Formal night is stressing me out!

jonesy111

Going on our first cruise in a few weeks and have been trying everything on in my closet this morning. Can I wear and pair of nice slacks with a nice top or is that not fancy enough?:confused: Do I need to go spend $150.00 on a dress to be "in the norm"? I don't want to look out of place and we are going with a group who already have been on cruises and have the nice outfits. Oh what to do!?

Going on our first cruise in a few weeks and have been trying everything on in my closet this morning. Can I wear and pair of nice slacks with a nice top or is that not fancy enough?:confused: Do I need to go spend $150.00 on a dress to be "in the norm"? I don't want to look out of place and we are going with a group who already have been on cruises and have the nice outfits. Oh what to do!?

You will not be out of place with a nice top and pair of slacks. Some people won't even dress up on formal night, you'll see the full range of style.

You may think that I am nuts, but I say go hit your local Goodwill and look at their evening gowns. You can get it for a fraction of the price and save some money. There are some beautiful items at Thrift stores. Be willing to take some time and dig.

You will see a lot of different dress for formal night. I have seen many in nice slacks, dressy top, high heels and always the BLING. If in doubt ask the others what they are wearing. A plain long black skirt with dressy top would also do, saw one last week at Marshalls for $25.00!! Just enjoy your first cruise.

I agree with the others--don't sweat it. slacks and a top are perfectly fine. That being said, if you are wanting to dress up more, I found some Incredible deals on misses dresses at Dillards last week. Not sure if you have one there--but formal gowns were 40% off of 70%. So, 200.00 dresses were around 40.00. Fun cocktail dresses were as low as 15.00 and 20.00. I love to cruises for the opportunity to wear cocktail dresses so I love these specials. When cruising in the past with my late DH, it would be funny to look at our formal pics. Me in a dressy dress. Him in khaki's, a polo shirt (and then a sport coat). He hated dressing up. Didn't bother me at all. I don't dress up because it's expected or whatever. I do it because I love to do it...and I don't notice what anyone around me is wearing. On that same note, I wear cocktail dresses on business casual nights too (including the first night). I'm sure I'm way overdressed. But, I don't really care, it's my vacation :) I'm trying to convince my boyfriend who's going on his first cruise next month with me to even bring pants along. He's like "I'll eat in WJ". I'm like "then you're eating alone cuz I'm dressing up and eating in the MDR." I'm sure my table mates will be perfect company for me :)

Enjoy your cruise and remember dinner is only one function during the night. Your dress is up to you and what you're comfortable with. I'm sure folks will say this or that, but I truly don't understand why people worry about what others are wearing. I can go to fine dining restaurants in town and have the same "mixed" clothing experiences and it doesn't cheapen my dining experience.

I always tell folks to wear what you might wear to a wedding

Enjoy your cruise and remember dinner is only one function during the night. Your dress is up to you and what you're comfortable with. I'm sure folks will say this or that, but I truly don't understand why people worry about what others are wearing. I can go to fine dining restaurants in town and have the same "mixed" clothing experiences and it doesn't cheapen my dining experience.

Well said!

It's nothing to stress about! I've found some really nice eveningwear on clearance....$20-40....check out your local dept. store clearance racks...you'll be surprised at what you might find! Ross or Marshalls or TJ Maxx also have deeply discounted eveningwear.

If you would wear something in the daytime, to a PTA meeting or grocery store, it's not "formal"!

Wear your nice slacks with pretty tops. If you have any tops with a little "bling" on them they will be perfect.

I have been cruising for many years and I've never spent much money on formal wear. I shop at the thrift stores. Most women wear an evening gown twice before everyone in their social set has seen it. They donate it to a charity thrift shop or put it in a consignment shop.

My next cruise is in January and I have two gowns, one is actually brand new, that I got at the Salvation Army for $5 and $10 respectively. Even with cleaning, the price can't be beat.

When I tire of them, I donate them back (and take my tax deduction).

The dress I'm wearing in the above photo is a black satin, princess line, full length gown. I paid $15 at the Salvation Army, got it cleaned and wore it on 3 cruises and to a new years eve fancy ball before I donated it back.

Cleaning closets today and I put my $5 full length black velvet gown in the bag to donate back.

A plain black dress with a pearl necklace, earrings and bracelet can go a long way. And you can buy pearls for as little as $20.00. Another trick is to buy plain black shoes, very cheap rhinestone clip-on earrings and use these rhinestone earrings to clip on your shoes and dress them up.

Here's a link that will show you what I am talking about -

http://www.absolutelyaudrey.com/

Not to start a rusty thread issue

but people wear everything on formal night

including blue jeans, all kinds of slacks, no coats,

boots, tennis shoes, and suits&ties and tuxes.

I have seen cowboy hats in formal dining rooms!!!

Feel good about what you are wearing and you will fit in and have a good time!!!!!!!.

I always wear black semi-dressy slacks and nice dressy tops. Sometimes I'll wear a solid color top with more "blingy" (costume) jewelry, other times I take dressy print tops that go well with the black slacks. As others already said, you'll see a full range of dress on formal night. As long as you make the effort to look very nice, it will be appreciated.

Thrift store? Well I guess there could be something there? Might try it.

If you want to wear a gown, you can get gowns and pretty cocktail dresses very cheap on Davids bridal dot com. Also if you have a store like Ross dress for less, thats a great resource too.

As someone else suggested, ask the folks who you are cruising with what they are wearing.

You do not need to spend alot of money :). There are always close outs at all the stores and I have been able to buy nice dresses for under $20.00 or check the consignment shops. I have nice black velvet pants that I mix with a couple blouses.

If you do not want to spend the money or what ever, do not worry about formal nights, just look a little nicer than usual. The next cruise and there will probably be one, LOL, then you can do what you think is best. Relax, cruises are for fun not to worry about dress codes and the Windjammer is not an option I would take no matter what, you spent the money for the cruise and the MDR, let the TUX wearers do there thing and you do yours.

Well said!

Thanks. It reminds me of being in High School in the 80's with our "wonderful" taste of style. You know....girls wearing boxer shorts over spandex and the like. My step mom absolutely would not let me out of the house telling me "how you dress is a direct reflection of how I parent". I remember thinking how crazy and lunatic she was. So, I would simply dress according to her standards (classics only, no fad type attire) and then put what I wanted to wear in my back pack and change at school.

I still don't agree with her statement to me; however I do know that many were raised that way. I do not believe in ever being concerned with others choose to wear. It may not be my style or how I would want to present myself, but I have no right to pass judgment. Those same people may not appreciate my dress either...

Archived