Might switch to Regent Seven Seas

KathyPet

We booked a 10 day Barcelona to Rome cruise for October 2011 in a PH 3 on the Nautica. Yes, I know there are cheaper alternatives than a PH but I just can't deal with something that small. Fare for two people inc air is $12598.00 Today I received a E Mail from Regent. In addition to all inclusive pricing (shore excursions included, wine and spirits included, gratuties included, air fare included) they are now offering a free pre cruise stay for one night in Barcelona which includes breakfast and transfers from airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the ship. We were already planning to fly in a day early anyway and get our own hotel. WHen I add up all the things I have to pay for on Oceania that are now included on Regent Regent becomes the better deal. I am calculating as follows. Fare for two people on Regent in a lowest level H cabin (301 sq ft inc balcony) is $15,600. Air fare included on both sailings. Transfers on Oceania =$376.00 Tips on Oceania =$370.00 in a PH, Shore excursions on Oceania $2300.00 for 2 people, Wine and spirits on Oceania for 10 days $600.00, 1 night in a good quality hotel in Barcelona $300.00 on Oceania. Total on Oceania $ including all the above is $16,500 vs $15,600 on Regent for all of the above..

Yes I know I can do shore excursions on my own but I am not going to. I prefer the comfort of knowing that the ship will wait if you are delayed on a ship sponsored excursion.

Any comments? Should I cancel Oceania and rebook on Regent???

It sounds like a good deal. My only comments are that the PH on Nautica, at 260 Sq Ft, is 8 Sq Ft bigger than Mariner, at 252 Sq Ft (the 301 Sq Ft figure you mentioned includes balcony), and the balcony on Nautica is 62 Sq Ft vs. 49 Sq Ft on Mariner. That's still pretty close for the price difference, but since I'm a geek, I hjave to note the differences.

The only other difference I see is the time of year -- May vs. October -- the weather would be about the same, maybe Spring on Mariner is preferable to Fall on Nautica, if the calendar difference doesn't affect you.

If space in the cabin meant as much to me as it does to you, I would choose Regent. Because I'm perfectly happy in a standard veranda cabin on Oceania (they're larger than my RV, where I plan to spend 4 months next year), I go for the cheaper price on O.

The service is the same, I personally think that O's food is slightly better but R is improving, and I would be tempted to pay the extra $999 per person for business class to Europe on Regent (I can't afford business class on my own).

One other thing -- it might be difficult to get an "H" on Mariner at this late date, and you might have to bump up, which would probably make Regent more expensive.

PHs on O are never a bargain compared to the luxury lines. Where O makes sense is for people who are willing to settle fro smaller accommodations in order to get great food and service.

Where it REALLY makes sense is for the OS and VS.

These are larger suites and balconies than you can get from any other premium or higher cruise line for the same cost.

For those of us who want this luxury and space with a second bathroom Oceania rules.:)

Having been on both. Regent's are much larger with a walk-in closet and the balconies are much larger. Both lines are excellent but the itinerary is what sells us. Both lines have ships just the right size. Not too big! Regent is really offering alot of bonus programs than they once did when we traveled with them. O sometimes throws in gratuities.

We are also considering Regent for a Scandinavia cruise. We really liked our Oceania cruise last summer, in a Concierge cabin, which was small but well laid out and very usable. The balcony was nice in the Mediterranean in summer. I suspect Scandinavia will be colder so we are not looking at a balcony cabin. I like the idea of included excursions and wine, which we will use. On the Oceania cruise, I spent months researching ports and trying to find private excursions. While we did only one ship tour, the private excursions were also expensive and some left a lot to be desired.

I was very happy with Oceania cuisine, especially in the Main Dining Room. So I'm a little concerned when someone mentions Regency being not as good. That's one of the reasons why we cruise. I wish Oceania was sending a smaller ship to Scandinavia since the Marina is just too large (passenger count) for our tastes.

We are also considering Regent for a Scandinavia cruise...I suspect Scandinavia will be colder so we are not looking at a balcony cabin...

I was very happy with Oceania cuisine, especially in the Main Dining Room. So I'm a little concerned when someone mentions Regency being not as good...

A very quick glance at the Northern European cruises on Regent indicates they are aboard Voyage, which is an all suite-all balcony ship, so if one of these is what you are considering, you won't have a choice of no balcony. Only Navigator has a few Ocean View Cabins without a balcony. There are no inside cabins on any of the Regent ships.

I wouldn't worry about the food on Regent. Provisioning is pretty much carried out by the same providers as on Oceania, and the chefs on Regent are first rate. The primary difference I saw was slightly fewer choices on Regent's main dining room menu -- a very slight difference in variety. There are some exceptional choices in Prime 7 (Regent's version of Polo), including American Wagyu beef and Berkshire pork.

Since purchased by Apollo and placed under the same management as Oceania in Prestige Cruise Holdings, the food policies that have driven Oceania to the top of the heap are being spread to Regent, and there is significant rotation of staff between the cruise lines.

I just heard from a friend on Regent who said their excursion in Ephesus consisted of a guide reading from a book. We had a fabulous guide for just the two of us for less per person than the large O tour group and saw the Terrace Houses as well. A few of her other included excursions were canceled and combined, leaving you perhaps with an excursion that isn't what you wanted to see and do. We enjoy the pre-cruise planning of deciding what to do on our own or finding a private guide to do exactly what we want. I realize not everyone does however. Not being big drinkers (a glass or two of wine each day) the included alcohol isn't worth it to us. And we have saved money by booking our own air on each of our two O cruises (taken the allowance back from O), but living near a busy international airport in Chicago obviously helped there.

Also, I can't imagine paying the exorbitant cost for ship transfers -- if you are afraid of a taxi for some reason, your hotel could arrange something for less. And the pre and post cruise hotel pricing is usually very high as well. If you aren't comfortable looking online yourself, any good TA can get something comparable for less. Maybe not the same property, but the same class.

Please check on the Regent thread and see what people are saying about the included shore excursions. From what I have heard there are problems with people booking multiple shore excursions (since they are free) and then other people have to waitlist and the entire process is apparently becoming a cattle call.

We are also considering Regent for a Scandinavia cruise. We really liked our Oceania cruise last summer, in a Concierge cabin, which was small but well laid out and very usable. The balcony was nice in the Mediterranean in summer. I suspect Scandinavia will be colder so we are not looking at a balcony cabin.

Don't assume that Scandinavia is cold in the summer time because it is not. Now, if you are way up north as we were in July/August, yes it can be cold. Not REALLY cold, like the high 40s and low 50s, and I did sit out on our balcony to read and shoot photos.

But when we were down south (Oslo, Stavanger, Hammerfest) it was quite balmy.

Whether you opt for Regent or O, I'm sure you'll love Scandinavia ... We sure did.

I read somewhere that Regent no longer has formal nights. That was my only objection to it. We had a wonderful cruise a few years ago, but we just totally enjoy the dress code on Oceania.

Joan

The dress code on Regent is now almost exactly the same as Oceania. with one exception -- because there were so many people on that cruise line who continue to want to dress up when others do, they name a couple of "formal optional" nights when those who need to be told what to wear can do so, and everyone else can continue to relax in elegant casual.

Please check on the Regent thread and see what people are saying about the included shore excursions. From what I have heard there are problems with people booking multiple shore excursions (since they are free) and then other people have to waitlist and the entire process is apparently becoming a cattle call.

It's not as bad as some make it sound. There are some members of the Regent "Old Guard" who resent the change in ownership and complain about every change, good or bad. The so-called "cattle call" is because excursion participants now gather in the theater for their bus or tender numbers. Personally, it's a lot more comfortable sitting in the theater than out in the hot sun (or cold) standing on the dock.

The comments about those who reserve excursions and then fail to show up, without turning in their tickets, is valid, and is indicative of a small minority of passengers with no consideration of their fellow guests. There are perhaps more of those boors on the expensive luxury line, but not enough to ruin the cruise.

Regarding the weather in the Baltic -- we were on Baltic Treasures this past July and it was 100 in St. Petersburg! Many other days were in the mid to high 70's and we used our balcony a lot. Especially with the exceptionally long daylight hours.

Thank you all for the helpful tips. It would appear if we booked on Regent, we get a balcony no matter what.

I was alarmed by the reports of 100 degree weather. I hate traveling in summer, hate the heat. Unfortunately, most of the cruise lines visit the Baltic capitols in summer, so that's something we'd have to consider before going. I mistakenly assumed that cruising on the Baltic would be colder and perhaps wetter than the Mediterranean, but commenters have noted this is an incorrect assumption.

I did happen to find a cruise line that exactly fits what I'm looking for, and Tauck uses that line for some of their ocean cruises: Compagnie du Ponant. Unfortunately, Tauck is sold out for 2011 on this ship. We can book direct so I'll have to do a comparison of booking direct vs. using Tauck.

I really, really don't want to have to find private shore excursions again. I don't want to have to become an expert on what to see and do in each port: that's what I'd expect the guide to know. Second, last summer, we arranged private excursions in all but 2 ports. Without sharing, the cost was prohibitive: i.e. 526 euro for a visit to Basque country from St. Jean de Luz. We were in 13 ports in 14 days and we want to spend as much time as possible in port. Perhaps it's different in Scandanavia, but I have found that private excursions and drivers in Italy, France, etc. are very expensive. So you try to find people to share, but then, as the tour arranger, you are acting as the complaint department when someone "can't hear," or "can't keep up with" the guides or the van is too hot or cold, not enough time/too much time for lunch breaks, don't like that food...all I want is a salad...The list just goes on and on. Then the ship altered it's arrival time and I had to make multiple calls from the ship to try to rearrange the excursions on the fly. I had to explain to all the participants what the changes were, refund $$$, listen to more complaints, etc. It really ruined a couple days of the cruise, due to the stress. I have discussed this with another cruiser on the same ship, who arranged about 6 shared excursions, and she had the same miseries. She actually ended up not speaking to a couple who she knew back at home after the first week, due to same issues. So if I find excursions we can afford for the two of us, OK. Sharing excursions: NO!

winegirl,

I understand everything you are saying about arranging/sharing tours.

Baltics are a little different from the Med (in general).

First, 100 degree temperatures in St. Petersburg happen once every 100 years or so - would not worry.

It can be quite warm in Copenhagen, etc but not like that; mostly it's just very nice and looooong days.

Larger cities (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, Tallin) are very easy to do yourself. In St. Pete you will need a guide or a ship's excursion anyway b/o visa issues, etc

It's not that bad; best of all - it's well worth it!

Good luck in your search.

I was alarmed by the reports of 100 degree weather. I hate traveling in summer, hate the heat. Unfortunately, most of the cruise lines visit the Baltic capitols in summer, so that's something we'd have to consider before going. I mistakenly assumed that cruising on the Baltic would be colder and perhaps wetter than the Mediterranean, but commenters have noted this is an incorrect assumption.

May & June are cooler in Scandinavia

As for sharing tours I have not really had a problem only once someone asked the guide to include more shopping...we vetoed that quick

If I arrange a tour I just make sure who ever joins in is clear on the itinerary.

May & June are cooler in Scandinavia

As for sharing tours I have not really had a problem only once someone asked the guide to include more shopping...we vetoed that quick

If I arrange a tour I just make sure who ever joins in is clear on the itinerary.

We had the opposite experience in Malta where the guide was asked by 100% of the group for NO SHOPPING. She, however, proceeded to take us to a group of shops with nothing surrounding them for us to walk to. We all stayed on the mini bus and voted not to tip her. Hope she learned from that and that you have a better experience asking for more shopping and get it.:)

We had the opposite experience in Malta where the guide was asked by 100% of the group for NO SHOPPING. She, however, proceeded to take us to a group of shops with nothing surrounding them for us to walk to. We all stayed on the mini bus and voted not to tip her. Hope she learned from that and that you have a better experience asking for more shopping and get it.:)

When I boooked the tour I asked for NO shopping someone it the group took the guide aside ans ask to shop

The rest of the group had been advised & were quite hapy to have NO shopping stop.

The person overstepped her boundaries with the the tour guide & the rest of us told them so.

If a guide took me to a shopping stop that I had not requested i would refused to get off as well

JMO but when you sign up for a private tour you should be clear what the tour is about before you commit.

At least ask the other members of the tour to include a stop for shopping or a specific site of interest

OK off my rant

Lyn

When I boooked the tour I asked for NO shopping someone it the group took the guide aside ans ask to shop

The rest of the group had been advised & were quite hapy to have NO shopping stop.

The person overstepped her boundaries with the the tour guide & the rest of us told them so.

If a guide took me to a shopping stop that I had not requested i would refused to get off as well

JMO but when you sign up for a private tour you should be clear what the tour is about before you commit.

At least ask the other members of the tour to include a stop for shopping or a specific site of interest

OK off my rant

Lyn

Lyn,

You are so right and we had laid out the tour In Writing prior to arrival.

She had the schedule which clearly indicated NO Shopping and everyone in the group had agreed.

Just a poor guide!

I'm going to add my 2 cents: We were on Regent in the Baltics in August 2009, and it was the first time we were on Regent with included excursions so we weren't sure what to expect. They were generally excellent, especially in St. Petersburg, and I think all but one or two had no supplements. In addition, we were able to book more than one excursion per day if scheduling allowed. We were on the 7-day itinerary and spent additional days at the two end ports--Copenhagen and Stockholm. Of course, we independently arranged the tours and hotels for those two cities, which was easy.

Subsequent to the Baltics, we were on the 30-day S. American cruise between Lima and Rio earlier this year. Again, we thought that the included excursions were generally excellent. Sometimes the ones without supplements were better than the ones with the relatively modest supplements. Could I have arranged as good or better excursions on my own? Perhaps--and, in fact, when we had previously booked Oceania's S. American cruise, I did just that, and it was considerable work. However, events changed our plans, we ended up canceling our Oceania cruise, and I was happy not to have to plan all the excursions over again.

this is the year i am doing both Regent and Oceania. i am using Regents snorkels tours everywhere but on Tortola as i have a chance to go to Josh Van Dyle on my own.. if i like the company i wil use them in 2012.

I love large cabins and always am on the balcony even in cooler weather for taking pictures and eating.

I am sure i will like both lines as long as i find peopel to eat with me.

I just heard from a friend on Regent who said their excursion in Ephesus consisted of a guide reading from a book. We had a fabulous guide for just the two of us for less per person than the large O tour group and saw the Terrace Houses as well. A few of her other included excursions were canceled and combined, leaving you perhaps with an excursion that isn't what you wanted to see and do. We enjoy the pre-cruise planning of deciding what to do on our own or finding a private guide to do exactly what we want. I realize not everyone does however. Not being big drinkers (a glass or two of wine each day) the included alcohol isn't worth it to us. And we have saved money by booking our own air on each of our two O cruises (taken the allowance back from O), but living near a busy international airport in Chicago obviously helped there.

Wow! I had a great tour while on Regent in Ephesus. And I have never had a tour cancelled. Wait, one was in the Baltics, but it was quickly replaced for everyone with other tours.:cool:

Archived