What made you choose the cruises you did?

pappagene

We usually sail RCCL, then NCL but when we got a 7 night MSC Orchestra inside for $249 (and then got upgraded to an outside obstructed) we couldn't resist. :D:D:D I mean - come on!! They were just starting to break into the Caribbean market. It was GREAT!!

We booked the EPIC for both price (well far in advance) and time frame. It was when our DD's could get off from work.

But our upcoming Med cruise we decided to splurge. Balcony virgins. Here it was itinerary and ship.

I do like doing cruises out of NYC though - no planes.

What one thing swayed you pick the cruises that you took?

For my first cruise it was a theme cruise in 1995 on the Norway. Sail with various professional drivers and their families. I repeated the Norway 2 more times because I loved the ship. Next was the Norwegian Majesty. She was a short drive for me and I could visit family at the same time. Then came the Norwegian Spirit out of New Orleans. Again, it was a short drive for us and I just wanted to go on a cruise. We then went on Freedom of the Seas. We had a easy drive to Port Canaveral (starting to see a pattern?) We just wanted to try something different. Our cruise in January on the Spirit was picked because we were offered a good price on a Balcony, we are celebrating our 35 anniversary and $250 OBC.

Now how about you?

Gene

I would have to say that for us it has been in this order, more or less:

1. Itinerary

2. Departure Port (we prefer New York, New Jersey or Boston)

3. Cruise Line (we have cruised mostly with NCL but, we do like Holland America and Royal Caribbean)

4. Ship (we prefer small ships, but, we do LOVE the Dawn!!)

That said, after 10 cruises since 1995 (to the Caribbean or Bermuda), my DD and I are trying something NEW AND ADVENTURESS, A RUSSIAN RIVER CRUISE, next May.....!!!

I thought I would "shake things up" a little bit......;)

It's going to be a "Mommy and Daughter Trip". My Honey Bun gets to stay home and "mind the fort". dogperson.gifcatlady.gif :D

article-0-05FA3F3D000005DC-792_468x286.jpg

moscow.jpg

3 things make us decide....

price...Itin...dates

Dates..price...Itin

Itin...price... dates

so we have our 4th family cruise booked and are just waiting for the dates to open up for our 5th and it is going this way...

DCL....Itin...then price....then date

CCL..Canada....price..itin...date

CCL..Grand Med....Itin...Price...Dates

NCL..Bahamas/Florida...Price ...dates...itin..

Princess..Grand Med....Date..Itin...Price

All in all...it is about what is best for us:) and depending on the type of cruise any of the things may take precedence

I would have to say that for us it has been in this order, more or less:

1. Itinerary

2. Departure Port (we prefer New York, New Jersey or Boston)

3. Cruise Line (we have cruised mostly with NCL but, we do like Holland America and Royal Caribbean)

4. Ship (we prefer small ships, but, we do LOVE the Dawn!!)

That said, after 10 cruises since 1995 (to the Caribbean or Bermuda), my DD and I are trying something NEW AND ADVENTURESS, A RUSSIAN RIVER CRUISE, next May.....!!!

I thought I would "shake things up" a little bit......;)

It's going to be a "Mommy and Daughter Trip". My Honey Bun gets to stay home and "mind the fort". dogperson.gifcatlady.gif :D

article-0-05FA3F3D000005DC-792_468x286.jpg

moscow.jpg

waving at you from White Plains!!

Our first cruise was a 4 day 'test' drive leaving from a port near DH's home town. This way we could visit his old stomping ground and get our toes wet, so to speak. He ended up being very claustrophobic as the 2K pax milled around waiting in just a couple gathering spots for over 2 hours waiting to get off. Catalina was okay, Ensenada stunningly meh...

Having sampled Carnival for that first cruise, I next wanted a longer 7 night cruise to a more interesting locale. Alaska's Inside Passage beckoned...I was interested in 3 of the ports and the deal maker was the Seattle to Seattle roundtrip (then a novelty)...no passport needed! DH bowed out 3 days before (he couldn't fly with a sinus infection), so I did a solo...didn't know another soul on board. HAL was interesting, the Amsterdam an old school charmer.

For our upcoming cruise, I picked based on point of embarkation, NOLA, and destination, Western Carribean...4 ports and Roatan and Belize especially of interest. Never been to New Orleans but have wanted to show support and pump up the economy with a few days pre-cruise. Seriously we can do some damage (Bon Ton Cafe, Mr. B's, Napolean House and Chubby's Cheesesteaks), in a short period of time!

Plus the time frame must fit...at our Medical Center, RNs must put in for their vacation at least 6 months to a year in advance. A wiser person might have noted that May 1st, and the couple days before, were the second weekend of Jazz Fest way down yonder...which could be hairy?

NCL was seriously on a list of cruise lines I'd wanted to sample...the Spirit sounds like a treasure and you can see the progression from lower deck midships window to midships middle deck picture window to forward, upper deck (though the least forward of the AC Suites).....

Southern/Western Europe and New Zealand/Australia will be searched and researched for the next several cruises...so ports play a prime role (embark and debark included) for the future.

And the dream? West Coast to Hawaii, Tahiti and Bora Bora, more New Zealand (North and South Islands) and Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and either Whitsunday Islands or Cairns would complete the Big Lotto (or generous elderly relative bequest) vision. Would NCL do what Hal already (mostly) does, at some point in the future???

First Cruise: We were going to take a 2-week vacation to Hawai'i. American Express told us about their partnership with NCL, and we noticed that there would be a cruise on the Pride of Aloha that fit neatly right in the middle of the vacation. We bought it, loved it, and became hooked.

Second Cruise: DDP and I both got new jobs that started on the same day, so we decided to take a week between jobs and take a cruise to Alaska in June! The Pearl from Seattle beckoned, and we had a fantastic time. Only time we've flown in the morning of the cruise. Had no problems, but would not do it again. Not enough time to enjoy Seattle!

Third Cruise: DDP wanted to try a TA. So we found the 13-day Western Med/TA on the Gem. Thought it would be great. It was. Flew through Dublin to Barcelona, then had a wonderful cruise. Told you we were hooked.

Fourth Cruise: Similar to first cruise--planned a vacation to Australia, then looked to see if we could fit a cruise in. And we did. It was on Rhapsody of the Seas (NCL doesn't do Australia), and had a grand time on that one, too.

Fifth Cruise (coming up): Baltic Capitals on the Sun. Found it in the catalog and decided we simply must do this cruise if possible. Would have liked to have gone out of London, but Copenhagen it is. I'm sure we'll love this one, too.

Cruises 1, 3, and 4 included the Thanksgiving holiday. Cruises 2 and 5 were/will be in June.

--Michael

First cruise was on Princess we wanted to have the least number of kids and not be to stuffy. Next was RCL friends invited us 2 weeks before they were going. This one on NCL because i always wanted to do the Panama canal and couldn't beat the price

I love the "couldn't beat the price" comment. I picked my next Spirit trip for that reason.

Wanted to try something new... I use to work for an airline lost my flight benefits after I lost my job and we just couldnt go back to long distance travel in coach... So we said what the hell, lets try a cruise, and we ended loving the Freestyle and have never looked back...

Our first cruise was based on a radio promotion I listened to driving home from work. I had cancelled two previous land vacations to Italy and thought, I'm gonna do this. Booked it. NCL Jewel. Hooked. Been with NCL since. We want to see the world a cruise at a time.:)

Our first cruise was based on a radio promotion I listened to driving home from work. I had cancelled two previous land vacations to Italy and thought, I'm gonna do this. Booked it. NCL Jewel. Hooked. Been with NCL since. We want to see the world a cruise at a time.:)

Trying to do just that - see the world one cruise at a time, although we tend to take a cruise in the Caribbean in between, because we really like to travel somewhere warm!! with sand between our toes!! So - here's the list

Itinerary

Price for the balcony, because we don't want to travel in anything less than that

Cruiseline

Date

Offers - OBC, etc.

I'm wide open when it comes to choosing cruises. Most of the time, it's the itinerary, but there are times when the ship is the primary destination - like the Epic cruise we are leaving for tomorrow. Then I always love to pick up a bargain and throw that into the mix. I pretty much have reached a point where exotic-longer cruises will also be a part of my cruise plans. Flying has become such a pain in the a$$ that I would rather take fewer, but longer cruises and reduce one of the flights I take each year.

No flying is paramount! 8 - 10 people in one HUGE limo and to the port within an hour! And same on the end of the cruise.....one limo and we are home off of the ship and home within an hour......now if only MORE lines would do Los Angeles embarkation itineraries! Looks like next year we will have to fly......

Or MORE 10 or more days to Mexico? Heck....we would pay! When it was just DH and I, we would do 10 days RT to Mexican Riviera repeatedly! But this Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta is getting old......

Itinerary and price are my two priorities. :) The world is small with my husband's retired airline benefits, so, I'm on several cruise discounter web sites and especially like a give away bargain. Picked up a $399 plus $150 obc for a 12 dayer, leaving in a few days. :)

I'll try new places etc etc, but do, always end back at my favorites, Alaska and Europe every year. Cruise 66 coming up for me. :)

they were my 1st, in 1969! I was invited to do upcoming Dec/Dawn ..to share w/ friend of a friend, who didnt have a cabin mate. Price thru my TA was over $200 less than what the promoter was selling it for. So I booked it for us. We have met and my pals will be on it also, with a huge group, but I dont/wont join in their stuff, as I am not a member of the Assoc.

We chose Spirit Sept. 25, because of the Canada/New Englad itinerary and the great price.

We like cruising NCL. This will be my 6th with NCL, 7th for Mom, and 5th for my sister.

In March we will be on Jewel for the Nick cruise. We chose the week of the 13th, because of the great deal that was offered for that week.

We mostly sail for itinerary, line, ship....but our next cruise is friends, ship, line, itinerary.

Hoping they bring back some more one-time itineraries like the Black Sea last year....that was very interesting.

Time of year and price. We needed something during January so our son who is in college could join us. Place also played a big part. I wanted a warm vacation since the last several winters we have gone skiing out west. The freestyle experience also was a big factor.

Archived