? regarding New York port/transports etc.

Almost Packed

I am considering booking a cruise out of NYC in June. I would like general info. I am probably booking on Carnival if that matters. I don't know what port it leaves out of....I do not know if there are more than one ports the cruise ships leave out of. I am in the "research" phase of my trip planning. :p

DH & I are both airline employees. So we would be looking to fly in to the easiest airport logistically speaking to get to the pier...flying standby sometimes means having to fly in a day or so earlier than originally planned. Any suggestions on which airport? are there buses or will the subway get us there?

What about if we had to fly in to Connecticut or NJ? Is it easy to get around if we must fly to a nearby city?

Any help is appreciated.

LaGuardia would be the closest airport. Cab fare to the terminal is $30-35. No easy bus/subwasy access.

Newark and JFK would be alternative choices. Bus and Airtrain from Newark are $15/pp. Airtrain/subway from JFK is about $7.

If you fly in a day early, your major decision will be how much you want to spend on a hotel and where to stay. Manhattan hotels are expensive. For hotels at LGA we recommend bidding on a 3*+ hotel on Priceline or Hotwire. Newark airport has a larger pool of more reasonable hotels. Your choice of hotel will depend on whether you want to sightsee in Manhattan.

Don't know where you would fly into in CT other than Hartford, which is 2-2 1/2 hours from NY. White Plains and Islip would be other NY alternatives. You would probably have to take a cab to the nearest train station to get into NY. Philadelphia is actually an option because you can take the train from the airport to 30th St. and change to Amtrak or Septa/NJ Transit to get to NY.

Carnival leaves from Manhattan. As 138 stated, LaG is the closest, you need to take a bus and subway. If you can fly into JFK you can take the Airtrain to the Long Island Railroad into Manhattan. You can either stay at an airport hotel (check here first before booking) or hopefully you will get an airline employee deal at a Manhattan hotel. I have relatives and friends who are airline employees, and, as you know, it ain't like it used to be regarding flight benefits. I would monitor the flights you would need to take to make a decision. jmo

I don't know if this will help or not. I live in northern New England. My sister and I are taking the Amtrak from Albany to New York for our cruise next year. It's a 2 hour trip and takes us right to the heart of Manhattan. We will end up a ten to fifteen minute cab ride from the pier. The train isn't too expensive, either. About $40 each way. Have you thought of flying into Albany? I am just checking into hotels in the Albany area because we are driving in the day before but I know they certainly can't be as expensive as in NYC.

I don't know if this will help or not. I live in northern New England. My sister and I are taking the Amtrak from Albany to New York for our cruise next year. It's a 2 hour trip and takes us right to the heart of Manhattan. We will end up a ten to fifteen minute cab ride from the pier. The train isn't too expensive, either. About $40 each way. Have you thought of flying into Albany? I am just checking into hotels in the Albany area because we are driving in the day before but I know they certainly can't be as expensive as in NYC.

great idea, as we are flying in standby...and will fly in the night before. i want to have a plan A and plan B and possibly even plan C. lol..i don't want to miss my cruise! lol.

Between to different airlines (dh at one airline and I at another)I would hope we would make it. Sadly, the only trip that I was ever bumped from and had to wait over 24hrs was NY. lol..

I think the OP would be better of flying into Newark, and staying at a reasonably priced there, and taking a cab to the Port the next day (less than 1/2 hour), or taking a flight to any of the NYC area airports, getting a reasonably priced hotel just outside NYC in NJ, if they wanted to take public transportation into the city the day before to see the sights. The hotels in NJ can get the OP into the city via bus, train, or ferry, depending upon location.

Perhaps the OP can look at Newark, Secaucus, and Long Island City hotels, make cancellable reservations, and make the final decision at the last minute. Last minute car service is always an option (I think everyone on these forums plans much further ahead than most folks who use car services). If the OP is on a tight budget, there is always Airtrain from JFK to Port Authority and bus to Secaucus if they pick the right hotel. Airtrain or airport bus is an option from Newark for $15/pp. Cab to Long Island City and cab to the port is an option from LGA.

I also fly nonrev frequently. You probably need to look at 2 days ahead. Don't know what your airline is, but flights change and fill at the last minute. Depends on your hubs, and connections, some are definately more open than others. For example I have found, if I use Boston, I can route around the filled up hubs of our airline. I avoid PHX is possible. :)

You are aware of interline booking agents?? Have high priority loading? If your airline has Priority 1 perks, for a cruise, you may be wanting to use it.

I've been flying nonrev for almost 30 years, it has never been more difficult to get seats than it is now. I really think you need to look at more lead time. Priceline can be an excellent hotel option for NYC. Or if just looking for a bed, the airport locations are much cheaper than midtown Manhattan.

Going into Albany is a good option- BUT, I would definately not consider this the day of sailing. :)

I also fly nonrev frequently. You probably need to look at 2 days ahead. Don't know what your airline is, but flights change and fill at the last minute. Depends on your hubs, and connections, some are definately more open than others. For example I have found, if I use Boston, I can route around the filled up hubs of our airline. I avoid PHX is possible. :)

You are aware of interline booking agents?? Have high priority loading? If your airline has Priority 1 perks, for a cruise, you may be wanting to use it.

I've been flying nonrev for almost 30 years, it has never been more difficult to get seats than it is now. I really think you need to look at more lead time. Priceline can be an excellent hotel option for NYC. Or if just looking for a bed, the airport locations are much cheaper than midtown Manhattan.

Going into Albany is a good option- BUT, I would definately not consider this the day of sailing. :)

thanks budget queen. I am with WN and dh is with AA. We both have been to NYC before...and did the sightseeing thing before. So we really don't mind missing out. I have flown in to ISP before but none of the other airports.

Airtrain? Is that a train service from the airport? Sorry if that's a stupid ?

We just like to have a back up plan and even plan c. I think i will start searching for a couple of different hotels around different airports that allow me to cancel up to 24 hrs. We are just looking for a bed...as long at it is safe and clean.

I am sad to say, i have no idea about priority 1 perks. ???? what does this mean?

Airtrain is the subway or train to Manhattan - http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Perhaps Greatam will comment on hotels around LGA and JFK - I know he is not a big fan of them in general. There is more information available for Newark and Secaucus because the folks cruising out of Bayonne regularly stay in hotels there. Because of the Manhattan room rates folks have been looking more closely at Long Island City - there are several reasonable "chain" hotels there that sound a whole lot better than the hotels around LGA.

I agree about having a two day lead time and priceline or hotwire a room the day of.

I've been flying non rev for years and quite honestly I don't even both any longer with Vegas, NYC, and some other places due to it being a nightmare getting in and out.

How high is your priority on the list? Will you try for two seats on each airline? Personally I would would go single on each as two seats will be a pain.

When flights don't sell out, the airlines open those seats up for frequent flyer miles. I've never had a problem getting a FF mile seat last minute. Rarely do planes fly with empty seats any longer unless it is the first flight out of the day.

Good luck with this!

Airtrain is the subway or train to Manhattan - http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Perhaps Greatam will comment on hotels around LGA and JFK - I know he is not a big fan of them in general. There is more information available for Newark and Secaucus because the folks cruising out of Bayonne regularly stay in hotels there. Because of the Manhattan room rates folks have been looking more closely at Long Island City - there are several reasonable "chain" hotels there that sound a whole lot better than the hotels around LGA.

There are two 3 1/2 star hotels near LGA ( and near each other)...the Crowne Plaza and the the Marriott...much better to stay at an LGA hotel than near JFK.

(BTW isn't greatam a "she" or am I dreaming that up?)

There are two 3 1/2 star hotels near LGA ( and near each other)...the Crowne Plaza and the the Marriott...much better to stay at an LGA hotel than near JFK.

(BTW isn't greatam a "she" or am I dreaming that up?)

thanks for the info, i'll check that out...

called dh and he said forget flying in to JFK...not enough flights for us with his airline...he said LGA...both our co's fly in there...so I'll start searching LGA area hotels.

My bad greatam. I got confused and just couldn't remember if you or GTJ was Gina.

Almost Packed - sounds like a plan. If LGA doesn't work out and you go to Newark, you can always get a reasonable clean room there at the last minute.

thanks for the info, i'll check that out...

called dh and he said forget flying in to JFK...not enough flights for us with his airline...he said LGA...both our co's fly in there...so I'll start searching LGA area hotels.

The ONLY hotels I would stay at around LGA are the Crowne Plaza and Marriott (directly across the road from each other). The Marriott is on the airport side and you can actually walk to either from the airport over the parkway if you got stranded. Probably about 3/4-1 mile depending on which terminal.

Both have an airport shuttle. I personally stay in both hotels quite frequently (once a month at least and I was just at the Crowne last Saturday).

You can bid on Priceline-3.5 star-and you will ONLY get the Crowne or the Marriott. I have RARELY had to bid much more than 125.00. Very often-$100 or less. Last Saturday was $78.00 plus Priceline fees. I actually flew JetBlue from PHX to JFK and took a taxi to the Crowne.

It will be about $35-40 for a taxi to the NYC port.

Good luck getting a WN flight into LGA. Those few flights into LGA on WN are packed full. But as your DH states, there are A LOT of AA flights into LGA. Good luck.

I am sad to say, i have no idea about priority 1 perks. ???? what does this mean?

Some airlines , offer the use of a benefit number of priority one boardings- meaning you go to the top of the "list", depending on seniority.

Frankly, how much do you fly nonrev?? It is a benefit, to know routings in your head, that can be adapted at the last minute, being quick thinking can get you on flights, IF you know how to act fast. Always, start out very early in the morning, these flights have a number of no slow, over sleeper. With NY, you have to worry about cancelations and consoldations due to weather.

I agree, I wouldn't even consider WN flights, as they have full loads, and plenty of employees looking for the seats. Also you have no interline benefits, except with the AA?

Some airlines , offer the use of a benefit number of priority one boardings- meaning you go to the top of the "list", depending on seniority.

Frankly, how much do you fly nonrev?? It is a benefit, to know routings in your head, that can be adapted at the last minute, being quick thinking can get you on flights, IF you know how to act fast. Always, start out very early in the morning, these flights have a number of no slow, over sleeper. With NY, you have to worry about cancelations and consoldations due to weather.

I agree, I wouldn't even consider WN flights, as they have full loads, and plenty of employees looking for the seats. Also you have no interline benefits, except with the AA?

I am a w n employee...I understand how my non rev travel privelages work, and i can fly jumpseat too...i'm a pro at my airline non reving...lol.

dh works for the other aairline...but we usually just list as a D1 when we fly his...which is higher priority-he has two i think a year of that level. then the rest is D2. honestly i try to avoid other aairlines when i can and stay with mine...my personal preference. but when we have to, we fly on his.

dh has 20+ years with his company...but still, seniority does not figure in for him...i have almost 10 at mine.

I don't know of which airlines offer priority one....

Archived