Northern Cruisers may get a Northern Lights show

maxout

But won't the cruisers in the far north have trouble seeing display when it's daylight out all night? I'm thinking of those on the Prinsendam, very north of the Arctic Circle.

How long is this supposed to go on? I'm wondering if I have a chance to see the Northern Lights on my Alaska cruise next week.

But won't the cruisers in the far north have trouble seeing display when it's daylight out all night? I'm thinking of those on the Prinsendam, very north of the Arctic Circle.

How long is this supposed to go on? I'm wondering if I have a chance to see the Northern Lights on my Alaska cruise next week.

Most of what I've read seems to indicate it should last for 3-4 days but it seems to be like dress code enforcement, an inexact science ;)

Most of what I've read seems to indicate it should last for 3-4 days but it seems to be like dress code enforcement, an inexact science ;)

Okay. I won't get my hopes up then. It's something I've always wanted to see, but never thought I would get the chance. It's tough to be this close, but yet so far.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the info.

It just hit the earth at 1:40pm EDT. It was a moderate flare and northern lights have been seen at as far south as Denmark 56 degree lat. They usually last 3 days for a moderate flare. However you never know another flare could happen.

We've lived where you can regularly see the aurora borealis. It is breathtaking. I can remember the first time I saw them -- I stood in the freezing cold night for an hour watching.

We sometimes get them where we live now, but last night was cloud-covered for most of the night. I was up several times checking :)

For everyone who wants to see them, and has not yet, I fervently hope you get the chance!

I was born and raised in Central Illinois and I can remember the "big" solar cycle that peaked around 1960. We saw the Aurora in Illinois then - we were at the same latitude as San Francisco and Philadelphia and the Aurora was very bright then. At their peak, solar cycles cause the Aurora to be seen even further south than this and also cause radio and television signals to bounce at lower-then-normal frequency levels. I rember getting a TV station from Denver, CO from our house in Decatur, Illinois.

Sunspot cycles usually follow 11-year cycles. The last cycle peaked around 2000 to 2001. This cycle is running a bit late and is expected to peak in the year 2013 but be very strong from 2012 to 2014. Here is a good link:

http://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/index.php?title=Sunspot_Cycle

Ruth, I think you will still have a chance to see it Next week, but remember that Alaska is pretty far north as well and darkness is only late at night until early morning! Have a great trip, Wish I was cruising Alaska.... ....stiull my favorite cruise IT. :)

I was born and raised in Central Illinois and I can remember the "big" solar cycle that peaked around 1960. We saw the Aurora in Illinois then - we were at the same latitude as San Francisco and Philadelphia and the Aurora was very bright then. At their peak, solar cycles cause the Aurora to be seen even further south than this and also cause radio and television signals to bounce at lower-then-normal frequency levels. I rember getting a TV station from Denver, CO from our house in Decatur, Illinois.

Sunspot cycles usually follow 11-year cycles. The last cycle peaked around 2000 to 2001. This cycle is running a bit late and is expected to peak in the year 2013 but be very strong from 2012 to 2014. Here is a good link:

http://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/index.php?title=Sunspot_Cycle

Yes, I saw them in Macon, Georgia! I was 12 years old at the time, but I remember it so well. A once-in-a-lifetime display of shimmering ribbons dancing in the sky.

Ruth, I think you will still have a chance to see it Next week, but remember that Alaska is pretty far north as well and darkness is only late at night until early morning! Have a great trip, Wish I was cruising Alaska.... ....stiull my favorite cruise IT. :)

Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for them. Since the Amsterdam starts out in Seattle, the sky will be dark at night---eventually! Glad I won't be sailing around June 20.

Archived