Walking Around Style

Mysteryreader

I just read an online piece about jeans. One particular no-no is wearing jeans with tennies. Give me a break! If I'm doing my 2 mi/day routine, what else would I be wearing except tennies? (Actually walkers.) And while on a walking tour off a cruise ship, I'm wearing tennies fashion police notwithstanding.

Anyone have a look that's good for walking around--not standing around looking glam--that won't cripple the tootsies?

BTW, I've got a lot of yrs on my feet but no bunions, hammertoes, etc. I wonder if the fashion police will hold up as well.

M/R

I wear more like what GordonChick posted. I only wear exercise shoes if I'm in the gym and/or otherwise wearing a sports bra. No sports bra, no sneakers:p I have certain brands I know are comfortable for my feet & knees to wear when walking miles around various places and plan accordingly. I typically don't travel with denim, too heavy, takes too long to dry if it gets wet (either from weather or I need to wash).

So no, I don't wear jeans & tennies, at home OR when travelling ;)

The type of work I do I wear jeans and sneakers in winter...and hope I don't have to stop on my way home to do errands. I have nerve damage in one foot, I do a lot of lifting in my job and need the stability of a sneaker complete with orthotics added.

It's certainly not my weekend look, nor is it anything I feel at all fashionable in. I'd wear the type of shoes gordonchick has shown if I could find a pair that fits my wide foot, can accomodate my orthotic, is comfortable and I can lift in. I'm required to wear shoes with a closed toe and back for safety, some of them would fit the bill.

I take my sneakers onboard cruise ships to walk laps, for excursions, even walking ones I prefer a nicer looking shoe. Perhaps Alaska would be OK.

The look is just so non-fashion, along with women wearing crew neck T-shirts. So to the OP, sorry, the article you read was dead on. It's one of those things that just because you see so many people wearing tennies with jeans doesn't make it any better.

I live in NYC and can spot a tourist miles away, and it has nothing to do with shoes. Just wear something that you know will allow you to really enjoy your vacation and get the most out of it. Be a tourist and soak it all in! The fact that you even ask this tells us all that you're a pulled-together gal, so don't worry about it.

Its funny how many articles on the internet and elsewhere you will find telling you what NOT to wear or what to wear. Here is my rule of thumb..but for me, not for everyone else. I wear my athletic shoes or hiking shoes with jeans if I am going on a walk around the neighborhood with my kids or to the park or on a trail. I wear comfortable Mary Janes or Skimmers with an athletic look, like the ones posted above, if going on a shopping trip or out for a casual dinner with friends. If I want to dress it up a bit for a party or a nicer dinner, I wear boots with my jeans or nice sandals in the summer along with a fancier top.

Jeans are so versatile I can't even imagine someone telling you what you can or cannot wear with them!! I would decide based on what you doing. If you are hiking in Alaska, athletic shoes or hiking shoes/boots. If you are going out to dinner in Rome, maybe nice sandals or boots. Most of all though, wear what is comfortable for you! If your feet are sensitive make sure you have good walking shoes and for some folks that is 'tennies' or athletic shoes.

Where are you cruising? If you are going anywhere warm, jeans and "tennies" (is that a Delaware word?) are going to be too hot.

LOL. Delaware is so small and insignificant that it's the Rodney Dangerfield of states. It don't get no respect. <g> EXCEPT it's the home state of the US VeeP, and it's the home state of "subs." (In Philadelphia, they call them 'hoagies.") That is, the fantastic sandwiches that Subway and other companies are trying to imitate but don't come close. If you should know Capriotti's--that's a DE sub shop that's going west. Our kids who live out-of-state have sub cravings. When the come home, a trip to a sub shop is at the top of their list. A couple of yrs ago in AZ our sil told our dd that he'd found this fantastic deli w/ the best sandwiches. Further discussion: "Oh, that's Capriotti's. We get subs there all the time."

'Tennies' is the word I've known for decades that refers to tennis shoes and all its derivations. You can say 'running shoes,' or 'fitness shoes' or 'cross training' or 'walking shoes' or whatever. 'Tennies' is the generic term, and I can't imagine that its usage is confined to DE.

M/R

Doesn't matter what they're called ... they're all fine with jeans! most shoes are!

and what's wrong with a woman wearing crew-neck tees? I don't wear them myself but sheesh ... the fashion police get a little carried away sometimes!

Count me as another who would never wear running shoes/trainers/tennies/tennis shoes/sneakers with a pair of jeans --- not a home, not to work, not on weekends.

I prefer a really good pair of leather shoes. I have a pair of Cole Haan clogs that are about the most comfortable shoes in the world. They have Nike Air soles and I could and have walked in them for 12 hours at a time. They're too warm for summer, but then I wouldn't wear jeans for wandering around in summer.

To each his/her own ... but there are so many other comfortable choices out there that I always wonder why people choose big old white shoes (or Crocs!).

I am another one who would never wear what you call "tennies" except when I am working out! Never with jeans only with work out clothes. With jeans I wear slides or maybe a stappy sandal in the summer and usually boots in the winter. For my area it is an age thing- we see older women ( and I am not young! ) with their mom jeans and bright white running shoes all the time. My MIL wears them and I have yet to convince her to at least try a pair of black mary janes like the ones posted above. IMO, it is not fashionable at all to wear them with jeans- there are lots of cute shoes that are comfortable. Same with a crew neck t-shirt. Only for working out.

If you were wearing "strappy sandals" or Gordon Chick's choices of footwear with jeans in my town, you'd stick out for sure as a "tourist." Jeans and "tennies" and boots and Tevas/Keens/Berkies are the norm.

I did see a woman once in strappy stilettos and a very nice dress in town. But, seeing how it was January and there was over a foot of snow on the ground, kind of inappropriate. :p

It all depends on where you are and what you wear...

Some people wear running shoes because they have room for both orthotics and socks and because they are the only comfortable and supportive shoes for long walks. These people are all different ages. On bad feet days I have to wear them to work with nice clothes. I can wear some Mary Jane styles for short walks, with socks to avoid blisters, but many of them will not accomodate socks, and most are too flat or have no arch support. So please don't judge.

Some people wear running shoes because they have room for both orthotics and socks and because they are the only comfortable and supportive shoes for long walks. These people are all different ages. On bad feet days I have to wear them to work with nice clothes. I can wear some Mary Jane styles for short walks, with socks to avoid blisters, but many of them will not accomodate socks, and most are too flat or have no arch support. So please don't judge.

There are lots of shoes besides running shoes that are both comfortable and have room for socks and orthotics. I had plantar faciitis a few years ago and bought quite a few pairs of leather, loafer type shoes that I wore with both jeans and my dress pants to work! Not exactly fashion forward with my dress pants but way better than white running shoes. I am not judging, just expressing what I wear (or won't wear).

Guess I don't have to worry about it. I can't stand wearing jeans and don't wear them. LOL I have one pair stuck in my closet "just in case". For what? I don't know. But, on the other hand, I also only have 1 pair of "tennies" - walking shoes, as I walk at least 4 miles a day. That is the only time I wear those too. I never take a pair on a cruise with me.

But locally around here, you see jeans and "tennies" all the time. To have 10 pairs, is nothing out of the norm.

I'm not a jeans and tennies kind of gal. I don't think I've owned a pair of "tennies" since college -- other than the ones I wear to the gym, which never get worn anywhere else. Why? To me they really aren't that comfortable! Especially not for a whole day of walking around.

I prefer the kinds of shoes Gordonchick posted pictures of. My very favorite higher-end shoes for a day of sightseeing are Riekers. A less expensive option are Skechers, although they don't last as long.

jeans & tennies, not so much... for "walking around" as the op put it, I prefer the type of shoes that Gordon Chick posted along with maybe a pair of yoga type pants & a cute tee shirt, to me jeans are more dressy, with a heel or cute boots in winter; I really don't wear them much, I like super light weight, cooler clothing...

I'm an unashamed jeans and tennies girl....

In summer I'm shorts and flipflops..... in winter, jeans and tennies, or jeans and boots.

I know they're not fashionable... but I'm old enough to not care!!!!!:)

Bless you! Cannot believe we are having the discussion about white athletic shoes again. Let's all just worry about our own foot comfort and forget the fashion police. If standing around looking glam is their thing, so be it. To quote a favorite saying from Laugh-in: "Very interesting -- but stupid! :D:D:D

Archived