Tips on sleeping on overnight flight to Europe?

vmarq

For all you experienced med. cruisers, what advice can you give to enhance sleeping on these international overnight flights? Does taking a neck pillow, blinders help? Melatonin? Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Vicki

I did the weekly travel thing for 7 years - and hated red-eye/overnight flights. I'm one who just doesn't sleep well on a plane. Best advice are those things already mentioned - eye mask to block out the light, ear plugs or an iPod with some classical music and some sleep aid medication. Melatonin works to help adjust from jet lag, but I've found it doesn't help when I'm actually on a flight. It may sound counter intuitive, but don't drink (much) if you're trying to get some sleep. You'll won't sleep as deeply and will be prone to waking frequently.

If you can score an upgrade to business or first class, it's much easier to sleep - as the seat will recline and have a footrest.

If I'm in coach - it's a bit easier for me to have the window seat if I'm trying to sleep...as I can put my head against the window when trying to sleep.

Good luck! :)

Also, if you sleep you don't get up and walk around so you may get edema in your legs so either get compression stockings and wear them to keep your circulation working or set an alarm and get up halfway through your flight and walk around for 10 - 15 minutes. Also get good earplugs that fit completely into your years so that you minimize noise. you should also search online for discounts on international flights business class.

We flew round trip to/from London on British Air for about $150 extra each way (to/from Los Angeles)with seats that laid flat through a special with Cooks (American Express)travel. It was well worth it as one of us got sick with a bad cold on the way back and slept for all but one hour, while because of the configuration I had a wall between the two seats and could watch a movie without disturbing her. We searched for flights on the various transcontinental/Atlantic airlines on expedia, kayak and other search sites until we found a flash sale within our pre-determined budget. Also check if you can consolidate mileage from partner airlines or Points.com to get enough for an upgrade. You have to do a little work, but it is worth it.

I used to swear by 10mg Ambien, but have now found that it leaves me feeling foggy...not exactly what I want arriving in a new city. Now I take Lunesta. It leaves a horrid taste in your mouth unless you use a trick I read on the Internet. Fill your mouth full of water, tip it up, open, pop the pill in and swallow. No issues after that. I also try adjusting my schedule for a week or so ahead of time, if I can, particularly going east, which I fnd much harder than going west.

Agree with Amtrack: I don't sleep, either. I love to fly, so I'm generally too excited to sleep (okay, I'm a dork). Plus, if I'm paying ($ or miles) for business class, I want to be awake to enjoy it! And, call me crazy, but I wouldn't want to be drugged up on Ambien or whatever if there were an emergency. Missing one night's sleep never killed anyone -- you'll get a second wind around midmorning and will be good to go for the rest of the day. Whatever you do, though, do not take a nap when you land. Just stay up til bedtime, even if you go to bed ridiculously early at 8 or 9 -- if you nap during the day, you'll never get your body clock reset.

Another thing...if you're going to use ear plugs or listen to music...then it's best to get your body to associate them and sleep before you leave. So for a few days before the trip put ear plugs in your ears and have a fan going in the background and ensure you're able to fall asleep.

I found a few times that because I wasn't used to them they kept me up rather than helping me sleep.

The secret to getting a good night's sleep is in the forward part of the airplane.

Fly Business or First like I do - and always have a great sleep.

Choose an airline that has flat beds and great champagne by the glass.

I love those flat beds, they are fantastic, we have had flights in first many times on planes that offer these. Thank you ff miles, as I don't think I would ever consider paying $13000 for an overnite flight so that I could have a flat bed seat, no matter how comfy it was. lol

I prefer an aisle seat. I agree a window seats better for your head to lay on but sometimes the noise is more and it can be too hot or cold as the heater-cooling duct is right at your feet. The aisle seat give you more freedom to get up and stretch without disturbing others.

framer

NyQuil. I swear by it. And nowadays with all the travel restrictions regarding what you can take in your carry on, you can still buy it, in the airport, at the shops/newsstands by the gate :)

I did weekly business travel for years and wish I had discovered my little secret weapon back then.

NyQuil. I swear by it :)

Cheers!

When we're lucky enough to fly business class and have generous seats that go flat, I find it relatively easy to sleep. I don't feel like I'm "missing" anything because the primary reason I like bsiness class is the flat seat.

In coach, I need Ambien--and that only gets me 5-6 hours, but that's enough to be functional the next day. It doesn't make me groggy the next day. If I stay up all night, I can't enjoy my first day in Europe because I'm so tired.

I got a prescription for sleeping pills from my doctor. I may take half a one on the plane but more usually wait till my first night at destination. I stay up as long as I can then take half a pill and sleep the night. Gets me on local tiem quickly

The advice I read over and over is: no alcohol. That might help for a little while but not on an overnight flight. When flying from LAX to LHR, it's a very long flight so I try to get a good night's sleep the night before and take melatonin after dinner. I also have a prescription for Xanax (a very low dosage) and I take half of one of those. I usually don't sleep but do get some snoozes in. I listen to my iPod to help block out cabin noise.

For the past few years, I've flown Biz Class which helps. There are huge differences between the seat comfort between airlines. Delta is the pits; the seats barely go back and the leg rest comes up only halfway. Hawaiian Airlines is even worse; if you're tempted to pay for Biz Class on Hawaiian Airlines, save your money. It is so not worth it. British Airways is among the best with real lie-flat seats. Lufthansa is very good as well. I'm flying United to LHR in a couple of weeks and it'll be my first time flying Biz with them. We're returning on AA but that's cross country, not international.

Archived