Cordon Bleu Courses

flossie009

Do Regent still offer the Cordon Bleu cookery courses?

We are on the Mariner 23 March 2011 TransAtlantic. The Cordon Bleu course was shown as available in the brochure but we understand from our TA that it is no longer being offered.

Has the Executive Chef heard about our lack of expertise and decided he cannot face the challenge?? :eek:

Susan & David

I know for sure that Ida (Col Wes' wife) is taking it right now on the TA. Many have enjoyed it in the past. It is surely something I would be interested in doing in the future. Just haven't been on a cruise where it was offered yet. I hope it is not being discontinued.

I find it hard to believe that Regent would be abandoning these CDB courses since they are so popular. Perhaps CDB itself could not supply a chef for this timeframe? Perhaps they have staff turnover or something. That's all I can think of. I would make sure my TA had the complete, correct information before I gave up on this.

I have always wanted to take this course so I will be disappointed if they discontinue it. They did not seem to offer it too frequently although I may be incorrect on this. Was the chef who taught it actually LCB trained?

The usual sequence for Signatures [told to me by the chef of Signatures] is that CB headquarters send menu ideas & recipes to Regent Headquarters where the recipes are then tweaked. The chef who acutally cooks the recipes in Signatures is a Regent chef, not a CB trained chef. Perhaps that is impacting the course offerings? If they actually fly in a CB chef and he occupies a cabin, this would seem to be ags. Regent's new philosophy of using every cabin to create revenue.

I have always wanted to take this course so I will be disappointed if they discontinue it. They did not seem to offer it too frequently although I may be incorrect on this. Was the chef who taught it actually LCB trained?

The usual sequence for Signatures [told to me by the chef of Signatures] is that CB headquarters send menu ideas & recipes to Regent Headquarters where the recipes are then tweaked. The chef who acutally cooks the recipes in Signatures is a Regent chef, not a CB trained chef. Perhaps that is impacting the course offerings? If they actually fly in a CB chef and he occupies a cabin, this would seem to be ags. Regent's new philosophy of using every cabin to create revenue.

We've taken the course twice, and both times a real CDB chef taught the course, the last time from the centre in Ottawa. If they are stopping this to generate revenue for the line, that would be a real blow to my confidence.

Just because a LCB course doesn't show on the website for any 2011 cruise doesn't necessarily mean that such a course will not take place. There could be any number of reasons why the website doesn't show any LCB courses for 2011 other than cancellation for revenue generation.

Moreover, when you crunch the numbers, revenue generation as a reason for cancellation of the LCB courses in 2011 doesn't make any sense to me. The LCB courses tend to be on crossings with lots of sea days. Those cruises usually have the lowest fares. The LCB courses almost always sell out prior to the cruise. There are a total of 30 participants. The course costs $499, so the total revenue from the course is $14970. On the upcoming December cruise from Cape Town to Rio, the least expensive suite was $5600 pp or $11200 for two. (The 2011 Mariner TA in March costs $5499 for the least expensive suite or $10998 for two.) Even adding in air transportation and a stipend (if any) for the chef, the course appears to be a money maker for Regent vs not having a course and selling an extra suite to a couple.

Dave

I have taken the Cordon Bleu course twice. Once, with a chef (Michael Katz) from the London school. He and the course were fantastic, and the Exec Chef gave us all his support including taking us to the fish market in Acapulco where he and Michael lectured - in front of the fish stalls - on how to choose fresh fish and on the different kinds on sale. Really an amazing experience.

second time was not so great. First two dishes were repeated which was a dissapointment to me. second, the chef was unable to control a "loud-mouthed know it all" who thought he was teaching the course. Most of us in the course were not amused! But we got our revenge when, out of all the soufflés, this man's did not rise and resembled a pile of scrambled eggs!

I would defintely take it again, but would also ask the chef for a slightly different recipe if one of the ones I have done showed up again.

On the subject of the chefs in Signatures it was my understanding from both Michael Katz and the Canadian chef that the head chefs are Cordon Bleu trained. The others work under their command. But this might have changed. It was definitely the case on our latin American cruise on the mariner in 2008 though.

I took the course on the March, '10 crossing on the Mariner and it was absolutely the highlight of the cruise for me (in a cruise full of great things.)

Yes, it requires sea days (at least 3 for workshop days but they don't have to be consecutive. The workshops take at least half a day). We also had three social events; a welcome reception, a dinner, and a party and dinner for graduation, and a kitchen tour that was more indepth than the typical one for the ship. The CB chef on board who did the classes was a CB teaching chef (this particular CB chef might not do another crossing as he seemed prone to seasickness!) and he also did two cooking demonstrations as part of the on board lecture series. We only had two groups with a total about 20 students. I think that sometimes they have three groups, so I don't think our classes sold out.

But I also think I know why! I was very interested in this opportunity and it NEVER showed up on line as being offered on our cruise. My TA also was told it wasn't being offered on our cruise, but got me put on some sort of waiting list. In checking myself, I noticed that it was offered on the first segment (10 day) of the transatlantic -- which was odd since the graduation party wasn't until after the end of that segment. So I called Regent myself and got the same 'not being offered' response and that I was on a waiting list. I wasn't sure until I was on board that I was going to be taking the class. I overheard several comments of other passengers that they didn't know this class was offered. So if you are interested in the class, you may need to press the issue!

At least on our voyage, the regular chef in Signatures was a CB chef also.

Just checked with the Voyager (on board the crossing now) cruise consultant and General Manager. LCB workshop will be offered next year. The courses are not showing up on their promotional grids (Regent verbiage) right now as(more than likely) the contracts with LCB & Regent are being renegotiated. Both expect the LCB workshops to be offered on the 2011 crossings and long voyages (like the one Dave is taking next month). Ida's LCB chef is French, learned his craft from LCB in Paris and now heads the LCB facility in Mexico City. Ida is absolutely loving her second LCB workshop (alas, since she is assisting Christian Leroy (LCB chef) with interpreting (Spanish) during the sessions I do not see her for eight hours when the every other sea day LCB workshops take place.

ps..Dave looking forward to reading your upcoming posts on your Capetown to FLL cruise...we are already booked on Silversea WC 2012 first two segments on this itinerary. Two couples who sailed this same itinerary on the Mariner recently (along with the Voyager GM) say it is a spectacular voyage (esp. the desert excursion in Namibia...we also love the 17 plus sea days)

That's good news Wes. Certainly several of us sound as though we will be happy that LCB courses will continue. And again, as with some tours, it's good to learn that one has to keep checking/following up and might find success. Hopefully Regent's home office will find its way to more accurate information giving.

I find it interesting that some of you experienced CB trained chefs in command at Signatures. Last year I spent quite some time with 'our' chef and he was quite clear that he was not CB....perhaps this was an exception or perhaps the resume of the chef varies. Whatever, the food was good!

Thanks to everyone for your useful advice.

We emailed Regent with the following question:

"We are on the Mariner 23 March 2011 TransAtlantic. Your brochure indicated that a Cordon Bleu course would be available on this cruise but we understand from our TA that it is no longer being offered. Is this correct and, if so, why? Will you be offering the Cordon Bleu cookery courses on any future cruises?"

and received this reply:

"The Cordon Bleu Courses have to be booked and paid for in advance, whilst it may have been available at the time of booking . The courses can be cancelled at any time depending on demand. At present we have no courses listed for 2011, but alternative courses may be available throughout the year. These can be found under Enrichment on our website or by calling us. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries"

Still being confused Susan rang Regent (UK) this week and was advised that the Cordon Bleu course on our cruise had been cancelled due to lack of interest.....

We will try contacting Regent again nearer the date of the cruise in case there are further developments as per Col Wes information.

Thanks again for your help

Susan & David

Cancellation of the CB classes would be a real disappointment. They were always the highlight of the crossing....keeping us out of trouble on sea days and a great way to meet people.

It was my understanding that the CB chefs also did quality control review while onboard to ensure that Signatures maintained CB standards. I did the class three times with three different instructors...all very good. Each time I learned new techniques even if the menu was similar.

I wonder if the "free" tours had any impact on the lower participation. The classes were always full in the past. Even when the cost went up by almost 50% we had three full classes. Seems like they might market it better rather than cut out such a popular program.

Ka hanu, when I report on a regent policy I try to quote an actual source versus stating someone at corporate stating Regent will not be renewing the cordon bleu courses...accordingly here is what the President of Regent, Mark Conroy just sent me:

They (Le Cordon Bleu workshops) should be through at least the dry-dock in 2011. We are now reviewing the agreement with them and trying to determine if it is time to change the menu concept in Signatures.

Mark

Mark S. Conroy │ President

Regent Seven Seas Cruises │ 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 500, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334

tel: 954.940.7320 │ fax: 954.772.4113

Oceania Marina has a highly anticipated Culinary Center , in conjunction with Bon Appétit, that will offer a variety of food preparation courses at a reasonable cost ($49 per session) with a variety of sessions offered. You can get a good description of the classes here. Betsy and I are signed up for the 3-session pasta class on Marina's Maiden Voyage in January.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I can't help wondering if the concept of the culinary center might be extended to Regent ships...it probably would not be as extensive as the 24-station center on the larger Marina, but it's an interesting idea.

I did the LCB on the Voyager and it really was so much fun. I can hardly boil water and I thought the chef and the other students were going to bust a gut laughing at me. Well I do know one thing......Stay out of the kitchen!!!

My partner who is a wonderful cook came down to observe me. He said I was like Lucy in the chocolate factory.

I was finally relegated to cleaning pots and pans.:eek:

Ka hanu, when I report on a regent policy I try to quote an actual source versus stating someone at corporate stating Regent will not be renewing the cordon bleu courses...accordingly here is what the President of Regent, Mark Conroy just sent me:

They (Le Cordon Bleu workshops) should be through at least the dry-dock in 2011. We are now reviewing the agreement with them and trying to determine if it is time to change the menu concept in Signatures.

Mark

Mark S. Conroy │ President

Regent Seven Seas Cruises │ 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 500, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334

tel: 954.940.7320 │ fax: 954.772.4113

Ah, Colonel, darlin'... I'm just a poor grunt and obviously don't have your contacts. I reported exactly what I received in its entirety. Sorry I didn't know anyone rich and/or famous to whom I could attribute it.

I'm not sure what you asked Mr. Conroy, but his email didn't seem to answer the original question: The Mariner TA info for March 2011 originally listed the LCB course and now does not; what's happening?

My "someone at corporate" indicates they will not offer it. I'm not sure what your excerpt says but it would seem to indicate that it is being offered (which is not the case as far as I can tell). What's the deal here?

Ah, Colonel, darlin'... I'm just a poor grunt and obviously don't have your contacts. I reported exactly what I received in its entirety. Sorry I didn't know anyone rich and/or famous to whom I could attribute it.

I'm not sure what you asked Mr. Conroy, but his email didn't seem to answer the original question: The Mariner TA info for March 2011 originally listed the LCB course and now does not; what's happening?

My "someone at corporate" indicates they will not offer it. I'm not sure what your excerpt says but it would seem to indicate that it is being offered (which is not the case as far as I can tell). What's the deal here?

I have to agree with your assessment. Mr. Conroy's response definitely put more questions about the future of LCB in my mind.

In terms of contacts, I do not have any either (except some of the lovely Regent staff who have shared some rumors with me). I did have an occasion to have a lengthy telephone conversation with Mr. Conroy's boss earlier in the year and did ask him about Oceania and Regent merging. He quite strongly stated that this would not happen.

I, too, hope that they keep LCB. We really enjoyed it last year :)

I wondered about the same thing, Hondorner -- I also wonder if the two "brands" will be merged...

It's my strong impression that the two brands will NOT be merged.

Although they may grow more alike in many ways, they will always enjoy different marketing strategies. Regent, already the most inclusive of all the major cruise lines, will continue to be more so. Oceania, on the other hand, will continue to tend towards ala carte pricing.

There will continue to be some differences in stateroom size, with Regent continuing to be "all suite" and almost "all balcony", while Oceania will continue with standard (non-suite) balcony cabins and a scattering of inside and ocean view cabins.

For those (like me) who are not concerned with cabin space, who drinks little, who takes few excursions (unless they are included, then I take them all), who books inexpensive hotels at embarkation (unless they are included), and never pays exorbitant airfare for a few hours of business class, Oceania will continue to be a much less expensive alternative than Regent in most cases. Yet, it will continue to offer service, food, and more that is equal to, and sometimes surpassing, Regent.

Oceania's focus has made it perhaps the most successful cruise line in a fairly short period -- remember, it did not begin full service until 2003. This is entirely due to management, and contrary to popular opinion among many of Regent's "old guard", I think that management will be the key to an ever-improving Regent as many of the policies are put in place.

I acknowledge they (the policies) will be different, and since many guest do not welcome change, they may be slightly unpopular in the short run. Based on some of the recent glowing reports from passengers, and my Oceania experience, I think most people will be very happy in the long run.

Personally, I do see Regent becoming more of a different branch of the same tree, and I think that is a Good Thing. I love having the choice when I can juggle things to afford Regent.

Archived