Those wondering if they should get a passport:

G&TQ

just gonna say it.... (i know people think it)

the lamest thing i've read regarding this subject has always been people making excuses for not getting passports for cruising. Whenever i read that some folks don't want to (or can't afford to) get passports since they had been able to board their previous cruises without one i just raise an eyebrow. Are passports really still thought of as an "optional" expense for traveling? How can someone spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation really justify gambling on their ability to board their cruise ship on the day of the cruise because they "think" they have the right travel documents? The precedent has been made over an over on this forum for several years.

There are only two outcomes:

1. Passport - boarding guaranteed

2. Any other travel documents - boarding not guaranteed

it's that simple.

(before someone totals the costs of passports for their entire family let me remind them the costs of returning home on the day of embarkation) ;)

ita!!!!!

With all the responses on the various post on this board concerning this subject of BC's etc, I can't see why anyone would want to take a chance of getting to the port and be denied boarding. Getting a Passport would put all questions and worries and anxieties to rest! But hey that's just me!

You are correct but you are also limiting the type of travel that you could do and eliminating the many travel opportunities that would be possible if only you had one. It is, of course, a very personal decision and you alone know your travel interests and what they require in the form of documentation. My daughter used a similar argument with me but finally succumbed and got her passport. A few weeks later, her office was looking for someone to fly to England and Germany, and since she now had a passport, she was able to take a fantastic trip paid for by her company. You never know what possibilities might arise in the future, and being prepared might open up a whole new world to you.

Of course, she could have gotten one in a couple of days with the expedited service, so I'm not sure I agree that that's a compelling reason to get a passport.

Just gonna say it.... (I know people think it)

The lamest thing I've read regarding this subject has always been people making excuses for NOT getting passports for cruising. Whenever I read that some folks don't want to (or can't afford to) get passports since they had been able to board their previous cruises without one I just raise an eyebrow. Are passports really still thought of as an "optional" expense for traveling? How can someone spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a cruise vacation really justify gambling on their ability to board their cruise ship on the day of the cruise because they "think" they have the right travel documents? The precedent has been made over an over on this forum for several years.

2. Any other travel documents - boarding NOT guaranteed

It's that simple.

(before someone totals the costs of passports for their entire family let me remind them the costs of returning home on the day of embarkation) ;)

It's not that simple - if OP had paid attention to the required documents, she & her family would be onboard right now. I always check the TSA website before I fly to make sure they haven't changed the 3-1-1 bag rules since the last time I flew; it's prudent to make sure that you're still up to date on what's required.

I have a passport, and even thought of bringing it with me on a land trip to Hawaii just in case our flight was cancelled and we had to come home via Vancouver or somewhere in Mexico. Then I decided that I'd rather be stranded for a few days waiting for a direct flight to clear.:D Now, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a foreign port trying to get the proper documentation to get home because I missed the ship for some reason, so I not only have a passport, but I take with we me when going ashore. It doesn't do me any good locked in my safe.

I know this is an over simplification, but you just cannot go wrong with a passport.

Sure, you can make sure you have the correct documents, but what is "correct" has changed over the past few years, and might very well change without you knowing. There is obviously confusion with some people. Yet, having a simple, single document, the passport, solves all those problems.

To me, "I don't need one" could very soon turn to "Shoot, I didn't know I needed one". Why risk it? You simply cannot go wrong with a passport.

Quoting Dr. Phil (haha.. I almost NEVER do that, believe me), the non-passport people seem to be right-fighters. Technically, they are right, but the other side of the arguement is so simple, why make it an issue to begin with?

Of course, she could have gotten one in a couple of days with the expedited service, so I'm not sure I agree that that's a compelling reason to get a passport.

It's not that simple - if OP had paid attention to the required documents, she & her family would be onboard right now. I always check the TSA website before I fly to make sure they haven't changed the 3-1-1 bag rules since the last time I flew; it's prudent to make sure that you're still up to date on what's required.

I have a passport, and even thought of bringing it with me on a land trip to Hawaii just in case our flight was cancelled and we had to come home via Vancouver or somewhere in Mexico. Then I decided that I'd rather be stranded for a few days waiting for a direct flight to clear.:D Now, I wouldn't want to be stuck in a foreign port trying to get the proper documentation to get home because I missed the ship for some reason, so I not only have a passport, but I take with we me when going ashore. It doesn't do me any good locked in my safe.

I stand behind my statement. It is that simple (referring to boarding documents and embarkation for a cruise). What happens after you successfully leave the country ... (getting stranded in paradise) is another situation altogether, lol. ;)

I know this is an over simplification, but you just cannot go wrong with a passport.

Sure, you can make sure you have the correct documents, but what is "correct" has changed over the past few years, and might very well change without you knowing. There is obviously confusion with some people. Yet, having a simple, single document, the passport, solves all those problems.

To me, "I don't need one" could very soon turn to "Shoot, I didn't know I needed one". Why risk it? You simply cannot go wrong with a passport.

Quoting Dr. Phil (haha.. I almost NEVER do that, believe me), the non-passport people seem to be right-fighters. Technically, they are right, but the other side of the arguement is so simple, why make it an issue to begin with?

Now Todd, do you go and bring logic into this discussion. :D:D

So what's the big deal about getting a passport, it's very simple? I don't see why some people are fighting this. Obviously if someone is traveling even if it's just on a cruise with the chance of having to fly back to the U.S. from a foreign port, there wouldn't be a problem with a passport. No one can predict what will happen in the future, but I have known many people on my past cruises where someone in their family died and they had to fly back from the next port. It's much easier in the time of need than a Birth Certificate.

You and I would get along very well. :D

I would rather be proven right and waving from the ship versus waving from the shore then proven right. :D

It's that simple.

I happen to agree with you but there are always those who say they don't need a passport for a closed-loop cruise, that that's all they will ever go on, and they do not want to give the Government money they don't have to. Ah well.

I don't see why some people are fighting this. .

Some say its government intrusion at its best.

Some say Passports are "too expensive".

Some say they will not ever get something that is NOT required.

The list (or excuses maybe?) goes on and on and on. I guess the bottom line is, until Homeland Security starts REQUIRING Passports for closed loop cruises, this will always be a heated debate on here.

As for me personally, I had never been out of the country before I took my first cruise. I automatically assumed that one was required for any cruise so I went and got one and paid the 100.00 not knowing if I would ever use it again. I just thought of it as a required expense for the trip.

I happen to agree with you but there are always those who say they don't need a passport for a closed-loop cruise, that that's all they will ever go on, and they do not want to give the Government money they don't have to. Ah well.

Maybe it is a republican vs democrat, tax and spend vs I'll decide how to spend my money argument.

For us years ago the decision was very simple. I watched the people with passports zip thru the line and then there was us with dl & BC standing there as the rep looked at each then at us. (then I knew why the line was so long and slow) Solution - get a passport. No ifs ands or buts. Now its like my Amex card " I wouldn't travel with out it!"

It's that simple.

;)

When did having a passport become a magic document that guarantees boarding. If I knew that, I'd might change my opinion. I thought you still had to worry about expiry dates. I thought you still had to worry about visas. I thought you still had to worry about anything else the cruise line requires. When did all that change???

Does it have to be my own passport to guarantee boarding, or can it be someone else's? Do I actually have to bring the passport, or is just owning it enough sufficient?

Ok, I gotta jump into this again, because my very simple mind gets frustrated with right-fighters.

If any of these happen to you, you are OK if you have a passport, but will have to jump through some frustrating hoops if you don't have one.

1. You get ill, and need to leave your cruise mid-way and fly home from a foreign country.

2. Your flights to/from your port are rerouted over foreign soil

3. I'm standing behind you in the check in line at the port, and the agent is struggling to determine if your docs are "correct". :D

4. You're abducted by aliens, but they drop you off here in Canada, and you have to fly back home to Kansas.

5. Travel document requirements are changed without you knowing. It's not like they will email you should they decide to make passports a requirement. "Oooooops" at the port will do you little good

When did having a passport become a magic document that guarantees boarding. If I knew that, I'd might change my opinion. I thought you still had to worry about expiry dates. I thought you still had to worry about visas. I thought you still had to worry about anything else the cruise line requires. When did all that change???

Does it have to be my own passport to guarantee boarding, or can it be someone else's? Do I actually have to bring the passport, or is just owning it enough sufficient?

Seriously? You seriously asked if you were ok bringing someone else's passport? Really? :eek:

I'm sure you really understand the point and intention of the word "guarantee" in this instance, no? Are you just being a right-fighter? :o

Those passports really are magic documents, aren't they? You cannot go wrong with one?? Cool.

Sure, you can make sure you have the correct documents, but what is "correct" has changed over the past few years, and might very well change without you knowing.
Passport rules never change? There's never any confusion with passports? I could' a sworn I'd see threads here from people not understanding what expiration date is acceptable.

Quoting Dr. Phil (haha.. I almost NEVER do that, believe me), the non-passport people seem to be right-fighters.

Here's how I see it. You have one group of people who tell everyone they absolutely should get a passport no matter what their family's circumstances. Often, they are so enthusiastic about the telling other people what to do that they exaggerate the benefits of a passport, and exaggerate the risks of not getting one. On the other side, you see a group of people who have studied the facts, and decided that for their family, getting passports isn't the right thing to do.

How would Dr Phil view such a discussion? Would he really come down on the side of the simple everyone-must-do-the-same-thing answer? Or would he see the validity of each family deciding for themselves based on their own facts and circumstances?

Seriously? You seriously asked if you were ok bringing someone else's passport? Really?

I'm sure you really understand the point and intention of the word "guarantee" in this instance, no?

Actually, I don't. The word guarantees has a pretty clear meaning. If the poster who said a passport guarantees boarding didn't mean that it guarantees boarding, what did they mean?

Are you just being a right-fighter?

People are posting factually incorrect information and exaggerations in order to convince other people to do something. What's the proper response? Gently correcting them? Confrontational argument? Sarcasm?

More than one person has commented that the cost of getting a passport is prohibitive. I don't get it... you can afford a cruise but you can't afford a passport? :confused: Or is it just stubbornness that's getting in the way? :rolleyes:

Documentation requirements change all the time and often with very little, if any, notice. I'm sure we'll read more and more cases of people being denied boarding by either an airline or ship. And I'm just as sure that we'll hear more people looking for sympathy on these boards.

Actually, I don't. The word guarantees has a pretty clear meaning. If the poster who said a passport guarantees boarding didn't mean that it guarantees boarding, what did they mean?

People are posting factually incorrect information and exaggerations in order to convince other people to do something. What's the proper response? Gently correcting them? Confrontational argument? Sarcasm?

Only because your responses completely complicate the meaning in my original post I will say this.

How much more sarcastic can you get?

Unless you really didn't understand the simple point I was making.... I was referring to specifically passport versus any other document to BOARD the ship at embarkation. Not using a passport issued to someone else or whatever reference to magic uses you intoned my post referred to passports being able to provide.

If you have additional trouble understanding what I just typed, please ask me directly and stop assuming you are speaking for the vast majority of people reading my posts.

I have never understood why intelligent people act like they don't understand simple statements just for the sake of arguing.

Edited to add the following clear statement:

Having a valid unexpired passport in you possession issued by your country's government agency that has your correct and legitimate information and it matches your cruising documents and you are standing at the correct cruise line terminal check-in for the correct cruise line, ship and sailing date if you present THAT passport that clearly belongs to you, I can guarantee you have the correct boarding document required to allow you to embark on the ship. If for some other reason you are not allowed on the ship, it WON'T be because you don't have the required travel documents. There, is that clear enough now?

You want to know when more people will get passports...when the cruise lines smarten up and make check in lines for passport holders and check in lines for "other docs" seperate and all those other people see how much faster the passport holders go through.

Or when there is some sort of terrorist threat or activity involving a cruise ship and Homeland Security steps up security and they put it on the news and on the website and CCL puts it on their website but you are already on the way to the cruise and didn't see it and you can't get on the ship because of the NEW rule that Homeland Security implemented...which you won't be able to fight...

I don't think it will be a matter of IF they ever make closed looped cruises from the US have a passport, it will be a matter of when. And then everyone will be complaining about that. Everyone can do what they want and have the docs they want to bring, just move out of my way at check in so I can get my DOD when your agent is taking 20 minutes to check you in and mine takes 3...

Passports are valid forms of ID even when not leaving the US. A few years ago my wallet was stolen 2 days before I was flying to California for vacation. I was able to get my credit cards cancelled and new ones sent via overnight mail so I had those ready. However, you can't get a new photo driver's license in Texas overnight. :( I went to the DPS office but they will only give you a paper DL and mail your photo DL later. :rolleyes: I could use the paper for driving but not to board a plane. Fortunately I had a passport and was able to use that for ID.

I actually bring my passport with me now, even when travelling within the US. I keep it locked in the hotel safe so I have a form of ID in case my DL ever gets stolen again.

You want to know when more people will get passports...when the cruise lines smarten up and make check in lines for passport holders and check in lines for "other docs" seperate and all those other people see how much faster the passport holders go through.

Or when there is some sort of terrorist threat or activity involving a cruise ship and Homeland Security steps up security and they put it on the news and on the website and CCL puts it on their website but you are already on the way to the cruise and didn't see it and you can't get on the ship because of the NEW rule that Homeland Security implemented...which you won't be able to fight...

I don't think it will be a matter of IF they ever make closed looped cruises from the US have a passport, it will be a matter of when. And then everyone will be complaining about that. Everyone can do what they want and have the docs they want to bring, just move out of my way at check in so I can get my DOD when your agent is taking 20 minutes to check you in and mine takes 3...

I will agree about our Govt and not making it mandatory for passports.

Lets look back at how many times the date has been changed. I lost count after 3 times it was changed. If they would of made it mandatory on the first date that was set, we would not be having these discussions.

Those with out passports are really playing a dangerous game and some day you will lose. Good luck!

Only because your responses completely complicate the meaning in my original post I will say this.

How much more sarcastic can you get?

Unless you really didn't understand the simple point I was making.... I was referring to specifically passport versus any other document to BOARD the ship at embarkation. Not using a passport issued to someone else or whatever reference to magic uses you intoned my post referred to passports being able to provide.

If you have additional trouble understanding what I just typed, please ask me directly and stop assuming you are speaking for the vast majority of people reading my posts.

I have never understood why intelligent people act like they don't understand simple statements just for the sake of arguing.

Edited to add the following clear statement:

Having a valid unexpired passport in you possession issued by your country's government agency that has your correct and legitimate information and it matches your cruising documents and you are standing at the correct cruise line terminal check-in for the correct cruise line, ship and sailing date if you present THAT passport that clearly belongs to you, I can guarantee you have the correct boarding document required to allow you to embark on the ship. If for some other reason you are not allowed on the ship, it WON'T be because you don't have the required travel documents. There, is that clear enough now?

I learned long ago, unless you have a legal team look at your posts before clicking "Submit Reply", there will ALWAYS be someone to prove you wrong, exaggerate what you said, make up things that you never said and tear your post up as much as they can in order to make themselves feel better and smarter. Your edited post to "clear" things up really made me laugh though!:D:D

Sometimes there is no such thing as intelligent conversations on this site. NOTE: I really don't care what other people decide to do regarding obtaining a passport or not, it's their choice. All I care about is what I decide to do, I have had a passport for 11 years now.

Archived