Coffee Card - Limit to Current Voyage

MichTraveler

Even if you did not book through a TA who had this offer, there will be coupons in your cabin. However, these will be essentially worthless and certainly do not include the BOGO coffee card offer.

Yep, the nice 'coupons that double as coasters' coupon books that everyone onboard gets. ;) Totally different then the coupon book with the BOGO coffee coupon. :)

Princess actively promotes the fact that you can use the coffee cards on your next cruise if you still have punches left. They were doing so on our last cruise. I actually have three of the playing card style coffee cards, a Jack, Queen and a King. I had one and then had a two for one coupon so I could not pass it up. One coffee drinker would probably not use up 15 punches on a seven day cruise. My DW does not drink coffee but loves the green tea smoothies.

We purchased the first one originally on the Emerald Princess inaugural Trans-Atlantic cruise because of the Green Tea Smoothies that are on the Cardboard Coffee Specialty Menu. The Barista actually gave us a sample. Also purchased the cards because I love the brewed coffee instead of the syrup coffee. We have since used the cards for smoothies on the second Emerald Trans-Atlantic and the Crown Christmas cruise in 2009.

On the September Grand Princess Trans-Atlantic my DW got her first green tea smoothie with a punch on the card and then all of a sudden we were told smoothies were no longer included but had to be purchased. No big deal but a definite unannounced policy change. If DW wants one I have no qualms about using my cruise card.

The strange thing however, is that the Grand Princess was still running a Coffee Card advertisement on one of the ship's advertising TV channels stating that any thing on the Coffee Specialty Menu was included. Well, the smoothies are still on the lower right corner of the Coffee Specialty Menu and are not included any longer.

I found the maker of the Green Tea Smoothie mix that Princess uses and have ordered 2 quart bottles for $27 delivered. All that is in one is 4 oz. of the tea mix (many flavors) and ice and then blended to be a smoothie.

Let me get this straight. Are you telling me there is no place on the

ship to get free regular coffee? To get regular coffee you must buy

a coffee card like a soda card? We are doing the l4 day cruise on November 8.. We are first time cruisers with Princess. This is my l7th

cruise and a diamond member on Royal Caribbean. We have never pd.

for just regular coffee. Tell me it is not true. How about coffee at

dinner.

a coffee card like a soda card? We are doing the l4 day cruise on November 8.. We are first time cruisers with Princess. This is my l7th

dinner.

Regular coffee (from syrup) is free, and really not bad. The coffee card is for specialty coffees, e.g. lattes, cappuccinos. It can also be used for free fresh brewed (from grounds) regular coffee at a coffee bar as long as you have a punch left on your card, or pay $1.-. (At least that has been a fact on our last Princess cruise this spring.)

dinner.

You can get all the coffee you want 24 hours a day. However, that coffee is made from concentrated coffee syrup and hot water. To get the real thing, brewed coffee you have to buy a coffee card.

The coffee in Horizons, Caribe if the ship has one and the dining rooms all serve the syrup based coffee.

Some people like the syrup coffee O.K. But real coffee lovers, of which I am one go for the fresh brewed coffee.

To the best of my knowledge coffee on Royal Caribbean is also syrup based coffee.

Do you have it in writing, without reservation, signed by an

officer of the corporation?

WHAT? They do it on the ship when they are trying to sell the coffee cards.

I hope you intended to be cute and/or sarcastic which is not how it comes across. Unbelievable. :eek: :confused:

It seems you don't believe it.

You can get all the coffee you want 24 hours a day. However, that coffee is made from concentrated coffee syrup and hot water. To get the real thing, brewed coffee you have to buy a coffee card.

The coffee in Horizons, Caribe if the ship has one and the dining rooms all serve the syrup based coffee.

Some people like the syrup coffee O.K. But real coffee lovers, of which I am one go for the fresh brewed coffee.

To the best of my knowledge coffee on Royal Caribbean is also syrup based coffee.

Or you can buy brewed coffee by the cup at the International Cafe for $1 or so depending upon the size.

Depending on how much brewed coffee you may drink, the coffee card previously mentioned may be a better deal for you plus the specialty coffees.

I'm certainly no coffee expert & rarely drink any so others are more qualified to tell you about it. I found the non-brewed tolerable & the brewed to be a little strong although better that way so I can dillute it.

Now if they had 100% Kona, that's something I actually enjoy.

Or you can buy brewed coffee by the cup at the International Cafe for $1 or so depending upon the size.

Depending on how much brewed coffee you may drink, the coffee card previously mentioned may be a better deal for you plus the specialty coffees.

I'm certainly no coffee expert & rarely drink any so others are more qualified to tell you about it. I found the non-brewed tolerable & the brewed to be a little strong although better that way so I can dillute it.

Now if they had 100% Kona, that's something I actually enjoy.

Good point. I have used a lot of punches for cappuccinos. They actually had 100% Kona on the Emerald and Crown. I inquired about it and it used only for the expresso, cappuccino type of coffees but not the brewed. I was hoping! ;)

As an aside, a small or large expresso or cappuccino is only one punch. Brewed coffee is available in carry out cups, small and large.

Honestly, one of the reasons my card has half punches remaining

is that I didn't think the cold lattes and frapps were all that good; they

were too bitter as presented to me.

I read on CC that you could use the cards on another Princess cruise.

Since we were booked for 2 more cruises on same ship,

Crown, I just stuck it in with my passport for future use.

Now, I hear, "Maybe, maybe not.

Well, I have a 'workaround solution' as they say.

I like Starbucks bottled frapps etc. Cheap at Sam's.

They're great on ice.

The workaround: Bring three 12 packs of Starbucks next cruise.

If Princess doesn't let me finish my coffee card...I'll just be asking,

"More ice, please".

:D:D

PS. Bring an extra 12 pack of Starbucks for your cabin attendant.

Honestly, one of the reasons my card has half punches remaining

is that I didn't think the cold lattes and frapps were all that good; they

were too bitter as presented to me.

I read on CC that you could use the cards on another Princess cruise.

Since we were booked for 2 more cruises on same ship,

Crown, I just stuck it in with my passport for future use.

Now, I hear, "Maybe, maybe not.

Well, I have a 'workaround solution' as they say.

I like Starbucks bottled frapps etc. Cheap at Sam's.

They're great on ice.

The workaround: Bring three 12 packs of Starbucks next cruise.

If Princess doesn't let me finish my coffee card...I'll just be asking,

"More ice, please".

:D:D

PS. Bring an extra 12 pack of Starbucks for your cabin attendant.

I was on the Diamond from Whittier to Tinjin. The free coffee is the worst I have ever tasted anywhere. I brought along Starbucks VIA because of what I had read on these boards...Glad I did.

I had no problem using my coffee card with left over punches on another Princess ship. When I boarded the Golden Princess in 2009 they were offering 2 for 1 price cards. I basically had most of the second card available, which I used on the Caribbean Princess in 2010.

I had no problem using my coffee card with left over punches on another Princess ship. When I boarded the Golden Princess in 2009 they were offering 2 for 1 price cards. I basically had most of the second card available, which I used on the Caribbean Princess in 2010.

We have not had an issue in the past either however based on the responses it seems there are issues on some ships now.

Cannot understand this hype around the coffee card, it's so simple, to increase the cruise fares ~ 15-20$ and serve a real fresh brewed coffee, .... and all guests are satisfied and happy.........what could be better?? Who cares about the 15-20$ more????

I don't entirely disagree with you, but the major cruise lines have embraced a marketing strategy where more and more emphasis is placed on an "a' la carte" strategy. Everytime they can knock something off the "included" list, they lower the perceived pricepoint of the cruise vacation to the prospective passenger browsing the brochures. An example of this would be the soda or pop, at one time it was served free with your meal in the main dining room.

So while you may not mind an extra $15 or $20 for a guarantee of having brewed coffee available, you might object when they charge an extra $10 to have hard ice cream available, or an extra $10 added to your advertised cruise price in exchange for eliminating tipping in it's entirety.

Think about the brochure price on a new automobile. At first blush, it appears reasonable. But by the time I add in all those extras (cruise control, automatic transmission, electronic door locks, air conditioning, etc), it gets quite a bit more expensive. Had I seen that "true" pricepoint first, I might not have even considered that particular model. The automobile industry recognizes this fact, and so does the Cruise Industry.

I'd like to know the "real" price upfront and not be nickled & dimed later too, but my education and experience in marketing tells me it's not going to happen.

Just my opinion, nothing humble about it.:cool:

I'd like to know the "real" price upfront and not be nickled & dimed later too, but my education and experience in marketing tells me it's not going to happen.

Just my opinion, nothing humble about it.:cool:

I totally agree: they have to get you to look, first, and if the initial price is too high, well, you can't get hooked if they can't get you to look. Several vacation companies' brochures come to me that, although occasionally I peek inside, usually go straight to file 13. When I look at a truly all-inclusive price, my first reaction is, "I can't eat or drink that much! And if I could, I sure wouldn't want to."

Even though people will end up paying far more than the initial price that got them interested, it takes a reasonable price to get that interest. The lower the price, the more interest. And with all the cruise capacity now, there has got to be a lot of interest!

i was on the crown sept 14th and then the ruby oct 8th. used the same card no problem. on the crown they said if it was all used up i could still get regular coffees and hot chocolates free. on the ruby they said i needed to have one left to get the free coffee and hot chocolate. they had none in stock and gave up photostated copies that they said would be good on any ship waiting to see.

i was on the crown sept 14th and then the ruby oct 8th. used the same card no problem. on the crown they said if it was all used up i could still get regular coffees and hot chocolates free. on the ruby they said i needed to have one left to get the free coffee and hot chocolate. they had none in stock and gave up photostated copies that they said would be good on any ship waiting to see.

I hope the Crown gets more of the official coffee cards by this time I sail in December. The only time I have heard of people having trouble using their coffee card on a later voyage is when the ship makes up their own cards because they have run out of the original and start using photocopies.

Frankly I can see why a photocopy might be a problem on a later voyage, since what would stop people from going home with their coffee card and making up copies.

Frankly I can see why a photocopy might be a problem on a later voyage, since what would stop people from going home with their coffee card and making up copies.

Please don't give those who will do anything to save a buck any more ideas on how to beat the system. ;)

Who cares about the 15-20$ more????

Sorry.....it's my opinion

Bernie

The people who don't drink coffee, the people's children, who also don't drink coffee, and me, because I'm fine with the coffee extract...we would all care about the $15-20 more.

The people who don't drink coffee, the people's children, who also don't drink coffee, and me, because I'm fine with the coffee extract...we would all care about the $15-20 more.

We both love the Horizon court coffee, i much prefer it over the brewed......the coffee card is reasonable for those who don't like what is served........would be a waste for us.

Everyone drinks something. The people's children probably drink milk. Many who do not drink coffee drink tea.

Do you thnk people should pay extra for milk or hot tea?

A CC member posted a review of their cruise and said they had problems several times trying to use a coffee card purchased on a previous voyage. That thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1294702

I then checked the Princess website where the coffee card can be purchased in advance as a gift (or for yourself) and found this description: "Entitles the cardholder to 15 espresso-based specialty coffees, such as cappuccino, lattes, etc., during the course of the voyage"

Has anyone else had recent experiences with the coffee card being limited to the current sailing? Unlike the soda card which is unlimited per day, the coffee card is for a specific 15 beverages. I would think that would carry over to the next voyage if need be.

We had a waiter on a cruise two years ago try to tell us that our old coffee card wasn't good and I had to purchase a new one from that voyage. Since I knew better I called over a Head Waiter to inform our waiter of the correct facts. After that our waiter would wink every time he took the card as if he were doing me a personal favor. (I stopped drinking my normal after dinner cappuccino because it was so unpleasant)

Just relating the story so everyone knows this isn't a new situation. Not all staff knows the correct facts and the ones who don't know are sometimes the biggest blow hards.

Was on the Crown 9/27-10/7. We had two unfinished cards from a BOGO on a previous cruise. They are the plain printed cardstock type, not the playing card. On tis cruise, I got another (as half of a BOGO) which is the "Jack of Java".

Our drinking habits: Wakeup time I have fresh brew and DW has a cappuccino. At breakfast, DW drinks the syrupy mess in the HC, I don't do any coffee at all. If we lunch in the IC, I'll have another brew, and sometimes in the afternoon it's brew for me and a frappe for DW. I almost always used one of the older cards to order. Twice, I was asked where I got the "plain" card. When I answered, nothing was said and no request for payment for mt brewed was ever made.

Archived