Solstice class after Ruby Princess - how many steps down?

lusitanica

Lusitanica,

As you are, like me, a ship-lover, you will have to agree that one of the main characteristics for a fine ship is the fact that she has a seperate personality, made by its crew AND INTERIOURS.

As ALL Grand and Crown Class vessels are CARBON COPIES of eachother with the same interiours going as far as copying the artwork, I say that they are glorified ferries. The ferry reference is also valid for their sea handling capabilities, which is another requirement to be a "fine vessel".

I admire your dedication toward Celebrity but I suspect it's comprising your objectivity - Ruby Princess is a 'glorified ferry'....yeah right :D ......

Just dont get this bias toward one particular cruise line?......ive sailed all the major lines and they all have downsides as well as advantages...this applies to X just as it does to Princess...but I defy anyone not be (even slightly) impressed by Ruby Princess

Happy sails.

I admire your dedication toward Celebrity but I suspect it's comprising your objectivity - Ruby Princess is a 'glorified ferry'....yeah right :D ......

Just dont get this bias toward one particular cruise line?......ive sailed all the major lines and they all have downsides as well as advantages...this applies to X just as it does to Princess...but I defy anyone not be (even slightly) impressed by Ruby Princess

Happy sails.

The thing I am still scratching my head about is that the OP is still saying

she is going to be disappointed with Celebrity/Solstice. Why sail a line

if you know before you even sail that you are not going to enjoy it and

are preparing to be disappointed and will be going 2 steps down?:confused::eek:

(their words, not mine).

Now they are hoping Silhoutte will be better but are still preparing for a letdown with her....?

Isn't it amazing how we can all have different experiences (even on the same cruise)? Even though (many years ago), I was a Princess employee, I was not prepared for my experience on the Emerald Princess (sister ship of the Ruby Princess). It was not what I expected and I am certainly not a 'picky customer'. After HAL, Celebrity, Azamara, Cunard and Seabourn it would be hard to convince me to go back to Princess based on my one experience. How unfortunate.

My review is below. Judge for yourself.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=57469

We have had NO other bad experiences other than on Princess. I find this not only odd, but telling. We have since that cruise spent many days on Celebrity and find that they meet our needs and our expectations perfectly.

Thanks for listening.

(their words, not mine).

Now they are hoping Silhoutte will be better but are still preparing for a letdown with her....?

Curious, isn't it?

I get the OP's desire for variety, the interest in sailing a different ship. Maybe Emerald Princess would be more appropriate? Or, if moving to another line, try moving to another mindset first: stop focusing on what's "obviously" inferior (relative to OP's criteria) and accept change as a good thing.

FWIW our first cruise together -- DW's first cruise -- was on Constellation. Still the best cruise we've had. As good as that was, our next cruise was on Grand Princess. Just wanted to see what else was out there. We were disappointed in so many ways... haven't sailed Princess since, and though I'm willing to give Ruby or Emerald a try one of these days, I'd really have to twist DW's arm. Oh and BTW, we still managed to have a good time on Grand Princess (inferior cruise beats land most any day), as we have on other cruises with NCL and Carnival. They are different ships, different products, and we've learned to throw out preconceived notions and enjoy the moment. :)

?

Lois, I thought this thread had died a death, but it's been resurrected and the OP hasn't anything new to say. Best to move on me thinks.

Phil

Lois, I thought this thread had died a death, but it's been resurrected and the OP hasn't anything new to say. Best to move on me thinks.

Phil

Hi Phil, you are right...I will unsubscribe from it now.

Curious, isn't it?

I get the OP's desire for variety, the interest in sailing a different ship. Maybe Emerald Princess would be more appropriate? Or, if moving to another line, try moving to another mindset first: stop focusing on what's "obviously" inferior (relative to OP's criteria) and accept change as a good thing.

You are right.

No repetition. The only exception is the QM2.

"The thing I am still scratching my head about" are frightening lists of cruises with the same and the only cruise line.

The Ruby Princess is a glorious page of our cruise book but we'll never open it again.

More Princess in the future? Sure. But not sooner than their new flagship enters the fleet.

There is no hidden agenda behind my research.

I am simply trying to arrange a pleasant ~10-nt cruise for my co-travellers on a ship that will not disappoint them after the Ruby Princess.

I believe the closest candidate is a Solstice class ship.

But the same thing here. Our cruise on the Silhouette will be the first and the last cruise on a Solstice class ship regardless how beautiful/awful it will turn out to be.

Happy cruising!

Hi Ernie! I just checked out your pictures of the Solstice and wanted to let you know that they are AMAZING! Thank you for taking the time to take them :) I am getting ready to book one of the S class ships for this December and just seeing the pics get me totally excited to book this! Thanks again, Norah :)

I agree about ship design! it matter very high on our scale and both my wife and i thought on our last Princess cruise that it was a floating Shearaton hotel or they were about to film a goldne girls episode from all the brass marble and pastel colors.

Princess has a great product but we prefer Celebrity when it comes to Design, Specialty dining and Service overall.

If you like Princess then stick with it.

Which ship will give you the better experience is really based upon your own likes, desires, preferences, and perceptions.

People can tell you which is better for them, but not which ship/expereince you would like better.

They are both great products. For our tastes, Soltice class (in our case Equinox) is by far the best cruise ship that we have sailed on. But that is only our perception. If you are reluctant to change, then don't and book another Princess. Not really an issue for anyone else except you.

I

I think the "glorified ferry" comment stems from the fact that structurally, as well as aesthetically, the Grand Class and all subsequent modified Grand class ships (excluding Ventura and Azura) are virtually the same ship, similar to the way that ferries are constructed. The comment was not directed at the onboard experience. The major differences between Grand class ships have to do with minor structural changes. Diamond and Sapphire differ slightly from the previous thee Grand class ships, while Caribbean uses the original structural arrangement with an added deck. The Crown, Emerald, and Ruby are the modified Caribbean sisters. Aside from these differences in certain structural arrangements, Princess rarely shakes up the design aside from the art onboard and some of the decor.

The Solstice class follows this trend to a less extreme extent. The decor (colors, fabrics, furniture choices, art) differs between the three existing sisters, with Eclipse having a few more alterations, while Silhouette and Reflection will be structurally different (to an extent).

There are two reasons that the Grand Class receives the majority of negative comments:

- Carnival brands generally repeat successful platforms more often than those of RCI. (11 Grand platforms/5 Solstice). However this may soon change, as the Solstice class may be RCI's new "golden ships." Even if the S-class is not directly cloned, RCI will most likely recycle the basic platform.

- Architecturally, the Solstice class seems a bit more unique than the Grand Class, so copying the design seems less like overkill.

This is an interesting article on the topic of Solstice's design:

http://www.frommers.com/articles/5669.html

Lusitanica, I cannot compare Ruby Princess with Solstice, since I have never sailed on the Ruby Princess. I can, however, tell you what I thought of the food and entertainment on Solstice.

My sailing background is not of the technical detail of yours, nor am I about worrying whether I "insult" my cruising companions by booking them on "inferior" cruise lines. Generally when I vacation, I just enjoy being on vacation and cruising.

That said, my background is 2 sailings on "Big Red Boat" Oceanic- ages ago with family, 2 RCI sailings on Mariner of the Seas and 1 sailing on Solstice.

I thought the food was pretty good on the Solstice. I enjoyed the MDR. I really LOVED specialty restaurant Murano. enjoyed Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grille (but could take or leave either of them).

I was fairly impressed by the buffet area- with the various serving stations. Their breakfast was really nice. I LOVED the various benedicts- crab cake, eggs benedict, etc. The only issue I had with the Oceanview Cafe (buffet area) was that the floors were incredibly slippery after they were mopped and the floors were not well marked. I almost fell a few times. I would have felt really uncomfortable if my elderly grandmother had been there.

The entertainment was okay, but nothing to rave about. The Cirque show was decent for the space they have to operate. We didn't spend a lot of time at stage shows.

Though entertainment in the other venues changes frequently as they have different acts performing- we enjoyed the Ensemble Lounge with a great jazz trio. On our cruising,there was a young piano player- Will Foraker who played with a great bassist named Rob and a drummer whose name escapes me. They were often joined by a brass player named Matt. There whole little act just worked. It's just one of those magical times when the performers just happen to come together well. I don't know where each of the performers is now, but my bet is that if any of them are back on the Solstice- they will be able to recapture some of that magic with another grouping.

Anyhow, like I said- while I am no professional cruiser and have no technical cruising knowledge, I really did enjoy the Solstice and the food was quite good.

I think you meant to say how many steps up would Celebrity be over Princess. Just cruised Princess a few months ago and found the service to be good but a lot of the food inedible. We began eating at the Crown Grill every evening to have edible food. They would not bring us bagels and lox for breakfast on the room service menu and when we went upstairs to check it out it was the "cheap shiny smoked salmon" which I could not eat.

Blech.....

OP: If I said to you, "how much better is your husband's brother to your husband?" Would you be upset? I think that's how people on this Celebrity board feel about the way that you phrased your question. This is my opinion only.

Lusitanica, I cannot compare Ruby Princess with Solstice, since I have never sailed on the Ruby Princess. I can, however, tell you what I thought of the food and entertainment on Solstice.

My sailing background is not of the technical detail of yours, nor am I about worrying whether I "insult" my cruising companions by booking them on "inferior" cruise lines. Generally when I vacation, I just enjoy being on vacation and cruising.

That said, my background is 2 sailings on "Big Red Boat" Oceanic- ages ago with family, 2 RCI sailings on Mariner of the Seas and 1 sailing on Solstice.

I thought the food was pretty good on the Solstice. I enjoyed the MDR. I really LOVED specialty restaurant Murano. enjoyed Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grille (but could take or leave either of them).

I was fairly impressed by the buffet area- with the various serving stations. Their breakfast was really nice. I LOVED the various benedicts- crab cake, eggs benedict, etc. The only issue I had with the Oceanview Cafe (buffet area) was that the floors were incredibly slippery after they were mopped and the floors were not well marked. I almost fell a few times. I would have felt really uncomfortable if my elderly grandmother had been there.

The entertainment was okay, but nothing to rave about. The Cirque show was decent for the space they have to operate. We didn't spend a lot of time at stage shows.

Though entertainment in the other venues changes frequently as they have different acts performing- we enjoyed the Ensemble Lounge with a great jazz trio. On our cruising,there was a young piano player- Will Foraker who played with a great bassist named Rob and a drummer whose name escapes me. They were often joined by a brass player named Matt. There whole little act just worked. It's just one of those magical times when the performers just happen to come together well. I don't know where each of the performers is now, but my bet is that if any of them are back on the Solstice- they will be able to recapture some of that magic with another grouping.

Anyhow, like I said- while I am no professional cruiser and have no technical cruising knowledge, I really did enjoy the Solstice and the food was quite good.

legaljen1969, thank you for your input.

OP: If I said to you, "how much better is your husband's brother to your husband?" Would you be upset? I think that's how people on this Celebrity board feel about the way that you phrased your question. This is my opinion only.

You are absolutely correct in your comments and then to make matters worse he/she comes back in post 127 and continues to make these ridiculous comments. Obviously the general cruising public does not feel this way as the S class ships would be considered several steps up without question. I really can't get too concerned about a posters whos main concern on another cruise was the bathroom fixtures. This whole thread reminds me many years ago of the woman who cancelled her cruise because they served Coke and not Pepsi or the other way around.

The OP wants advice, don't go on any Solstice class ship as you are headed to a disaster of your own making....

I have sailed on both Celebrity and Princess. I really like both, they are very similar. There are a few things I like better about Celebrity, and a few things I like better about Princess. I make my decisions based on itinerary, price, and ease of getting to the embarkation port.

Just got off the Eclipse and have cruised Princess twice. I will agree with DaisyRose. They are similiar and all three cruises were incredible and relaxing experiences. We loved our Celebrity cruise that we just left yesterday but missed some of the things Princess has to offer. So we will base the next trip on destination and price as well.

Having sailed on fifteen different cruise lines and on more then thirty ships I would say I never had a cruise I would not do again. Celebrity Cruises however are happy to welcome you back while I have found that is not nearly as well done on any other line (even after twelve cruises with them).

Enjoy you cruise but if you have never sailed with Celebrity I think you will be well pleased when you do.

Just got off the Eclipse and have cruised Princess twice. I will agree with DaisyRose. They are similiar and all three cruises were incredible and relaxing experiences. We loved our Celebrity cruise that we just left yesterday but missed some of the things Princess has to offer. So we will base the next trip on destination and price as well.

Glad you had a great time.

Could you please be more specific?

Thank you.

Phil

I completely agree with this sentiment. I wish this thread would just die a peaceful death, but unfortunately, it's found legs again. I figure the next time we will hear about this is when OP returns from his destined-to-be-inferior time sailing with Celebrity and informs us how superior Ruby Princess is, yet again.

There is obviously no point in trying to convince the OP that anyone has enjoyed this class of ship. This thread is very strange.:eek:

Ma:

You really have to go back to the beginning and read the review referenced and the same attitude on another board. That was strange but Lois and Infi are absolutely right, this thread needs to just go away. In all my years on this board I have never seen anyone trying so hard to have a bad cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my February issue of Conde Nast's Traveler and read their rankings of the top 80 cruise ships in the world. Ranked # 3 & #4 in the MegaShips category (after Disney Magic and Wonder) are the Solstice and Equinox.

Ruby Princess comes in at #9. Hmmm.

Step up, madam.

Just got my February issue of Conde Nast's Traveler and read their rankings of the top 80 cruise ships in the world. Ranked # 3 & #4 in the MegaShips category (after Disney Magic and Wonder) are the Solstice and Equinox.

Ruby Princess comes in at #9. Hmmm.

Step up, madam.

And since the Disney ships are in a special class, with the Mouse and a jillion kids, that means the Solstice Class are the best in the world for most people.

Which doesn't surprise me.

No gotta go check this out on line.

Archived