Those wondering if they should get a passport:

G&TQ

If you are wondering if you should get a pass port read this carnival thread. It looks like this was due to home land security. I would hate for it to happen to anyone else. Now I need to check when my passport needs renewing.

Happy Sailing!

If you are wondering if you should get a pass port read this carnival thread. It looks like this was due to home land security. I would hate for it to happen to anyone else. Now I need to check when my passport needs renewing.

Happy Sailing!

I would love to know the reasons people have for not having a passport.If you travel only once a year IMHO you need one.

I would love to know the reasons people have for not having a passport.If you travel only once a year IMHO you need one.

I agree! It's funny how people turned it into "I refuse to get a passport" thread instead of heeding the warning posted by the OP.

I agree! It's funny how people turned it into "I refuse to get a passport" thread instead of heeding the warning posted by the OP.

And, if we are lucky, it will soon turn in to a booze smuggling thread!;)

Passports are worth every penny..easy to apply for, good for ten ( ?) years for adults..

It seems fair game to me. The OP took an instance where the cruiser did not have the proper birth certificate, and turned it into a need for a passport thread.

If the cruisers took the proper birth certificate, it would not have been an issue.

To me, this is just another great reminder of why I have a Passport and why I ALWAYS buy trip insurance.

I will not let myself step into the Passport debate that this will likely turn into. ;)

Trip insurance is a good idea for any vacation but it doesn't cover you if you do not have the correct documentation to board the ship. As far as the passport debate, everyone has their own opinions as to why they have passports or why they don't. It would be great if everyone could respect that.

Trip insurance is a good idea for any vacation but it doesn't cover you if you do not have the correct documentation to board the ship. As far as the passport debate, everyone has their own opinions as to why they have passports or why they don't. It would be great if everyone could respect that.

That is what I thought too but according to the OP, Carnival told them had they taken out Carnivals insurance plan they wouldnt have lost all their money.

I am just going on what the OP said :)

I called Carnival and spoke to 3 different people regarding this and was told if we didn’t take the insurance out that Carnival offered we were SOOL

Hi. I just have a question about passports. We applied for my DH passport yesterday. Our cruise is November 27th. Will we get it in time? If it doesn't come what do I do since I had to hand over his birth certificate? They said it would be mailed back. And our two sons are 10 and 7 their birth certificates have a seal and say from the department of vital statistics. I am getting paranoid that we have to get them passports too. If I apply next week for theirs will we get them in time? Sorry if this sounds crazy but I am really nervous because this is our first family trip in 6 years and I would be devastated if we were denied boarding.

According to the OP, Carnival told them had they taken out Carnivals insurance plan they wouldnt have lost all their money.

I am just going on what the OP said :)

The rep may have misspoke. It's always noted that people are responsible for their own ID, it's not the cruiselines' responsibility.

For us the answer is simple- for the type of travel that we do we do not need a passport.

You are correct but you are also limiting the type of travel that you could do and eliminating the many travel opportunities that would be possible if only you had one. It is, of course, a very personal decision and you alone know your travel interests and what they require in the form of documentation. My daughter used a similar argument with me but finally succumbed and got her passport. A few weeks later, her office was looking for someone to fly to England and Germany, and since she now had a passport, she was able to take a fantastic trip paid for by her company. You never know what possibilities might arise in the future, and being prepared might open up a whole new world to you.

Hi. I just have a question about passports. We applied for my DH passport yesterday. Our cruise is November 27th. Will we get it in time? If it doesn't come what do I do since I had to hand over his birth certificate? They said it would be mailed back. And our two sons are 10 and 7 their birth certificates have a seal and say from the department of vital statistics. I am getting paranoid that we have to get them passports too. If I apply next week for theirs will we get them in time? Sorry if this sounds crazy but I am really nervous because this is our first family trip in 6 years and I would be devastated if we were denied boarding.

you should get them without a problem. we got one for our 14 month old and renewed ours for our cruise to bermuda and got it in about 5 weeks. not a bad idea to get passports for the kids. for 1 you wont have to worry about losing birth certificates, for 2, its safer. have a great trip

YOu can check here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html

You should have them in time..5 weeks is the longest that I have heard of personally. Don't be nervous! I have found the passport folks are the one government division that runs smoothly!

My brother had an emergency when his youngest daughter, adopted, needed a new PP for a trip to Korea...he used the expedited service and had it in 48 hours..This was the service from the government not some of those that you see advertised. Avoid those...you end up doing all the work anyway!

THe kid's passports are only good for 5 years, but I always feel more comfortable having them, even if it is just on a cruise. YoOu have 2 months...relax and plan your excursions!!!

Kat

You are correct but you are also limiting the type of travel that you could do and eliminating the many travel opportunities that would be possible if only you had one. It is, of course, a very personal decision and you alone know your travel interests and what they require in the form of documentation. My daughter used a similar argument with me but finally succumbed and got her passport. A few weeks later, her office was looking for someone to fly to England and Germany, and since she now had a passport, she was able to take a fantastic trip paid for by her company. You never know what possibilities might arise in the future, and being prepared might open up a whole new world to you.

I completely concur with you on this, it's always better to have one on hand just in case you would ever need it at the last minute like your daughter did. The other issue I was thinking about is what would someone do if they were on a cruise and something happened back home where they had to fly back from that port? Am I wrong in assuming that there would be a problem trying to obtain an airline ticket from a foreign country with a birth certificate in order to fly back to the U.S.?

Just gonna say it.... (I know people think it)

The lamest thing I've read regarding this subject has always been people making excuses for NOT getting passports for cruising. Whenever I read that some folks don't want to (or can't afford to) get passports since they had been able to board their previous cruises without one I just raise an eyebrow. Are passports really still thought of as an "optional" expense for traveling? How can someone spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation really justify gambling on their ability to board their cruise ship on the day of the cruise because they "think" they have the right travel documents? The precedent has been made over an over on this forum for several years.

There are only two outcomes:

1. Passport - boarding guaranteed

2. Any other travel documents - boarding NOT guaranteed

It's that simple.

(before someone totals the costs of passports for their entire family let me remind them the costs of returning home on the day of embarkation) ;)

Life limits my travel opportunities. Until the kids move out we aren't doing any travel that requires a passport because we can't. Once things change and we can travel more freely then I'll get a passport, but until then there is no need.

Archived