Five Star Mariner?

iceman93

To my knowledge, officially there is no such thing.

Some people refer to the President's Club level as 5-star, but I have never seen HAL refer to it that way.

President's Club is 1400 days of HAL sailing, and, I believe, a special invitation. There's no additional perks that go with membership. Or at least, if there are, it's a well-kept secret.

Kind of like a secret handshake? :confused:

Someone reported seeing something about the "perks" for 5-star Mariners at the Front Desk on a cruise shortly after the 'star' Mariner program started. There was really nothing extra. One of the posters here is a shore-side HAL employee. They've referred to 5-star Mariners. Like Ruth, I've seen nothing official about them though. They could be yet another CC misnomer.

I sat next to a president's club couple last cruise at the Mariners' lunch.

He confirmed that there are no real extra perks. He and his wife were wearing special gold pins that I had never seen before. They also told me that they had been invited to a premium wine tasting (not the Navigator package that us minus 4 stars get!!!).

They also can request special things on the ship (items not on the menu, special services) but NOTHING else really.

I guess HAL and Seattle should wake up!

They also can request special things on the ship (items not on the menu, ...

Everybody can request things not on the menu. We just have to give sufficient lead-time for it. If the ingredients are aboard, and it's not too exotic, it will be yours.

I've requested things the night before, and then been sorry I did, as there was so much of it! :o

There were a couple of guys that were "Presidents club" members, I think they said 1800 days plus.

I will say I saw staff fawning over them whenever I saw them. Maybe that's the perk? Oh, and they were seriously underdressed in the Pinnacle one evening when I dined there, with no suggestion that they put on long pants.:D

To my knowledge, officially there is no such thing.

Some people refer to the President's Club level as 5-star, but I have never seen HAL refer to it that way.

President's Club is 1400 days of HAL sailing, and, I believe, a special invitation. There's no additional perks that go with membership. Or at least, if there are, it's a well-kept secret.

Kind of like a secret handshake? :confused:

The 5 Sta Mariner level is an unpublished level, and is also the President's Club...You need 1,400 days AND the invitation. There are at last count, 26 members...and Chris and I are by far the youngest.

There were a couple of guys that were "Presidents club" members, I think they said 1800 days plus.

I will say I saw staff fawning over them whenever I saw them. Maybe that's the perk? Oh, and they were seriously underdressed in the Pinnacle one evening when I dined there, with no suggestion that they put on long pants.:D

"Those guys" were probably us. The staff doesn't fawn over us, they're our friends, they visit us at home, we visit some of them at home. And while we do sometimes go to Suite Lunch dressed in shorts (we sit in the back room then) we NEVER break dress code in the MDR or the Pineapple at dinner.

The 5 Sta Mariner level is an unpublished level, and is also the President's Club...You need 1,400 days AND the invitation. There are at last count, 26 members...and Chris and I are by far the youngest.

And you're 59, according to your profile. Four years of which (at least) you've spent on HAL ships! And judging by your list of upcoming cruises, you spend at least as much time on other lines. Pardon me if my jealousy is showing, but what a life!

iceman...and until late next month, this is so INDEED. I have spent most of my life at sea, starting as a 5 year old shiplover, already bilingual and typing letters to steamship companies asking for deck plans and brochures. I sailed in quite a few ships after that, had my first job - a summer job at age 14 - for a Greek steamship company/cruise line in NYC - sailed more (and of course went to school, ending with 5 courses past a Master's degree in history) and went to work in ships...Including the 14 ships I worked in and those I have sailed as a passengers, I have sailed in 103 different ships....104, 105 and 106 coming up...I have NO idea, ZERO, not a clue as to how many cruises, transAtlantic, transPacific voyages (crossings) I have made, it doesn't matter...And since the last 20 yrs or so I spend most of my time aboard and ashore writing scholarly histories of ships, American merchant ships of the past. Talk about an all encompassing passion and interest! Don't be jealous!

iceman...and until late next month, this is so INDEED. I have spent most of my life at sea, starting as a 5 year old shiplover, already bilingual and typing letters to steamship companies asking for deck plans and brochures. I sailed in quite a few ships after that, had my first job - a summer job at age 14 - for a Greek steamship company/cruise line in NYC - sailed more (and of course went to school, ending with 5 courses past a Master's degree in history) and went to work in ships...Including the 14 ships I worked in and those I have sailed as a passengers, I have sailed in 103 different ships....104, 105 and 106 coming up...I have NO idea, ZERO, not a clue as to how many cruises, transAtlantic, transPacific voyages (crossings) I have made, it doesn't matter...And since the last 20 yrs or so I spend most of my time aboard and ashore writing scholarly histories of ships, American merchant ships of the past. Talk about an all encompassing passion and interest! Don't be jealous!

WOW!! Good for you. How wonderful to choose a life you truly love.

Willem Ruys

Thanks for the brief bio -- fascinating!! Must be a nice to have such a passion and interest!

Do you know of a President's Club member by the name of Audrey Dryer?

Met her a few years ago. I think she had in the range of 4000 days on HAL. A lovely lady! I wonder if she is still sailing.

Thanks

Yes -- you need 1400 ACTUAL sailing days on HAL to become a 5 star member. We were told that points you get for spending or in Delux Suites DO NOT count.

We are not worried about getting to 1400 days.

We will not even get to 700 days -- so no more medals for us.

Too bad your CC post count can't equate into sea days!:D:cool:

"Those guys" were probably us. The staff doesn't fawn over us, they're our friends, they visit us at home, we visit some of them at home. And while we do sometimes go to Suite Lunch dressed in shorts (we sit in the back room then) we NEVER break dress code in the MDR or the Pineapple at dinner.

My apologies. I meant no offense toward you. I think I was hyper sensitive that cruise, as we had a multitude of problems with our cabin, with little resolution while we were on board, and my friend who is a platinum medal holder, (through some computer glitch) was listed as barely a Mariner... She tried unsuccessfully to resolve the discrepencies. She was miserable, and in turn made us miserable because she is used to "special treatment", which those officers/staff didn't give her. By the time we got off the ship she "was never sailing HAL again", although they have since resolved the problems, and she is Christmas cruising! I think those issues colored all my observations about that staff.

I would have actually loved to have had a chance to meet/talk with you, but because of the computer glitch, we weren't invited to anything! Oh well....

I can't imagine 700 days- much less 1400 or 4000.

Anyone know what the record is?

And William- just curious- what was the heaviest seas you have been in? And do you have a favorite port?

I have been in seas up to nearly 50 feet (NOT in a modern cruise ship) I have no single favorite port, rather, several - Genoa, Rio, Buenos Aires and HONOLULU!

Archived