Unexplained Increase in Taxes after booking

XFed2001

I'm with xfed on this. I booked a cruise on HAL only 3 weeks ago. I just went online to pay the second half of what is due and the cost has gone up 96dollars. I can not ask my mother in law for more money. I have told her what her share is and to me thats that. Any extra that are now charged I must pay. And 96 dollars is alot to have added on after only a few weeks. I have been on 4 cruises with celebrity and 1 with NCL. No increase on any of those. My TA said it was very common with HAL???

I am going to see if there is a suitable cruise that goes through the panama canal on a different line. This is the first time with Holland and it just doesn't sit well with me. $15 maybe, not $96 though. I also am going to ask my husband to forget the 30 day cruise he wants with them.

I don't hold much hope on finding a suitable panama cruise though. This is something my MIL wants to do and since she is very sick with cancer she needs to do this cruise. Oh well, but I would rather eat the 150 for insurance than be charged an extra 96. And also is that it or more increase to come?

I don't hold much hope on finding a suitable panama cruise though. This is something my MIL wants to do and since she is very sick with cancer she needs to do this cruise. Oh well, but I would rather eat the 150 for insurance than be charged an extra 96. And also is that it or more increase to come?
I suggest you pay the extra money for both of you, and go. You won't miss the $192 after she's passed on, but you may regret scrubbing the cruise if you do that.

Any country or port can increase its fees/taxes any time, so yes it's possible that there may be an additional increase, but not likely.

I just finished reading a book about the cruise industry. The author claims that Carnival Corp (HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc) has arrangements with some port authorities to rebate back to Carnival a large proportion of the tax that it charges to it's customers. Nice arrangement for some.

I just finished reading a book about the cruise industry. The author claims that Carnival Corp (HAL, Princess, Celebrity, etc) has arrangements with some port authorities to rebate back to Carnival a large proportion of the tax that it charges to it's customers. Nice arrangement for some.

Celebrity? :confused:

Since when did Carnival Corp. purchase Celebrity?:confused:

I'm sorry I didn't find the other links on this subject. I am now more comfortable with the tax/port fee increases given your various input. What you all shared makes sense and definitely was not a deal breaker. This really was the first time that I've encountered an increase from the originally stipulated fare in almost 40 years of cruising. Just lucky I guess. Thanks all. Happy and safe cruising to all of you!

Read your cruise contract. HAL does not keep the taxes and fees. They just pass it through to the countries or ports involved. If they have to pay more, you will have to pay more.

DON

I'm with xfed on this. I booked a cruise on HAL only 3 weeks ago. I just went online to pay the second half of what is due and the cost has gone up 96dollars. I can not ask my mother in law for more money. I have told her what her share is and to me thats that. Any extra that are now charged I must pay. And 96 dollars is alot to have added on after only a few weeks. I have been on 4 cruises with celebrity and 1 with NCL. No increase on any of those. My TA said it was very common with HAL???

I am going to see if there is a suitable cruise that goes through the panama canal on a different line. This is the first time with Holland and it just doesn't sit well with me. $15 maybe, not $96 though. I also am going to ask my husband to forget the 30 day cruise he wants with them.

Are you really actually planning to cancel because of a $96 increase?

DON

And just because you read it in a book it MUST be true.

I just finished reading a book which discussed how a significant portion of the US population will choose to believe virtually any off-the-wall conspiracy theory if it relieves them of any need to think.

I just finished reading a book which discussed how a significant portion of the US population will choose to believe virtually any off-the-wall conspiracy theory if it relieves them of any need to think.

LOL, I guess I got us off topic, but it amazes me when people say things like "I read it in the paper or a book" like that is the end of a discussion. That should just be the beginning of the discussion. Critical thinking is a skill many of us lack...myself included sometimes!!!:eek:

If it makes you feel any better, go ahead and cancel. I think you will find, however, that any other cruise line, going on the same itinerary, will charge the same taxes. Its sort of like, if you had a deal to buy a Ford, and when you went in the next day to sign the papers, the state had raised the sales tax rate, and you decided to go buy a Chevy, instead.

You may even find a better price, but it WON'T be because of taxes.

Paul

I don't get your math - you would rather be out $150 than $96?

Anyway, before you make those #%@*$ 's at HAL sorry, you might want to double check all items so you can compare the new amount in taxes HAL is passing on with the amount in taxes your alternate cruise would pass along.

We did the Panama and the port charges are very expensive and the Panama authorities are upping them. That is a fact. Why bite of your nose to spite your face? go on the cruise and enjoy it. the fact that you weren't charged previously doesn't mean it wouldn't happen this time, especially with the Panama. I've been on lots of cruises (with HAL and others) where there were no changes and we've been on cruises where there are. Europe, Panama are two key areas where, depending on ports there will be changes. Have a great cruise :)

It has come to my attention that HAL and its parent, Carnival Lines, have quietly and inexplicably increased the taxes/fees for cruises already booked. To wit, my wife and I booked an SY category cabin on the Dec 3, 2010 sailing of the Zuiderdam out of Ft Lauderdale. The original invoice (exclusive of insurance) for 2 was $3308 for the cruise plus $978.46 for Gov't taxes & fees. I just received and paid the final invoice which turned out to be higher by an extra $90.06 -- ostensibly for taxes. My cruise agent is at a lost to explain it and has been unsuccessful in getting any explanation from either HAL or Carnival. Has anyone else encountered this seemingly odd (possibly illegal) increase in their dealings with HAL/Carnival? I am about to write a letter to Mr. Stein Kruse whom I believe is the President and CEO of HAL in Seattle. As appropriate, I plan to ask the FTC and the states attorney general to look into this practice if the increase is not explained to my satisfaction and is legal. Thought I'd share this with my fellow cruisers.

Hi, we just got an increase in $108.00pp for our cruise, and according to HAL, these are government taxes and not port taxes, but they couldn't explain where these taxes are coming from, they're checking on it..

We paid our final payment a few weeks ago, and oops, the price went up $30.

am I asking, no. I know there will be an explanation (normally) when I get on board and there could be another increase or another decrease. That's life.

I would NEVER cancel a cruise for a few dollars. Government taxes are very similar to port taxes I believe. John probably knows better than I.

They can be included in the port taxes or levied separately.

In any case I do not believe that the cruise lines are trying to 'fool' us or nickle and dime us. If they hit an extra charge, then we pay for it.

Fair is fair. We are heading out shortly. Have NOT cancelled our cruise because it went up a few dollars. Really looking forward to it and wish you all the best.
\
Have a great cruise.

Death & taxes...LOL.

I just received this email from My TA -

Hi Bill,

We’ve received this tax notice from Holland America:

“Due to governmental action, actual taxes for this voyage are now greater than previously advised. As a result, an increase of $7.89 USD has been applied to your booking.”

I will update your confirmation to reflect this change and email you a new one. Let me know if you have any questions!

No I didn't cancel. But I was looking at the princess cruise and had I know the HAL cruise would go up I might have gone with the other cruise. I checked with the TA company I booked with and the increase was 2 days after I booked the cruise. I would have had to be gone from work for more than the three weeks I took, with the princess cruise. While I do have 4 more weeks I can use I hate using so much at the beginning of the year. We vacationing in Florida for a bit prior to the cruise with my Husband and SIL and BIL.

I did get a nice email from HAL about the increase and they person also said an increase so close to when I booked it is an unfortunate thing. Seemed like they cared so that made me feel better.

[quote name='SAN415']But I was looking at the princess cruise and had I know the HAL cruise would go up I might have gone with the other cruise. [/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Since the increase was due to port and/or government charges, the price of the other cruise might have gone up, too. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived