$400 000 returned by taxi driver

Winters in NZ

A California couple had left $400 000 in jewellry in their cab following their Alaska cruise. First question I would ask is WHY ?

Anyways, the happy ending is that the cab driver turned it in. Not sure which cruise line, but I've always liked Vancouver...a feel-good story.

Check nit on the Vancouver Sun site www.vancouversun.com

The couple tipped the driver $1,000. and the dispatcher $2,000.

:o Maybe I should have actually read the article! Actually, it says they split $2,000.

I notice, too, that the cab company employees were unaware of the value of the returned bag until afterwards, so it takes a little of the shine off the story. It's not like the cabbie said, "My goodness! A fortune in jewels! I must turn it over to its rightful owners." However, I do give the cabbie credit for not poking around in the bag in the first place. He certainly did the right thing and is to be commended, but it would be a different story if it were about a cabbie who had full knowledge of what he was returning to its rightful owners, and still did the right thing.

Where I live we had a story, not so long ago, of a police officer who was transporting a bag of money that the city had collected from fines, fees, and so on, to the bank. The officer put the bag of money on the roof of the police cruiser to unlock the door, got in, and drove off. The bag of money, about $10,000, was found in the street by a passing motorist, who immediately turned it in.

:o Maybe I should have actually read the article! Actually, it says they split $2,000.

I notice, too, that the cab company employees were unaware of the value of the returned bag until afterwards, so it takes a little of the shine off the story. It's not like the cabbie said, "My goodness! A fortune in jewels! I must turn it over to its rightful owners." However, I do give the cabbie credit for not poking around in the bag in the first place. He certainly did the right thing and is to be commended, but it would be a different story if it were about a cabbie who had full knowledge of what he was returning to its rightful owners, and still did the right thing.

Where I live we had a story, not so long ago, of a police officer who was transporting a bag of money that the city had collected from fines, fees, and so on, to the bank. The officer put the bag of money on the roof of the police cruiser to unlock the door, got in, and drove off. The bag of money, about $10,000, was found in the street by a passing motorist, who immediately turned it in.

My guess is that Jai Kirpal would have turned the bag in, with its contents intact, whether or not he had been advised of its value.

Over the years, I have lost a purse three different times in Vancouver, and each time I have had it returned to me with every single penny and credit card still in place. In every case, the finders went out of their way to locate me.

Despite what we hear in the news every day, there are still way more people out there who live their lives with integrity than those who do not. :)

A California couple had left $400 000 in jewellry in their cab following their Alaska cruise. First question I would ask is WHY ?

Anyways, the happy ending is that the cab driver turned it in. Not sure which cruise line, but I've always liked Vancouver...a feel-good story.

Check nit on the Vancouver Sun site www.vancouversun.com

What a nice feel good story!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Laura

In the article, it is mentioned that the bag had $400,000 worth of jewelry that the female passenger was going to wear for events during the cruise?

I checked the port schedule for last Saturday and the two ships that were in were from the Princess and Holland America cruise lines.

Fill me in here. When do you wear that magnitude of jewelry on the ship or during your port visits in Alaska??:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm sceptical about the value of the jewellery. She probably did have some valuable stuff, but $400,000? Why would anyone travel with that amount of valuables? I could see about $100,000-$125,000 if she had a large diamond engagement ring, necklace and tennis bracelet, but this seems to me that she over evaluated their worth in case the bag was not turned in and she had to make an insurance claim. I apologize if I'm wrong about this, but I don't think so.

Shelley

There are some that think having their things with them protects their things

I am always astonished by the people who get pickpocketed or lose their pocketbooks while on an excursion who have $2 -3000. or more in cash that is just gone. Ours is safely back in the safe or in our bank waiting to be accessed with an ATM. We take what we'll need that day and a credit card or possibly two if we think they may not take Amex.

I've known a number of women who travel with a lot more than that. I was on a cruise with a woman who had close to a million in jewelry. This was a Crystal world cruise so that may have been the reason. But then I was on a crossing from Lisbon to Miami, and a woman fell and broke her hip. She and her daughter had to be evac'd off the ship, to the Canary Islands. I was sitting at the Captain's table on that cruise (and I knew the Captain rather well) and he said he had to put their jewelry in his safe and he said the stuff was worth in the 7 figures. Heck, if you have a large diamond engagement ring, that could be worth $100K alone.

Amazing. If you have that much jewelry why are they taking a taxi?

Keith

That is what I was thinking. If you can afford that much jewelry you should be able to afford a hired car. In relative terms it would not be that much more expensive

Archived