Vancouver terminals BUSY today

Davidson Duo

Today is going to be VERY busy for cruise passengers in Vancouver. It is the end of the season, and there will be 8 ships in port. This was what was said in our local newspaper.

Up to 16,000 cruise-ship passengers are expected to embark and disembark from eight vessels at Canada Place and Ballantyne terminals between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. today.

Passenger traffic peaks in Vancouver at the beginning of the cruise-ship season and at its end, which is this weekend, said Port Metro Vancouver spokeswoman Barb Joy-Kinsella.

"The number of passengers embarking and disembarking will create a lot of congestion around Canada Place," Joy-Kinsella said.

Some of the passengers will be boarding cruise ships on their relocation cruises to southern destinations for the winter season.

The one-day, high-volume event will generate more vehicle traffic downtown and increased demand for taxis and public transit, she said.

Port Metro Vancouver is urging cruise passengers to make transportation arrangements in advance and not to arrive at the terminals before their scheduled boarding time.

Two major conventions — the World Route Development Forum and the Grand Wedding Show — will add to the congestion, the City of Vancouver warned Friday in a media statement.

All-day movie shoots on Howe Street at Cordova, plus the annual Terry Fox Run in Stanley Park, will also disrupt traffic.

To all those lucky HAL cruisers who will be traveling through the Vancouver Port today, please remember to take your patience and understanding with you. It is going to be a VERY BUSY day. :)

I had wanted to go down to Canada Place and photograph all the ships as they came in today, but there's always one "Crazy Sunday" in Vancouver each September, and this year promises to be crazier than most with the film closures, road closures, and the Terry Fox run.

I decided I don't want to be anywhere near it!

Our son and family are on the NCL but have to embark at the Ballentyne

pier - they were not happy about that as they could have taken skytrain if it had been at Canada Place.

They should be thrilled. Ballentyne should be a lot less congested than Canada Place.

What ships are going to be there today?

I know from HAL, there's the Rotterdam, Ryndam and Statendam.. as well as an NCL and an X ship.. but who else?

These are the ones I know - not sure of the other 2

Spirit of Endeavor

Celebrity Mercury

Norwegian Pearl

HAL Ryndam

HAL Statendam

HAL Rotterdam

I was at Ballantyne at 8 am and the two ships there were the Norwegian Pearl and HAL Rotterdam. They were moving people out of the terminal and into cabs faster than I've ever seen there. I appeared that everything was moving fast and efficiently. I went back at noon and there were line ups to drop your baggage off, but not long and again, everything appeared to be moving smoothly. I didn't drive through downtown so didn't see what the traffic was like at Canada Place. Because of the Terry Fox run today in Stanley Park, I took my friends (who I'd picked up at 8 am) up to Lynn Canyon for a nice hike in the rainy rain forest. When I dropped them off at the Rotterdam I really wanted to go with them - 35 days to the South Pacific on my favourite ship. The rain has stopped and it looks like it'll be nice for sail away at 2pm.

My father called from the Rotterdam at 1356, He JUST arrived on the ship and got to his suite with only minutes to spare... Said it was crazy busy and of course had trouble getting a taxi from the bus terminal to the pier...would not listen to his daughter about the mad house today was going to be... BUT he is on safe and sound and on his way to enjoy 35 days of rest and relaxation. Only thing better would be if I could have gone with him... what a amazing trip he will be enjoying:)

Ruth - the thing is, if they could have taken skytrain - no driving - as it was son had to drive through that mess and then leave his son, who is not familiar with the downtown area, to drive back out of the mess and home again.

Skytrain is great - just walk half a block to the terminal - check your luggage in and sit and wait. Have done that many times.

Going to be kinda the same maybe worse, next sunday in Quebec city

Crown Princess turning around

Adaluna, Silver Whisper and Maasdam All in at the same time.

Today there were NO ships in at all, and the Port area was a total

traffic parking lot nightmare, Imagine next sunday Yikes!!!!!!

add the Tour Buses & Trucks of food, ad the pedestians who come to see the ships. Oh boy!!!!!!!! been through this before and it is no fun at all for some of us (just gets way too crowded)

Well less ships than 8, but congestion wise it will be bad,

Glad we're leaving on the Zaandam on Saturday, October 2nd, when (according to the schedule) the only other ship in port is the Norwegian Star. The last Vancouver departure of the season appears to be the Island Princess on Sunday, October 3rd.

You'll have no problems on the 2nd...October's always a very relaxed month at Canada Place. There's only a few departures left, many of the land-based tourists have skipped town, and traffic in general is better.

I commute downtown every day for work - our offices are in Gastown not far from the famous 'steam clock', and I sure am looking forward to the uncongested winter months :)

You'll have no problems on the 2nd...October's always a very relaxed month at Canada Place. There's only a few departures left, many of the land-based tourists have skipped town, and traffic in general is better.

I commute downtown every day for work - our offices are in Gastown not far from the famous 'steam clock', and I sure am looking forward to the uncongested winter months :)

Aaron, come down to Canada Place on October 2nd and take a photo of the Zaandam for us:) Or, maybe you and Kim can stop by at the Fairmont Waterfront on Friday, where my sister and I will be staying. Would love to meet the photographer of all those gorgeous ship photos that I've enjoyed so much over the years:) Treat you to a drink (or dinner) if you like:)

Karin

Archived