Solstice class after Ruby Princess - how many steps down?

lusitanica

We have just returned from Ruby Princess.

Briefly: a true classic cruise ship which follows the best maritime traditions.

Now we are looking at something different but close in class to that level.

Solstice class seems to be the nearest option.

I am doing my homework on Solstice class.

What I see already is that Solstice class is one level below as a ship (unfortunately, just a modern floating hotel, not a ship) and the quality of accommodation (roughly for the same price) will be one level below as well.

I am still in the hope that food and entertainment on Silhouette will not disappoint after Ruby Princess.

Any info (from those happened to be both on Ruby and Solstice class) about food and entertainment on Silhouette (or sister-ships) will be appreciated.

Thank you.

What I see already is that Solstice class is one level below as a ship (unfortunately, just a modern floating hotel, not a ship) and the quality of accommodation (roughly for the same price) will be one level below as well.

I am still in the hope that food and entertainment on Silhouette will not disappoint after Ruby Princess.

Any info (from those happened to be both on Ruby and Solstice class) about food and entertainment on Silhouette (or sister-ships) will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Princess = 8.2

Celebrity = 9.4

(Celebrity Solstice Class ships are the best mass market ships at sea!)

any questions?

I'm shocked by your post! I'm an Elite Princess cruiser and love what they do, but I cannot possibly say the Ruby Princess, or any other Princess ship is better than the Solstice Class ships on Celebrity. IMHO, and with all due respect to Princess, Celebrity outdoes them in most areas.... The food options are superior and the quality is better, the entertainment is top notch, the gym is excellent, the level of sophistication is higher.... The ships are elegant and classy, the whole ambience is a step up from Princess's mass market yet comfortable appeal....

I really, really like Princess and the package they offer, but would honestly score Celebrity higher in almost every area. Princess cabins are slightly bigger and Celebrity is pretty stingy in that area. However, Celebrity cabins are modern and classy in design. I like both lines enormously, but have to give Celebrity the edge. The Ruby is a lovely ship, but she's no Solstice class ship and none are any of her sisters..... The Solstice class ships are truly ships for the 21st century.... Maybe HAL would be more your style, if you want that traditional ambience. Celebrity is what it is and does it VERY well.

We've been on both Ruby and Solstice. We found both ships to be very comparable. We liked the Lotus Spa area a bit better than Persian Gardens, though we enjoyed having an outside view in Persian Gardens. We found the design of Solstice to feel less crowded. And, of course, we were able to enjoy our Solstice balcony 100% of the time we wanted to, as opposed to 50% on Ruby, due to smoking by our neighbors. Solstice lacks MUTS, though we did not partake on Ruby, anyway. I also missed Ruby's full exterior promenade on decks 6/7, but this was minor. On Solstice, you can't get to the bow and play King of the World;).

I'm not a big foodie, so I can't really offer an intelligent commentary, except to say that what Princess refers to a bratwurst is more of an overgrown hot dog. Celebrity, at least, serves actual brats, though they could be cooked through a bit more. For a cheesehead, brats are important!

I believe if you liked Ruby, you'll like Solstice.

I agree with the prior affirmative comments vis-a-vis the superiority of the S class over the Ruby Princess etc. We have cruised the mini-suites on the Emerald and Ruby and AQ on the Equinox; and, we are pleased with all of them, but S class wins. By the way, the aforesaid Princess ships are five stars, while the S class is 5.5 stars.

I'm shocked by your post! I'm an Elite Princess cruiser and love what they do, but I cannot possibly say the Ruby Princess, or any other Princess ship is better than the Solstice Class ships on Celebrity. IMHO, and with all due respect to Princess, Celebrity outdoes them in most areas.... The food options are superior and the quality is better, the entertainment is top notch, the gym is excellent, the level of sophistication is higher.... The ships are elegant and classy, the whole ambience is a step up from Princess's mass market yet comfortable appeal....

I really, really like Princess and the package they offer, but would honestly score Celebrity higher in almost every area. Princess cabins are slightly bigger and Celebrity is pretty stingy in that area. However, Celebrity cabins are modern and classy in design. I like both lines enormously, but have to give Celebrity the edge. The Ruby is a lovely ship, but she's no Solstice class ship and none are any of her sisters..... The Solstice class ships are truly ships for the 21st century.... Maybe HAL would be more your style, if you want that traditional ambience. Celebrity is what it is and does it VERY well.

Thank you for your comment, but it's not a question for me what ship is better.

We enjoyed absolutely fantastic uncomparable wrap-around promenade on Ruby, huge observation deck above the bridge, another one (Deck 19) behind the funnel. Nothing close I expect on Solstice class.

I pay $$$$ for sea travel. Not for staying in a modern hotel.

Ruby simply offers a different (higher) class of cruising in that department.

We had a beautiful mini on Emerald (for three) with excellent view of the ocean - clean board from the bow to the stern, no lifeboats, no obsructions. Nothing comparable on Solstice class for the same price.

So my comparison is now limited to food quality and entertainment.

Thanks a lot.

Why would you even consider Celebrity if you have a negative opinion before you even book. Appears from reading your previous posts, you made negative comment about Epic before you even got on the ship, same pattern here. You then wrote a negative report about sinks overflowing and other things that most could care less about. Celebrity has never had a wraparound promenade on any of their ships, it is what they do. You should note however that the S class ships are rated above the Princess ships. As to your comment about Ruby providing a higher degree of cruising, that may be your opinion which is not shared by the majority of the cruising public.

I will comment only that Celebrity has probably the best Specialty restaurants at sea. I won't comment about the other food and entertainment since I read your review of the restaurants on NCL and it would be useless to comment to someone with pre-conceived notions. When people question whether you were even on the ship despite the visuals, I have my doubts..

Thank you.

I agree with Party, why look at it as a step up or down, enjoy both ship for their unique differences and enjoy them both for their great similarities. Both ships are fantastic, you really cant go wrong. Throw out all the reviews that strongly go one way or the other. Solstice class ships are not a step down. Take it from someone that has sailed both ships, you wont be disappointed with either, unless you want to be. Have a great cruise and enjoy!

Ken

Thank you for your comment, but it's not a question for me what ship is better.

We enjoyed absolutely fantastic uncomparable wrap-around promenade on Ruby, huge observation deck above the bridge, another one (Deck 19) behind the funnel. Nothing close I expect on Solstice class.

I pay $$$$ for sea travel. Not for staying in a modern hotel.

Ruby simply offers a different (higher) class of cruising in that department.

We had a beautiful mini on Emerald (for three) with excellent view of the ocean - clean board from the bow to the stern, no lifeboats, no obsructions. Nothing comparable on Solstice class for the same price.

So my comparison is now limited to food quality and entertainment.

Thanks a lot.

Then why in the world are you even considering sailing celebrity if you feel this way?

As far as 'comparable stateroom for the same price'. It's a superior product, therefore it's not surprising that it would be more expensive.

But either way - given your statements and that you are putting down celebrity and don't want to hear any different opinions on why Celebrity is at least as good (or as most people on this board would probably agree - superior) then keep cruising Princess rather than being unhappy with any other cruise line.

(They aren't comparable - Celebrity is superior in every way except maybe cabin size - but the better service - makes up for even that.)

Hi, sounds like you are already quite pleased with the product

Princess provides you. I see you posted this over on the Princess

forum as well and not surprisingly I would say most of those folks

say Princess is a better product (they are Princess cruisers).

It does sound like you are not going to enjoy yourself (that is how

it comes across to me) so wondering why you are choosing something

that you already know you won't be happy with?:eek::confused:

Silhouette is still being built....her sister ships are Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse.

I have sailed on both Celebrity and Princess. I really like both, they are very similar. There are a few things I like better about Celebrity, and a few things I like better about Princess. I make my decisions based on itinerary, price, and ease of getting to the embarkation port.

Why would you even consider Celebrity if you have a negative opinion before you even book. Appears from reading your previous posts, you made negative comment about Epic before you even got on the ship, same pattern here. You then wrote a negative report about sinks overflowing and other things that most could care less about. Celebrity has never had a wraparound promenade on any of their ships, it is what they do. You should note however that the S class ships are rated above the Princess ships. As to your comment about Ruby providing a higher degree of cruising, that may be your opinion which is not shared by the majority of the cruising public.

I will comment only that Celebrity has probably the best Specialty restaurants at sea. I won't comment about the other food and entertainment since I read your review of the restaurants on NCL and it would be useless to comment to someone with pre-conceived notions. When people question whether you were even on the ship despite the visuals, I have my doubts..

Just to clarify some things.

Epic was a different story. I had a technical interest - I like ships. I had a great vacation studying a new ship. Like scientists study bugs, for example. I knew it was a party barge from the beginning. It was funny to experience those "freestyle" and "wavy design" gimmicks. Just extra fun.

The next cruise will be with a different party. They would love the comfort and romance of cruising (they had on Ruby). Of course, I cannot offend them by putting them on a ship like Epic.

So I am looking at Solstice class. I do not have negative opinion about Solstice class. I have high expectations about Silhouette.

I have mentioned several technical facts about two ships explaining why exactly and in what aspects Solstice is inferior to Ruby. I did not look at ratings any deeper than CC ratings (equal), but no rating can change technical facts I mentioned.

Again, I am positive to Solstice class. Please don't worry.

Thanks.

Then why in the world are you even considering sailing celebrity if you feel this way?

As far as 'comparable stateroom for the same price'. It's a superior product, therefore it's not surprising that it would be more expensive.

But either way - given your statements and that you are putting down celebrity and don't want to hear any different opinions on why Celebrity is at least as good (or as most people on this board would probably agree - superior) then keep cruising Princess rather than being unhappy with any other cruise line.

(They aren't comparable - Celebrity is superior in every way except maybe cabin size - but the better service - makes up for even that.)

It's a superior product, therefore it's not surprising that it would be more expensive.

I wouldn't say so. For example, a cruise for three on such a "product" like Epic would cost us about the same - sounds like a joke.

Ruby Princess is overall the best mass market ship in the Caribbean this season - my opinion.

But cruising on the same ship again is a kind of boring. May be the QM2 is an exception.

Whatever beautiful a cruise ship is, my next cruise will be on a different ship.

I wouldn't say so. For example, a cruise for three on such a "product" like Epic would cost us about the same - sounds like a joke.

Ruby Princess is overall the best mass market ship in the Caribbean this season - my opinion.

But cruising on the same ship again is a kind of boring. May be the QM2 is an exception.

Whatever beautiful a cruise ship is, my next cruise will be on a different ship.

Perhaps you should stop using the word inferior since according to most cruisers, Ruby Princess would be considered inferior. You have your tastes but it doesn't mean the ship is inferior especially since it only half built..

We have never seen anyone walking around an =X= ship with a beeper fretting about when they can get into dinner so that they can get to the show(s). Also have never seen anybody forced to eat in the buffet on formal night because there was an hour-long wait to get into ATD. Per the Princess board on various threads.

Hi, sounds like you are already quite pleased with the product

Princess provides you. I see you posted this over on the Princess

forum as well and not surprisingly I would say most of those folks

say Princess is a better product (they are Princess cruisers).

that you already know you won't be happy with?:eek::confused:

Silhouette is still being built....her sister ships are Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse.

that you already know you won't be happy with?

Not at all. The Silhouette seems to be a real option.

I am not afraid of new ships.

I just need some factual info to make sure...

Otherwise we'll switch to one of two floating docks from FLL.

Celebrity Solstice is leaving Fort Lauderdale (from Ruby Princess):

solsticed.jpg

Lusitanica,

If you think that the Grand-Class or Crown-Class vessels offer a better maritime experience, you are wrong. The Ruby Princess is a ship that has been built specifically for warm-weather cruising, with a hull that was designed with maximizing space as first concern.

The Clebrity Solstice and her sisters has been designed with a HYDRODYNAMIC hull, where the priority lies with seamanners and wave-penetration flow-design.

Solstice has very much better sea-manners than the Princess whales which are not ony ugly but also have notoriously bad sea-manners.

Not that the Solstice-Class is to be compared with the QM2 (now THAT is a "maritime experience) due to her more shallow draft among other things (QM2 is designed specifically for North Atlantic crossings), but she IS the most Maritime advanced ship-class of all Mass-Marked vessels.

Ruby Princess does not have a Forward Observation lounge ( a must for any ship lover).

Solstice and her sisters have also good expanses of Teak decks on her superstructure. Sadly, you are indeed correct that there is no traditional promenade-deck and that the lifeboats block sea views from the one she do provides. A very important SAFETY aspect of that is that boarding lifeboats on Solstice is a lot faster than on Ruby.

Solstice-Class has 2 real working funnels, reminding her passengers of her ancestors of Chandris. Specifically the MV. Britanis. Not a lot of passengers know this but the funnels are extremely handsome in a classical nautical sense. By the way, the Whale tail funnel design of Carnival is coming from the Greatest Ship of All times: The Normandie!:)

Celebrity has always held high her Maritime tradition. Look at the Speciality restaurants on the Millennium Class which all have original artifacts and furnishing from the great Ocean-Liners.

Yours truly,

Despegue

Maritime affecionado

I know what Solstice looks like but thanks for the picture. I have sailed

her as well as all of the other Celebrity ships. I love them all.:)

Your post still sounds to me like you are preparing to be disappointed.

I never said you were afraid to try something else~ I was replying

to your post and how your post came across to me.

Not at all. The Silhouette seems to be a real option.

I am not afraid of new ships.

I just need some factual info to make sure...

Otherwise we'll switch to one of two floating docks from FLL.

Celebrity Solstice is leaving Fort Lauderdale (from Ruby Princess):

solsticed.jpg

What are the floating docks from Fort Lauderdale...

But the shopping carts of Princess are okay to her?:confused:

I cannot comment on Princess (good or bad) because I have never

sailed with them. What shopping carts?

Archived