Tips on sleeping on overnight flight to Europe?

vmarq

And sometimes I'll see people across the aisle recline their seat, then spend the whole flight leaning forward working on their laptop on the tray table!

I'm afraid that shorter folks just don't understand what it is like to be "all legs"...they think we do it on purpose!

Short legs can be a problem also. Your feet may not touch the ground and they just hang there, making it very hard on your back. I use my small carryon to brace my feet against. I am 5'2" tall. I love to be in Business class for the foot rest alone. Sleeping on a plane is really and impossibility for me. This trip we are on BA and we could not use our ff for upgrade. So we will be 9 hours on the red eye.

And sometimes I'll see people across the aisle recline their seat, then spend the whole flight leaning forward working on their laptop on the tray table!

I'm afraid that shorter folks just don't understand what it is like to be "all legs"...they think we do it on purpose!

I'm short as well - 5'-2" - but I can tell you there is nothing that bugs me more as those people that put back their seats and then lean forward. I mean what is the point. I once sat behind a couple that did that. We were in first class so they had plenty of room in front of them, but they sat down, reclined theirs seats and then - not once - did they lean all the way back. They actually sat leaning forward so their backs never came close to the seat. What was the point! Of course these same people must have gotten up at least 10 times to get things out of their carry on - well, more like they rearranged their carry on that many times.

I'm short as well - 5'-2" - but I can tell you there is nothing that bugs me more as those people that put back their seats and then lean forward. I mean what is the point. I once sat behind a couple that did that. We were in first class so they had plenty of room in front of them, but they sat down, reclined theirs seats and then - not once - did they lean all the way back. They actually sat leaning forward so their backs never came close to the seat. What was the point! Of course these same people must have gotten up at least 10 times to get things out of their carry on - well, more like they rearranged their carry on that many times.

I agree with you intirely. It is almost like they are in your lap. I have had them leave there seat back even when they are eating. They should be required to put their seats up when people are eating.

I'm another one who's all of 5'2" and also use my carry-on as a foot rest. Otherwise my feet would be dangling a couple of inches above the floor. The pressure of the edge of the seat on the back of my legs makes them go numb. Not good on a long flight. That's why I've never upgraded my trusty hard-sided carry-on. It's multi-purpose. ;)

Ambien or Lunesta are the most important things for me on an overnite flight. Take one right before dinner and you will be lucky to make it to dessert. Either has worked wonders for us for many years. ;)

I agree. Melatonin helps well enough if I'm in a regular bed, but for an airplane seat in coach I need something that will really knock me out and keep me out for the durations of the flight. Flying last month I had a nice heavy dinner, then and Ambien washed down with a vodka drink. Neck pillow and noise-reducing headphones/ipod as well.

Bojangles, I'm in Tucson as well, and we are sailing on Avalon as well in Oct from Budapest to Prague. How the heck are you getting there in 9 hours? Avalon put us on Delta from Tucson to Atlanta, Atlanta to Amsterdam, and Amsterdam to Budapest....we leave at 7 AM from Tucson and get into Budapest at noon the next day....I think it is 22 hours. The way back is Prague-Amsterdam-Atlanta-Tucson, leaving at 7 AM and getting home at 8:30 PM.

I`ve never been able to sleep on long flights. Tylenol PM-Jack Daniels- nothing really has worked for me. A Med. translantic cruise to FLL may be in our future and I am considering getting to Europe via Cunard. No jet lag and an enjoyable cruise.

I only get good sleep if the conditions are PERFECT. At home, I have a sound machine that plays "fan" sounds. I recently discovered that ITunes has "sounds" available for download to the IPod. I now have several versions of fan & white noise that I can play on a continuous loop. That, in conjunction w/ eye shades, pillow, blankie & half an Ambien at least makes it a possibility.

Bojangles, I'm in Tucson as well, and we are sailing on Avalon as well in Oct from Budapest to Prague. How the heck are you getting there in 9 hours? Avalon put us on Delta from Tucson to Atlanta, Atlanta to Amsterdam, and Amsterdam to Budapest....we leave at 7 AM from Tucson and get into Budapest at noon the next day....I think it is 22 hours. The way back is Prague-Amsterdam-Atlanta-Tucson, leaving at 7 AM and getting home at 8:30 PM.

The nine hours is from Dallas Ft. worth to London only. The complete trip from Tucson is about 22 hrs also. We go from Tucson to DFW to Heathrow to Budapest. Coming Back we go from Prague to Heathrow,DFW to Tucson. Its a long way regardless, especially in coach. I just hope it will be a little cooler than we are now. Donna

OK, I get it now!!! I thought maybe you somehow got "fabulous" connections from Avalon.....ours are OK but we had a trauma a few months ago....they had us leaving Tucson at 7 AM and getting into Budapest after 7 PM.....effectively cancelling our first day of vacation. Christopher Elliott the travel columnist helped me out after Avalon wouldn't, and we have pretty good connections now. Have a great trip!!!

Was in Denver for the weekend, and I asked TSA agents on both ends Tucson and Denver about NyQuil. They told me that "it depends" on what kind of agent you get. If it is needed for a medical problem (ie...you have a cold)...no problem. If you want it specifically to sleep they recommend tablets like Benadryl. However, they said that if you just get a note from your doctor saying you need it they will allow you to carry it onboard. I have prescription cough medicine that I carry onboard whenever I am on a long trip just "in case"....and have never had a problem.

As a silly side....I got stopped today because I had 2 jars of Johnny's Seasoning Salt and one of Johnny's Salad Seasoning in my carryon..they took them out, sent them back through, then swabbed all 3 of them (unopened) for explosives. My stepmom's husband had given them to us, and we gave him a hard time after we got home!

I used a "first class sleeper" that I bought on-line and won't take a long flight without it. It worked for both my DH and me just as advertised.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjqTHXsk02yCNyW_BZ4G5-3X6Q_RVk9S0RM_Awe_n7kAqouc&t=1&usg=__2b_0LQhDIvxPTVyA7xRwSSejf3k=

We also took our own travel blankets, eye shades, ear plugs and extra socks so we could kick off our shoes.

You are very lucky. A LOT of airlines have banned "first class sleeper". Do NOT be surprised if they tell you to put it away.

Booking cruise line air gives you crappy connections. Should have checked this out. LOT (Polish airline) flies into Warsaw nonstop from the USA with a direct connection to Budapest. BUT the cruise lines DO NOT negotiate with foreign airlines for the best connections.

Greatam, believe me, I checked it out. I put the cruise out to bid, and I also checked no less than 25 online sites....as well as the airfare sites, however...I could not get ANYONE to give me the $200 roundtrip airfare from Tucson to Budapest, then Prague to Tucson, including airfare and fees. My TA also picked up all of my port charges and fees on our river cruise. We are on Avalon on Oct 21....Budapest to Prague...and we are very happy with our fare. It sucks that it takes so long to get from Tucson, but it always does. I am not going into Warsaw, do don't know where you came upon that (direct from Tucson)????.....let me know if you can find airfare from Tucson to Budapest then Prague to Tucson, how long it takes, and if it costs more than $200. Thanks!! I appreciate it.

One caution on sleep aids...wait until your flight has reached cruising altitude or at least is climbing out. Why? You don't want to be a zombie (or unable to be awakened) if your flight is cancelled, has a problem and returns to the gate, or worst-case if you have to evacuate due to a takeoff emergency. Same thing on arrival- time it so you're awake and alert for planned or unplanned activities.

For all you experienced med. cruisers, what advice can you give to enhance sleeping on these international overnight flights? Does taking a neck pillow, blinders help? Melatonin? Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Vicki

Take 2 Benadryl and call me in the morning.

Greatam, believe me, I checked it out. I put the cruise out to bid, and I also checked no less than 25 online sites....as well as the airfare sites, however...I could not get ANYONE to give me the $200 roundtrip airfare from Tucson to Budapest, then Prague to Tucson, including airfare and fees. My TA also picked up all of my port charges and fees on our river cruise.

Another happy customer who bought on price.

You don't pay the money, you takes your chances -- to update the old line.

I'm too scared to take any sleep aid on the plane, because in the chance they don't work (which with me is a very strong chance though ambien does very well in a BED) then not only will i be exhausted and not sleeping on the flight, I'll also be in a fog all the next day.

Guess I just have to deal with sleeplessness. We did it last year, we can do it again! lol

Fkyertalker, I AM happy...sorry you got the impression I wasn't. For $200 I'll gladly take a few more hous. And, you really can't get anywhere from Tucson easily. Someone earlier had said tjey had a 9 hour trip from Tucson, but that was miscommunication as well, she meant one leg was 9 hours. I am thrilled to be going on this trip and I am extra thrilled at the price!

You are very lucky. A LOT of airlines have banned "first class sleeper". Do NOT be surprised if they tell you to put it away.

This is the first I've heard of that. I wonder why? :confused: Would it be the "wedge" near the bottom that pushes your backside toward the front of the seat to straighten out your body? That's the only thing that I can see. At least you'd have your seatbelt on where a lot of passengers don't unless the seatbelt sign is on. Very interesting.

Someone said not to take a nap when you land or your body clock won't get reset. I say do whatever you need to do. After our first flight to Rome when neither of us barely slept, we got to our hotel about 9:30am and went straight to bed. We woke up around 4pm when a phone was ringing in another room. We stayed up for a few hours, ate an early dinner, and went to bed early. We were fine from that point on.

When we're able to sleep on the flight, we can do some things the day we arrive. It really depends.

TA flights are often chilly, so I wear a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and light jacket on the plane. I can take off layers if I need to.

I always bring my neck pillow, eye mask, iPod Touch, and Kindle.

If you're going to try any kind of drug sleep aid, be sure you try it at home first so you find out if it causes bad side effects for you.

• 2 weeks later...

greatam, I've just bought a "first class sleeper" :confused: - can you verify where you have read/heard about airlines banning their use, and which airlines? I make the LAX/LHR eleven hour flight most every year and always have a hard time sleeping (or when I do, I get back, neck and shoulder pain) so I am willing to try anything.

twoputt.plusone: As you have had success with your "sleeper" any hints on how to use it correctly - it's difficult to test it out on chairs at home.

greatam, I've just bought a "first class sleeper" :confused: - can you verify where you have read/heard about airlines banning their use, and which airlines? I make the LAX/LHR eleven hour flight most every year and always have a hard time sleeping (or when I do, I get back, neck and shoulder pain) so I am willing to try anything.

twoputt.plusone: As you have had success with your "sleeper" any hints on how to use it correctly - it's difficult to test it out on chairs at home.

I discovered a few things when we were inflight: don't inflate it until you're at cruising altitude; don't over-inflate (11 regular breaths should do it); don't try to use it without having your seatbelt on. When I was trying to deflate it the first time, I had to find that magic spot on the valve where it wouldn't whistle but still let the air out. Both my DH and I love them. At least it was possible to get some real sleep as oppossed to just napping. One of the major newspapers in Toronto has quite an extensive travel section on weekends. Imagine my surprize when I saw a write-up on the 1st class sleeper by their travel editor. BTW - he liked it too. That's not to discount greatam's comments. I'm sure she has her reasons to believe they may be banned by some airlines. She's given me a lot of help with flights over the years. :) But until I'm told that I can't use it, I'll just keep on. ;)

Archived