Your best advice on touring Rome

dibbitz

Hi. We are a family of 7 spending 4 days post cruise in Rome. We already have our airfare and an apartment to rent, near Piazza Narvona. My question is..if you could give one piece of advice to us concerning a short stay in Rome...what would it be? Anything from tips on getting into tourist spots, things to avoid, places to eat,what to see, getting the most out of the Vatican, ways to make money go further......anyone? :)

Limited to one piece of advice, it would be to buy a copy of Rick Steves Rome guidebook. I felt that we were able to make the most of our 3 days in Rome with his info on sites, maps, and walking tours. (We also had ipods and used his free downloadable tours & maps of 5 sites in Rome ... excellent!...and also available for MP3 players.)

Although it will be obvious when you read my advice, let me first admit that I'm kind of a geek about planning and organizing.

One of the issues you need to work around is opening and closing times. Many sites close for several hours each afternoon, and many are closed one day each week. A key for maximizing your time is to know in advance what things are open when most others are closed, and build your days around them.

For example, the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine, Pantheon, Vatican museums, and Castel Sant'Angelo do not close in the afternoon, so you might consider fitting them in when everything else is closed (usually sometime between noon and 4 PM).

Check closing days (many museums are closed on Mondays, several churches have other closing days) so you don't miss out on something that is important to you.

Once I have all that down, I group things by location so I don't waste a lot of time backtracking (except when intended ... my newphew and I once spent a week in Rome trying to see everything in chronological order, lots of backtracking that time).

Take the time to wander around and just soak up the ambience. Get off the beaten path. If you get lost you won't be far from transit, taxis, or people who speak English.

And buy a good guide. We also found Rick Steve's guide to be excellent.

See, this is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you so much! Hopefully, others will share as well and others in my position will gain info from the posts on this thread.

I am a bit of an organizing geek myself, a list maker for sure. I have a friend that I met on our last Med cruise that was very organized and it made all the difference in Greece when she shared that info with us. So, I am a believer....which I guess is why I asked this question and started this thread.

I have heard that Rick Steve's book and ipod tour is very good so I will be sure to get that soon. And, thanks, Euro Cruiser.....A very good point about closing times...I had forgotten about the mid day closings so that will make a big difference with our planning....again thanks....

Oh, one more thing....my DH said he read "somewhere" that prices for visiting the Vatican are cheaper on Mondays...does this ring a bell for anyone? I have not found anything about this and he can't remember where he read it. I was thinking perhaps it is because some museums are closed on that day. I am not worried about saving a few dollars when we are going all the way to Rome but I am concerned if it means that certain areas we might want to see are closed on that day. Thanks much, L:)

Well, you have come to the right place.....lots of good info here !

I too will say remember to slow down. You can't see it all in a month let alone 4 days. Pick your "big" must sees and then perhaps you will have time for some of the lesser ones on your list too.

We always made sure to have a bit of breakfast, usually free at the hotels, but you will have a kitchen and can find wonderful things to take back and eat with your coffee in the morning. For lunch we never made a big deal out of them.....opting instead for a small hole-in-the-wall pizza place (personal pizza, drink and desert for 5 euros each!) Large sit down lunches can eat up your sightseeing time (no pun intended). BUT we did usually have a nice dinner. There are tons of places near Piazza Navonna, Pantheon etc. with outdoor seating. Perfect for soaking up Rome and people watching. We would always then stroll. Just like the locals. No plan, just go. The small roads (use that term lightly) were fascinating. Around one corner a cool fountain, another would be an amusing obelisk and so on. Stores, shops, old digs etc etc. Something new around each bend. Favorite part.

Drink lots of water. And don't spend any $$ on bottled water ! The fountains in Rome have wonderful drinking water. We bought one bottle and then reused it every day. Be sure you know the rules about standing, sitting outside and sitting inside restaurants.....one charge for each. And the bread is not free usually..... etc. etc.

Angel Tours has a FREE tour of the Pantheon at 7 pm each night. Check out their website for more info. We used them for our tours in Rome on our first trip. Did it all DIY after that.

I will probably think of more and will come back and add ....... hope this helps for now.

I'm going to give my two best tips. (Mary Anne gave my best tip which was to take time to soak up the ambiance.)

#1 If you plan to tour the Vatican Museums, purchase your tickets online in advance. You will need to select a date and time to be there, but you'll potentially save hours waiting in line.

#2 Have everyone throw their 3 coins over their shoulder into Trevi fountain to ensure a trip back to Rome. We were there last fall 4 nights extra after our cruise and we fell in love with Rome! We threw our coins in Trevi fountain and less than 6 months later we spent 2 weeks in Rome. It really works! We threw coins in again and now we're booked for another 9 days in Rome and then going to other parts of Italy.

thanks D4, I do believe in the coins ....my DH was in Rome over 50 years ago and he spoke so many times about what a beautiful city it is...then 2 years ago we stayed for a day or two post cruise...threw our coins and now we are going back, with the family ....so.....I think one of the things that makes it so wonderful is that it really is quite walkable, esp. if you are centrally located...

Now, off topic for a sec..Texancruiser, I see you know the Abacos, we stayed on Elbow Cay last Christmas...beautiful spot...small world etc.

Okay, everyone, please keep the tips coming...I am sure there are many who can benefit.....thanks, L

I am sorry but I cannot limit myself to one thing, but will try to be brief.

Buy the Roma pass for transport around town.

Use a guide for the Vatican, to avoid the extremely long lines.

Don't try to do everything in one trip.

If you want to go to the Borghese Gallery, book a reservation 30 days in advance (on-line).

Allow yourself time to take in the city with a long leisurely stroll. Walk along the river front, spend time at the Trevi fountain (morning and evening), find yourself at the top of the Spanish Steps at sunset for the most spectacular view of Rome. If you walk up Via Sistina from Via Tritone, you will find yourself at the top of the Spanish Steps, without the climb, if the steps are a problem for you. Enjoy a gelato and sit down and relax. Go to a grocery store, an open air market, spend time at Camp di Fiori (early morning), visit the fountains around Rome.

Most of all, research and organize your plans ahead of time - these boards are wonderful resources for this, but remember to leave yourself free time to relax and enjoy.

Buy the Roma pass for transport around town.

I don't mean to contradict this, but to build on the thought.

I would say decide what you want to do while in Rome, then consider whether the Roma Pass makes sense for you. If your primary interest in the pass is the transportation benefit, consider a straight transit pass. If you will be visiting several of the sites included in the pass, purchasing the Roma Pass probably makes more sense, financially.

Transit passes:

BIT: (€ 1,00) Good for 75 minutes

BIG: (€ 4,00) Good for one day

BTI: (€ 11,00) Three days

CIS: (€ 16,00) Seven days

Well, we think you have picked a great neighborhood for your stay (the Piazza Navona is one of our favorite spots in Rome). Certainly be careful and look at the prices of cafes/restaurants before you actually take a seat. This is especially true in the Piazza Navona where there are pretty major price differences between the wonderful outdoor cafes. You can walk 1 block away from the Piazza and find that the price of a drink or lunch is nearly half the price. You might also want to consider taking a day-trip out of Rome to Tivoli to see Tivoli Gardens and also Hadrian's Villa (this might be too ambitious for such a short visit). If you are unfamiliar with traveling in Europe you are going to find that sticking to a budget is anything but easy....particularly with the weakening dollar. You might want to spend some time on the appropriate forum of tripadvisor.com (and also look at their restaurant reviews) where you can get some specific information on where to eat (a major expense).

Hank

Now, off topic for a sec..Texancruiser, I see you know the Abacos, we stayed on Elbow Cay last Christmas...beautiful spot...small world etc.

Okay, everyone, please keep the tips coming...I am sure there are many who can benefit.....thanks, L

Funny you should pick up on that.......I normally don't post all the "upcoming" trips except for cruises...... but we love Abaco and this will be our 4th visit. Looking for a vacation home there.

Have everyone throw their 3 coins over their shoulder into Trevi fountain to ensure a trip back to Rome.

It only takes one coin to ensure the return to Rome. Most people think it is 3 coins because of the famous "three coins in the fountain", but those coins were thrown by 3 separate people. On the other hand if each coin will mean a return trip then I will be tossing a handful!

Hi. We are a family of 7 spending 4 days post cruise in Rome. We already have our airfare and an apartment to rent, near Piazza Narvona. My question is..if you could give one piece of advice to us concerning a short stay in Rome...what would it be? Anything from tips on getting into tourist spots, things to avoid, places to eat,what to see, getting the most out of the Vatican, ways to make money go further......anyone? :)

Get a good guide book. I like Rich Steves "Rome". You can order it online from Amazon and it will tell you everything you want to know.

Funny you should pick up on that.......I normally don't post all the "upcoming" trips except for cruises...... but we love Abaco and this will be our 4th visit. Looking for a vacation home there.

Hi. WE have been there many times over the past 20+ years. If you want to discuss some of the places we have stayed on Elbow Cay feel free to email us at jdownes2@cox.net....happy to pass on some info. L

I don't mean to contradict this, but to build on the thought.

I would say decide what you want to do while in Rome, then consider whether the Roma Pass makes sense for you. If your primary interest in the pass is the transportation benefit, consider a straight transit pass. If you will be visiting several of the sites included in the pass, purchasing the Roma Pass probably makes more sense, financially.

Transit passes:

BIT: (€ 1,00) Good for 75 minutes

BIG: (€ 4,00) Good for one day

BTI: (€ 11,00) Three days

CIS: (€ 16,00) Seven days

I agree with checking the costs of the Roma Pass before purchase, but remember that it can be used for museum sites (i.e., Colleseum, Borghese Gallery, etc.) We used ours for the Borgese Gallery, planned on the Colleseum but, due to illness had to pass this time.

Take the Scavi tour of the Vatican - it's a fascinating trip underneath the Vatican, through some ancient Roman viaducts and tombs.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html

Follow the instructions exactly - when we went last year, some on our roll call left out small bits of information and their applications were ignored.

Also, we booked a tour of Tivoli, a suburb of Rome, for a day. Hadrian's Villa and the Villa D'Este are located there, and are amazing sights. We used Fabrizio of La Dolce Vita tours, and he was terrific - he was only the driver, not a licensed guide who could go into the site with us, but he has tremendous knowledge of the town. And he brought us to a wonderful restaurant as well. I think the van for the day was 400 Euros, lunch was abotu 50 Euros a person (with wine). It was worth every penny, and there were only 4 of us. With 7 the pain is greatly lessened.

http://www.ladolcevitatours.com/home.htm

OK, that's two. I'll stop now....:p

Please share as much as you wish. I am printing it all out and sharing with the group. Those of you who have done the Scavi tour, did you feel closed in? I have heard that one who doesn't like close places should think twice. Any thoughts?

Please share as much as you wish. I am printing it all out and sharing with the group. Those of you who have done the Scavi tour, did you feel closed in? I have heard that one who doesn't like close places should think twice. Any thoughts?

It didn't feel as closed in as I thought it might (something I had concerns about before going). If someone has claustrophobia, it's not the place to be, but if they can handle being in an elevator, or going on a subway, I think they should be fine there. It's interesting, and it moves along fairly quickly, which helps keep your mind off of the space that you're in.

#1 If you plan to tour the Vatican Museums, purchase your tickets online in advance. You will need to select a date and time to be there, but you'll potentially save hours waiting in line.

Do you think it is necessary to pre purchase Vatican Museum tickets for a Saturday in November?

Thanks, Wendy

It didn't feel as closed in as I thought it might (something I had concerns about before going). If someone has claustrophobia, it's not the place to be, but if they can handle being in an elevator, or going on a subway, I think they should be fine there. It's interesting, and it moves along fairly quickly, which helps keep your mind off of the space that you're in.

Thanks for this....I will pass it on and see what else I can find out about it....I have heard it is quite interesting......

Also, I read in one of the guide books that it is possible to take the train to Tivoli and that area..has anyone done that or do I have my info confused? Any thoughts? thanks again, L:)

Archived