Does Blue have formal nights?

mljatsea

This is directly from Celebrity's website. It looks like the policy is still "formal" for all dining venues, except the buffet areas on formal nights. It does not say anything about dressing smart casual for specialty venues or Blu. This was found under Proper Dining Attire. When you look under "specialty restaurants" there's a link to "proper dining attire" which spells out formal nights and smart casual.

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

This is directly from Celebrity's website. It looks like the policy is still "formal" for all dining venues, except the buffet areas on formal nights. It does not say anything about dressing smart casual for specialty venues or Blu. This was found under Proper Dining Attire. When you look under "specialty restaurants" there's a link to "proper dining attire" which spells out formal nights and smart casual.

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

And this is directly from Celebrity's web site. This is the one they are now enforcing on the ships.

What is the required dress for Specialty Restaurants?

Subject: Specialty Dining

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is smart casual and above for every night of your cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00000FKJl0DqgUOIgalc7G-e80V:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

Unfortunately, Celebrity has conflicting information on their web site, one section says it is formal for all restaurants another says it is smart casual...

I hate to disagree with my friends on this thread however the dress code for BLU based upon my cruise last week is definitely smart casual every night. I saw many men in suits, very few in tuxes, some in sport jackets and many also in just shirts. Nothing was said by the maitre'ds and the dailies provided no guidence either way....Celebrity eliminated the formal for the whole ship concept about three years ago when they changed the dress codes from three to two...

Here is the conflicting info from the web site...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000zKbUiw2Zt5r2oDoLifDrVkx:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&pagename=faq_answers

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00000FKJl0DqgUOIgalc7G-e80V:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

Don,

Since Blu is not a Specialty Restaurant, but main dining for Aqua Class, it would be the same as the MDR.

And this is directly from Celebrity's web site. This is the one they are now enforcing on the ships.

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is smart casual and above for every night of your cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant

I with you on this one Don. I wore a tux while in Blu both formal nights last January, but I think I was a "lone wolf" in that regard (but, I really did not pay much attention).

Since there appears to be a conflict in Celebrity's web pages (what a shock:rolleyes:), I guess the question becomes is Blu considered a "Specialty" restaurant or the same as the MDR except for AQ passengers only? Since the link you provided was to a FAQ Section for Specialty Restaurants, that may be the resaon for the confusing rules; Blu is not consider a Specialty Restaurant making it subject to the same dress code as the MDR. How people actually dress is an entirely different matter.

I am really looking forward to the end of "formal" nights, which I do not think is many years away IMO.

This debate is SO tedious. Wear whatever makes YOU feel comfortable within the bounds of good taste. It is YOUR vacation, if you like to wear a tux do so, if you like smart casual do so. Why do people that like to get dressed up (I do, BTW) get so offended by those that don't ? Rhetorical, no response required.

Don,

Since Blu is not a Specialty Restaurant, but main dining for Aqua Class, it would be the same as the MDR.

Celebrity considers it a specialty restaurant...Not my words, but theirs..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/specialtyDining/Blu.do;jsessionid=0000m1CJV4qNAfZVf4qyQD3KdAV:12h3rnd1c?pagename=sl_blu_detail

Ma Bell, thank you for posting the correct information. I eschew the the incorrect information posted by others.

Since I have provided the information directly from Celebrity's web site, I really resent that comment especially since her info as much as I hate to say it was incorrect. I have not made any personal comments as to what I or anyone should wear, only the CORRECT info from Celebrity's web site....Celebrity in their own words considers BLU a specialty restaurant, it is right there in black and white...On formal nights, my wife and I dressed according to the formal dress code regulations...Don't shoot the messenger...

Since I have provided the information directly from Celebrity's web site, I really resent that comment especially since her info as much as I hate to say it was incorrect. I have not made any personal comments as to what I or anyone should wear, only the CORRECT info from Celebrity's web site....Celebrity in their own words considers BLU a specialty restaurant, it is right there in black and white...On formal nights, my wife and I dressed according to the formal dress code regulations...Don't shoot the messenger...

Some here are just very confused by facts. If I were you, I wouldn't take it personally. Considering sources will go a long way towards accomplishing that goal.

The fact that their is opposing information on Celebrity's Web Site combined with what Celebrity accepts in practice will never sway some posters. Logic is sometimes not accepted as a "reason".

Some here are just very confused by facts. If I were you, I wouldn't take it personally. Considering sources will go a long way towards accomplishing that goal.

The fact that their is opposing information on Celebrity's Web Site combined with what Celebrity accepts in practice will never sway some posters. Logic is sometimes not accepted as a "reason".

Thanks, you are so right, funny thing is I generally would like to see people more dressed up and agree with them but I'm only trying to answer questions...

This debate is SO tedious. Wear whatever makes YOU feel comfortable within the bounds of good taste. It is YOUR vacation, if you like to wear a tux do so, if you like smart casual do so. Why do people that like to get dressed up (I do, BTW) get so offended by those that don't ? Rhetorical, no response required.

It is not so much a debate for me, I have read countless comments where people feel very strongly regarding dress and agree that it should be a matter of choice, one way or the other, however I would like to know what the dress "requirement" is for Blu. I personally do not want to dress formally and would prefer NOT to be relegated to the Oceanview Cafe or room service for the two formal nights because I did not bring formal attire. Surely there must be a way to get a definitive answer on this. Would calling the cruise line be the way to go?

Gosh, didn't know I'd opened such a can of worms. Only wanted to see my DH in his tux though I just wear pants and a jeweled top. I guess the consensus is whatever you want will be OK. We would be glad to see formal nights disappear as long as everyone dresses tastefully.

Blu For Breakfast - A true free for all. Swim Trunks, T-Shirt,Sneakers ect.

Blue for Dinner

Casual / Night 1 - Polo Shirt #1, Tucked in , Khaki Pants, Brown Dress Shoes

Formal / Night 2 - Navy Suit , Blue Shirt , Blue Tie , Brown Dress Shoes

*****a bunch of guys went suit with no tie on this night, not many Tuxedos in Blu- This restaurant has mostly tables of 2,4 and a fewwww 6* not many at all of 6. The Tuxedo is nice if its 5 couples and the whole crew wants to get dressed up but as a 32 year old man with a 27 year old wife alone , I felt a little funny wearing a Tuxedo ....don't ya think ??

Casual / Night 3 - Linen Short Sleeve Button Down #1 , Dark Blue Slim Fit

Jeans Black Blazer , Black Dress Shoes

***The Jeans were brand new, dark and respectful, I dressed it up with a sport jacket and the Matre'D told me I was good to go*** He said Id rather see clean dark jeans then the Khakis some guys have been wearing to work for 10 years.

Casual / Night 4- Linen Short Sleeve Button Down #2, Suit Slacks from night

#2 Brown Dress Shoes

Casual / Night 5- Polo Shirt #2, Khaki Pants, Black Shoes

Formal / Night 6- Navy Suit, Stripe Shirt, Solid Dark Red Tie. Brown Shoes

Casual/ Night 7- Polo Shirt #3 , Khaki Pants, Leather Close Toe Sandals****

****Close Toe Sandals for men are great to roll around with on the ship in the afternoons or port days but the reason why I wore them with long pants on Night 7 was these were the shoes I was planning to wear the following morning. I packed my bags and had all my things ready to go that afternoon. Bags must be at your door by 11pm but with an 8pm dinner and a 9pm show who the heck wants to pack when they are tired.****

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Mike

My partner and I were in the Eclipse in Aqua class this Summer. The dress code for Blue was formal on formal nights. Going by what we had read a while back on the Celbrity website, we showed up with dress slacks and long sleeve shirts and we were not alone but certainly in the minority. We were told by the staff it was a formal night and that they "preferred" we had jackets. Had we known we would have avoided Blue on a formal night. We are not into the dress up thing but do like to respect the cruise policy. They did not turn us away but did end up sitting us in the back. Qsine, however, was fine with smart casual on formal nights.

Most people in Blu were dressed formally for formal nights on our Solstice cruise despite what the Celebrity website may say. Some weren't, they weren't turned away. Wear what you want, within reason, realizing that if you don't dress formally, to some you will be underdressed but for most of us WE JUST WON'T CARE!!(unless you show up in torn jeans, wife beater's T-Shirt, flip flops and a baseball cap....:eek:)

Have fun!!:D

What about this that is directly from Celebrity's website:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

A culinary delight your senses won't soon forget - this is Blu.

As the specialty restaurant serving our AquaClass guests, Blu's menu features fresh, flavorful dishes with healthful, indulgent fare. A selection of International and California wines accentuate your meal, all to be enjoyed in an intimately relaxing atmosphere.

It's funny how dress code always sparks debates on the boards. Apparently this is still the dress code according to Celebrity's website. We love dressing up for formal nights, whether it's in the MDR or the specialty restaurant, but we've all seen plenty of people who do not really "dress up" and are more casual. I certainly would not criticize anyone for what there were wearing as it is not my place. I'm only passing along information that is on Celebrity's website since that's what the question was.

After our Radiance cruise next month, our next three cruises are in AQ on the Equinox. We always dress black tie on the formal nights, except that for our Radiance cruise we will eschew formal and informal nights and, on those nights, we will dine in the WJ. I am aware of the fact that we would not be denied entry when only dressed smart casual on the formal and informal nights, but we have too much pride and respect for our fellow passengers to pursue that route.

Possibly the matters of dress and tipping might be readily resolved if Celebrity adopted something akin (not any kin but akin) to the Azamara procedure. Therefore, my suggestions are as follows:

1. Tipping would be included in the fare; and, it would be per person irrespective as to age, gender, race, sexual orientation, political persuasion or prior condition of mortgage balance, or any or all of the foregoing; and,

2. The dress code for all evening dining venues, where one is being served or unserved as the case may be, would be smart casual and formal (including black tie) optional on two or three nights. "Unserved" would not include buffet or the casual dining venue.

I believe that this procedure would satisfy the traditional cruisers and those whom are more disposed to an entitlement scenario. Additionally, it will remove the endeavors of the stiffers; and, it will decrease the threads on this forum.

What about this that is directly from Celebrity's website:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

A culinary delight your senses won't soon forget - this is Blu.

As the specialty restaurant serving our AquaClass guests, Blu's menu features fresh, flavorful dishes with healthful, indulgent fare. A selection of International and California wines accentuate your meal, all to be enjoyed in an intimately relaxing atmosphere.

It's funny how dress code always sparks debates on the boards. Apparently this is still the dress code according to Celebrity's website. We love dressing up for formal nights, whether it's in the MDR or the specialty restaurant, but we've all seen plenty of people who do not really "dress up" and are more casual. I certainly would not criticize anyone for what there were wearing as it is not my place. I'm only passing along information that is on Celebrity's website since that's what the question was.

I've posted this a couple of times in this thread but here goes again. The problem is Celebrity's web site which has very obvious contradictions..

Here is the opposing comments also from their web site...

The dress code in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is smart casual and above for every night of your cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

After our Radiance cruise next month, our next three cruises are in AQ on the Equinox. We always dress black tie on the formal nights, except that for our Radiance cruise we will eschew formal and informal nights and, on those nights, we will dine in the WJ. I am aware of the fact that we would not be denied entry when only dressed smart casual on the formal and informal nights, but we have too much pride and respect for our fellow passengers to pursue that route.

Possibly the matters of dress and tipping might be readily resolved if Celebrity adopted something akin (not any kin but akin) to the Azamara procedure. Therefore, my suggestions are as follows:

1. Tipping would be included in the fare; and, it would be per person irrespective as to age, gender, race, sexual orientation, political persuasion or prior condition of mortgage balance, or any or all of the foregoing; and,

2. The dress code for all evening dining venues, where one is being served or unserved as the case may be, would be smart casual and formal (including black tie) optional on two or three nights. "Unserved" would not include buffet or the casual dining venue.

I believe that this procedure would satisfy the traditional cruisers and those whom are more disposed to an entitlement scenario. Additionally, it will remove the endeavors of the stiffers; and, it will decrease the threads on this forum.

As far as the dress code goes, Celebrity needs to remove the contradictory statements in their web site, issue a dress code for their ships and then enforce it ......

OK, so how do we find out the definitive answer here? Surely with all the posts and reviews of Blu someone must know for sure. I am hoping to be able to dine in Blu during the formal nights and dress smart casual. Anyone have first hand, recent experience as to if this is allowed? Anyone know what the breakfast dress code is? Are shorts allowed or is it more dressy for breakfast? Also, what type of breakfast items do they serve- can you get get eggs cooked to order, omelets, pancakes, etc., or is it more continental, light fare?

I am basing my response on Eclipse Blu last week

Dressy each night - much smarter than the MDR. As a previous poster said on formal nights it was a mix of tuxedo, dark loung suits and kilts

Breakfast dress codes shorts very much in evidence

Breakfast is whatever you want cooked fresh to order - eggs any way, omlettes, waffles, pancakes. If you want to order just light continental you can

Beautiful freshly squeezed juices and smoothies oooh just remembering it makes my mouth water!!

• 3 months later...
Another thing to keep in mind, we peeked our heads into blu on a regular night before we went to dinner...seemed like the people were dressed a notch above what we saw in the MDR... seemed like a very, very nice venue & experience.

You are correct; and, additionally, the cuisine is outstanding. I am looking forward to lobster for Christmas dinner.

Archived