LIVE from the Emerald - 11/28/10 to 12/18/10

ccrain

Thanksgiving cruise we had 198 elites also. There are themed lunches in carib cafe but not advertised in the patters, we found a chinese including sushi and a mexican buffet.

Tried the plastic wrapped sandwiches twice but the bread turned into soggy dough. Can't wait to hear about the chef's table.

12-1-10 St Kitts:

Because Captain’s Circle was held on a non-formal night, we decided to go and score some free drinks. Ok, some free flavored ice water. No new news on the new ships. No tidbits of information. Most traveled passengers were all over 700 days at sea. Over 2000 CC members with 190+ elites. Ah well there goes our invite to the most travelled party.

How are the drinks in other areas of the ship? I expect the watered-down drinks at the Captain's Circle party, but on our last cruise we got some when we attended shows. We did complain and got a few charges removed from our account.

My wife and I are celebrating our Honeymoon on the Emerald leaving the 18th. I didn't think I could be more excited for this trip until I started reading this thread. Great job, keep it coming!!!

Thanks so much for your detailed reviews. We are also sailing on the Dec.18th departure and are getting more and more excited as I read your posts. I also love the Braised Oxtail over Rotelle Pasta and can't wait to have it on board.

I look forward to continuing to hear your updates as it is definitely helping to pass the time as we continue to countdown the next 16 days.

:D

How are the drinks in other areas of the ship? I expect the watered-down drinks at the Captain's Circle party, but on our last cruise we got some when we attended shows. We did complain and got a few charges removed from our account.

When house spirits are purchased by the train load at < $1 per lilter, they really don't skimp deliberately on regular drinks. But I'm sure mistakes happen when the bars are busy. My two long islands last night were enough to make me feel it for sure and I could taste the liquor. Unlike a top shelf Long Island in which you can't taste the booze at all, until you stand up and then it hits you over the head!

All in all the drinks are not too bad. Prices haven't changed that much in the past couple of years.

Great Review. We leave for the Emerald next week and looking forward to it. Are they having more than one Chef's Table? I'm looking forward to that and wish I could book it before the cruise.

Thanks again,

They had one last night, and probably again tonight. I'll try and keep track, but I suspect 4 or more considering this size a ship and the regular itinerary.

I successfully completely suprised Judy with the Suite. Had her close her eyes and walked her down the hallway into the suite and then said 'Merry Christmas"!

She was completely surprised. Didn't have a clue and I've been keeping this to myself for months now.

We're on the ship, out to sea and rocking the night away. More later.

E'ya later!

Finally starting to read your live thread. Nice surprise. I would tell you to talk to Stu when you meet him next week, but I'm the one who does all the planning, and I'm not as generous as he is.

Linda

My wife and I are celebrating our Honeymoon on the Emerald leaving the 18th. I didn't think I could be more excited for this trip until I started reading this thread. Great job, keep it coming!!!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! Don't miss the International cafe! They have different things offered (all free) during the day, so visit often lol. You can always take it back to your cabin :rolleyes: Also, the pub lunch is fun & free as well. Have youj looked into the Sanctuary? Well worth the $$, but you have to book onboard.

Jan

Great review. makes me want to join you next week. Also makes me wish for an Aft suite. Are you staying in the suite next week, or changing

Booked the 20 days in a balcony to start and then got a great deal on the suite when the prices started dropping.

could not resist to try one at least once...

Charles and Judy,

Enjoy your cruise. May we sail together again!

Sally

Try the 28 day next october! I do hear the Star will be doing HI R/T's out of SFO in 2012, or is it 2011?

We're gonna try and get on the April 35 day diamond in 2012 from Singapore to Vancouver, or else do an Australian Land Cruise.

See ya!

12-02-10 Barbados:

One of the nicest ports on our itinerary. We might get off for a little while, but nothing fancy. Judy is having her sushi massage, the seaweed wrap massage, this morning so I am catching up on the travel log, downloading email and chilling out waiting for her. Connections via Cisco VPN have been surprisingly good. Using a laptop to compose the travel log offline and then just uploading it has saved a bunch of log on time.

Today was actually one of those catch up on our sleep days. It was a bit choppy last night which caused several balcony doors on the aft end, apparently we aren’t the only ones who sleep with the door open, to slam open or shut. That happened several times after midnight and each time it brought me full awake as in geez did we hit a deer?

Needless to say when Judy left for her massage appointment, I just stayed in bed and went back to sleep. Hey, I’m on vacation! We caught bits of MUTs this afternoon, Sherlock Holmes, but the sound was just not right. Other than that we simply took the entire day off…

Dinner was the cosmopolitan menu. I had the crabmeat appetizer, it was just ok, not a ceviche, but with extra lemon squeezed on it wasn’t half bad. Judy had the shrimp cocktail. Those shrimps are getting smaller all the time, but still tasty. We both had the salad. She has the Dutch Pork Ribs, I had the leg of lamb. Yes lamb once again. It was really good. Actually really, really good. Judy liked her Dutch Pork Ribs, but I felt they needed some kind of sauce to tie them all together. They were very tender. For dessert, it was Cherries Jubilee with ice cream. That was excellent, as usual. We have a regular table set up by the Head Waiter in the Micheangelo dining room. A table for two in a quiet corner with Armen from the Phillipines – can’t spell or pronounce his partners name yet. Service is simply outstanding.

After dinner it was time for a canned music ballroom session in Club fusion. The music selection was actually really good. It was DJed properly with good volume, no repeats on the music and the Club Fusion dance floor is great. We had a good turnout with several couples.

Then we went to see a concert show. The Beatlemaniacs. If you like the beatles, you will like this group. They basically look and dress like the Beatles and play about 50 minutes worth of songs. I liked the music a lot and Judy is a Beatle’s fan. I guess my only disappointment was that some of the music was canned, so it was hard to tell what was live and what was Memorex. I know for a fact the horns were canned, it’s a 4 piece band after all, and some of the guitars. I’m pretty sure the drums and the singing was live. It was a fun time and lots of people loved it. With the aforementioned caveat, I recommend it as well.

After the concert, it was Island Party night and a great time was had by all. Tim scores again with a great deck party. My dogs are barking for sure. Basically we danced for about 90 minutes. A couple of slow songs, couple of merengues, electric slide, conga line, dollar dance, hooki lau, Macarena and a couple more I can’t remember. We grabbed a Fosters, two glasses and headed back to the room to decompress.

Another great day…

Ccrain- I'm live on the Emerald, but still enjoying your thread! Tried to find you at the roll call but left about 11:30 for another commitment. We are currently in that funny pyramid-shaped building by the terminal at Pointe Seraphine on St. Lucia using all day DSL wifi for $7. Nice to phone home using Skype.

I have to concur and reiterate about the superb dining service we've had to date on the Emerald. Even during breakfast and lunch, when service can tend to be uninspired, that has not been our experience on the Emerald. We've had dinner in the dining room, Cafe Caribe and not at all once (after very good hors doerves in the Elite lounge). We're really enjoying the dining, the weather and the entire cruise, and are thrilled to have another 4 cruises on the Emerald this winter.

Beatlemania was awesome! We met those guys boarding the ship yesterday on Barbados, and chatted with them. I told them "no pressure, but we've had some really bad comedians on the cruise so far, and everyone is highly anticipating your performance tonight". Were they ever! Dancing in the aisles, dancing in the rows of seats...this show definitely pleased this cruise's demographic (although who doesn't love the music of the Beatles?)

Looking forward to your continued posts...

I have been following your posts with the intention to book the Emerald for the 10 dayer. Question: In other threads, people say not to leave the balcony door opened as it affects other cabins air conditioning. In fact, I have seen people scolded on here who say they do. I have no idea if the Emerald is different or not in this respect. It would be lovely if one could keep the door open and know it isn't disrupting anyone elses a/c as I would love an aft cabin. What has been your findings or do you know? or does anyone here know?

I have been following your posts with the intention to book the Emerald for the 10 dayer. Question: In other threads, people say not to leave the balcony door opened as it affects other cabins air conditioning. In fact, I have seen people scolded on here who say they do. I have no idea if the Emerald is different or not in this respect. It would be lovely if one could keep the door open and know it isn't disrupting anyone elses a/c as I would love an aft cabin. What has been your findings or do you know? or does anyone here know?

OMG...shut the air off,if u want put a towel on the bottom of your main door.open your balcony door and enjoy!!!It has 0 effect on anybody and anything.Enjoy the way u want to and ignore the old maid remarks,that do not know anything about air conditioning.Remember the entire inside of ship is air and everyone is coming and going all day long everywhere on any ship!The only thing u should do is shut the balcony door when u leave the room cuz the suction will slam the door on u and maybe hurt a finger or two!!:)

Archived