Walking Around Style

Mysteryreader

Count me as another who would never wear running shoes/trainers/tennies/tennis shoes/sneakers with a pair of jeans --- not a home, not to work, not on weekends.

I prefer a really good pair of leather shoes. I have a pair of Cole Haan clogs that are about the most comfortable shoes in the world. They have Nike Air soles and I could and have walked in them for 12 hours at a time. They're too warm for summer, but then I wouldn't wear jeans for wandering around in summer.

To each his/her own ... but there are so many other comfortable choices out there that I always wonder why people choose big old white shoes (or Crocs!).

I agree with you 100%. :) Jeans and tennis shoes scream 1980s - good times, I was there...but not anymore! I love reef flip flops when they work climate wise, otherwise Clark's and Rockport shoes are good, comfortable, supportive options. While usually not too sexy, they still look good.

To each her own. You would never catch me in those 3 pair of sandals GordonChick showed - I think they are ugly. But, many would think they look just right. I'm a Jambu girl myself. Those Privos would be OK. As for wearing jeans in the summer - not for me. I haven't had on a pair of my jeans since I got back from Europe the middle of May. It's been various shorts with various shoes *tennies, Jambu sandals, Bogs rainboots, Merrell boots*. My job has me wearing shorts in the summer... Even this morning, it was 45F when I left for work and I had on my shorts and a sweatshirt (not yet fleece-y cold for me).

We'll all just have to agree to disagree yet again ;)

First three are all Privo by Clark's. Next pair (first sandals) are Merrells and the last two are Clark's.

I wonder if Privos run small. I usually wear shoes in size 5.5 to 6 so I got them in a 6 and they felt comfortable in the store, but the lip in the back rubs up against me and causes bad blistering. I even had them professionally stretched and had heel lifts put in, and still can't wear them for walking. I wear them to work on casual days because I have a desk job. They are really cute black leather cross strap mary janes. I finally found a pair of Sketchers that feel comfortable, but they are so flat that I get sharp arch pain on short walks. I found some little rubber arches at Target and put them under the insoles, so they are better now, but with the arches and socks they are a little snug. So I'm back to my running shoes again and they are really comfortable on long walks; I do not lace up the top holes and do not lace them tightly. They are very light. My podiatrist actually recommended running shoes (Brooks) for everyday use even though she sells orthopeodic shoes, because her patients have had success wearing them.

I cannot wear regular Clarks as they tend to be too narrow for me, but the Privos fit much better (wider). I have a couple pairs of Mary Janes (black, silver) that I wear quite a bit in the fall & spring here in NC, and when travelling (in temps where I don't want to or need to wear socks). I got the black pair on sale at Nordstrom a few years ago and the silver pair from Sierra Trading Post last year. Great prices! (however, the two pairs do fit me differently - the silver are not as wide as the black and they are a stiffer leather so they're stretching out more slowly than the black pair)

For my mom's foot problems & orthotics, she usually wears Merrells. Though the new Merrells (the more "fashion forward" styles) are built on a different last than the older styles and it is not as comfortable to me - the arch starts too far forward on my foot....

I'm not an archaeologist but I wear jeans and sneakers to work. So does my boss and so do my co-workers. I'm sure we're breaking a lot of "rules" but really, if it's ok with my employers then it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't wear jeans and sneakers to a fancy restaurant or to a wedding, but to walk around a cruise ship, or in a cruise port, I don't see what the big deal is. There are those on cruises who walk around deck in anything ranging from speedos to their bathrobes. It's preposterous to condemn someone for wearing sneakers and jeans!

The only reason I wouldn't wear them is if we were in the Caribbean and it was too hot to wear jeans and sneakers! :D

Oh...and I wear white after Labor Day too. Call me a rebel! :eek:

To each her own. You would never catch me in those 3 pair of sandals GordonChick showed - I think they are ugly. But, many would think they look just right. I'm a Jambu girl myself. Those Privos would be OK. As for wearing jeans in the summer - not for me. I haven't had on a pair of my jeans since I got back from Europe the middle of May. It's been various shorts with various shoes *tennies, Jambu sandals, Bogs rainboots, Merrell boots*. My job has me wearing shorts in the summer... Even this morning, it was 45F when I left for work and I had on my shorts and a sweatshirt (not yet fleece-y cold for me).

We'll all just have to agree to disagree yet again ;)

While I find many of the Jambu sandals cute, they wouldn't be considered "walking around" shoes for most people. Not that some can't but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for cobblestone streets or the like. I don't own any of the styles I posted (but I do own many in the brands), but people were asking for more fashionable alternatives to sneakers or tennies, and I found these to be currently available and easily found for quick posting. The point was that there are many options out there.

While I find many of the Jambu sandals cute, they wouldn't be considered "walking around" shoes for most people. Not that some can't but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for cobblestone streets or the like. I don't own any of the styles I posted (but I do own many in the brands), but people were asking for more fashionable alternatives to sneakers or tennies, and I found these to be currently available and easily found for quick posting. The point was that there are many options out there.

Like other brands, it all depends which shoes you pick for "walking around." The Jambu Mango is one - I wore them for 3 weeks in Europe this spring (minus the hiking days). Totally walkable for everything from Barcelona to Cinque Terre to Florence to Pisa to Tuscan Hill Towns to Paris. The Jambu flats are certainly walkable options. I wouldn't use one of their wedge designs to walk around. I walked around Venice in a pair of Dansko clogs and definitely paid the price!!!

I've tried on several Privo shoes - just like Clarks Originals, they just don't fit my feet :-(

The Jambu shoes are cute, but honestly to me they don't look all that different from the Merrells, Keens, Privos, etc that have been recommended -- can't see how one would be considered cute and the others ugly; but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :o

Jambu:

1057517-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpg

Keen:

1033706-p-DETAILED.jpg

Merrell:

1062911-p-DETAILED.jpg

etc......

The Privos I liked, it was the 3 pair of sandals that I didn't like in GG's post.

Yep, Jambus look like Merrels look like Keens look like Ahnu... The flats I like all the brands. But, there are once again the fit issues that bug all of us at one time or another.

I have a pair of Keen Saratogas in red. I'd really like to get a pair of the Keen Coronado Mary Janes in the violet flower print! (I can't get a picture to print here...)

Oh, and I have TWO pair of Keen trail runners (aka, tennies) in orange :-)

Yup, Keens don't fit my feet but Tevas do.

Another brand of shoes - both sporty and classic (for work) that I often get great deals on are Lands End- have a few pairs of ballet flats (leather and fabric) and some of the sporty mary janes (water resistant, nylon & velcro) At the end of the season, the prices are great, and I get free shipping email offers all the time. "End of season" for catalogs and stores - means I can still get a few months of use THAT YEAR, and since I tend to avoid really trendy things, I'll get years of wear from them. Lots of Lands End shoes come in Wide, too, which is really nice....

Thought I'd post this here since it definitely applies. The quote is from Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear) in Ladies' Home Journal:

Jeans and Keds may be classic, but your blue jeans should never ever be worn with a white cross-training sneaker, says Kelly. "It's the number-one fashion mistake I see women make across the U.S. It's the worst thing a woman can do because it means you're taking the easy way out. It shows you're making no effort at all when you get dressed."

Thought I'd post this here since it definitely applies. The quote is from Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear) in Ladies' Home Journal:

Jeans and Keds may be classic, but your blue jeans should never ever be worn with a white cross-training sneaker, says Kelly. "It's the number-one fashion mistake I see women make across the U.S. It's the worst thing a woman can do because it means you're taking the easy way out. It shows you're making no effort at all when you get dressed."

Guilty. I don't see why I need to "make an effort" to get dressed on a daily basis. There are more important things in my life than making sure I'm "fashion-compliant" everyday. I will say that I don't own a pair of white sneakers, though. Not a good color for trail runners ;)

oh give me a break ... these types of statements are ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion - and that's all this is - someone's opinion. Someone in the fashion business - who wants us to run out and buy new shoes or whatever every season ...

I love Clinton!!!! and I love the show! I watch it on weekends, when they do the marathons. I would love to get a credit card to spend on clothes then have someone tell me I look great!!! :p The advice is good though. It would be so nice to have a pro tell me what would look good on my body type. Not that I would always follow it. I'm really more of the "lazy dresser" that Clinton was talking about in his quote. However, I don't really like white tennies with jeans or capris. Maybe sweats or jersey capris for a walk. :rolleyes:

oh give me a break ... these types of statements are ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion - and that's all this is - someone's opinion. Someone in the fashion business - who wants us to run out and buy new shoes or whatever every season ...

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.....

Clinton needs to take a look at the latest J Jill catalog. On a couple of the pages, the models are, gasp, wearing WHITE TENNIES with khakis!!

I'm with the poster who said as long as a person is bathed, civil, I really don't care what they are wearing. I may snicker, but it's mostly in a "thank you" for making me smile kind of way;)

My biggest problem I am from NY orignally when I first went to Rome I was wearing high heels walking around(stumbling) they have cobblestones there. Womenm from there are used to walking around and don't walk all day. Now I wear either cole haan ballet flats with nike air or sketchers has cute looking casual shoes and then there are merrells and you can find them in semi cute styles too. This year I am going to buy Dolce and Gambanna gold sequin sneakers when I go to Florence. I know I am crazy don't ask:D

That is absolutely ludicrous. Please tell me you don't subscribe to such drivel? There are those who just are not able to wear "fashionable" shoes due to painful foot issues.

That is absolutely ludicrous. Please tell me you don't subscribe to such drivel? There are those who just are not able to wear "fashionable" shoes due to painful foot issues.

I have to ask Keds? They have zero support. They were cute in the 90's

There are so meny shoes out there. You can always look and feel great.

Running shoes are for working out and sadly some of us have to wear them for work. If I have to stop any where after work I keep a cute pair of flips and a nice shirt in the car to change in to.

This is a fashion board. We come here to discuss fashion. Why are you putting it down as "drivel" just because you don't happen to agree?

I believe in comfortable shoes. As the daughter of a woman who's so far had 3 foot surgeries, I'm well aware what can & cannot be worn by people who have issues. That said - there are still options out there beyond the white cross trainer. That you choose whatever footwear you want is your choice, yippee for you. At the same time, I am free to believe (and voice my opinion on this board) that jeans and a white cross-trainer is not a flattering look. And one I personally would never wear.

The point was that to suggest one doesn't care about one's appearance if unable to wear stylish shoes is extremely insensitive.

I guess you didn't the post right before yours - there are other options besides white athletic shoes. In fact, if you go to an orthotic shoe store you will see many of them. Cute little strappy heels??? No, but still better than white athletic shoes. Even the colored athletic shoes are a better choice.

The point was that to suggest one doesn't care about one's appearance if unable to wear stylish shoes is extremely insensitive.

White cross trainers are not fashionable! It's not a matter of sensitivity, or whether someone cares about their appearance... it's reality. If you need to wear unfashionable shoes because of a foot ailment or comfort or just preference, OWN IT!!! I wear them sometimes, if I'm going to do a lot of walking on uneven or slippery terrain. I don't for one second have my feelings hurt or feel offended if someone thinks they look bad. They do! It is what it is! What's the big deal?:rolleyes:

"White cross trainers are not fashionable! It's not a matter of sensitivity, or whether someone cares about their appearance... it's reality. If you need to wear unfashionable shoes because of a foot ailment or comfort or just preference, OWN IT!!! I wear them sometimes, if I'm going to do a lot of walking on uneven or slippery terrain. I don't for one second have my feelings hurt or feel offended if someone thinks they look bad. They do! It is what it is! What's the big deal?"

You go girl!! :cool:

"White cross trainers are not fashionable! It's not a matter of sensitivity, or whether someone cares about their appearance... it's reality. If you need to wear unfashionable shoes because of a foot ailment or comfort or just preference, OWN IT!!! I wear them sometimes, if I'm going to do a lot of walking on uneven or slippery terrain. I don't for one second have my feelings hurt or feel offended if someone thinks they look bad. They do! It is what it is! What's the big deal?"

You go girl!! :cool:

This may sound schizophrenic, but I still wouldn't wear the white cross trainers out sightseeing! I wouldn't wear the "big white ones" around my own town either. For that I have Reikers, Merrell, Privos, Naturalizers etc. All similar to the ones that Hoyaheel posted. They are comfortable, more stylish and safe on uneven pavement. When we went to Sedona and we hiked around one of the plateaus, I wore my white nikes, when I work with my horse I wear them, when I work in my yard I wear them. Basically, I won't wear them in public places, but I do understand why some people do. They just seem to big and clunky.

Archived