Question re: 55+ discounts

elycelynne

The only way to know for sure is to ask the cruise line. I certainly don't know the answer but I would think that the sail date would determine the qualification since you might book a cruise over a year in advance to get early saver discounts and in that case you probably wouldn't get the over 55 discount (they won't give you both). You need to understand that discounts for being 55 or older are not across the board. The cruise lines are selective with the time of year, what ship and if it is an inside cabin, ocean view, balcony or suite. Most of the time it will be only one class of cabin and not all. The same goes for selective discounts based on where you live.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one cruise line...Princess or HAL, I think, that asks when booking online, whether someone in the cabin will be 55 at the time of sailing. So, I think it is the sail date. I have discovered Celebrity has wonderful discounts when their cruises aren't selling well. EM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not all cruiselines actually pay attention to your age for the senior discounts....we once got a 'senior" discount well before we were "entitled"....no one said a thing...the check-in clerks don't know what you paid, or why you paid it. They may question you if you look 20 and are claiming a "senior" discount, but if you look around your age...don't worry.

• 3 weeks later...
In order to be eligible for a 55+ discount, are you required to be that age at the time of booking, or do can you get the discount rate as long as you're 55 by your sailing date?

That happened to me, but I was asked at the time of booking if I would be 55 by the time I cruised. They also ask the date of your birth and if you are a past passanger that is a part of your record. However not every line has a senior discount and not every cruise date has the discount.

• 3 weeks later...
you can book the early saver with the senior discount . i booked a cruise for my mom that way . she currently has 280.00 in obc

I also got both discounts along with a military upgrade. My early saver was 386 it went down to 350 with a grade upgrade and 60 ship credit. It pays to watch every day for price drops and make sure you tell them that you are military they will ask for your DD214.

Happy cruising all

• 2 weeks later...
In order to be eligible for a 55+ discount, are you required to be that age at the time of booking, or do can you get the discount rate as long as you're 55 by your sailing date?

What cruise line give us a discount? We have never gotten a 55+ on Princess.

Thanks,

Hugh:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being semi-retired, with limited funds and often travelling solo, I have to watch for every discount available. Living in Florida helps cut the cost of getting to the departure port. I watch for limited time sales, ex military rates, free gratuities, on board credits, senior discounts, past guest fares or any other freebies to help manage costs. Though time consuming it does pay off, specially if you are flexible and not set on just one ship, date or itinerary.

• 1 month later...

To my understanding is that my husband is now 55 and I am 60. When I was 55 I could get the discount but my husband could not, cause he was 50. HE did not get that discount rate in his price for the other cruise, but I did cause I was over 55. Now if the cruise ship which ever one you go on, they may say that you can get the discount if you book the two of you then you may be able to do that. I was told no. I had to show proof for the 2nd party in the ship. but to be sure check the cruise ship. Hope this helps:D

We are sailing on Carnival. My husband is 61 and I am 46. He received the 55+ discount but it applies to both of us. If we had say a quad room ALL 4 would be under his discount.

I will be putting together a mother/daughter/daughter cruise for my sisters, nieces, great nieces in a few years. We are so scattered across the country some of the cousins have never met or have not seen each other in over 20 years. (It will take that long to get them all on board for the idea) We will total up to 28. Since I am the youngest of my sisters each cabin will be booked in their names since they are all over 55 already.:D

To my understanding is that my husband is now 55 and I am 60. When I was 55 I could get the discount but my husband could not, cause he was 50. HE did not get that discount rate in his price for the other cruise, but I did cause I was over 55. Now if the cruise ship which ever one you go on, they may say that you can get the discount if you book the two of you then you may be able to do that. I was told no. I had to show proof for the 2nd party in the ship. but to be sure check the cruise ship. Hope this helps:D

Carnival gives you the discount on all passengers in the cabin.

We are sailing on Carnival. My husband is 61 and I am 46. He received the 55+ discount but it applies to both of us. If we had say a quad room ALL 4 would be under his discount.

I will be putting together a mother/daughter/daughter cruise for my sisters, nieces, great nieces in a few years. We are so scattered across the country some of the cousins have never met or have not seen each other in over 20 years. (It will take that long to get them all on board for the idea) We will total up to 28. Since I am the youngest of my sisters each cabin will be booked in their names since they are all over 55 already.:D

This may cause you a problem. There will have to be at least one (1) person in each cabin who is 55 years or older. The senior discount - when available - is only for one (1) cabin. As an example, if there are three cabins booked under the senior discount and there is one person in each cabin who is 55 years or older, then each cabin/person is entitled to the discount. If there are three cabins booked, and only 1 person is a "senior", then only their cabin is discounted; the other 2 cabins will have to pay the regular rate. In other words, if you are booking cabins 2 in a room for your group of 28, at least 14 people will have to be over 55.

In addition, proof of age at the port is required for at least one (1) senior in the cabin. As others have said, you will have to pay the difference upon check in or be denied boarding. This is the way it is with Royal Caribbean, and it is quite clear on their website. Also, senior discounts are not available on all sailings, or even in all cabin categories.

This may cause you a problem. There will have to be at least one (1) person in each cabin who is 55 years or older. The senior discount - when available - is only for one (1) cabin. As an example, if there are three cabins booked under the senior discount and there is one person in each cabin who is 55 years or older, then each cabin/person is entitled to the discount. If there are three cabins booked, and only 1 person is a "senior", then only their cabin is discounted; the other 2 cabins will have to pay the regular rate. In other words, if you are booking cabins 2 in a room for your group of 28, at least 14 people will have to be over 55.

In addition, proof of age at the port is required for at least one (1) senior in the cabin. As others have said, you will have to pay the difference upon check in or be denied boarding. This is the way it is with Royal Caribbean, and it is quite clear on their website. Also, senior discounts are not available on all sailings, or even in all cabin categories.

Yes, I fully understand that. I am the youngest (47) in my family. 6 sisters and 3 brothers (my sister-in-laws as of right now 2 are over 55, the 3rd is a yr younger then me) with the oldest being 64. Now if the guys decided they don't want to be left out that will add the number of 55+ to be honest even if the guys decided they want in us gals still out number them, LOL:D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Royal sometimes has discounts for those 55+. It's a good deal if you can get it. :)

Royal OFTEN has discounts for 55+, also OFTEN has discounts for Florida residents, military, firefighter and police and they do ask for proof the first time its used, then its in your record.

Archived