spa hard sell

grandmacruise

Yes because it is basically the same company. The spas on all the ships we have been on have been run be a company called Steiner, so the approach is basically identical regardless of what line you are on.

In the words of Nancy Reagan - Just say no. That is what I have learned to do, even with the most persistent spa staff. Just smile and say no, no thank you, sorry not today, i'm not interested, thanks but no, etc. Eventually they give up!

In the words of Nancy Reagan - Just say no. That is what I have learned to do, even with the most persistent spa staff. Just smile and say no, no thank you, sorry not today, i'm not interested, thanks but no, etc. Eventually they give up!

YES, you get the hard sell! I'm afraid I'm not so tenacious - I gave up before they did!

I really don't like the hard sell, and find it frustrating that they don't take no for an answer. I used to treat myself to a massage on every cruise, but I don't do that anymore - the hard sell kinda ruins it for me! Too bad - it was always so relaxing, but I left annoyed, so it didn't seem worth it.

Yes its a hard sell. If you know that going into it, a nice but firm no thank you is all you need. If you are not prepared for the sell that comes after the service, it can catch you at a weak moment.

On our last cruise when the hard sale started I was polite for about 30 seconds, then announced that I was planning on an nice tip but not going to buy any products. That pretty much stopped the hard sell with the implication that no tip was forthcoming if the hard sell continued.

Oh boy do they ever! It gets to the borderline of being an ugly encounter. The first cruise I spent nearly $800. Second cruise $120. Now, I just get a mani/pedi before I leave for the cruise and do not take advantage of any of their "specials".

My wife's standard procedure is to tell them before the treatment that for every mention they make of a product for sale their tip will be reduced by $5. It only takes a few slip-ups by them for their tip to completely disappear (which never happens, they remain surprisingly quiet about their products after that).

Thanks. I was hoping it was different on Princess. They are presistant but I don't give in. It really does ruin a wonderful treatment. If writing "NOT INTERESTED IN PRODUCTS" on the form works I'll give it a try ... or perhaps I'll skip the spa treatment and use the money for relaxing in the Sanctuary..:rolleyes:

I hate that hard sell in the spa. So much so that I don't even go to the spa anymore. Not worth the headache.

I think they would get a lot more business if they quit selling their products. I know I would go more often if they did that.

I've never had a hard sell on any cruise line. It makes me wonder if they know I'm not a pushover and don't attempt it or think I'm a cheapskate. :D

As long as you're firm and definitive about saying, "I'm not interested in buying any products, but thank you anyway." they seem to get the message pretty clearly.

I too get irritated with the hard sell, so I tell the masseuse that I don't need any of the products and the harder they try to sell me something the smaller their tip will be. Usually I don't hear another word.

I like this... Interesting, I never got the "hard sell" after a massage, but I did after I had my hair done on a whim. I still have the oil after two years. Its a great product but not for the price, it was more than the hair cut. Yes he got me in a weak moment.

Not this next cruise. :)

I read some where on CC that if you write on the form that you fill out prior to your massage "Not interested in Elemis Products" they will not try and do the hard sell.

I didn't realize that Elemis products are used on Princess!

When I asked several months ago which products (shampoo, bath gel, lotion) are in your cabin, I was told that they were some other cheap brand. Does anyone know? I don't want to schlep all this in my luggage if Elemis is available.

Or are these products just available in the spa?

How is the spa besides the hard sell? Do they have a day pass for the jacuzzi and steam rooms?

I've never had a problem with the hard sell because I always tell them upfront that I am only here for a massage/facial/whatever, and I am not interested in their products so please skip the sales pitch at the end. They always accomodate.

I like the suggestion to write this on the form.

I've had a facial and the stone massage on cruises. Perhaps it's because I'm a guy, but I've never had them repeatedly push products on me. A simple "no thank you" has stopped them without having to resort to threats about their tips.

I usually tell them I have another massage booked later in the cruise and will look into the products then

...except that if you DO have another one scheduled and it's with the same person, then you'll get the hard sell then. And if you DON'T have another one scheduled, then you're not being totally honest... It's a shame what we have to go through just to enjoy a relaxing massage :rolleyes: !

For those other than first time cruiserss, we all know the hard sell is there. A polite no thank you has worked for my DW in the past. She has howevver been weak at times and come back with several items that she stated she just had to have.....:):):)

Bob

Yes they do and it does somewhat detract from what was an otherwise relaxing experience. I simply tell them that I have a full regime using an extremely well known (and quite expensive) product which really suits my skin and I have no intention of changing.

Archived