Self Disembarking

lauren0309

The self disembarkation only works well for people who can move your own luggage without assistance. People with small children, have multiple pieces or have too much to carry should use the standard disembarkation. No porters or Princess staff will be there to help!

If you can do it yourself it works great if you do not mind a long walk off the ship. They usually have you assemble in one of lounges, then they release you based on the color ticket system.

We have seen it go really well and really bad for some folks.

Happy Cruising:D:D

The self disembarkation only works well for people who can move your own luggage without assistance. People with small children, have multiple pieces or have too much to carry should use the standard disembarkation. No porters or Princess staff will be there to help!

Also you must have one hand free if you will be using an escalator inside the terminal building. If not, you will be on a long line for the use of an elevator.

Passengers doing self-disembarkation are given a time and place to meet before disembarking. With more and more passengers choosing to do self-disembarkation, there is frequently more than one group of people so you may not be among the first to disembark. On my last few cruises, several "regular" groups disembarked between those doing self-disembarking. Self-disembarkation may not make any difference in timing for them.

One thing to be aware of is that if you struggle or have a problem handing your luggage and stuff, you will not receive any assistance. Ship's crew and port staff are not allowed to help you. Also, in most ports, someone will be at the top of the escalators barring anyone who they think can't handle their luggage on the escalator. It's a danger to others if your bag accidentally falls. You certainly wouldn't want to be hit by someone else's bag.

We have used express walk-offs successfully in the past for several cruises both here and at European ports. However, there were major system failures on our last two cruises, both of which terminated in FLL and which were disorganized mayhems. The first was the Emerald in early June. Probably due to a younger demographic, there were almost 800 people, plus their bags gathered in very tight areas in or around Michaelangelo's dining room. It was completely disorganized and no attention whatsoever was paid to which category you were in. There was only one young staff member standing in front of the elevators ineffectually trying to control the situation and unsuccessfully trying to steer people and their baggage into the waiting area. Tempers were frayed and it was totally preventable because forms had been submitted by all those opting for this program earlier in the cruise, so the staff should have been completely aware of the number of pax and should have staffed the area accordingly.

The latest took place a few weeks ago when we disembarked from the Grand's TA. Again, there was inadequate staffing and, once again, no attention was paid to passengers' walk-off categories. People and their bags blocked the way for others trying to get into the waiting area and the situation deteriorated to such a degree that two male passengers got into a physical altercation. There were approximately 350 pax who were waiting, and, again, Princess failed to live up to their usual high standards of passenger service by being unprepared for this. Seeing two grown men knocking each other to the floor and punching each other senseless was not a very pleasant way to end an otherwise wonderful cruise.

We've reported these incidents via the emailed questionnaire, and I'm hoping that Princess will respond to these issues as I'm sure our experience was not unique. This is something that could be prevented quite easily by assigning more staff to strategic places.

We did it on the Emerald in July and met in Michelangelo as well.

Ours went like clockwork, off the ship at 6:50 and at the gate by 7:30. ;)

How very cool! You must have had a more civilized group on your sailing. Way to go!:D

How very cool! You must have had a more civilized group on your sailing. Way to go!:D

I think it was probably because we were in the first 10 people to enter the DR. We were directed to the other side where they used the opposite doors to exit and the gangway was literally right outside the DR doors. ;)

I think it was probably because we were in the first 10 people to enter the DR. We were directed to the other side where they used the opposite doors to exit and the gangway was literally right outside the DR doors. ;)

I didn't want to make my original comments too long, but in fact, we were the third party to get to the dining room (there were two other couples ahead of us). We all gathered near the back exit of Michaelangelo where we were told we would be exiting. After lugging our bags to that location, a staff member came by and said that we should now go to the main entrance area of the dining room instead as they would not be opening those doors after all. So we moved again. That is where the mess took place because too many people were congregating at the dining room lobby area and nobody wanted to move inside the dining room itself. And nobody with any authority was assigned to oversee the passengers. Furthermore, not one time did any staff member request our express disembark cards indicating who was "A" or "B" etc. It was a waste of time even issuing these. Had this happened only once, I would have shrugged it off as a one-time glitch. The second time ceased to be terribly amusing.

We would like to stay on the ship as long as possible...anyone know what that time might be? Our flight out of Sydney doesn't leave until 3:30pm.:confused:

You will have to be out of your cabin by about 8am and off the ship 10am or so/

We've done it in Seattle and Fort Lauderdale without any problems. On our next cruise, however, I plan to take our time because our flight isn't until early afternoon. There's no need to rush like there was last time when we had an 11:00 flight.

When you are disembarking at Civitavecchia...does Princess assign a self disembarkation time based upon your private transfer time?

Some flights leave FCO prior to the 10:00 a.m. allowed for Princess transfers.

Thanks for the information!

Be aware that Princess only allows a set number of passengers to self-disembark, which makes stories of overcrowded messes all the more puzzling. Last time we waited till the day after we received the form to ask to self-disembark, and could no longer do so.

I'm quite sure there are lots of people who don't bother registering for self-disembarkation and just show up bags in tow; hence the chaos. I always thought the "old" way of getting off was a bit chaotic; I stand corrected and don't think I'll ever bother trying self-disembarkation! Of course, I would never travel with so little luggage anyways!

When you are disembarking at Civitavecchia...does Princess assign a self disembarkation time based upon your private transfer time?

Some flights leave FCO prior to the 10:00 a.m. allowed for Princess transfers.

Thanks for the information!

Most ships dock at Civi around 5AM and get cleared NLT 6 or 6:30. We have taken a flight out of Leonardo da Vinci as early as 10:30 and made the connection with no trouble after self-disembarkation. We did have a car and driver waiting for us. Not sure I'd want to try and catch anything much earlier. In theory, you can request an "A" disembarkation ticket which is, again in theory, the first group to depart the ship. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. I would check with the purser's office early on in the cruise and explain your situation and they will help you get off in time.

I'm quite sure there are lots of people who don't bother registering for self-disembarkation and just show up bags in tow; hence the chaos. I always thought the "old" way of getting off was a bit chaotic; I stand corrected and don't think I'll ever bother trying self-disembarkation! Of course, I would never travel with so little luggage anyways!
I've never done self-disembarkation and never plan to. It's not that I carry a lot of luggage, I don't, but rather, why go to the hassle when it might save you just a few minutes? I don't book flights that early and I don't want to put that stress on myself. There've been times when my flight time changed and I didn't have a choice but to take an earlier flight, and I've always done "regular" disembarkation without problems and made my flight with time to spare.

Archived