Never again

kidledr

Instead of looking for a refund, how about looking for a higher category cabin?

We have had situations where our cabin price has gone down after final payment.

The cruiselines are not bound to, nor will they, give you the lower price. Can't blame them there.

However, we have never had a problem getting a higher category that is in line with what we actually paid.

Maybe rather than curse the darkness, you can light a candle.

Great post. This is true. If I look up the aisle, and then look down the aisle, of the flight, cruise, bus tour, whathaveyou, there will be a different price paid by each consumer! Receiving the very same accomodations as you!

So, you can let it drive you crazy, or enjoy the ride. I prefer the ride.;)

:(We're taking our first and last HAL cruise 12/24 San Diego,Panama Canal,Fort Lauderdale.Paid $4200 a couple,for a DD obstructed view cabin.Checked HAL site,and discovered same class now going for $1000 less,a couple.Called our TA,asking what could be done to make clients(us) happy?

TA's call to HAL determined that they would(could)? do nothing for an account which had been paid in full,as ours was.No upgrade,no OBC,thanks for your business.

Am I wrong for feeling used,as in gotcha?I believe I've been treated unfairly,and they won't get my money again.

It "appears" the lower fare is for a DD guaranteed stateroom and this is a special sale. Many of the other categories (FF, F, EE, E, DA, D, C) in ocean-view seem very much higher than the DD sale price. I hate that this may ruin your cruise. :( Please don't let it.

As others have said - my cruise fare could have been much lower "if" I had waited to book and taken a guaranteed cabin. But I was not willing to take a chance on the ship selling out as I'm also on a holiday cruise (Thanksgiving).

I completely understand why the OP isn't happy, but try to look at the bright side: You have the cabin you wanted. As others have said, the danger of waiting to book after final payment is due (and that's when these really good deals show up) is that you run the risk of either not getting the cruise you want or not getting a cabin where you'd like it to be. This is the reason we never wait; I'm ultra fussy about the location of our cabin.

I don't like HAL's policy and any blame falls on them, not the TA. Any bookings made prior to mid May, Celebrity would give an onboard credit for any change in price (ours went down $200 after final payment so we got the OBC even though that drop only lasted 3 days), but now they have changed their policy. They will no longer issue OBC for the difference (which I thought was really generous), but you can use the dollar amount to upgrade to a higher category.

Can't remember the last time I was given a credit for a cheaper airline 'seat sale,' after my 'regular' fare was already paid. Never? Yes, never.

Very sorry you feel cheated, but better to cancel your cruise altogether, than to go with such a sour attitude about the whole thing. I hope I'm wrong, but unless you make peace with the way things are in this regard, you are sure to have a disappointing holiday, unfortunately.

Not sure what airline you are flying but you can get a credit for a reduced fare. You get the difference between the price you paid less the reduced price less the rebooking fee. I have definately done it many times.

Despite the fact that they said "no upgrade" it still could happen. Once after a price-drop I emailed HAL and asked for an upgrade. They said "sorry", but yet a couple of days later they sent an email giving me the upgrade I asked for. :cool:

I would try calling the TA again and ask them to call HAL one more time. Sometimes a different person will produce a different answer. If you think the TA is just giving you the runaround, ask for a supervisor. It may not be possible for an upgrade or OBC but it is certainly worth a try.

I know I am going to get flamed, but here goes.... My last two cruises have been on HAL. My next booked cruise is on Carnival, with an "early saver" rate. Carnival guarantees an OBC or upgrade if you find your cabin price for your cruise goes down at any time after booking, up until 48 hours prior to sailing. I am not counting on a price decrease, but I am counting on a great cruise, as all my cruises have been (RCCL, X, HAL, Carnival, Princess). Laurie

Yes Carnival does offer this but when you book early saver and you do any changes to your crusie before final payment you have to pay 50.00 pp for the change. so if a sale comes out that isnt an early saver your stuck. so early saver isnt always that great.

Sounds like you need to now bypass the TA and call HAL directly after getting no satisfaction from the TA. Might be the TA doesn't want to give up a portion of their commission.

HAL nor any other cruise line will not talk to a Passenger directly if they were booked with a TA....

I am in a similar situation as the original poster. My TA has talked to HAL a few times and has said that they will not change. My TA says that her boss is trying to get me an upgrade, we'll see. Anyway from now on, unless I want a particular cabin like an aft verandah, I will probably wait until the last minute and take the best deal I can get instead of booking early as I have always done in the past. It's not enough to make me leave HAL, but I will shop around more.

When you are within final payment date no cruise line will give you a refund..They might give an OBC or up grade, but you must remember the new price of the DD cabin is for a guarantee only!...Booking a guarantee is quite different than booking a confirmed cabin No...When booking a Guarantee you take the chance of not even receiving your cabin No until the last minute & it could be in a place that is not the best area, such as right under the MDR or Promenade Deck, where you are awakened at four in the morning..

This is policy on most cruise lines, airlines & public transportation when they need to sell off the empty space..

The OP is not being taken advantage of! However, If I was a good client of the TA, perhaps she would try to negotiate an upgrade or OBC..But don't expect a refund! As someone else mentioned is she prepared to pay an increase, when a fare goes up?...I think not..

Not sure what airline you are flying but you can get a credit for a reduced fare. You get the difference between the price you paid less the reduced price less the rebooking fee. I have definately done it many times.

Sure but you are taking a chance that you will not get the same seat that was confirmed when you originally booked..And yes you still pay a cancellation & re booking fee..

Cheers....:)Betty

I don't understand why the TA is getting the blame. Final payment was made. HAL doesn't doesn't rebook at a lower price after final payment or give any compensation. End of story. It's HAL's policy and they're not changing it. OP might not like the policy, and I'm not saying I blame her for that, but none of this is the TA's fault.

Amen! Why is always thus? Why is the TA expected to rebate some of their commission in this case? Why is it somehow their fault the price drop occured and HAL isn't willing to honour it?

FWIW this TA sees everyday how consumers expect to have it both ways; they want to always get the new lower price if one occurs but take for granted their price is guaranteed against rate hikes. Trust me I understand this particular issue well and despite my efforts to educate all clients still see this replayed regularly. Since nobody, including TA's, can predict the future if you want to roll the dice for a low price then wait and see where pricing goes but if you want to lock in your time off work & other commitments and want to select your sailing & cabin ahead of time then book in advance and risk the price drop, that's the choice. Yes, the rules apply much as many expect they somehow shouldn't.

FWIW I don't believe the same senario would've wound up much different on any of the major cruise lines.

We picked our upcoming cruise for several reasons. One, the itinerary was attractive and we'll be visiting at least a couple of new ports which considering how much we've cruised in the Caribbean is kind of unique. Two, we were able to get a nice deal on a S category cabin of our choice. Three, we love the R and S class ships and we've not been on the Maasdam so this will be a first in that sense. These were our decision factors and nothing has happened to change those and so far the price has remained firm. Sure, if perhaps the price drops before final payment I'll try to take advantage. If it drops after final payment so be it. We got what we wanted and we're just looking forward to a great cruise. :)

Just because you haven't yet embarked on your cruise doesn't mean that the line owes you a refund - There are obviously staterooms left unsold and the line has a short time to sell the remining berths at whatever price the line can get for them to whomever is flexible enough in their life schedule to make the trip, even if it's a minimal amount of money, so that there are warm bodies in those berths spending money onboard.

HAL and every other cruiseline is in business to make a profit - it's called "Capitalism".

When we go to see our TA to make final payment she calls HAL with us sitting there and secures the lowest price as of that day. Sometimes there is a significant reduction in price, sometimes not. Once we have accepted and made final payment we file it and forget about it. We then have a binding contract. We have booked early and have secured the cabin and dining arrangements that work best for us. People who are willing to wait until the last minute may take advantage of lower fares but they lose the edge re dining and cabin selection. The popular shore exes may be sold out, as may cabanas if the cruise is going to Half Moon Cay.

You have to balance what works best for you but you can't have it both ways.

I suppose the OP could be happy that HAL has not raised the cruise price. Yet.

From Holland America's cruise contract http://www.hollandamerica.com/legalAndPrivacy/Main.action?tabName=Cruise/Cruisetour%20Contract

1. Additions to Fare, Taxes and Surcharges: (a) The fare that you paid was determined far in advance of Initial Departure on the basis of then-existing projections of fuel and other costs. In the event of an increase in fuel or other costs above amounts projected, we have the right to increase the fare at any time up to Initial Departure and to require payment of the additional fare prior to Initial Departure. We have the right to refuse to transport you unless the additional fare is paid...

I just noticed two things. The first is that this is appears to be a ring and run thread, I don't see OP following up anywhere.

Anyway, I just saw an advertisement for lower prices on both our Westerdam and Maasdam upcoming cruises. Both advertisements are simply come ons, or bait and switch advertisement! Both cruises are still with a hundred dollars of what we paid for what we selected when we made the original booking!

It seems to me we have what we agreed to. We are not going to fool around with either reservation and we are not going to let this mess up the wonderful cruise experiences we seem to have aboard those damn ships!

We are not going to fool around with either reservation and we are not going to let this mess up the wonderful cruise experiences we seem to have aboard those damn ships!

No need to curse LOL. It's DAM ships :) I love that about HAL. I bought the DAM Ships tshirt on my recent cruise. Such a funny little play on words.

I hope you have a great time on your upcoming cruises aboard those dam ships!

:-)

I know I am going to get flamed, but here goes.... My last two cruises have been on HAL. My next booked cruise is on Carnival, with an "early saver" rate. Carnival guarantees an OBC or upgrade if you find your cabin price for your cruise goes down at any time after booking, up until 48 hours prior to sailing. I am not counting on a price decrease, but I am counting on a great cruise, as all my cruises have been (RCCL, X, HAL, Carnival, Princess). Laurie

I sailed once on CCL this year,,be careful with this. You do get a really low rate with those early savers but sometimes it's pretty tricky to get them to adhere. I read a lot on the CCL forum trying to get ready for that line and the major differences with them and HAL,,,and you will see a few people bring this up about how hard it was for them to get the deal. Although others will say it went flawlessly for them. I could be wrong but part of the trick may be you have to be paid in full when you see the price drop. I looked everyday and never saw a price lower then I paid.

I feel your concern OP. I booked my airfare for our Jan 2nd Tampa cruise when I booked the cruise. Since then the fares have dropped about $100pp (the same as the the reticketing fee). It would have been better to wait but I didn't. I feel the pain but that was a decision I made and I don't blame the airline for me not wanting to take a risk.

As others have said, you thought the risk/reward was good in the first place or you wouldn't have booked the cruise. Just enjoy the cruise. Next time if you want to take a risk of not getting the exact cruise/cabin you want and book at the last minute. If you are flexible perhaps that will work better for you.

I hope you can put this in the past and have a great cruise!

I just noticed two things. The first is that this is appears to be a ring and run thread, I don't see OP following up anywhere.

First, it appears the OP is not a heavy poster here and perhaps not savvy about how these things generally play out:rolleyes:. They wanted to get a feel about how everyone would react in the same situation.

Second, and perhaps more important, if I were a less frequent poster, I'd run for the hills, too. Par for the course. HAL is never wrong; book later, let the buyer beware, what'd you expect, be smart, beg the TA, beg HAL, call directly and on and on. Same old stuff.

No one has to like HAL's policy whether HAL has a right to have it or not. I understand HAL's policy in today's world. Sites like this are part of the reason. Time was maybe a quiet call to HAL or the TA might bring another outcome, but in today's world where everyone blathers every tiny break they get, cruise lines had to get 'tighter' about their policies with less 'wiggle room'. I don't blame them. They publish a price break and everyone and his uncle comes out of the woodwork to get the break, too.

But it's HAL's policy the OP took issue with ... not the TA. It's an honest and fair question. It would be nice if we could just answer the question ... whether or not we would feel "used" or not and leave it at that. Many people did that, but others immediately pummeled the OP for what reason I'll never know.

First, it appears the OP is not a heavy poster here and perhaps not savvy about how these things generally play out:rolleyes:. They wanted to get a feel about how everyone would react in the same situation...

But it's HAL's policy the OP took issue with ... not the TA. It's an honest and fair question. It would be nice if we could just answer the question ... whether or not we would feel "used" or not and leave it at that. Many people did that, but others immediately pummeled the OP for what reason I'll never know.

100% agree. :cool:

No one has to like HAL's policy whether HAL has a right to have it or not. I understand HAL's policy in today's world. Sites like this are part of the reason. Time was maybe a quiet call to HAL or the TA might bring another outcome, but in today's world where everyone blathers every tiny break they get, cruise lines had to get 'tighter' about their policies with less 'wiggle room'. I don't blame them. They publish a price break and everyone and his uncle comes out of the woodwork to get the break, too.

Information is a double edged sword; it gets the HAL brand and message to more people in more ways including sites like CC and helps build a brand but the flipside is one HAL has to live with also which is the speed at which information it may not like travels. You take the pros with the cons, or at least you should IMHO.

Our HAL 14 day Carib cruise has gone down by $600 pp, ($2400 pp down to $1800 pp) I queried a refund with HAL agent in OZ, no way they said, no price drops for Aussies. You pay the price you booked at and no I have not made final payment.

You can always hit back at HAL by reducing your on board spending in various ways to make up the dollars you might have got back, but have gone into the HAL coffers.

But at the end of the day HAL have got you by the proverbial, but then so have most of the other cruise lines.

I must be dense because I simply do not get it. One purchases something at a certain price and is, presumably, happy with what they've agreed to buy. Otherwise, why would they have bought it in the first place? Then, they see a lower price offered and when they discover they can't get it, because that's company policy, they get upset and complain to the world about how unfair this is. :confused:

Unbelievable!

I remember a flight I was on where a few of us first class passengers were comparing how much we'd paid for our seats. The spread was enormous! We all got a kick out of trying to one-up each other on what a great deal we'd gotten but no one bemoaned the fact that they'd paid hundreds more than another. I'm glad my flight-mates were happy sorts....free alcohol probably helped ;).

We all want to get the best deal but it's not always going to happen. You see it, you want it, so you buy it...don't complain about it. Simple.

The Neiw Amsterdam is like less than less than 4 months old and has been plagued by "GI" disease out breaks , it sounds several times. ( I suspect jumping the passenger loads up 50% might have something to do with it.

It seems smaller ships do not have these problems).

How is is possible that a new ship is starting out with such a poor track record withe her maden voyage in the US basicaly under quarentine of the CDC...

This is not good...My wife, a retired medical professional, presently dosen't want to even take the cruise even if it means walking away from a fully paid cruise.!

What's your take ??? Would you go with such a terrible track record....

???

This is not good...My wife, a retired medical professional, presently dosen't want to even take the cruise even if it means walking away from a fully paid cruise.!

What's your take ??? Would you go with such a terrible track record....

???

Depends on your health. Are you able to quickly recover from an illness?

Archived