Recent cruisers, I really need your help!

ekerr19

When I am at home, the TP is easily reached with my right hand. It has become a habit. It is right there. Rolling right off the top.

On board, it is on the LEFT. Trauma!! I reach with my right hand, No TP!! :D I actually have to think about it and it is emotionally jarring.

Easy to fix, Linda - just turn around and face the wall. Very carefully, of course :eek:

I have an entirely different problem here. My wife and I are going on our first cruise this summer, and I have been telling her what a great source of information I have found at CC. How do I explain that one of the longest threads running this week concerns which way the TP unrolls!:eek:

BTW, I'm over the top...:rolleyes:

I have an entirely different problem here. My wife and I are going on our first cruise this summer, and I have been telling her what a great source of information I have found at CC. How do I explain that one of the longest threads running this week concerns which way the TP unrolls!:eek:

BTW, I'm over the top...:rolleyes:

Just tell her that was the "Only on a need to know bases" thread :) And The one and only soap opera thread on here hehehe :)

Welcome to the boards Landlubber54! Your one of us now hehehehe :)

Too funny. Just when I thought maybe this thread was all rolled out:rolleyes: ... it gets funny again!

Linda, priceless! But yet so true! I can't tell you how many times I reach to the left (in my case) and it's to the right. It is emotionally jarring!!! If, on top of that, it's rolling from under -- well, the damage is irrepairable I should think.

Ctguy, I was so relieved to read your scientific explanation of the problem and its resolve. Thank you!

It's really heartening to find on these pages that so many of us share this problem. As a result I feel confident that HAL will be addressing the issue (tissue?) in short order.

This thread has been funny, but I woke up this morning realizing that it masks a serious problem. While it's true that the quality of TP on HAL ships is better than on most others, it still isn't up to the standard of what we use at home (Cottenelle Ultra). So I'm wondering what the line's policy is on bringing aboard your own TP. If it's allowed, should I buy the 12-pack and carry it on the plane? Wrap it (or box it) and check it as baggage? Take a chance on finding some at a store near the dock?

Is there room to store a 12-pack in my cabin? Is there a charge if I take a roll into a public rest room (a "wipage" charge?)?

Does anyone know where my supply might be replenished in foreign ports?

I think --and this is not one of my jokes-- there is a "ship quality" TP that is used specially to match the system onboard. Just be less energetic and wash the tips of your fingers a little bit more when you are done.

This thread has been funny, but I woke up this morning realizing that it masks a serious problem. While it's true that the quality of TP on HAL ships is better than on most others, it still isn't up to the standard of what we use at home (Cottenelle Ultra). So I'm wondering what the line's policy is on bringing aboard your own TP. If it's allowed, should I buy the 12-pack and carry it on the plane? Wrap it (or box it) and check it as baggage? Take a chance on finding some at a store near the dock?

Is there room to store a 12-pack in my cabin? Is there a charge if I take a roll into a public rest room (a "wipage" charge?)?

Does anyone know where my supply might be replenished in foreign ports?

Wow Dave, I am so glad you brought this up! My tushy only likes Kleenex Cottonelle, so I bring my own tp. At first I would take the ships tp off then put mine on but daily my tp would disappear and the ships would reappear (I think the cabin steward was helping himself to my gold mine), and a 12 pks takes up so much room in my luggage (although I did have extra room going home for my shopping) so what I do now to save room and of course I paid for the ships tp so now I use it, here's what you do. Roll out what you need, then take your own tp and wrap it around the ships tp so you still get the softness and save on your tp :)

Oh dear ... sad to say we part company yet again. I'm a Charmin Ultra kind of gal and recently found they now make these rolls not only in double rolls, but "Giant" and finally "Mega" rolls which they even admit will not fit on a standard holder and give you a special attachment to accommodate the size. Enough on that.

The good news is that when you bring your own tp onboard, they will now give you an allowance, or rather a credit, on your shipboard account. They pro-rate it depending on your usage and you do have to go to the Front Desk daily and divulge how many times you would have used the tp in the public restrooms. This is on an honor basis and I find it quite fair and equitable and up to the level of HAL's new SOE.

Ziggy, I have absolutely no idea what you said!:confused:

Ziggy, I have absolutely no idea what you said!:confused:

Sheesh Heather, ya know, it's like how we carry our own little seat covers and little travel rolls of tp in our purses!

And by the way! How come they dont have seat covers in the cabin bathrooms! Now that would be SOE !

Oh dear ... sad to say we part company yet again. I'm a Charmin Ultra kind of gal and recently found they now make these rolls not only in double rolls, but "Giant" and finally "Mega" rolls which they even admit will not fit on a standard holder and give you a special attachment to accommodate the size.

Heather, here's one we totally agree one. Charmin Ultra for me too:D

I like the idea of taking with then having more room in the luggage to bringthings you have bought on the cruise home. Some how I doubt DH will go for this idea though:eek: Not unless it gets us a BIG Ship Board Credit.:)

I think tomc is correct: the HAL tp is designed for the ships' delicate plumbing and waste treatment systems-seriously. As much as we like Charmin Ultra, too, we "rough it" while on HAL ships.

Makes sense to me, but way too serious!!!

Bill S, poor you!!! "Roughing" it out with HAL's TP!!! Boo hoo!!!

crying_baby.jpgBCP015-17.jpgcrying_baby01_300_border.jpg

LOL, ExpCruiser - that's a good one.

Like a bad penny, Hm-m-m

It was meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke... :)

Seriously, you've been a pretty good sport here lately - I know I've given you a bit of grief!

Where we live we have only primitive septic tank systems. Although ALL the locally available paper disintegrates immediately upon hitting water, every loo I've ever used in Europe has a wastebasket with a lid for paper. You get used to it. Makes sense, to me.

lane

Where we live we have only primitive septic tank systems. Although ALL the locally available paper disintegrates immediately upon hitting water, every loo I've ever used in Europe has a wastebasket with a lid for paper. You get used to it. Makes sense, to me.

lane

Now that is way more information then I ever wanted to know !!! eeewwwwwwwww :)

Since this thread is about the bathroom--I could care less about the way the TP unrolls but my cruise is ruined if the cabin steward forgets to put the seat up on the potty. It would kill my entire cruise to be forced bend over, possibly hurting my back, and lift up the seat. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 12/31/05

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

From Ekerr19 :

Seriously, you've been a pretty good sport here lately - I know I've given you a bit of grief!

A bit of Grief? You all drummed me out of the corp, but as you state, I turned up again like a bad penny! Have you noticed that (with great restraint) I haven't posted on the worst cruising mistake thread ... that taking HAL was mine? :D

From Ekerr19 :

You all drummed me out of the corp,

Oh, that's harsh! LOL!!! Especially being that you're still here! (Joking - ok folks!)