Meet and Greet "Bring a $5 Gift".....

sail7seas

I've been reading a few Roll Calls and on one they are asking CC'ers who will attend the M & G to bring a $5 gift to exchange. They really weren't clear about what sort of thing they are doing.

I've never heard this before and wonder what they mean. Bring a key chain that has your hometown written on it? :confused: Why would anyone want an item from someone else's home town .... a place they may have never even heard of.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

• Administrators

It's called a "gift exchange". An "icebreaker" for the party. I've participated in MANY of these and they are just plain, simple fun. It's not about what you get...but rather what you share....

Laura

Exactly Laura!! And thank you for the idea!!! (See I do read the sticky)

I've asked everyone on our Roll Call to bring a small under $5.00 to $10.00 souvenir to exchange at our M&G. We'd each bring one gift (per person attending) a souvenir from our city or state.

Why would anyone want something from somewhere they've never been?? Why not is my answer:)

As Laura states, it is an Ice Breaker and does help to keep the ideas and Roll Calls moving (most of the time:D)

Joanie

I've been reading a few Roll Calls and on one they are asking CC'ers who will attend the M & G to bring a $5 gift to exchange. They really weren't clear about what sort of thing they are doing.

I've never heard this before and wonder what they mean. Bring a key chain that has your hometown written on it? :confused: Why would anyone want an item from someone else's home town .... a place they may have never even heard of.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

You're not missing a thing, imho. "Why" is my question, too? Why is an ice breaker needed to begin with? We just never find it hard to start a conversation with other pax on our cruise. To each his own, but it would keep us from even considering going to the meet and greet.

We did one of these gift exchanges at a M & G a couple of years ago. The gifts were as varied as the people who brought them, and included things like books, candy, drink coasters and other types of inexpensive but fun stuff which was specific to the CC member's city or region.

Our limit was $10, and participation was voluntary. It was a great idea, and we'd gladly do it again.

To each his own, but it would keep us from even considering going to the meet and greet.
This 'gift exhange' was suggested by someone on our last cruise. It was met with a resounding NO by the other members of the Roll Call. I agree, to each their own, but not for us. We'd be skipping that M & G.

I have heard of it, but have not been to a M&G where it was done. I think it is a fun idea, and people could play along if they want.

I think there could be some really fun items...

If I were to take a souvenir from my "stomping grounds" it would likely be a jar of jam from Knott's Berry Farm, significant because I live in OC.

How about some sand from the Pacific Ocean?

Another thing we are known for in OC, is traffic on our 405 freeway. How could I package that? LOL

Anyway, I think it would be a fun and creative way to interact when you "meet and mingle."

I have a better idea now what they are planning. If they explained it in their thread, I missed it. Of course, it isn't about 'getting' but I was trying to imagine what to give. I didn't think in terms of book or coasters etc. Thanks for explaining.

Let people opt out of the gift exchange. A number of women at the meet and greet will get great pleasure out of the perfect $5 gift. All the men will be interested in anything else; the drinks, the snacks, and the other people. You do not need gimmicks to enjoy meeting people at a party. You do not need to lug even a small gift to your cruise and you sure don't need to lug back heaven knows what trinket from Bayonne. If you must have a gift exchange let cruisers opt out.

I've participated in several gift exchanges...they are fun..and sometimes you do get some special things...Once got a Southwest ball hat from a girl who worked for Southwest...my favorite airline...Still have the hat!

Also at our last M&G got a wonderful little book about a special area in the Pacific Northwest:) I know at this point in my life I am downsizing..getting rid of stuff...but it's still fun..and I really enjoy picking out something nice to give from my state:)

This was brought up on our current Roll Call. A couple of people were interested, but it was basically voted down by lack of response. Personally, it's just not for me. I guess I don't really "get it".

I feel the ice has been broken throughout the Roll Call and the gift is just not necessary to make people feel outgoing and friendly.

In fact, the reason I join the Roll Call to begin with is to break the ice. I'm very shy in new surroundings and the Roll Call offers a feeling of camaraderie before we cruise. I just don't see how a gift of any kind adds to that. I think if I wanted to do it at all I'd suggest we do it at the end with tokens from the cruise rather than bring state or country memorabilia onboard.:D

I really think it would be a pain in the rear end. If they did have one, I would probably bring a can of See's nuts. They are truly good, no peanuts. That way the person could consume them in their cabin, bring them to the next met and greet, or if they are out at the pool area they could snack on them and offer to friends.

I wouldn't want to get jam or jelly, it would be thrown in the trash or offered to someone else. The reason, I wouldn't consume it on the cruise, and the possibility of the jar breaking on the way home. Plus for those flying the added weight. I do love Knotts jellys and jams. When I lived near that area we used to go over and have lunch or dinner every once in a while.

You could bring a jar of smog...

;)

Hi bepsf,

That's funny! I was born in the Bay Area, so we visit your neck of the woods often.

Hey, you could bring fog!

I am hungry for some sourdough bread from Fisherman's Wharf!

If you think this idea is scary, go to a Disney Cruise Line message board, where the buzz is all about "Fish Extenders." :eek: I haven't been on a Disney cruise (yet), but from what I understand, FEs are like a Secret Santa where you bring gifts for the whole M&G group and run around the ship placing them in specially made thingies that everyone hangs on the fish hook outside the cabin door. (I have probably made it sound too simple.)

I am avoiding the roll call for that cruise so far so I don't get roped in to it. ;)

I was very touched when I arranged a Meet and Greet for about 80 people and someone bought me a gift for doing it. I honestly don't recall what it was, but I know I used it on the cruise. It was very much appreciated.

Now THAT is an idea I could get behind.

:)

I'm not one for trinket exchanges.

As others have said, the ice is broken long before the M&G!

I have been to a number of wonderful Roll Calls and have enjoyed the freedom to meet fellow cruisers. I have always made a point of thanking those who took the time to organize and make name tags and HAL for providing the treats.

On my last cruise we were given the option to bring a gift for the gift exchange....first time I had seen that done. I chose not to bring a gift. I would have preferred more time to meet people than sit and watch the awkward gift exchange. Just my feelings!

Karen

Archived