Why is S-Class so pricey?

JEDIKNIGHT

Yes, they are newer glitzy ships.

But is it really worth the price differential?

I was comparing 12 night Mercury cruises, with 12 night SILHOUETTE cruises, the latter out of Jersey. Sky Suite category and above.

The per-day cost is almost DOUBLE on Silhouette.

Is it really worth that much more?

Yes, they are newer glitzy ships.

But is it really worth the price differential?

I was comparing 12 night Mercury cruises, with 12 night SILHOUETTE cruises, the latter out of Jersey. Sky Suite category and above.

The per-day cost is almost DOUBLE on Silhouette.

Is it really worth that much more?

What date? Perhaps it is related to how many people have already booked.

RCI has been sailing The Explorer out of Cape Liberty for years and has always gotten premium prices and a sold out ship for most of that time. The ship never appears on the Tuesday specials.

So now we have a new addition to the Cape Liberty scene, the gorgeous and sophisticated Silhouette. You don't think that if the 10 year old EX can get high per diems out of NJ that the brand new super-zoomy Silhouette can't get them also???

BTW we paid less then a $1,000 pp for a Verandah on the Solstice in June, 7 night cruise out of FLL. Try anything like that going out of Cape Liberty on any ship there.

In addition to the Silhouette being newer, I think there's more of demand for ships out of the Northeastern ports, like Bayonne and NYC. It's easier to access for more people. I remember reading how happy folks on here were to get a ship out of the Northeast in the winter, so I'm sure others feel the same. At this point, Celebrity can ask for whatever price they want and probably get it.

I couldn't agree more with JEDIKNIGHT about the cost being quite a bit higher for S Class.

We sail X all the time but have never been on an S class until we booked this October for the Equinox Trans. We are going to feel like a newbie and we have been on over 10 B2B and Trans. with X.

Hey its been worth the wait, got to see all of X's fleet up to now for pretty good pricing. But now I believe, demand and economy is making the S class a LITTLE more reasonably priced.

Lets all hope the economy gets better but enjoy the better pricing. Until then, maybe we will all get a better deal on the S Class:)

Heard so much good stuff

We have been on all 3 classes of ships and admit the S class is the best and worth the extra costs. The rooms are pristine and well insulated from noise and there are no inner connecting doors between the rooms.

The buffet on the S class ships is so well set up with no lines. That alone is worth the extra cost.

We are looking forward to some Eclipse Cruises this winter when the ship is in FL.

Spence

As eveyone has stated, where you cruise from has a lot to do with the pricing. The market in FL is pretty saturated with so many ports/ships to cruise from/on, it's a trade off. Either fly and pay for airline tickets, or cruise near home in a port that offers limited cruise lines/itineraries. Also, sometimes waiting to book pays off. We were thrilled to see Eclipse prices for Jan drop in AQ and that is a new S-class ship.

Happy cruising....Joanne

We're doing the 2/6 sailing on Solstice out of Fortlauderdale in AQ class and the price is amazing, but it is only 7 days. We are also doing Silhouette November 2011, repositioning from Rome and the price is ridiculously low, although the repositioning cruises (this is our first) usually are.

Comparing the ship with the fewest amenities in the fleet and leaving the fleet in February with the newest ship with the most amenities is not a fair comparison. If you look at Royal Caribbean or Carnival or Princess, you will find higher prices on the newer ships with more amenities.

We are on the EQ in November for $100/pp/pd for a concierge category cabin. Great price. That's less than I paid for SL the first year she came out.

Give Silhouette a couple years and the pricing will come down.

I guess it's supply and demand but I just looked at january sailing from Ft. lauderdale and I am SHOCKED!! :eek:

It's less expensive to book a balcony on a CARNIVAL ship (Liberty) than on the Eclipse!

And your point is? There is no way to compare a Carnival cruise to one on Celebrity,of course Carnival should be lower in price.:confused:

Archived