Are knitting needles allowed on board?

leswor

My wife has recently taken up knitting and I cannot find any information about whether knitting needles etc are allowed on board ship. Can anyone help please?

Looking forward to all the nice sweaters, mufflers, gloves, hats, socks, etc you'll be wearing....better forget the Caribbean cruises and go for the Alaska, Cape Horn, Artic Circle cruises!

Denny

I don't know why the last poster gave the advice to pack knitting needles in checked luggage. I have carried them aboard in hand luggage on every cruise, and never had a moment's trouble. If you are referring to not having them in hand luggage on an airplane, again, rules vary by airline but most allow them under current regulations.

I have heard that TSA does not allow knitting needles aboard the cabin of an airplane because they are afraid that you are knitting an afgan.

That is too funny. As my dad used to say, "I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot Pole. ...or an eight foot Hungarian..." *ba-da-bump*

Be sure to pack them in checked luggage.

As recently as a couple of months ago, they were fine to take in the cabin. I usally use circulars, as they are less likely to poke a seatmeate. (the #2 dpns get odd looks :rolleyes:) Check the latest TSA list.

Sara

But they ARE allowed on the plane also if she would like to knit while waiting for the plane, while flying, while waiting for the luggage, while waiting for the taxi, while traveling in the taxi, and after boarding the ship :D

Small projects such as socks and mittens work well for travel btw. Scarves work too. Afghans, sweaters, and shawls can sometimes be bulky.

Happy knitting!

K

But they ARE allowed on the plane also if she would like to knit while waiting for the plane, while flying, while waiting for the luggage, while waiting for the taxi, while traveling in the taxi, and after boarding the ship :D

Small projects such as socks and mittens work well for travel btw. Scarves work too. Afghans, sweaters, and shawls can sometimes be bulky.

Happy knitting!

K

The last time we took a land trip to London I was able to take knitting needles on the plane for the trip to London. On leaving London I assumed I could carry them again, but at the last minute I checked with security and was told they were not allowed.

I don't know why they are allowed--if you sharpened the tips of metal needles they could certainly make a good weapon.

On a recent plane trip, my friend had her bamboo needles confiscated - she actually had to pull the stitches off and surrender the needles. She had bought bamboo because she was told that they were acceptable. There does not seem to be a standard rule, it varies by airline, airport and inspector (or day of the week or something). No problem on the ship though.

Sheila

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

I don't know what the Canadian TSa is. But in the US we have the right to knit and fly. (without circular cutters it seems)

Aha! Also allowed in Canada http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=5&pname=Permitteditems&lang=en&ItemID=189&CategoryID=6

I am co owner of a yarn shop - we get these questions all the time.

Domestically, you can take needles on the plane anywhere. Circulars are preferred. (we did have one customer who had needles confiscated in Missouri - don't know why)

Internationally, leaving the US, there is no problem, unless you are flying on El AL. Not allowed.

As one poster reported, London has the strictest rules. No knitting needles. For other countries, you should ask security at the airport to be certain. I have never had a problem but I ask before I check my luggage.

It's a good idea to carry a stitch holder or a piece of yarn to save your knitting in case you lose your needles!

Just returned 1 week ago from California to NY, wooden circular needles in carryon, allowed through TSA check. Domestic flights allow knitting needles within US, overseas flights pack in checked luggage. Advise to use wooden not metal. No problem aboard ships. Happy knitting to your wife.

TSA in Canada is slightly different. I flew from Denver to Vancouver with my 3.5" embroidery scissors in my bag. No problem. Unfortunately I left them in there and forgot about them. When I next flew from Vancouver to San Francisco, they took them on me. The security guy apologized and said they are trying to get the Canadian rules to match the US ones but so far, haven't succeeded.

As I said earlier, I carry knitting needles on domestic flights all the time. I also carry a copy of the TSA "allowed items" list from their website. The one time I was questioned about the needles, I politely asked to speak to a supervisor, showed her the list, and she said "no problem". I have also carried them on board the ship, as I like to knit while waiting to board. Never ever have I been stopped.

As a previous poster mentioned, but prepared to slip your stitches onto a stitch holder (or piece of yarn) if security decides to confiscate your needles. Although they are allowed (in theory), it seems to be the decision of the person screening you (and their supervisors at that moment). You can stand there and argue all you want (and risk being subjected to more extensive screening)- or you can turn them over & continue on your trip.

Several years ago, security at the dock in NYC attempted to confiscate my metal knitting needles (probably size 13- I remember I was knitting a prayer shawl). This was not TSA nor was it the cruiseline; it was NYC's dock security (to get on the ship). We called over a supervisor who explained that they could be used as a weapon, etc. I was about to give up when DD (a teenager at the time), loudly exclaimed that if I wanted to kill someone, I'd go to the steakhouse onboard and get a steak knife- it would work better. They let me (and the needles) onboard.

Since then, I pack knitting needles in my checked bag and only crochet onboard planes or going onboard ships.

Here's another odd airport security story -- a couple of years ago on a trip to Italy I thought I had lost my embroidery scissors so I bought another pair (and learned a new word in Italian in the process). Then I found the original ones in a pocket, so flying home I had both pairs with me in carryon. No problem leaving Italy. For some reason, there was another screening as I changed planes in France and they took one pair of the scissors. They told me that one pair was allowed, but two were not. (!?!) I never quite figured that one out.

Archived