Tips on sleeping on overnight flight to Europe?

vmarq

Well, since we are on a cruising board, I will share this.... I find that meclazine (generic for Dramamine/Bonine) usually relaxes me. Since I like to start it before cruising, I will take it for an overnight flight.

For all you experienced med. cruisers, what advice can you give to enhance sleeping on these international overnight flights? Does taking a neck pillow, blinders help? Melatonin? Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Vicki

We find that flying to US is fine - no jet lag at all and no problems dozing on the flight (early starts to get to airport). However, returning to UK we always use our noise cancelling headphones with our Ipod and listen to either an audio book or music with eye shades and neck pillow. Take one 3 mg Melatonin on the morning of the flight (usually an evening one) and another with dinner. Usually get a fair amount of sleep. My problem is the jet-leg which seems to occur a couple of days after our return. Have solved this by taking melatonin for two or three nights at bedtime until sleep patterns have returned to normal. Also try to get into the time zones of the place we are visiting or when returning home, so always change the time on my watch to the time at destination

All this good advice goes for naught if the guy behind me grabs my headrest to assist him in exiting his seat. Someday I'm going to rap someone on the nose for doing it, as sleeping on a plane is not easy for me. BTW another good way to get some sleep is to fly in business class. :) For just a few dollars more :) :)

The only time I have been able to sleep well on a long international flight was on one from L.A. to Sydney that left about 11:00 PM, and on which we could lie down almost flat. I do think that leaving as late as possible helps.

All this good advice goes for naught if the guy behind me grabs my headrest to assist him in exiting his seat. Someday I'm going to rap someone on the nose for doing it, as sleeping on a plane is not easy for me. BTW another good way to get some sleep is to fly in business class. :) For just a few dollars more :) :)

I checked out the difference between business and coach for my trip to Barcelona - not a few dolloars more - like $2500 more:confused:

I love those flat beds, they are fantastic, we have had flights in first many times on planes that offer these. Thank you ff miles, as I don't think I would ever consider paying $13000 for an overnite flight so that I could have a flat bed seat, no matter how comfy it was. lol

$13,000? We got ours for just under $4000 a piece. BA has great lie-flat Bus. Class beds as do many others now.

I've tried Ambien - didn't work. I rely on Benadryl and a lie-flat seat! ;)

All this good advice goes for naught if the guy behind me grabs my headrest to assist him in exiting his seat. Someday I'm going to rap someone on the nose for doing it, as sleeping on a plane is not easy for me.

That's called "the launch" in our house. :D We hate it when people do that too. If they can't get up with using the armrests and very gentle pressure on the seat in front of them, they should be glued to their seat for the flight's duration. :D

$13,000? We got ours for just under $4000 a piece. BA has great lie-flat Bus. Class beds as do many others now.

I've tried Ambien - didn't work. I rely on Benadryl and a lie-flat seat! ;)

I priced those first class seats just after I purchased them with ff miles, yep, they were $13000 (it wasn't a typo) :eek:.

I priced those first class seats just after I purchased them with ff miles, yep, they were $13000 (it wasn't a typo) :eek:.

Ah! You were talking about first class...I was talking about Bus. Class. No wonder. I know our Bus. Class seats right now are around $8000 per person. Glad I bought them when they were only mildly ridiculous. :cool:

I've heard that it's best to drink a lot of water. It worked well for us on our 19 hr. flight to Paris a few years ago. Despite the Ambien, 3 out of 4 of us didn't sleep a wink. We got in the van transfer to the hotel and one son went out cold.

He completely slumped over on me which made me die laughing...then it got my other son laughing. Every time the van driver would go around a corner, my older son (in the middle of us), would slump over on the other person. Between the absolutely crazy driving in Paris and this, we just about dying laughing. It's one of our favorite memories!!!! :D

Some of us (I'm 6 foot 1) have very long legs...I am all legs... and our knees are in the back of the seat in front of us when it is upright. When someone reclines into my lap my knees are in the back of the seat as there is nowhere else for them to go. I try putting my leg and foot out into the aisle, and my other leg and foot into the space of the person next to me, but it doesn't always work. Trust me, it is not intentional if my legs are in the back of your seat....and when I go to stand up or move it is very possible they hit the seat. When I go to get back into my seat, if the seat in front of me is reclined, there is no way to do it without touching that seat back...believe me, I've tried. I seriously wish that seats didn't recline....I never ever recline mine because I know how uncomfortable it is for me when I have someone on my knees.

I found a blow up pillow that you can blow up and put on the tray table and lean forward and sleep with your head on that. It is square and made to fit on the tray table. It has pockets for your hands so they don't fall out, and it is slanted. I saw it on skymall originally but got it on ebay. It works pretty well as far as resting your head, but again, if the seat in front is reclined there isn't that much space.

If I could afford business class you bet I'd be there!!

Ugh- I know what you mean stretchcruz. I'm only 5'10", but am all legs as well. The seat reclining can't possibly be that much more comfortable for the perosn in it, but let me tell you, it sure as you know what is uncomfortable for me as the person behind them ;)

*edit to add* I am talking about coach seats. Business and first are completely different, thank goodness.

And sometimes I'll see people across the aisle recline their seat, then spend the whole flight leaning forward working on their laptop on the tray table!

I'm afraid that shorter folks just don't understand what it is like to be "all legs"...they think we do it on purpose!

NyQuil. I swear by it. And nowadays with all the travel restrictions regarding what you can take in your carry on, you can still buy it, in the airport, at the shops/newsstands by the gate :)

NyQuil. I swear by it :)

That helps me get a good night's sleep too and I'm planning on using it on my next flight in a couple weeks.

Question: I use the liquid (cuz it has the alcohol as well as antihistamine to aid sleep), so am planning to use a small plastic bottle to carry 3 oz. of Nyquil in it. Even though the bottle will be a TSA-approved size, will they let me carry a bottle of unmarked medicine? I don't want to have to buy another bottle at the airport when I have 2 full ones already. Anyone done this?

That helps me get a good night's sleep too and I'm planning on using it on my next flight in a couple weeks.

Question: I use the liquid (cuz it has the alcohol as well as antihistamine to aid sleep), so am planning to use a small plastic bottle to carry 3 oz. of Nyquil in it. Even though the bottle will be a TSA-approved size, will they let me carry a bottle of unmarked medicine? I don't want to have to buy another bottle at the airport when I have 2 full ones already. Anyone done this?

As long as your liquid is in your quart ziplock bag, and is 3 ounces, they don't care what's in it.

According to the TSA website, you can bring your labeled liquid medication onboard even if it is over 3 ounces:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

I have asthma and routinely bring on cough medicine and other liquid medicines. Have never had a problem, you just tell them and it is fine. They do routinely scan my nebulizer and visually inspect everything, but I have never had them give me a problem over any of it.

According to the TSA website, you can bring your labeled liquid medication onboard even if it is over 3 ounces:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

I have asthma and routinely bring on cough medicine and other liquid medicines. Have never had a problem, you just tell them and it is fine. They do routinely scan my nebulizer and visually inspect everything, but I have never had them give me a problem over any of it.

That is correct, but I think the medicine carried on and not placed in the quart bag must be for a medical condition. Nyquil is not for a medical condition.

Cough, etc is not a medical condition? And Nyquil is usually for a cough and cold situation...

I need to go to bed as I get up at 5 AM for work, but I'll try to google tomorrow when I get home after 6 to see if I get an answer to it....will be interesting to see what it says. I've never had to bring an RX with me...they simply look at my meds and say OK. I think there are a lot of grey areas.

I used a "first class sleeper" that I bought on-line and won't take a long flight without it. It worked for both my DH and me just as advertised.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjqTHXsk02yCNyW_BZ4G5-3X6Q_RVk9S0RM_Awe_n7kAqouc&t=1&usg=__2b_0LQhDIvxPTVyA7xRwSSejf3k=

We also took our own travel blankets, eye shades, ear plugs and extra socks so we could kick off our shoes.

Archived