Passport Question

dmlee1990

We are sailing to Alaska in August 2011. Our DD's passport expires Nov 2011. Is it necessary for us to renew her passport before we sail? Our cruise confirmation indicates that passports should be vailid 6 months after the sail date. Does this apply to an Alaskan cruise that just stops one day in Victoria?

Thanks!

While the answer is technically no, I would renew. You don't want to have to deal with problems if someone is overzealous regarding paperwork.

We are sailing to Alaska in August 2011. Our DD's passport expires Nov 2011. Is it necessary for us to renew her passport before we sail? Our cruise confirmation indicates that passports should be vailid 6 months after the sail date. Does this apply to an Alaskan cruise that just stops one day in Victoria?

Thanks!

If you're sailing roundtrip out of Seattle, then the previous posters are correct. She does not have to have a valid passport for this itinerary. A certified birth certificate and government ID is all that is required. There are ZERO problems getting into Victoria with that combination from a cruise ship. (I know... I did it this past July sailing to Alaska from San Francisco.) Of course, that being said, since she already has a passport, it should be simple to get it renewed. A valid passport is always the best travel document.

We were told they must be valid for six months, so yes I would definately re-new them. We also scan our passports before we leave for an out of country trip. We carry these with us, so if anything happens, they have our information on hand. We also found out that ( in Canada) you should register to gc.travelvoyage.com, and let them know if you are travelling out of country. This is more for longer trips away, than on a cruise, but it is a great precautionary measure !!

B.J.

18 cruises and holding

Thanks!

It would be a good idea to renew, as boarding could be refused if the passport isn't valid for 6 months past the sailing date.

Not exactly a cruise, but the last time we took a ferry from the Seattle area to/from Victoria, they required a passport to re-enter the US. Just driver's license wouldn't do.

The final answer is: renewing the passport allows you to go on more cruises ! :D

Thanks for your input everyone! I was just hoping that we could make use of the final year of the passport before renewing. But it's probably better to renew early than to possibly jeopardize boarding in August. Appreciate your thoughts. :)

Canada does not require passports from the US be valid for 6 months beyond the travel dates. You can renew if you want to be extra cautious, but you don't have to. The '6 months validity' statement on travel suppliers' websites is a blanket statement that covers all countries world-wide. Airlines tend to be the most hard-nosed about this.

Apropos of nothing, I once was at the checkin counter at JFK for a trip to Athens when the agent told me I had less than 6 months on my PP and couldn't land in Greece as per their law. I hadn't given the expiration date a thought. So back home on the next flight out. A lesson learned.

Apropos of nothing, I once was at the checkin counter at JFK for a trip to Athens when the agent told me I had less than 6 months on my PP and couldn't land in Greece as per their law. I hadn't given the expiration date a thought. So back home on the next flight out. A lesson learned.
Not sure when this was, but this is a typical example of airline overkill if it happened since Greece has been part of the Schengen agreement. The actual requirement (currently) of Greece is a passport valid for 3 months, not 6.

Not sure when this was, but this is a typical example of airline overkill if it happened since Greece has been part of the Schengen agreement. The actual requirement (currently) of Greece is a passport valid for 3 months, not 6.

It might well have been overkill, but I only recall that it occured sometime ago but possibly after the agreement was implemented EU wide. I do remember rushing for the flight back home and that the ticket agent said the airline would be severely fined it I were allowed to board. In any case water long over the dam.

I just renewed mine. Technically, I had 6 months to the day from the end of the cruise but sometimes ignorance or overzealousness of someone with a little authority (or a lot) could ruin my vacation. In the grand scheme it is a small price to pay for no anxiety or problems.

Canada does not require passports from the US be valid for 6 months beyond the travel dates. You can renew if you want to be extra cautious, but you don't have to. The '6 months validity' statement on travel suppliers' websites is a blanket statement that covers all countries world-wide. Airlines tend to be the most hard-nosed about this.

With the exception of cherylandtk above, boy are you getting a lot of misinformation, and non-answers to your question. As cherylandtk has correctly stated, no, Canada does not require the 6 month validity, and obviously the U.S. does not. So it is not necessary to have your passport renewed.

Neither Canada nor the U.S. is Turkmenistan (where the police tried to shake me down for a Turkmen visa, despite two valid CIS visas) The immigration officials in both the U.S. and Canada know the law, and they even enforce it fairly.

Bill

The passport should be valid 6 months beyond time of travel...why risk it?

I renewed this past year...I think it was $75.

We need to get ours renewed next year but I thought it was more like $130. or so and not $75. Am I wrong?????

Nope. You are not wrong. It's the same price for a new as a renewal. $140/pp. Here's a link to the page with all of the fees: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

Per the link Pam gave, a renewal for an adult passport is now $110. A new adult passport is $135.

The price went up this summer.

With the exception of cherylandtk above, boy are you getting a lot of misinformation, and non-answers to your question. As cherylandtk has correctly stated, no, Canada does not require the 6 month validity, and obviously the U.S. does not. So it is not necessary to have your passport renewed.

Neither Canada nor the U.S. is Turkmenistan (where the police tried to shake me down for a Turkmen visa, despite two valid CIS visas) The immigration officials in both the U.S. and Canada know the law, and they even enforce it fairly.

Bill

Canada doesn't require, but the cruise line does. And, as was said before, an over zealous check-in clerk could possibly deny boarding.

Thanks!

You should be fine, but check with a Canadian government official (google CANADA CONSULATE). I say this because a passport is technically not required to enter Canada as a US citizen; you require

1) Proof of Citizenship

2) Government Issued Photo ID

3) Documentation to return to the USA

As the USA require US Citizens to have a passport to return home, hence you need a passport to enter Canada. In cases where you don't need a passport to return home (closed loop cruise), #3 above is still valid.

The 6 month rule exists with a lot of countries, because they have a 6 month visitor period, and don't want you entering (Greece for example) for 4 months as a visitor, when your passport expires in 2.

Check with your cruise line.

I was not allowed to check in on line with 5 months to go, despite having an EU passport and being wholly in the EU for the cruise. Nothing to do with ports of call or returning home...just cruise line rules.

If you renew early in the UK, the extra months are added to your new passport.

Jo.

Archived