Saving wine purchased on-board

Aruba

I should know the answer to this question but am having a senior moment. When the two of us cruise and purchase a bottle of wine with dinner, we almost always finish it...but soon I will be sailing alone. If I purchase a bottle of wine with dinner and can't finish it, will Princess save it for me for another night?

I should know the answer to this question but am having a senior moment. When the two of us cruise and purchase a bottle of wine with dinner, we almost always finish it...but soon I will be sailing alone. If I purchase a bottle of wine with dinner and can't finish it, will Princess save it for me for another night?
Absolutely. Your waitstaff will take the bottle and mark it. They used to mark it with your cabin # but I don't know if they do that any more. No matter what, when you want wine the next night, your waitstaff will have it ready for you (if you have traditional dining.) If you have Anytime, just let them know you have a bottle.

When we were on the Star Clipper, a husband and wife (one liked white the other red wine) so they always brought their vac u vin on trips to keep the wine more fresh. What was really funny was the first night I look over and see this guy pumping something in his lap:eek:, and I started laughing and then everybody else started laughing. :D

They can also get it for you at lunch in the dining room, if you're eager to get an early start at polishing off the bottle.

We had tablemates who I thought ordered oddly on a different cruise line. He always ordered a half bottle of the Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages and polished it off. She always ordered one glass of white wine. I mentioned that they could save money by ordering a whole bottle and saving the rest for another night, but they kept on doing it they way they wanted to. I figured out that his practice ended up costing them around $100 for the 10 night cruise--unless, of course, he would have ended up drinking a large bottle each night by himself, in which case he saved a bundle.

Just be certain to get the ticket even if you start the wine at one of the specialty restaraunts. On the Emerald we didn't finish our wine at the Crown Grill and had the waiter save it for us. The next night at traditional dining I asked for it and after a short search they said they couldn't find it. The head waiter asked me if I maybe had finished it off and I said no. Then he said that people claim to have an open bottle when they really didn't and try to get a new bottle of wine for free. It was said at the table in front of 11 other people. :eek: We bought wine almost every night.

I was humiliated, but I went up to the Crown Grill, found Pedro and Robert (head waiter and waiter, both great) and within 3 minutes they found the bottle and delivered it to the dining room. I was furious, and went to the Captain's circle rep (who was fantastic) told my story and she arranged a reserved table in the Anytime dining at our time choice for the rest of the cruise. I will not cruise on the Emerald again because of the implication that I was either a drunk or a thief. I did do a comment card as well as talking to the Maitre D.

Just be certain to get the ticket even if you start the wine at one of the specialty restaraunts. On the Emerald we didn't finish our wine at the Crown Grill and had the waiter save it for us. The next night at traditional dining I asked for it and after a short search they said they couldn't find it. The head waiter asked me if I maybe had finished it off and I said no. Then he said that people claim to have an open bottle when they really didn't and try to get a new bottle of wine for free. It was said at the table in front of 11 other people. :eek: We bought wine almost every night.

I was humiliated, but I went up to the Crown Grill, found Pedro and Robert (head waiter and waiter, both great) and within 3 minutes they found the bottle and delivered it to the dining room. I was furious, and went to the Captain's circle rep (who was fantastic) told my story and she arranged a reserved table in the Anytime dining at our time choice for the rest of the cruise. I will not cruise on the Emerald again because of the implication that I was either a drunk or a thief. I did do a comment card as well as talking to the Maitre D.

Sorry to hear this story...you would thiink the staff would have called to Crown Grill FOR YOU! I think they should have given you a free bottle of wine for that mess up>>>

I asked about how they do this, when I was on the Ultimate Ship Tour

on Emerald.

On Emerald, they have a lock-up for each place wine is consumed,

and then by cabin number.

So, if you subsequently provide where you last drank the wine, and

you cabin number, they will go to that place and retrieve your bottle.

This works well for anytime diners who might move between two

dining rooms.

And, I really mean a lock-up. The bar area in the galley looks

like a stainless steel jail cell, complete with bars.

Yes, but they have several different wine lockers and I identified where we had purchased the wine but they claimed that it wasn't there. They should have taked to Pablo or Robert before claiming that I didn't have a partial bottle left and implying I was either drunk or stealing. It left a VERY bad taste in my mouth and I have never been treated like that on over 50 cruises. There was no excuse for the treatment I received over a $30 bottle of wine. SO BE SURE TO GET THE BOTTLE TICKET.

We had never had a problem on about 6 different ships including Emerald! Even different cabin numbers etc. We always are anytime dining & several of us take turns buying the evening wine--don't always finish the bottle(s Never have been given a bottle ticket for our wine. Guess we have just lucked out -- they have used out # on our card to retrieve the bottle (s)--sometimes we have left over white or red or both!

Unfinished wine bottles are neither stored by cabin number nor are you given a ticket. They're stored by your folio or charge number, which is the four-digit number on your cruise card, where the cabin number used to be.

I don't finish a bottle of wine in one go by myself (not for want of trying!) and I've never had a problem with it being retrieved from wherever I last left it. If you had it stored from a bar or a speciality restaurant, obviously you want to let the waiter know that to save him some time looking in the wrong place, if it's true there is a different storage area for different bars.

Archived