16 day European cruise, too long?

suzyed

The westbound TA's are the best. First of all, you're fresh for the port-intensive first part and second, you get to rest up a bit on the second part. An additional bonus is you gain an hour nearly every night on the crossing.

One more tip. If you have enough vacation (and enough money) it's a good bargain to book a TA eastbound as well. That way you can purchase a R/T airfare which is usually just a bit more than one way. We've done that twice and will be doing it again next year. Hope you decide to book it. We did the 18 nighter on the Ruby and as mentioned before, the time just flew. Bon Voyage to all!

We are looking at the Ruby Princess in October and it's a cruise through ports in Europe with a 5 day transatlantic crossing to Ft. Lauderdale. Sounds wonderful, but is 16 days too long? We have never done longer than 7 days. Any input on the Ruby, Princess cruises(this will be our first with Princess) specialty restaurants, mini suites, length of cruise...would be appreciated! Thanks!

Not too long at all, we have been on for 79 days and did not want to get off. :)

Is there such a thing as too many days on a cruise?

I have always dreamed of reitiring and immediately going on a world (circumnavigation) cruise. I retired 19 days ago and reality being quite a different matter, we will instead be sailing on SP to Hawaii in January. Not quite a world cruise but "other worldly" instead.:o

Enjoy1 done it in 2008 was fantastic. But rather choppy! Sayin that the sea days on the way back drove me mad!:eek:

Our very first proper cruise was 16 nights from LA to Hawaii return. I must admit I had no idea what a proper cruise was but being from England I found some things very odd! Why have Grandparents bragging parties!!

Anyway The sea days were a hard slog for me. 5 each way! saying that Hawaii was fantastic but dont know if I would ever do 10 sea days again. Europe is such a diverse place, no country the same and travelling around the Med im sure you wont have many sea days so enjoy the holiday

We are looking at the Ruby Princess in October and it's a cruise through ports in Europe with a 5 day transatlantic crossing to Ft. Lauderdale. Sounds wonderful, but is 16 days too long? We have never done longer than 7 days. Any input on the Ruby, Princess cruises(this will be our first with Princess) specialty restaurants, mini suites, length of cruise...would be appreciated! Thanks!

We've done the 18 day version of the itinerary on the Emerald (2008) and Ruby (2009). For me, this is the best itinerary out there. I was very disapointed for 2010 they cut it down to 16 days and eliminated Florence & Lisbon (my favorite port). This change was a major reason we did not book this itinerary for this year. We booked the 2011 version because they returned to the 18 day itinerary. The 16 day version however still has some great ports that I'm sure you'll enjoy if you decide to sail.

You will love the Ruby as she is a beautiful ship. You must try both specialty dining venues at least once. I really wasn't wowed by the Crown Grill but nontheless enjoyed the whole experience. Two things you must do are the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (if you book a balcony cabin, mini suite, or full suite) and the Chef's table. For the CT, sign up for it (dine line or MD) as soon as you board.

As Shogun earlier postd, I also find it hard booking anything under 14 days with a lot of sea days. The only reason I booked our 7 day MR cruise in February is to give us Platinum status for our October 2011 T/A cruise on the Ruby. I love cruising so much that I don't want have to think about getting off the ship only after a few days of relaxing.

Overall, if you choose you to sail, I think you will have a fantastic cruise on the Ruby.....:):):)

Bob

Hi All

You poor US folks not getting paid holidays UK law 28 days plus 9 public

holidays.

Many companies give an extra days holiday for ever 5 years service

so 6 weeks holidays is normal

yours Shogun

Darn, after nearly 30 years of doing what I do, I only get four weeks.....:(:(:(

Bob

Hi All

You poor US folks not getting paid holidays UK law 28 days plus 9 public

holidays.

Many companies give an extra days holiday for ever 5 years service

so 6 weeks holidays is normal

yours Shogun

I have been working for the same company for almost 15 years and I only receive 3 weeks vacation. I don't get 4 weeks until I complete my 15th year. It's like the Captain's circle program when you become elite. It doesn't matter though because I can't even take 2 weeks in a row. I am trying to figure out a way to at least take a 9day cruise out of New York.

I think it will depend on your mindset. If you are prepared to stay on the ship that long, then you may be fine. I think that going from only doing 7 days to a 16 day is a huge jump. Again like someone else mentioned, a lot of the posters are veteran cruisers who can be on a cruise for the whole year and love it. We (DH and I) are usually gone for 12 days and there is a huge difference between us even. I could stay on for longer and he is itching to get off. He wants the normalcy of home. I think you need to watch what you eat so that it's not rich foods the entire time, because believe it or not (I can not believe I am saying this) that gets old, and it just tires you out, lol. The longest cruise we did was 14 days, and again, I loved it, but DH was REALLY ready to go home. I am able to completely relax on a cruise though, I read a lot and am able to meet a bunch of new people and am perfectly content doing that. DH gets bored easier and is a lot shyer, so he needs to be more entertained.

So I guess what I am saying is look at your habits when you are on your 7 day cruises and think if you can do the same things at over double that in days. Can you entertain yourselves for five days at sea? Hope you have a great time if you go, if not try a ten day with a couple days pre-cruise somewhere and then if that goes well book the 16 or 18 day for next year. Just my 2 cents.

I think it will depend on your mindset. If you are prepared to stay on the ship that long, then you may be fine. I think that going from only doing 7 days to a 16 day is a huge jump. Again like someone else mentioned, a lot of the posters are veteran cruisers who can be on a cruise for the whole year and love it. We (DH and I) are usually gone for 12 days and there is a huge difference between us even. I could stay on for longer and he is itching to get off. He wants the normalcy of home. I think you need to watch what you eat so that it's not rich foods the entire time, because believe it or not (I can not believe I am saying this) that gets old, and it just tires you out, lol. The longest cruise we did was 14 days, and again, I loved it, but DH was REALLY ready to go home. I am able to completely relax on a cruise though, I read a lot and am able to meet a bunch of new people and am perfectly content doing that. DH gets bored easier and is a lot shyer, so he needs to be more entertained.

So I guess what I am saying is look at your habits when you are on your 7 day cruises and think if you can do the same things at over double that in days. Can you entertain yourselves for five days at sea? Hope you have a great time if you go, if not try a ten day with a couple days pre-cruise somewhere and then if that goes well book the 16 or 18 day for next year. Just my 2 cents.

We're going to take the LEAP! I am a reader as well and have already started loading my Kindle with more books! My DH said that he is really looking forward to the sea days as a way to relax after the several day going to the European ports and returning home! We can't wait! :D

Good for you! I think it will be a blast. The Kindle was the best invention ever!!!! It has saved me from airline weight allowances so much over the past several years. I used to bring five to six books each cruise, now I just upload the books to my Kindle and I am ready to go. Funny thing is, I save "special" books for the cruise, then I am really excited to read them when I am on board. Nothing like listening to the ocean, and reading on your Kindle. You guys have a wonderful time.

Good for you! I think it will be a blast. The Kindle was the best invention ever!!!! It has saved me from airline weight allowances so much over the past several years. I used to bring five to six books each cruise, now I just upload the books to my Kindle and I am ready to go. Funny thing is, I save "special" books for the cruise, then I am really excited to read them when I am on board. Nothing like listening to the ocean, and reading on your Kindle. You guys have a wonderful time.

I love my Kindle!! I was the same way...stacks of books! I got to the point that when I finished a book, I would just leave it where ever I was! That way I lightened my luggage and made room for the "stuff" I bought!

Thanks for your good wishes!!

Is ANY cruise ever too long?!!!!! :confused: The only instance where it would seem too long to me is if there was an emergency at home that happened while we were gone and we were anxious to get home.

We did our first transatlantic going the other way last April on the Grand and had a great time, the sea was smooth the whole way. That cruise we brought books, this cruise we each bought the new Pandigital reader their great and include wifi access so we can check for news from home without moving from the lounger...what a life. I can hardly wait to retire next year. See you on the Ruby.

Darn, after nearly 30 years of doing what I do, I only get four weeks.....:(:(:(

Bob

I wouldn't say that six weeks holiday is normal in the UK but, of course, some people (like my DH) do qualify for that much after long service (46 years with same company in case of DH). We do get bank holidays as well though. I would say that 4 weeks is more the norm in most jobs in the UK.

I am another one in favour of 14 days plus for a cruise. Looking at 29 days for our next cruise on Sea Princess either to or from Australia to SF in 2011 or 2012. Just back from 7 days Alaska cruise on Golden Princess and it was not long enough:D

We've taken the Ruby spring TA two years in a row. NO! It's not too many days. You've got a good mix of port days and sea days, and you'll be surprised how fast the time goes by.

We love Ruby. There is so much to do all over the ship, and so many places to do nothing if that's what you prefer.

Did that cruise twice, only one was a 17 day and one an 18 day. The 18 day added Livorno. Of course we were on the Emerald which was replaced by the Ruby. Same ship basically.

It is a fabulous cruise.

We are doing a 16 day Transatlantic from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale in next month.

The days seem to fly by on these longer cruises. We enjoyed the 5 days at sea immensely. :)

I canceled a 12 night Med cruise on the Magic next Sept so I could go on the longer 18 night cruise on the Ruby next Oct that several others who have posted will be on. Well that and the fact that the Ruby cruise was actually cheaper! :D

So I don't think 16 nights is too long and I'm pretty sure 18 will seem to go by too fast. Longest I have done is 12 nights and I'm almost worried about the 7 night cruise I have in Feb seeming like it will be way too short!

I get about 6 weeks off a year, 7 if I time it just right but I've never asked for 3 weeks off in a row. That should be interesting considering that I can't request it more than 3 months in advance. By then I'm committed so I'm going no matter what the boss says! :p

I work full time still, and the longest I've managed to tie together is 20 days (2 10d b2b). Later this year we're doing 29, and next year another 29. It's not long enough.

Fortunately I work where I can (with planning) get almost as much time off as I need (within reason). I'm already planning on the WC for either Jan 2013, or Jan 2014. I think it's going to be 2014, but that's as long as I'm willing to wait for it.

Thanks all, for the encouragement! We booked last Friday...and I am so excited. Like some of you, I can get as much time off from work as I want or need and actually right now, I am on medical leave due to surgery on my achilles tendon. My DH on the other hand, runs three companies, so taking two weeks off in a row, is not something he has done in many years..so this will be a real treat!!

We are so excited to be taking our first Princess cruise!

Archived