Is one of the most popular new Elite perks being Chopped!

Xcruiser

I noticed the same thing the last time we experienced the elite lounge. It's all well and good for RCI passengers, but I don't think it's fair to the X-loyal cruisers. I might get flamed for this, but I think a lot of RCI cruisers do cruise just for the perks. I remember the huge outcry when they took away the Diamond lounges, and how many said they would jump ship for the Celebrity perks. While not all have done that, it's clear a lot of them have. At least on Celebrity, you always knew people were cruising for the X experience, because for so many years the perks were nothing. Elite status on X and $2 could buy you a cup of coffee - that's about it.

I also don't believe that the benefits should be reciprocal on X and RCI. Yes, it's a nice idea in theory, but will only lead to the crowding of the lounges and possible dilution of benefits. (I say "possible" because I don't really see the subtraction of two nights in the lounge as trouble - yet.) Unfortunately, the crowding of the lounges seems like it's getting to be a real problem. There's a reason Carnival corp doesn't offer reciprocal status among its brands - look into it, Celebrity.

I just hope X finds a way to fix this before it gets out of hand. Maybe they could recognize other brands' guests as past passengers. Invite them to the Captain's Club celebration, allow them some of the classic level perks. This shows appreciation without going overboard, IMHO.

Excellent ideas! We have always cruised Celebrity for the experience. We have also cruised Holland America for the experience. Until this year we have cruised both lines equally. We have 51 cruise credits on Celebrity and we were 40 days away from being Fourth Tier on Holland America (big deal). This year we will be on Celebrity for all of our six cruises because everything else being equal, Celebrity's program is far superior to HALs

The only time crowding became an issue last year on the Mercury cruise I was on was when the held the afternoon cocktail event in Michael's lounge. All other times the Pavilion night club was used and it was never crowded in there. As long as they use a venue large enough to acomodate those entitled do not see this as a problem in the near term. If they ever change the requirements to days cruised from cruises sailed but that is another story.

See you in the Pavilion night club in a few weeks.

As an aside, the morning breakfast was generally poorly attended and I encourage all who are allowed to make an effort to stop by at least a few times during your cruise or this may be on the to do away with list.

I agree. Like I stated before, the worse thing they did was make the programs reciprocal.

If they ended the reciprocity I would give a one time pass per cruise to diamond or diamond plus members to enjoy the Celebrity experience. I would do the same for Elites when they cruise RCL. Believe that this could be a good marketing tool. Can't tell you how many times I've met an RCL cruiser during the Elite Hour who told me how much they are enjoying the Celebrity experience and looking forward to booking again. I agree that on some cruises there are just too many people crowding the elite venue and that impacts the total experience. I should add that I also cruise Celebrity for the total experience, not the perks.

I also cruise Celebrity for the total experience, not the perks.

We actually almost booked a Princess cruise and then Celebrity announced they were upgrading the Elite Perks so we did not book Princess and stayed with Celebrity. The perks now do influence us booking Celebrity over another line. Free internet, free dry cleaning, free laundry, the new Captain's Club Celebration Event and the Elite Happy Hour all are benefits we really enjoy and add greatly to our cruise experience.

I like your idea about giving a "one time pass" to try the other program. Maybe you should be working for Celebrity.

IMO someone on the Mercury needs to improve their English skills. The example clearly shows a difference between "Smart Casual" and "Smart Casual and above". It does say "and" and not modified. Taking out the words "and above" should not logically impact the definition. I would hope and suspect that this will not be regular definition going forward. It will cause as much confusion as the previous term of "informal" which meant one thing in technical terms and often something else in the definition provided once on board.

I agree. Like I stated before, the worse thing they did was make the programs reciprocal.

Ii agree; and, with all deference to the Roya folks (of which we are also a part thereof) my observations are that the true Celebrity elites are a notch above those who acquired that status vis-a-vis their Royal status.

I wonder if the people on the RCI threads are whining about all those X cruisers taking advantage of their diamond/diamond + perks?

I wonder how many Celebrity cruisers jumped ship to Royal Caribbean to take advantage of the Diamond perks???? What are the Diamond perks??

Ii agree; and, with all deference to the Roya folks (of which we are also a part thereof) my observations are that the true Celebrity elites are a notch above those who acquired that status vis-a-vis their Royal status.

What do you really mean 'a notch above?' OMG - you sound really ......... LOL

Compare the benefits of X : Princess.

Celebrity - Elite Member Benefits* (After 10 earned tier credits)**

• Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises

• Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise

• A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise

• Complimentary upgrade from ChoiceAir to ChoiceAir Plus when booking travel for your cruise

• Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise

• Annual member reunion cruises which include member events and discounts

• One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)

• Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with latest program news and information

• Priority embarkation while boarding the ship

• Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event

• Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist

• Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party

• Access to private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation

• Priority tender service status

• Priority waitlist status for dining room seating

• Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event

• Complimentary use of Thalassotherapy Pool. (Celebrity Mercury only - when the ship is in port)

• Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Tier

• NEW Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration event

• NEW Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items

• NEW One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing‡

• NEW One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at a discounted price of $20 on all Celebrity cruises of 12 nights or longer

• NEW Complimentary dry cleaning of 1 garment item

• NEW 90 complimentary Internet minutes (no purchase necessary - can be redeem as is or applied towards a larger internet package)

• NEW Access to the Captain's Club Lounge at Michael's Club for daily coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (excludes embarkation and disembarkation dates)

• NEW Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one (1) port day of your choice)

*Onboard benefits are exclusive to Celebrity sailings (excluding Celebrity Xpedition®)

**Tier credits are earned by sailing with Celebrity or Azamara Cruises. Additional credits can be earned by sailing for 12 nights or longer and/or sailing in a Concierge Class Stateroom, AquaClassSM Stateroom or Suite.

‡Includes 20 items on itineraries with water usage restrictions or up to 30 items on itineraries without water usage restrictions. Water usage restrictions apply on most Alaskan and Baltic itineraries.

Princess - Elite Membership >>

Launch Savings/Reduced Deposit^ - Princess Captain’s Circle Members who book early can enjoy an additional savings of up to $100 per person off their cruise fare (for the first 2 passengers in the cabin, depending on itinerary and date). This discount can be combined with Escape Fares (formerly known as Early Booking Discounts), group rates, regional promotions and other past passenger discounts. Not combinable with New Booking only promotions. Some restrictions apply.

Beginning with the summer 2011 season, Circle Members who book early will be eligible for a reduced deposit of 50% of the standard deposit, for all cruises, excluding World Cruise voyages.

Preferential Pricing Offers - Throughout the year, we specially select itineraries we know you love and will keep you informed of special offers and deals. You can tell us whether you would prefer to hear about these by mail, phone or email in your Member Profile .

Members only onboard Events - As a Member, you will be invited to exclusive events during your cruise with us. These are a great way to meet fellow Members!!

Princess Passport - Our special Princess Passports are another Member exclusive, giving you a unique way to record your memories of treasured adventures.

Collectible Destination Stamps - Every time you sail with us, we will give you a stamp depicting the destination you have traveled. The stamps are signed by the Captain and can be displayed in your Princess Passport.

Access to a Circle Host Onboard - We are committed to making your vacation experience with us a special one,- that is why, onboard every vessel, there is a Circle Host, - a representative of the Princess Captain’s Circle, ready to make sure that you receive all the benefits to which you are entitled.

Member Benefits Card - You have been issued a membership card which indicates your Member status. This card should be kept handy at all times and your Member number quoted when making a reservation. Providing this number guarantees that you will receive all the benefits to which you are entitled.

Princess Captain’s Circle Quarterly Magazine - Every three months, you will receive our Magazine, published exclusively for members of the Princess Captain’s Circle. As well as advance notification of promotions and new itineraries, you will be the first to hear about our new ships. We are also pleased to share behind the scenes information with you and feature your favorite Princess crew members,- taking a peak at what they like to do when they are back at home!

Princess Captain’s Circle eNewsletter - Princess Captain’s Circle Members who have registered their email address with us will receive a monthly publication sent via email featuring loyalty information, onboard news, and special offers.

Gold Member Recognition Pin - When you return for your second Princess cruise you will receive your Gold Member pin which you can wear proudly to show that you are a Member of the Princess Captain’s Circle.

Princess Captain’s Circle Center Online - Once you register for the Circle Center, you will have access to extra benefits, including our Stand By Program^. We will also feature regularly updated articles on the latest developments at Princess,-like new ships, itineraries and shows. Your Member Profile is also accessible through the Center and can be kept up to date to ensure that we are able to anticipate your every need. Tell us what you like, what you don’t like, and how you would like us to keep in touch with you!

Princess Free Cruise Photo Competition - Share your favorite photo from your recent Princess cruise or cruisetour, accompanied by a story of 50 words or less describing your Princess experience and you could win a free Princess cruise! Click here to review the official contest rules.

* Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply.

** Reduced deposit not applicable to World Cruise voyages.

^ Available to U.S. and Canadian resident Members only.

Elite - Includes all Gold Member benefits plus:

Complimentary Cruise Atlas^^ Every year you will automatically receive a copy of our Princess Cruise Atlas. With details on all itineraries and sailings for the year, you will be able to plan ahead easily!

Princess Platinum Vacation Protection Upgrade^^ As a Platinum Member, when you purchase Princess Vacation Protection at the standard rate, Princess will purchase an upgrade to Princess Platinum Vacation Protection automatically on your behalf. Click here to learn more about the Vacation Protection program.

Preferred Check-In When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. If you are a Platinum Member, you and your family or guests will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

Platinum Members Lounge In recognition of your loyalty, and to make your last morning with us more enjoyable, we invite Platinum Members to use the Platinum Disembarkation Lounge, offering light refreshments and peace while you await disembarkation.

Complimentary Internet Packages Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Cafés or on a personal laptop! Our current Internet packages onboard have now been expanded fleetwide to include wireless Internet!

VOYAGE DURATION MINUTES VALUE

7 days or less 150 $75

8-20 days 250 $100

21+ days 500 $200

You can use your credit towards a larger package if necessary, or enjoy all those minutes - compliments of the Princess Captain's Circle!

Exclusive Phone Line Enjoy an exclusive shoreside phone number for contact to the Circle Desk. Your call will be routed quickly through to the Membership desk to discuss your cruise history, membership status, benefits delivery or any other Circle-related questions you may have.

*Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or cruise days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply.

^^Available to U.S. and Canadian resident Members only.

^^For UK and AU/NZ Members, your Cruise Atlas is mailed out upon request. UK Members please call 0845 355 0065, AU Members please call 1300 300 528, NZ Members please call 0800 444 786.

PREFERRED SERVICES PACKAGE

Priority Ship to Shore Tender Embarkation As a well-traveled guest with Princess, you have the opportunity to travel ashore quickly and without waiting in line in our tender ports. Simply present your Elite cruise card directly at the tender embarkation area. You will then join any remaining passengers and board the tender as soon as it is clear to embark, and will not need to wait with other passengers in the lounge area.

Priority Disembarkation You'll be contacted towards the end of your cruise by the Circle Host to determine approximately what time would be most convenient for your disembarkation. If you'd like to linger onboard longer, we'll be more than happy to give you a later disembarkation group. If you'd like to be one of the first groups to disembark, we'll gladly accommodate - the choice is yours!

Shoe Polishing Service Your shoes will be polished upon request - this service is complimentary.

Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services*** Upon request, your stateroom steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Captain’s Circle!

ELITE STATEROOM AMENITIES PACKAGE

Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up** Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up according to your personal preferences. If no preferences have been indicated in your Member Profile, the standard selection will be given. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed.

Deluxe Canapes Selection You may receive, upon request, a complimentary selection of deluxe canapés specially created by the Chef, delivered to your stateroom on formal night. This benefit can be ordered through room service and should be requested at least six hours prior to the desired delivery time.

Afternoon Tea Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom, should you wish. You may request this via room service at least six hours prior to the desired delivery time.

Upgraded Bathroom Amenities Regardless of your stateroom type, your stateroom bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

PREFERRED DISCOUNT PACKAGE

10% Boutique Discount Our Boutiques are second to none for choice and gift selection. Now, as an Elite Member, take advantage of a 10% discount storewide to buy those extra gifts for all your family back home! Your Cruise Card is your key to this wonderful benefit,- simply show it when you make any purchase, and our Boutique Staff will automatically deduct 10% from your purchase price.

Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting Our Grapevine Wine Tasting Event is popular and many of our Members attend, so we have made arrangements to pick up the cover charge for you!

*Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or cruise days. Land portion of cruisetour does not apply.

**For passengers 21 and over, complimentary mini-bar set-up is one time only, per stateroom. Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting is one per cruise, per Elite Member.

***Excludes same-day service

If you're not Captains Club, is there much to do on the ship? Oh well....I'll just drool and hope like heck I'm seated in the dining room with the rest of the cattle lacking ambition. I've often wondered why there were comments made at places on the Celebrity board asking whether all Celebrity cruisers were snooty. From the comments on this thread, now I know why they were asking such a question. If this is what Elite status does to people, I'm in no hurry to get there.

If they ended the reciprocity I would give a one time pass per cruise to diamond or diamond plus members to enjoy the Celebrity experience. I would do the same for Elites when they cruise RCL. Believe that this could be a good marketing tool. Can't tell you how many times I've met an RCL cruiser during the Elite Hour who told me how much they are enjoying the Celebrity experience and looking forward to booking again. I agree that on some cruises there are just too many people crowding the elite venue and that impacts the total experience. I should add that I also cruise Celebrity for the total experience, not the perks.

This is a good solution as well. That way, people won't feel denied their reciprocity, and get to enjoy the perks at least once. I think Celebrity should start looking into this issue, because sooner or later, I think something will need to be done.

I find the not-too-subtle bashing of Celebrity elite members vaguely amusing. Most elite members didn't get to that level by constantly working for the perks because, up until last year, god knows there weren't any worth working for. I doubt the same could be said of many other lines. Do I enjoy the lounges and the perks? Yes, of course. But if they were taken away tomorrow, I'd still sail Celebrity. My enjoyment of a line is not dictated by some silly perks or status level that can be revoked at any time. I cruise for the Celebrity experience.

I wonder if the people on the RCI threads are whining about all those X cruisers taking advantage of their diamond/diamond + perks?

What diamond perks? :rolleyes:

Additionally, a Celebrity cruiser can never reach Diamond plus based on reciprocity alone. Doesn't cut both ways, which some here find (rightfully, IMHO, if we're supposed to be going for true reciprocity) unfair.

I'm working hard on getting to Elite. When I heard they added the new benefits, I changed my cabin on my next sailing to CC for that extra credit as that will give me 10. So after XMAS we'll be Elite. Can't wait to have that under our belt!

I have to check out Azamara next!

I don't know you, therefore I'm not sure if you are kinding and the Ii and Roya are part of your joke. If this is not a joke, it is one of the most insulting post I've ever read on CC. Uck!!!!!

I wonder how many Celebrity cruisers jumped ship to Royal Caribbean to take advantage of the Diamond perks???? What are the Diamond perks??

Up until about a year or so ago Royal had a cocktail get together for 3 1/2 hours for those Diamond and above as well as suites guests and Elite Captain's Club members from Celebrity. Because the event became sooooooooooo over crowded Royal removed the benefit for Diamond members and restricted it to Diamond Plus members(24+ cruise points) and suite guests. There was such unhappiness with the decision, Royal finally decided to have a 3 1/2 hour wine party for Diamonds each evening and I assume it is opened to CC Elite members. Ironically, when the benefit was originally taken away, many Royal cruisers blamed it on the number of Celebrity Elite members taking advantage of it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Celebrity is going down the same road as Royal and people are planning cruises to achieve Elite status ASAP. Hopefully it won't happen, but if the numbers continue to grow, the cruise line may have to take some measures to limit the numbers at the Elite social event.

Finally, I've always wonder if Celebrity(RCI) introduced the 2 hour cocktails to encourage those disenfranchised Royal cruisers to move over to Celebrity. Total speculation on my part, but interesting and, if true, a great marketing move.

I'm surprised by the number of people who are seriously bothered by two days/evenings fewer to enjoy Michael's Club, and even more surprised by the number of people who choose a cruise line based on its loyalty program. You may not like the "cutbacks" but neither should they surprise you. Why should the cruise lines be any different than the airlines which have been cutting back on their loyalty programs for years now? The perx were great when the number of participating pax was small and manageable but as the number of participants continued to grow, mileage expiration dates and blackout periods were introduced, the number of qualifying seats available on any given flight was reduced and the cost of free tickets and upgrades increased accordingly. Throw in high fuel costs and a soft economy and all those miles sitting in frequent flyer accounts have become increasingly more difficult, if not virtually impossible to use. All things considered, the Captain's Club cutbacks don't seem so terrible.

I'm surprised by the number of people who are seriously bothered by two days/evenings fewer to enjoy Michael's Club, and even more surprised by the number of people who choose a cruise line based on its loyalty program. You may not like the "cutbacks" but neither should they surprise you. Why should the cruise lines be any different than the airlines which have been cutting back on their loyalty programs for years now? The perx were great when the number of participating pax was small and manageable but as the number of participants continued to grow, mileage expiration dates and blackout periods were introduced, the number of qualifying seats available on any given flight was reduced and the cost of free tickets and upgrades increased accordingly. Throw in high fuel costs and a soft economy and all those miles sitting in frequent flyer accounts have become increasingly more difficult, if not virtually impossible to use. All things considered, the Captain's Club cutbacks don't seem so terrible.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't understand where the "two days/evenings fewer to enjoy Michael's Club" comes from. There never was an Elite Lounge open on embarkation night, so at the most, there has been one evening removed...the night of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party, which is open to Select and Elite. In return, the Captain's Club Celebration has been markedly improved, in terms of food, complimentary beverages and entertainment.

Actually, I never went to both, so you couldn't prove it by me that there ever WAS an Elite Lounge open on the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party. Either way, it seems sufficient to me that one party with free drinks is available, I don't think the Senior Officers' Party AND the Elite Lounge are necessary on the same night.

Just sayin' ;).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't understand where the "two days/evenings fewer to enjoy Michael's Club" comes from. There never was an Elite Lounge open on embarkation night, so at the most, there has been one evening removed...the night of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party, which is open to Select and Elite. In return, the Captain's Club Celebration has been markedly improved, in terms of food, complimentary beverages and entertainment.

Actually, I never went to both, so you couldn't prove it by me that there ever WAS an Elite Lounge open on the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party. Either way, it seems sufficient to me that one party with free drinks is available, I don't think the Senior Officers' Party AND the Elite Lounge are necessary on the same night.

Just sayin' ;).

We've never availed ourselves of that perk, thus I based that assessment on what was noted in other threads. Honestly, I'm having some difficulty believing free drinks or the cutback thereof, if in fact there has been a cutback, can be such a big deal to some folks.

We've never availed ourselves of that perk, thus I based that assessment on what was noted in other threads. Honestly, I'm having some difficulty believing free drinks or the cutback thereof, if in fact there has been a cutback, can be such a big deal to some folks.

There are those who crave social contact, those who crave alcohol and those who crave something for nothing. Take your pick.

I think most people are a varying blend of all three.

We found when the gathering is small and intimate in Michaels club, the overall experience is very pleasing. In defense of Celebrity, and as an experienced cruiser (by definition of being Elite) and having awareness about how the cruiseline works, I understand when you have 350 Elites on a cruise, it's just not going to be a one on one situation. I believe one has to have empathy for Celebrity to honor its perks, as best as they can. Sometimes they can't deliver 100% in all areas.

For instance, most emergency practice musters usually occur between 4-6 PM on the day of embarkation, and the event consumes the entire working crew. How could they serve and who would they serve during that time, on embarkation day? I think experienced cruisers should understand this.

Bottom line, this bit of a bother is not damper on our overall experience on Celebrity Ships.

When this thread started it was well understood what the disappointments were.We have been on the Solstice 4 times.

There never was a cocktail hour or breakfast in Michaels on embarkation and disembarkation days.

There never was a cocktail party on the night of the senior officers party.

Only one cocktail party was changed from a cocktail hour to an officers party in the middle of the day, more like a brunch.

I can only speak for myself as I have stated before, we enjoyed meeting new friends on the last night of the cruise to socialize and say goodbye.

We love everything about Celebrity, the Solstice, the Captain, the excellant crew and all of the great perks, and have no plans to change cruise lines but will continue to voice our opinion.

Joel.. death by a thousand cuts...

On my cruise critic profile asking for "favorite port of call" I list Michael's Club. We look forward to the daily gathering of like minded people from 4-6 and I also interpret any cut back of those hours as a clawback of hard won perks.

For years we were promised "improvements are coming." When they finally arrived last year we were impressed with the scope of the new Captain's Club. And now Celebrity, after missing their own timetable for more announcements, after discontinuing their focus groups, after replacing the people in charge of Captain's Club, giving no indication of why they missed their deadline, seems to be altering their program.

joel, just a question. although i am not yet an elite member( i do different cruise lines depending on the time and ports) however, i woulf really like to know, just what exactly do you mean by "like minded people"?

If you're not Captains Club, is there much to do on the ship? Oh well....I'll just drool and hope like heck I'm seated in the dining room with the rest of the cattle lacking ambition. I've often wondered why there were comments made at places on the Celebrity board asking whether all Celebrity cruisers were snooty. From the comments on this thread, now I know why they were asking such a question. If this is what Elite status does to people, I'm in no hurry to get there.

hi happy campers, i know we're sailing together in january. i'd love for you to come to my cabin for a drink. it's in steerage, just below the crew deck. it might be a bit noisy, because they had to put a cot in the engine room for us. i know you'll be big about it as i believe we're probably "like minded people." i really can't wait to get to elite so i can hang out with the really good people. see you in january, shelley

I'd like to give some final thoughts on my original post and try to bring the topic back to the questions I asked in that post. It seem this thread was so successfully hijacked by a few that made it about the value of the benefit cutback itself or shed doubt that there has been a cutback at all.

And those posters that said some of us, including myself were spreading misinformation, rumors or worse. Below is a link where you can download a .PDF file showing the Elite Events Letter of my November 28th, 2009 TA on Century. Also included is the Elite Events Letter form the June 27th, 2010 Solstice sailing forward recently by a friend:

Elite Events Letters 2009-2010

As evident on the two Events letters there is no notation on the Elite Social Hour being closed in relation to any other events on the 11-28-09 sailing. This is because all events were scheduled in a manor to allow participation in both.

The 6-27-10 Solstice sailing has the following text added under the "Captains Club Celebration" and "Senior Officers Cocktail Party":

" ** Kindly note the Captain's Club Elite Lounge will be closed this afternoon."

The bottom of the letter contains the following under "Exclusive Access to the Captains Club Lounge":

"* Closed on embarkation and evenings of Senior Officers and Captains Club Celebration Parties."

Celebrity's website under Captains Club Elite Tier benefits presently states this:

"

NEW Access to the Captain's Club Lounge at Michael's Club for daily coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (excludes embarkation and disembarkation dates)"

The back of 11-28-2009 Elite Events Letter list the Captain's Club benefits based on tier levels and contains the following wording:

Classic 1-4 tier credits:

"* Access to the Captains Club Celebration"

Select 5-9 tier credits:

"* Invitation to the Senior Officers Cocktail Party"

Elite 10+ tier credits:

As a member of our Elite tier, you will enjoy all the benefits of the Classic and Select membership*, plus:

"* Access to the new Captain's Club Lounge at Michael's Club for coffeehouse-style breakfast and evening social hour"

The above agrees with the present tier benefits as outlined on the Celebrity website which has been the basis of all Captain's Club tier benefits in the past (i.e. upper tier benefits are in addition to the benefits of the lower tiers). It's also the basis for which they were applied on the November 28th 2009 Century sailing.

The above seems no longer be the case on at least two days of recent Solstice Sailings.

Logistically speaking, on the Century sailing there were 110 Elite tier Captain's Club members and a much higher than average percentage of total members onboard. The Captains Club Celebration event had to be held on two consecutive days as a result of total CC members onboard. All events took place in the Crystal Room lounge and scheduling was set to allow multiple events on the same day at reasonable times based on type of event. All worked to perfection so it can be done if they intend to do it this way.

In today's economy we all understand the need for cutbacks and face them everyday. However when most major companies cutback the benefits of their highest tier loyalty program customers, they do so by sending out a letter of intent and/or posting the same publicly with an effective date to properly inform their affected customers.

How would most of you feel if a major airline cut the value of a upper tier benefit of their frequent flyer program and informed you (effective this flight) of this change with a letter once they are seated in the plane for takeoff? While at the same time they advertising it publicly as if it hadn't changed.

The effect of the cutback is of less value than the way you are treated and respected by the company. What the value of two days less access to the Elite Lounge is to someone on a 14 night cruise vs. someone on 4 night cruise that finds out onboard he can only enjoy this benefit 1 night instead of 3, will be different.

To rephrase my initial questions…

Is it fair for Celebrity to change policy on Captain's Club tier benefits and have lower tier events trump upper tier events if they fall on the same day?

Is it fair for them to do so by means of a notice in your stateroom once you have boarded the ship, while stating they have not changed publicly?

My original post was in regards to means and methods not the value of cutback.

IMHO - Give me the benefits I've earned that you've promised and stated so in writing or show me the proper respect by giving me some advance notice of change - not after I've step foot on the ship!

What started out as 2, soon became 3, 3 is now 4 and with so many that accept this, I sure we'll see more… more being LESS:rolleyes:.

Joel

Archived