Coffee Card - Limit to Current Voyage

MichTraveler

A CC member posted a review of their cruise and said they had problems several times trying to use a coffee card purchased on a previous voyage. That thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1294702

I then checked the Princess website where the coffee card can be purchased in advance as a gift (or for yourself) and found this description: "Entitles the cardholder to 15 espresso-based specialty coffees, such as cappuccino, lattes, etc., during the course of the voyage"

Has anyone else had recent experiences with the coffee card being limited to the current sailing? Unlike the soda card which is unlimited per day, the coffee card is for a specific 15 beverages. I would think that would carry over to the next voyage if need be.

It would appear that Princess is starting to treat the Coffee card like the soda sticker. To be used on the ship for which it was purchased.

With all of the posts on this Forum and others giving advice on how to use the card for fresh brew coffee , etc for ever, Princes may have finally noticed this practice and decided to put a stop to it.

Bob

It would appear that Princess is starting to treat the Coffee card like the soda sticker. To be used on the ship for which it was purchased.

With all of the posts on this Forum and others giving advice on how to use the card for fresh brew coffee , etc for ever, Princes may have finally noticed this practice and decided to put a stop to it.

Bob

Could happen but that hasn't been our experience within the past month.

We have used the same coffee card on the past three or four cruises with no problems (including last month on the Crown). I can't imagine that they would restrict it to one cruise only---I certainly couldn't drink that many specialty coffees on one cruise and therefore would never purchase the card.

Bob

Exactly, I'm sure Princess officials read the boards.

Bob

I couldn't blame Princess if they do go to "restricted to current voyage" with all the postings on here giving away partially used cards and coupons for bogo. However, if they do change the policy, I hope they'll consider reducing the amount of specialty coffees/price because the current 15 on a seven day voyage would be a bit excessive for some:eek:!

Bob

I agree, I can see this coming in the not so distant future, if not already being denied on some ships. I always thought it was a bit strange that you could purchase a coffee card on one sailing and continue to use it for years (and for some, years and years and years). I would guess this was not what Princess had in mind when they began selling them. And as with other offers onboard, usually when they are discussed so often on this board (as the coffee card is) on how to get around not purchasing one on each cruise, they change the rules. Stay tuned for the whining and complaining if this happens. ;)

IF you note that the op reporting that she had problems just returned from a cruise. Saying that you did not have a problem using it on your last several cruises has no bearing on whether or not they have just recently changed their policy. Will have to wait an see what others say in coming weeks

I agree, I can see this coming in the not so distant future, if not already being denied on some ships. I always thought it was a bit strange that you could purchase a coffee card on one sailing and continue to use it for years (and for some, years and years and years). I would guess this was not what Princess had in mind when they began selling them. And as with other offers onboard, usually when they are discussed so often on this board (as the coffee card is) on how to get around not purchasing one on each cruise, they change the rules. Stay tuned for the whining and complaining if this happens. ;)

Yup.....:):):)

Bob

Maybe they need 2 cards: one for a number of specialty beverages, and one for unlimited brewed on a single voyage similar to soda. I will not drink 15 beverages on a 7-day sailing, let alone 30 if I do BOGO. Perhaps just buying them one by one is the way to go for me.

Maybe they need 2 cards: one for a number of specialty beverages, and one for unlimited brewed on a single voyage similar to soda. I will not drink 15 beverages on a 7-day sailing, let alone 30 if I do BOGO. Perhaps just buying them one by one is the way to go for me.

It is sort of frustrating. We have a B2B coming up and we will also get coupon books. So we most likely will need to use both cards during the first week as opposed to being able to use it for the following week.

They really should make brewed coffee free (like it used to be), and save the coffee cards for the speciality coffee and let them honor them for as long as there are punches left....

They need to seperate the punches from the hot chocolate and brewed coffee.

I just checked my card with only one crown punched and it says "present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and yur server will punch a hole into one of the crowns". Nothing says it is only for the one ship. I bought this on a one day repositioning cruise so using all 15 specialty coffee seems ridiculous and impossible. They sold it to me and others. I will be upset if denied use on the Crown in December and will pursue it to the fullest extent.

If they want to change the rules then they must put it on the card as far as I am concerned.

A CC member posted a review of their cruise and said they had problems several times trying to use a coffee card purchased on a previous voyage.

If you read cruise critic enough, you'll notice that one post

doesn't necessarily a fact.

For instance, there have been posts from time-to-time that the spa

pool is only for sanctuary guests. Personally, I have never encountered this.

I do know that once in a while when a ship runs out of 'official' coffee

cards they have sold copies that are specific to the ship. People have

reported having problems using these 'cards' on subsequent voyages.

And, as other folks have pointed out -- so many people brag here

about how many cruises they have used the same card for fresh

brewed coffee -- that unless princess is stupid, they will change it

sooner or later.

At the end of September I was able to use my coffee card on the Golden from a previous sailing. The cruise before that was in June on the Sea Princess and that was also accepted there. Except for the free brewed coffee thing, I can't imagine why Princess would care if you used the card on several sailings. With the specialty coffee, one punch equals 1 coffee. Princess would not be losing any money, and it wouldn't matter if 1 or 2 people used the card, because 1 punch still equals 1 coffee.

I think I like the idea of separating the brewed coffee from the specialty somehow. I don't get brewed coffee at all, just specialty...if they limit the card to one sailing, I wouldn't purchase the card at all since I don't drink that many during one cruise. :D

I just checked my card with only one crown punched and it says "present this card when receiving your specialty coffee and yur server will punch a hole into one of the crowns". Nothing says it is only for the one ship. I bought this on a one day repositioning cruise so using all 15 specialty coffee seems ridiculous and impossible. They sold it to me and others. I will be upset if denied use on the Crown in December and will pursue it to the fullest extent.

If they want to change the rules then they must put it on the card as far as I am concerned.

I would guess that the cards purchased earlier will be able to be used for specialty coffees only until all of the punches are gone as they are now, but only for specialty coffees. Easy to rectify for re-using the card for brewed coffee over and over again, just use different colored or designed cards for each ship/sailing. As you reported, there is absolutely no wording to the fact that unlimited brewed coffee is a benefit of the coffee card. So, that would be one thing that the cruise line could change and still be within the limits of that coffee card sold on previous sailings. ;) The only change they would actually need to make is that the cards are only for specialty coffees, and brewed (although I agree with Coral should be complimentary to begin with as it used to be) would either be a different type of card, or charged for each time.

As said, 'we are our own worst enemy' with the way some brag about having cards many years old tattered and torn, but still being used for unlimited brewed coffee. ;)

Cannot understand this hype around the coffee card, it's so simple, to increase the cruise fares ~ 15-20$ and serve a real fresh brewed coffee,

for every, who want some at any time. No selling of the cards, nobody to control this cards by purchase, nobody has to walk to the front desk and buy such a card,

and all guests are satisfied and happy.........what could be better?? Who cares about the 15-20$ more????

Sorry.....it's my opinion

Bernie

Cannot understand this hype around the coffee card, it's so simple, to increase the cruise fares ~ 15-20$ and serve a real fresh brewed coffee,

for every, who want some at any time. No selling of the cards, nobody to control this cards by purchase, nobody has to walk to the front desk and buy such a card,

and all guests are satisfied and happy.........what could be better?? Who cares about the 15-20$ more????

Sorry.....it's my opinion

Bernie

I think the reasoning behind it is that not everyone wants to pay more for the coffee. Some people are not coffee drinkers at all, and would rather spend $20 on more drinks than on "free" coffee just like some people would rather pay the cover to eat at the specialty restaurants.

I purchased a coffee card last month on the CB. The barrista who sold the card to me specifically told me that I could use it on future Princess cruises if I didn't use all of the punches on the 7-night cruise. That's the only reason that I decided to buy the coffee card. I used only 7 punches for a few iced mochas and cappucinos and expected to use the rest of my free coffees on the Island in January.

While I'm not quite ready to accept a single comment from one cruise review, I will be disappointed if I'm not able to use the card again. If that's the case, this will have been the first and last time that I'll spring for a coffee card.

Chris

I think, the tea drinkers are in minority, most will enjoy their coffee....or does exists a "tea card"?

The fare increase must not be justified by princess, so often it de- or increases ,.......what the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve over

Bernie

... While I'm not quite ready to accept a single comment from one cruise review, I will be disappointed if I'm not able to use the card again. ...

I started this thread to see if this was a "single" comment or a trend. Haven't heard anyone else have a problem yet.

My guess is that if there is a change they will honor all existing punch cards. I am almost inclined to think that they may increase the cost of the punch card rather then make it time sensitive. There has to be many 1000's of punch cards sitting in peoples' dressers waiting for the next cruise that never comes or the card is disposed of shortly after the cruise. The specialty coffee biz has to be huge profit center for Princess.

Archived