Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

I know this is an old post but I just stumbled in - loved your Tanzania pictures! My husband was in the Selous in 1988 and we were in Botswana in 2010. After seeing your pics we want to go back. Here is a link to some of our Botswana pics:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=EAA3DB2F5F32DB6%21132&cid=0EAA3DB2F5F32DB6&group=0

Thanks for the nice comment on our photos. It was such a great trip! I loved looking at your photos too. Selous in the late 80's must have been really nice! We loved it too but, actually think we may have liked Ruaha a little better. It had a really wild feel to it. Selous we loved for the river and the surrounding wildlife it held. The sunsets were also so beautiful. Makes me wish we were going back.

You are welcome to join in anytime in our conversation here.

Selous we loved for the river and the surrounding wildlife it held. The sunsets were also so beautiful. Makes me wish we were going back.

You are welcome to join in anytime in our conversation here.

We've just been digitizing some of DW's old slides......here are a few from Tanzania in January 1988.......(Not as clear and well composed as yours, I'm afraid).

Zambia is on our African bucket list......hope we make it there!

http://1drv.ms/1DMBcNG

Edited by CrossBluePerchance

We've just been digitizing some of DW's old slides......here are a few from Tanzania in January 1988.......(Not as clear and well composed as yours, I'm afraid).

Zambia is on our African bucket list......hope we make it there!

http://1drv.ms/1DMBcNG

Loved seeing your photos of 80's Tanzania! Thanks for sharing.

If you get to Zambia, I would love to see photos :)

Kim, it's a nice beach, very clean. I like that they only take 100 people

We were just there in March and had a lovely day. We like to get away from the hordes as well. We took inflatable noodles and enjoyed bobbing in the water for a long time. We thought the food was very good, too.

We were just there in March and had a lovely day. We like to get away from the hordes as well. We took inflatable noodles and enjoyed bobbing in the water for a long time. We thought the food was very good, too.

Their grilled grouper was amazing, we saw them bring it in off a boat, DH said, ok that's fresh! We're planning on paddleboarding & noodling.

Hey Debbie...

What do you think of this gray? They call it green:

Could it be the elusive FIRE gray?!?

I had a FIRE gray pair of dress slacks when my journey began so long ago, and I kept them when they became too big so I had a point of reference. Yep, they were pitched in the church clothing ministry basket during a massive closet purge and are now gone forever. So, I have/had a reference, but am now on the hunt for this gray. Even as difficult as it would be, I'd like to make FIRE gray my dark neutral. It will take much time and patience, but it should cut down on my purchasing if I am searching for something this specific.

I looked at this last night on my phone, Anita, and wasn't sure. After looking this morning on the desktop monitor, I am SOOO excited. I think it might actually be the elusive FIRE gray. I remember CJW saying to scoop up anything that we found, because it truly is elusive. So, I'm off to see if I might do a little cyber-shopping. If it's wrong, it will definitely make my face gray. Not a good look for us FIRE ladies, right Pam?

OUCH, Anita. I didn't notice the T-shirt cost a little more than $70.00. I didn't catch that the price was listed in pounds! I want elusive FIRE gray, but my frugality (cheap) just won't let me buy a T-shirt that pricey. I'll keep looking, but thanks for thinking of me. I'll look for the mint lichen color and see what pops up.

Edited by aoknkentucky
Additional info

Hi, FIRE Ladies!

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/search.do?searchText=saffron+red

After seeing Kim's fabulous scrunch swim dress, I roared over to Athleta to take a long, long look at the possibilities. As I explained (unfortunately), I think Kim has a scrunch dress from last season as Athleta has changed quite a few features of Kim's great dress… the neckline has been changed to a scoop and the scrunch only occurs on one side.

BUT, I was persuaded (by my own thought processes) that the newer version of the swim dress would still work functionally AND that the Saffron Red would be an acceptable color because Anita has it in a rash guard and I thought that maybe the color was one of those borderline, transitional color options.

HOWEVER, this particular swimsuit fabric must take color a bit differently. The Saffron Red in the Scrunch Swim Dress is CLEAR! OMG. It's a great, great FIRE color. As a control test, I put it up against DH's ice red shirts, and they made the dress look almost a deep orange. WooHoo!

So, if any of you ladies need some swimwear type items, take a quick look over at Athleta. I put the link up so it would be easier. As you can tell from scanning through the selections, the Saffron Red appears more or less clear depending upon the fabric, I would guess. Anita's rash guard is the Pacifica UPF Top 2, and I think that is definitely INTENSE. Her rash guard doesn't overwhelm her, at all. But this Scrunch Swim Dress would!

Just thought I'd do a quick share.

It's really difficult to find appropriate tops for the Panama Canal. I found a list of the top 5 fabrics NOT to bring to Panama. Of course, all those fabrics (polyester, rayon, viscose…) are ones that pick up color in a clear, bright fashion. Margaret suggested linen. Such a good choice for her EARTHy self, but not a good choice for me. I don't think I'd ever be able to find a clear color in a linen fabric choice.

Plugging away over here…..

Hi

Just wondering what 5 fabrics to avoid as I am going to China in September and it will be hot and humid?

Living in BC, West Coast Canada I wear polyester, cotton blends tops, pure cotton but don't like linen because of the wrinkling aspect.

Any one who can help me, maybe ladies who live in hot, humid climates?

Hi, Carol! As an ICE, you have the same situation in trying to find those nice, clear colors in fabrics that are good for hot and humid. BUT, you have a big plus in that you can wear white, you lucky lady! You'll be able to find some really nice comfortable whites that would be just perfect for your China vacation, IMO. I think you could probably get away with some white linen palazzo type pants. Does anything like that fit into your fashion style?

The fabrics that I read should be avoided are the (of course) synthetic heat-trapper ones: viscose/rayon, silk (obvious), polyester, polyester blend, and nylon. Fabrics that are suggested are the natural ones: linen, cotton, and those technical wicking fabrics.

Styles that were suggested were anything that has a flow, like wider leg pants, sheath type dresses without constriction at the waist, anything that has a natural type of venting action within its construction, like strappy backs, etc.

As far as shoes are concerned, the recommendation is for (of course) sandals as much as possible and if closed toe shoes are needed, try to find them in canvas.

That's about as far as I've gotten with some hints, tips, and techniques for hot, humid clothing selections.

China? Wow. I'd LOVE to see a pictodiary trip from you! Taking us all to China would be a fabulous adventure.

Melody, the only problem with using the rash guard as a top is that I'd have to come up with some sort of bra. I guess I could buy a bikini top? I'd just need something that would allow for modesty as rash guards, by nature, are kind of form fitting. Any suggestions?

I did buy bikini bottoms to wear with the Swim Scrunch Dress. Then, I realized that I needed a different bra with that as well so I ordered a bikini top. I'm not worried about how it looks on me as a bikini because those days are way, way in my rearview mirror. I just want it as a bra/underwear substitute.

We lived in Okinawa for 3 years & all the locals wear silk, all the time, can't be that hot. I really like the Columbia SPF50 shirts & capris. They're cool & easily washed in a bathroom sink, being a technical material they dry quickly. Also Tek Gear from Kohls is amazing (& all on sale for end of season.

Pam on the rash guard I bought a size larger just so I didn't need to worry about close fitting & I could wear it as a top

Ladies...the saffron red pacifica rash guard is a tone on tone patterned fabric with the saffron red of the solids in the background and a darker more muted color forming a kind of feathered look. That's why I think that patterned fabric can swing both ways.

For sure that solid red may be too much for Earth.

Mom, just wear a sports bra under the rash guard. Like one of those inexpensive C9 ones from Target that are all colorful and "made to be seen."

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Just a note here about saffron red: the wick it coverup is a great earth item. There is a one piece bra sized swimsuit that is in this group and the color is much, much stronger. I decided to keep it, but it is really a fire color.

The sales items have been going very quickly, so if you like what you see, I'd grab it. Happy shopping!

Thanks for the ideas, ladies!

I read the Vivienne Files so am trying her 4x4 strategy

Hope to use black and beige ( khaki?) as the bottom colours

Then black and white cool tops ie breathable fabrics

Plus a colour maybe turquoise in a wicking fabric top

I am trying to pack cotton and technical fabric tops

Maybe one loose cotton dress

My trip is 16 days long involving a short Yangtze cruise too ( will be going ashore each day to see stuff so will probably wear capris and a cool top plus comfy sandals

A hat, sunglasses, light hoodie more for sun protection

Ideas appreciated!:)

A new'ish top that I found. I don't wear it much because it is a longer top and I don't know what to wear with it! I have some skinny jeans that I found at Goodwill. I'm not sure how I feel about myself in skinny jeans??? They are a really dark blue wash with gold stitching and a gold zipper. Not as FIREy as I would like but.....

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv372%3A5%3Enu%3D4694%3E972%3E334%3EWSNRCG%3D3275f73203%3Bgi%2F7g4h0c%3A75%2Fd%3Ai4hf%3C%3A%3C27dot1lsi

The top has a really beautiful design to it. It doesn't photograph as clearly as it looks. I love the colors in it too. It's on a creamy background and the colors and design just really make it stand out. Just thought I would share :)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35233%3Enu%3D3836%3E988%3E%3A39%3E2927988%3B2%3A25%3Aot1lsi

Ooooh-weeee! Kim. I love that tunic. Love me some purple. It's still very hard for me to get the FIRE purple. If it's purple, I want it. Not always good for me.

My buddy Donna wears longer tops like that with leggings. I've bought leggings, but my tops look more like long sweaters instead of tunics or short dresses like yours, so the look is off. I think skinny jeans or leggings are perfect with your top.

P.S. Wasn't sure if I ever said, but I love that border on your walls.

Kim, that's a great tunic!

They are coming out, more and more, with some really vibrant colors in skinny leggings, jeggings, capris… I bet you'll find something that will go perfect with the colors available to you in the tunic. I think the idea is just to keep the bottom silhouette as "skinny" as possible to offset the fullness of the tunic style. That tunic would look fabulous on a Panama Canal cruise!… absolutely no envy, no envy whatsoever.

Debbie. So nice to hear from you. I've been flipping back and forth between this thread and the EARTH thread that sometimes I get myself confused about where I am! I'm glad that you didn't mind me posting your picture. You know what they say? It's easier to get forgiveness than permission…

Anita's recent posts are sure bringing back a lot of Curt memories, aren't they? It's hard to believe that I started out with Curt when he was a single guy. And now he's a husband and father of two girls! Remarkable, isn't it? That's how long we've been talking with each other! Through a wedding and two births! Imagine. I do miss his voice.

Here's a funny. I told Anita that I thought maybe I'd regressed a bit because when I went into my closet and took a look it just didn't seem all that bright to me. OMG. The reason that's funny is that my closet is really bright, and I think my "idea" of bright has just changed. I'm always on the lookout for clear, bright warm colors. Sometimes, I admit… functionality takes precedence over optimum color choices. There are some times when I simply can't find that "perfect" color and I have to settle for "good enough." Same for you guys?

I may have located that "medium warm violet" color on our cards. I think I see some of that color in Kim's tunic. If it is, I'll let you guys know. I don't know anything about this brand; it's Classiques Entier (available at Nordstrom). The color's name is Purple Sparkle. We'll see… it might be going to Panama!

Pam, no worries. No permission OR forgiveness necessary. None. With everyone here and the Earth thread (I forget where I'm responding too) the spirit of everyone is so kind and supportive while being open and honest that I feel a part of a very unique group. So, done with that!

Curt was fixing supper the night we emailed back and forth. Learned later that was the night his firstborn arrived. I always wondered if that was the reason I was never asked to be a before/after. It was most certainly and definitely a stark difference. I forget sometimes how those wrong dark colors used to make me look. DH could see it. But I never tried anything nearly bright as FIRE colors. The best I remember, the best items I had were all ivory or light cream with khaki. I had to build my wardrobe from the ground up and made LOTS of bad purchases when we first started. I remember Curt giving us color names at Old Navy and I went the very next day to shop. It was sooo hard.

Yes, please let us know about the purple. As I just stated earlier, if it's purple, I want it. I've nearly stopped. Using anything purple, because it never seems right. I've begun buying "good enough" too at times. If the fit is perfect, it didn't come in any FIRE color at all. Or not in my size, or it isn't my style.

Kinda like the old joke about fast, cheap and good. Pick two, because you can't have all three. You can have good and cheap but it won't be fast. You can have good and fast, but it won't be cheap. You can have cheap and fast but it won't be good.

I don't want to pick two. I want it all. But I can't go neckked!!! Looking at my closet, there isn't a chance of that. LOL

Edited by aoknkentucky

Thanks everyone for the skinny jeans confirmation :) I'm not always sure as to when a style, even if one can pull it off, is for the younger set and not us old geezers. I like to think I don't look bad for my age of almost 58 but, sometimes as Pam said, we don't always see what's really looking at us in the mirror.

I think I might look for a good FIRE pair of skinny jeans now that I have all of your expert fashionista approvals :D

I do love that new top and the colors are really great FIRE colors and the design...I love it!

As everyone always comments, both the FIRE and EARTH gals are a good bunch. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Joby