Rain & Bad Weather: How do you handle this in port?

Sailfish

We are leaving on Sunday; boarding the Mariner of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera. Luckily, no big storms or hurricanes are on the horizon, but the weather forecast in port is calling for rain, rain and more rain.

I would hate to remain on the ship non-stop, but I also am not thrilled to be out in a rain storm, even if air temps are in the 80's. Any suggestions?

Suzi

Depends on the port. If it's for sightseeing, exploring that's just part of the mix. Take an umbrella, jacket or something and stay covered.

If it's a beach destination though, might have a look around but if you're there to relax it may be more relaxing on board.

Depends on the port. If it's for sightseeing, exploring that's just part of the mix. Take an umbrella, jacket or something and stay covered.

If it's a beach destination though, might have a look around but if you're there to relax it may be more relaxing on board.

We are heading to beach locations in all three ports of call in Mexico. I hate the thought of sitting under a palapa on the beach in the rain! The alternative is remain on the ship - which doesn't thrill me. Do they schedule any extra activities on rainy days?

We pack 99 cent K-Mart type ponchos. If its a rainy day we put on our ponchos and flip-flops, hike to the nearest beach bar, enjoy a rum punch and the scenery. The bars are usually pretty empty and have had good, friendly service.

We have also gone snorkeling on rainy days. Once in the water you don't notice the rain much.

On our last cruise we were in Belize and our excursion was to see some ruins and go on a river tour. It was POURING RAIN while we were on the uncovered boat. We had rain slapping us in the face the entire ride!!!! We had rain ponchos but they were not much help. We made the best of it and still had a great time. By the time we got to the ruins the rain was done!

I did Cabo in the rain last February, and Pearl Harbor in the rain in May.

Take an umbrella and/or poncho and just do it!

It's only water, and hey, that's what you are living on for a week......:)

If you are planning on laying out at the beach, then the rain can put a damper on your day. But there are cantinas and places to shop and grab a bite of non-ship food.

It's messy, but doable.

Then again, maybe it WON'T rain! :D

I'm on Mariner the week after you.............can't wait, rain or shine!!

We always pack a handful of the 99-cent throw away ponchos on any trip to use and discard when the storm passes or we go inside. We also each have one travel outfit that is the thin microfiber material that water just sort of rolls off. So even it we get drenched, we are "dry" again in a matter of minutes (and don't have to worry about the suddenly "see-through" cotton of some garments. :D) We pull those outfits out if it is going to be a rainy day.......:)

I would hate to remain on the ship non-stop, but I also am not thrilled to be out in a rain storm, even if air temps are in the 80's. Any suggestions?

Rain in the Caribbean seldom lasts all day. We have awakened a number of times to a rainy morning. However, it has always cleared up within a few hours. That's the beauty of the Caribbean... it may rain often, but it usually doesn't last long! We have been rained on when doing a water-based excursion, but who cares?! We are already in the water and wet. We have continued sightseeing in the rain, just chose to wear shorts/shirts in that "quick dry" material that day, so when the rain stopped our clothes dried quickly. Sometimes we stay onboard for a while until it clears....sleep in, leisurely breakfast or lunch, get a coffee and a comfy chair with a book, whatever, just to kill some time. And of course the old standby option.... just find a restaurant or bar or beach palapa that has covered outdoor (or indoor if you must) seating, and enjoy lunch and drinks. Chances are, by the time you are finished the rain will be over with and the sun will be out. :)

When we cruised to Bermuda the forcast was for rain all week. We never saw a rain drop the entire time that we were there.

This is, however, one of the reasons that I like sailing the Southern Caribbean. The weather there is beautiful. Of course it rains there but we have been very fortunate in that we and rain have never been there at the same time.

I just go shopping---from one little store to the next. We also do history tours that take you inside. Bring a poncho and your set. We never worry about the weather as it's always so unpredictable. On vacation--go with the flow!!

Hi Suzi, are you at the Chicken Festival, today? :D

I have to go along with all the "go with the flow" posters. A lot of times, there will be staff handing out those cheap plastic rain ponchos, as you leave the ship. Once, we jumped on a trolley and just rode around until it stopped raining. However, I know you're water lovers, so even just swimming, snorkeling or SCUBAing (?? is that a word ??) wouldn't be affected by the rain.

Personally, I would use Mazatlan as a sea day anyway, but that's JMHO. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason to just stay on the ship because of some rain (which you will, apparently, be leaving back home on Sunday ... for me to "enjoy")!

Have a fun cruise! ~ Lorna

We are heading to beach locations in all three ports of call in Mexico. I hate the thought of sitting under a palapa on the beach in the rain! The alternative is remain on the ship - which doesn't thrill me. Do they schedule any extra activities on rainy days?

Agree with all the other posters, don't sweat the what you can't control!

your on vacation, roll with it! The ship is actually pretty nice when in port and everyone is off!

Happy cruising!:)

We were on a Bermuda cruise (about 4 years ago) and it rained the entire 3 days we were there. I mean - POURED - non-stop for 3 days. I have to admit... it was awful. The mood on the ship was pretty somber. We had rented mopeds and made an effort to get out each day- even in the rain. We stumbled upon Crystal Caves and went on a tour and we found a local popular bar and had drinks... we made the best of it, but we were really disapointed.

ps... when the ship was getting ready to leave port... the sun came out! Go figure. :rolleyes:

You can't control Mother Nature!

It poured buckets while I was in St. Lucia. Many people b**ing and moaning about the rain. I kept thinking that I'd rather see rain in St. Lucia than know that it's sunny and beautiful while I'm stuck in my cube at the office. Now, granted, that doesn't compare to Royal Girl's washout in Bermuda but I'm just sayin'.

What do you do at home when it rains? Do you stay inside and hide, or do you go out and enjoy yourself? When I pay the bucks to vacation, I go out and enjoy myself, rain or shine!

Well said. When we were at Nachi Cochum in Cozumel last February, it rained and we made the most of it. It sure beat the snow and ice of New Hampsha!;)

When we were in Barbados it chucked down with rain - I insisted on going to the beach!! I was in Barbados and most certainly had to see the beach.

Anyway it was much better than being at my 9am-5pm job at home - warm rain sure beats day to day routine.

Barbara

Pretend you are in the Military!

I wide brimed baseball cap and clothing and shoes that won't mind water will work well.

Go out and have fun and if you get soaking wet, you don't have to take a shower when you return to the ship. :D

Archived