Those wondering if they should get a passport:

G&TQ

How much more sarcastic can you get?
To repeat my question above... if exaggerations and factually incorrect information is being posted, what is the correct response?

Unless you really didn't understand the simple point I was making.... I was referring to specifically passport versus any other document to BOARD the ship at embarkation.

What is the contrast you see between a passport versus other documents? For many cruises you are told you need either a valid passport or a valid birth cirtificated and DL to board. A valid passport is no better or no worse than a valid versions of other documents. For both, you need to be sure you have the right documents and that they are valid.

You were making a differntion between the two that I think is incorrect. You used the word "guarantee" which I hope we all agree in not appropriate. How should I have responded?

I have never understood why intelligent people act like they don't understand simple statements just for the sake of arguing.

You used the word "guarantee" when we all agree there is no guarantee. Can you see why that would make your "simple statement" a bit hard to understand?

Edited to add the following clear statement:

Having a valid unexpired passport in you possession issued by your country's government agency that has your correct and legitimate information and it matches your cruising documents and you are standing at the correct cruise line terminal check-in for the correct cruise line, ship and sailing date if you present THAT passport that clearly belongs to you, I can guarantee you have the correct boarding document required to allow you to embark on the ship. If for some other reason you are not allowed on the ship, it WON'T be because you don't have the required travel documents. There, is that clear enough now?

That's perfectly clear. Now substitute "driver's licence and birth certificate" in place of passport and you get an equally true statement. Right?

A visa is something completely different and really has no place in this discussion.
When people - falsly - claim that a passport elimiates all worries with boarding documents, isn't it appropriate to point out that it doesn't? In particular, that it doesn't do away with the need for visas on certain cruises?

I learned long ago, unless you have a legal team look at your posts before clicking "Submit Reply", there will ALWAYS be someone to prove you wrong,
But what if the post *was* wrong?

exaggerate what you said, make up things that you never said and tear your post up as much as they can in order to make themselves feel better and smarter.

I didn't post in order to make myself feel smarter and better. I did it because I believe the post was incorrect. How should I have posted?

As a Brit, and someone who needs a passport to even go the 21 miles across the Channel to France, I am always bemused by the idea of not applying for a passport. Okay the closed loop trips don't require one, but is it such a big deal? Why not get one and open up the rest of our wonderful planet ? I just don't get the aversion thing. Enlighten me, please, someone.

But what if the post *was* wrong?

I didn't post in order to make myself feel smarter and better. I did it because I believe the post was incorrect. How should I have posted?

Oh no, now I am being attacked! (Just kidding) Stupid me for posting, it must have been my medication I swear! :)

I can see some of your points, but when I read posts I "assume" what the people are trying to say without them getting in such detail that it would take a page to type it up.:D Yes, a BC and DL is totally valid for now, but sometimes I try and place a thought in some people's minds like "How easy would it be to have to fly home from Columbia, Panama etc. if you had to leave the cruise because of a family emergency"?

Believe me; if there was a death in the family and you had to do this, it's much easier with a passport than a BC and DL, that's all.

Why not get one and open up the rest of our wonderful planet ? I just don't get the aversion thing. Enlighten me, please, someone.
Many families aren't planning on touring the rest of the world anytime soon. For them, passports cost many hundreds of dollars and likely provide zero benefit.

Is it so hard to understand why a family might not want to pay hundreds of dollars for something that won't do them any good?

I can see some of your points, but when I read posts I "assume" what the people are trying to say without them getting in such detail that it would take a page to type it up.:D

In all honestly, I can't think of any way to interpret the "guarantee" post that makes it legitimate. If we assume they didn't mean guarantee... they just meant "better" it still isn't true. For getting on the ship, a passport isn't better than any other listed documents.

Yes, a BC and DL is totally valid for now, but sometimes I try and place a thought in some people's minds like "How easy would it be to have to fly home from Columbia, Panama etc. if you had to leave the cruise because of a family emergency"?

Believe me; if there was a death in the family and you had to do this, it's much easier with a passport than a BC and DL, that's all.

I wish this is how these threads went. I wish people would point out the pros and cons of getting a passport and let families decide.

Probably the biggest con of not having a passport is that you will be delayed getting home if there is an emergency. How much a delay is it? Is it different coming from Columbia vs the Bahamas? Each family then has to think about it and decide.

Wouldn't that be a great conversation? Instead, we get people posting that everyone should get a passport. Or saying that a passport guarantees you getting on the ship. Or even that a passport makes it easier to get on a ship. Then others point out that isn't true. Then people complain about the person posting that it isn't true. Then the person defends his reasons for posting that it wasn't true. Etc.

Many families aren't planning on touring the rest of the world anytime soon. For them, passports cost many hundreds of dollars and likely provide zero benefit.

Is it so hard to understand why a family might not want to pay hundreds of dollars for something that won't do them any good?

But lets suppose someone in that family gets sick and has to miss the ship in a foreign country...you just spent more money for not having them than you would for having them. Or lets suppose that family has a cruise planned and it is 3 weeks away and they make them mandatory...now they have to not only buy them but pay fo the expedited fee on top of that...

I think the point is it is better to be prepared just in case. They may not be MANDATORY for US closed loop cruises but they are the preferred documents of the cruise lines, airlines, not to mention the DMV, banks, etc...

Wouldn't that be a great conversation? Instead, we get people posting that everyone should get a passport. Or saying that a passport guarantees you getting on the ship. Or even that a passport makes it easier to get on a ship. Then others point out that isn't true. Then people complain about the person posting that it isn't true. Then the person defends his reasons for posting that it wasn't true. Etc.

LOL, welcome to Cruise Critic!:D There's one guarantee, the world is full of all types of people with all types of suggestions! It can make any sane person INSANE!

As a Brit, and someone who needs a passport to even go the 21 miles across the Channel to France, I am always bemused by the idea of not applying for a passport. Okay the closed loop trips don't require one, but is it such a big deal? Why not get one and open up the rest of our wonderful planet ? I just don't get the aversion thing. Enlighten me, please, someone.

See, you need one to go 21 miles; we can go 3,000 miles without one.

...but don't come crying when DHS/or country of entry changes policy and you can't go where you want. Why is it only Americans who think they have the right to travel to other countries without a passport? (Do not even think of bringing up issues of illegal immigration here-I know I opened that door-this is me kicking it shut!:rolleyes:) When entering a country you must follow their rules.

The cruise lines don't set up the policies they only follow them. Right now a certified birth certificate and DL is enough for some cruises, but that will change. Until then take your chances.

Why is it only Americans who think they have the right to travel to other countries without a passport?
Americans think they have the right to travel to other countries without a passport in certain circumstances because we do have the right to travel to other countries without a passport in certain circumstances. Make sense?

But we aren't the only ones who feel that way. There are lots of people who can visit other countries without a passport. For example, many Europeans can travel to some parts of Europe with just a national identity card.

I would love to know the reasons people have for not having a passport.If you travel only once a year IMHO you need one.

Why would you need a passport if you only traveled once a year?

Just gonna say it.... (I know people think it)

The lamest thing I've read regarding this subject has always been people making excuses for NOT getting passports for cruising. Whenever I read that some folks don't want to (or can't afford to) get passports since they had been able to board their previous cruises without one I just raise an eyebrow. Are passports really still thought of as an "optional" expense for traveling? How can someone spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation really justify gambling on their ability to board their cruise ship on the day of the cruise because they "think" they have the right travel documents? The precedent has been made over an over on this forum for several years.

There are only two outcomes:

1. Passport - boarding guaranteed

2. Any other travel documents - boarding NOT guaranteed

It's that simple.

(before someone totals the costs of passports for their entire family let me remind them the costs of returning home on the day of embarkation) ;)

That's simply not true. I do have a passport and I agree that it makes life easier but if you bring the right documents that are required you can also board the ship with them. You don't NEED a passport...

And who cares if someone is stranded and needs to get home from an island and can't b/c they don't have a passport? I know I don't... not my problem. That's their problem - I don't know why everyone cares... let it be.

Hi, From what I was told by immigration/customs as of june 1 ,2009 you must have a pssport or passport card. I know that some have gotten away with birth certificate, but i wouldn't count on it. It would be terrible to be denied boarding. For the cost of a passport $10 a year why would anyone limit where they could travel or take a chance of boarding problems. Just my opinion. :)

Here is a link with details. http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

Had a passport since I was 12. I'm 51 right now. In fact I have 2 passports. Polish/EU passport since I was born in Poland and US passport once I passed my citizenship test @ the age of 18. Both countries have an agreement to allow dual citizenship.

Could not imagine traveling ANYWHERE without a passport... but that just me ;)

Hi, From what I was told by immigration/customs as of june 1 ,2009 you must have a pssport or passport card. I know that some have gotten away with birth certificate, but i wouldn't count on it. It would be terrible to be denied boarding. For the cost of a passport $10 a year why would anyone limit where they could travel or take a chance of boarding problems. Just my opinion. :)

Follow your own link, click on 'Special Groups' and then read the info on 'closed loop cruises'.

As a Charter pilot I can't tell you how often we have run into people that have some idea or another why they don't need a passport. Since 9/11 if you leave the country with out a passport you are quite simply out of your mind. Yes if everything goes well you might be able to talk your way through customs with a Birth Certificate and Drivers License but what happens if while you are on that cruise the TSA enacts an emergency law that requires it. Customs is not known for their sense of humor or understanding. If for no other reason than to not completely hold up those behind you you should get your passport. I know I am preaching to the Choir on here since this site is mainly experienced travelers, but maybe someone will finally decide to do it right. The Passport Cards which are valid for ship travel are cheap. Besides applying for your first passport is always fun, that you are actually taking a trip that requires that document adds to the excitement and adventure of your travels!

But that's just me, what do I know....

Read your own link, you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise.

For us the answer is simple- for the type of travel that we do we do not need a passport.

Unless you are taking a cruise that never leaves US waters, you should have a passport.

what happens if -

You are injured on the ship and have to be evacuated - you need a passport

You miss the ship and have to return to the US by Air - you need a passport

You misbehave on the ship and are "kindly asked by the Captain" to disembark at the next port of call and return home on your own - you need a passport

Yes it is unlikely that these things will happen to you, but they do happen, all the time to others, so is it really worth the risk? You get your picture taken and fill out the form and send it in, the whole process takes 30 mins.

As a Charter pilot I can't tell you how often we have run into people that have some idea or another why they don't need a passport. Since 9/11 if you leave the country with out a passport you are quite simply out of your mind. Yes if everything goes well you might be able to talk your way through customs with a Birth Certificate and Drivers License but what happens if while you are on that cruise the TSA enacts an emergency law that requires it. Customs is not known for their sense of humor or understanding. If for no other reason than to not completely hold up those behind you you should get your passport. I know I am preaching to the Choir on here since this site is mainly experienced travelers, but maybe someone will finally decide to do it right. The Passport Cards which are valid for ship travel are cheap. Besides applying for your first passport is always fun, that you are actually taking a trip that requires that document adds to the excitement and adventure of your travels!

But that's just me, what do I know....

Good point. As long as everyone I'm traveling w/ has a passport I don't really care what others do... it's their right to not get one if they don't want to, know what I mean....

Americans think they have the right to travel to other countries without a passport in certain circumstances because we do have the right to travel to other countries without a passport in certain circumstances. Make sense?

The State Department and DHS have been warning travelers leaving the USA to get a passport, that certified birth certificates are no longer going to be accepted. It is enforced at certain ports of entry ie Port Angeles Wa requires a passport card or book for ferry entry in and out of the country. Travel with just a birth certificate and drivers license-you won't get very far.

But we aren't the only ones who feel that way. There are lots of people who can visit other countries without a passport. For example, many Europeans can travel to some parts of Europe with just a national identity card.

You may of missed it on the news, but those many Europeans who travel to some parts of Europe with just a national identity card are part of the European Union. Europeans outside of the EU must have a passport entering the EU and mbrs of the EU must have a passport when entering a country not part of the EU.

You don't want a passport? Great! When the rules change or an emergency occurs I won't be scrambling.

A passport is also a *very* solid 2nd form of identification which you may need in some things you might encounter in life. I know I've presented mine several times over the years in manners other than travel, I just can't remember where/why at the moment.

We got our 2yr old a passport for our last cruise. It just didn't make sense not to. My wife's expired once and she had to get one on the quick for an unexpected trip. Anyone who has a trip booked and is waiting on a passport in the mail knows how much sleep is lost during that period! Even if your trip is 6 months away it is still a little unnerving.

Needing to fly back from a foreign port is probably the biggest reason to get one even if you only cruise. Lets say you're on a Belize City excursion and a bus runs you over and busts you up. Would be nice to get back to FL as quickly and safely as possible, along with your family, no?

Lastly, you really never do know when you might need one. If some other member of your family is traveling outside the country and heaven forbid, something happens to them, you might want to have the option of boarding a plane to be by their side, as opposed to worrying about rushing a passport.

At any rate, doesn't really matter, we've got ours and thus we'll be up on deck sailing away and will have nothing to worry about. Just trying to bring up a few things that people may not have thought of.

Archived