Is it worth it

Hawaiidan

I am looking for input as to the worth of getting a Suite SD or SY on the Newt Amsterdam, on a 29 day sailing from Venice to Ft Lauderdale.

I am booked in a large inside 200 sq ft which has a great layout, and that and the price are what drew me to the cheaper cabin. I figgured to spend my money on shore stuff.

My question is is it worth the extra...in as much as you dont really get much more in service in the suite than in the inside, a little lounge....

I have in past sailed on Regent Seven Seas up ro 35 days at a time

and am aware of the huge extras one gets in that line.. But I just dont see what I get other than a baclony and a jetted tub and a dressing room.....and free CD's. No discount, Liquor, or dining gratis etc. just 160 more sq ft

Thats why I booked an inside.. because they seem to get 90% of the features of a suite.

Whats the feeling... out there?

Comments a suite vs a large inside cabin which has a killer layout

This is one of those questions where the answer can really only come from the person asking. :)

I am willing to pay more for a balcony, but that's because of my preferences -- I much prefer to enjoy the scenery from the privacy of my own balcony than the public decks. Others much prefer the camaraderie of the public decks and being able to see much more at a time, so why bother paying more for a balcony?

SD Suite!! What are you talking about?

PS is the Penthouse Suite.

Then there are the SA, SB and SC Deluxe Suite.

After that comes the SS, SZ ans SY.

Please explain the SD to me.

I have sailed on all HAL ships except the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Prinsendam.

And the Nieuw is the sister ship of the Eurodam that we have sailed on.

SY's are very nice spacious cabins with nice sized verandhas. You do get 24 hour concierge services which can be nice if used. Better location-I guess you pay for the view.

We had a SY on the MS Noordam and would do it again.

It really depends on your budget and desire.

I am looking for input as to the worth of getting a Suite SD or SY on the Newt Amsterdam, on a 29 day sailing from Venice to Ft Lauderdale.

I am booked in a large inside 200 sq ft which has a great layout, and that and the price are what drew me to the cheaper cabin. I figgured to spend my money on shore stuff.

My question is is it worth the extra...in as much as you dont really get much more in service in the suite than in the inside, a little lounge....

I have in past sailed on Regent Seven Seas up ro 35 days at a time

and am aware of the huge extras one gets in that line.. But I just dont see what I get other than a baclony and a jetted tub and a dressing room.....and free CD's. No discount, Liquor, or dining gratis etc. just 160 more sq ft

Thats why I booked an inside.. because they seem to get 90% of the features of a suite.

Whats the feeling... out there?

Comments a suite vs a large inside cabin which has a killer layout

By the way (just noticed) welcome to Cruise Critics. Aloha!

I've sailed on HAL in inside cabins, suites, and everything in between. My cabin choices now depend on the HAL ship/class, and my travel companions.

If there will be 3 people in the cabin, I insist on a suite.

But I almost always book an inside when I'm sailing solo.

Do I ready your post correctly - you've already booked an inside cabin? Are you satisfied you've got one with "a killer layout"? (On HAL, most are K's or J's.)

BTW - welcome to this forum!

I have decided to stick with the inisde as I never use a conciergie and had a butler for 30 days on Regent that other than serving snacks once a day was a waste of money and only was good only for ego... I prefer on deck views just as good... The J has the same size bedroom as a suite and more than any V cabin.....

My Wife And I are low maint.

Since HAL dosent do really anything for a suite guest other than charge you $8000 more ... They ought to include comp-dining at all restauraunts and comp wine and liquor stocked wet bar for that price.... Paying for Regent Prices for Hal ships and service in not, to me ,a good deal. $8K buys a lot of shore and other fun....

Thankyou again for the input

Glad to hear you're happy with your J cabin - hope it's one on Main deck. Those are the best on Nieuw Amsterdam.

It's true SY cabin passengers don't get any special perks other than telephone concierge, but has anyone told you about the perks for PH, SA, SB, and SC cabins? I addition to the Neptune Lounge/concierge, you do get:

(from HAL website)

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Definitely not arguing with your logic. Always been happy in HAL inside cabins. Hope you enjoy HAL wine policy (bring unlimited aboard). HAL isn't Regent, so hope you don't miss the extra luxury of Regent's 6 star cruising. Best way to find out is to try! Enjoy!

20 + day cruise with an inside cabin.... .....Not for me. That is way to long to NOT have a veranda, or an outside window. personally I would book a deluxe suite because I like the extra perks and service. To me it is worth the price and for a 20+ day cruise it would be essential. I would even try to upgrade to a Penthouse suite if I could get it! But SY or SS cabins are really nice as well.

20 + day cruise with an inside cabin.... .....Not for me.

And, as they say, that's what makes horseraces. The longest cruise I've taken in an inside was 35 days, and that was a guaranteed share with a total stranger!

But then, bunking down in the "cheap seats" is what makes it possible for me to cruise as much as I do. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Gotta agree with you Ruth. ( I seem to do that alot) We have sailed in every catergory except the PH and are just as happy with an inside or OV guarantee. We can cruise twice as much this way. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I have decided to stick with the inisde as I never use a conciergie and had a butler for 30 days on Regent that other than serving snacks once a day was a waste of money and only was good only for ego... I prefer on deck views just as good... The J has the same size bedroom as a suite and more than any V cabin.....

My Wife And I are low maint.

Since HAL dosent do really anything for a suite guest other than charge you $8000 more ... They ought to include comp-dining at all restauraunts and comp wine and liquor stocked wet bar for that price.... Paying for Regent Prices for Hal ships and service in not, to me ,a good deal. $8K buys a lot of shore and other fun....

Thankyou again for the input

If you are happy with the inside, go for it. I have looked at Regent but not sailed them yet. What I found is that when I compared the category I like (SA) the rooms were smaller and the price was much higher. If you do like to drink wine,soda or water, HAL lets you bring all you want on board to drink in your room. A suite with a verandah makes it much easier to take advantage of this than an inside IMO. Remember HAL is not a 6 star cruise line, but it is as close as you can get without paying the prices IMO. Hope you enjoy your cruise and have a great time. :):):)

I have sailed on HAL and yes I know it is not Regent where the norm is $1000 a day. I have sailed in everything too from penthouse suites on Regent to inside on NCl..... I am not expecting the Ritz at motel 6 prices.

Having had a month on Regent I enjoyed the nature of HAL...My wife and I decided we cant top our past experience so why try. We like HAL too and for the difference in price thats even better.

And as several posters said...you can cruise more. For me its not a question of $$... but that of value. When I saw the layout of the J cabin at 200 ft.. and its large space and corner sofa.. it was totaly a breath of fresh air.. the cabin has more usable floor space than outside veranda. Also its access to elevators and such is great.. very central.

I was un aware of the soda and wine policy.... thats good to know.

Verandas are nice but do I really need one?.. I can go on deck at any time. Having been in the navy and owned crusing sailboat am comfortable with inside as well .

I dont need a anything... I also am aware that the lower one gets on a ship the nicer the ride and crossing the Atlantic for 7 days can be more than interesting

For me the process of sailing is more important than the features of a suite... It would be nice but what could I do with the money.... spent it on experiences that would enhance the overall trip... meals, wine, shore trips...

However, to each his own. and I do appreciate everyones input.

Thanks

Took my bride on our honeymoon in a B category on the Ryndam. Just let me say that was a big mistake....the cabin choice not the marriage :o....and she considers that the lowest acceptable now. Pointed out an inside on one of our cruises and she later remarked, jokingly of course, that she saw stalactites hanging from the ceiling. I got the message..... :rolleyes: Seriously, it turns out she's mildly claustrophobic and would not be comfortable where she couldn't get outside or at least see outside. Have to admit it's actually been nice and we just know that we'll be in a veranda cabin of some sort.

I agree with Ruth. (I hope to meet up with her on some future cruise, by the way.) I travel solo, and I don't mind at all having an interior cabin. One of the joys of cruising is getting out on deck or sitting in the Explorer's Lounge and meeting interesting people. I did have a verandah on a TA on the Noordam last fall because the price was right. But I didn't use it nearly as much as I expected. There was so much going on during the day when we were at sea, and I took some lovely shore excursions when in port. It was great returning to the ship, chatting with nice people over lunch and sitting in a deck chair and chatting some more. As the song goes: "No use just sitting alone in your room, come to the cabaret!!!!" But, to each her/his own.

:o I'll probably never stay in a suite, so tell me --what am I missing out on if I do not have a "concierge" ? Thanks.

While certainly nice I don't think the concierge alone is a reason to book a suite. We book suites for the room and the wonderful veranda and the Neptune Lounge, the concierge, and the other amenities just come with the package. We'd still book suites if those perks weren't there, in fact, we did well before the advent of these on HAL and have on other lines that don't have those amenities.

HONESTLY, to mee its more show than go for the ego.. same with a buter

/ "Oh. Carlton. do be a good fellor and fetch for me...."

The reality is that what they can do for you is little more than what you can do for yourself....

I sort of felt un-comfortable .

Having sailed in a penthouse.. my wife now has as much fun in an inside, we sleep better and she loves it..as much. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On Hal and other mid range ships every cabin gets the same meals service and charges for the most part so my original question was to quire if I got an erks that would warrent......:o

We have sailed in many different cabin categories.If I can manage it I will always book a suite. I love the additional space, I am on the balcony all the time and am always surprised that everyone else is not on theirs as well. The only real perk that we enjoy is the breakfast in the pinnacle and the laundry, if we don't book the full suite I will try for an sy, same issue, extra space

Archived