Solstice class after Ruby Princess - how many steps down?

lusitanica

We have done 11 Princess cruises although never yet on the Ruby - not sure what could be so different about her but I can tell you from our recent experience on the Celebrity Equinox - it blows any Princess ship we have been on out of the water. While void of much old world decor - the design is brilliant, you don't feel at all crowded, always able to find a table in buffet or a seat at a show, the food is fabulous, the crew (staff and officers) appear genuinely happy with each other and their interaction with passengers. Everyone among the staff seems treated with genuine respect and friendlyness - always a smile and never a bad word about a boss which in our experience is pretty common place on Princess. That makes a difference to the overall vibe of the ship.:)

I think you will find it a step up.

I have cruised on the Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess (because they leave from Brooklyn where I live) and thought that I much preferred Celebrity. After our second princess cruise I still prefer Celebrity but not by as much.

The super grand class ships are very crowded especially in the buffet where you have to search and search for a table even at off times. I can honestly say that I have never felt crowded on a celebrity ship except occasionally on the pool deck on a sea day.

The standard balcony cabins on M and Solstice class ships are superior to the Princess cabins I had, but the princess cabins were acceptable.

The food on my Crown cruise in 2007 was not good and there were 400 kids on the ship so the unpoliced pools were unusable for adults. The observation lounges on Celebrity ships which are at the bow are spectacular spaces- Princess's lounges are much less so.

After a less than satisfactory Caribbean cruise with princess we decided to try again with a New England Cruise in the early fall and were very happily surprised. The ship was still very crowded but we knew it would be and made changes in our normal cruise habits to to improve the situation. We avoided eating in the buffet as much as possible and we planned to get to shows we especially wanted to see early. We thought that the food on the Caribbean Princess was very good in the dining room- as good as the dining room food has been on Celebrity lately which in my opinion is not as good as it used to be. The entertainment was comparable on both lines except of course for the Connie where the incomparable Perry Grant rules.

I still prefer the Celebrity experience but I am now somewhat more likely to take a Princess cruise given the right itinerary and price.

Cruise line preferences are really a matter of taste. I was on an NCL Dawn cruise a few years ago and overheard a woman badmouthing the Connie (still my favorite ship) and saying how much better the Dawn was. I thought she was out of her mind but there is no accounting for taste.

lusitanica, why don't you just go and try the S-Class and see what you think? Sometimes lots of research can leave one more confused than at the start point, especially if as you say you are in a hurry. FWIW I don't find the S-Class floating hotels, just beautiful l ships and they deal with traffic flow very well. Unless you are around the pool deck it's sometimes hard to believe you are on a ship with 2849 other passengers.

Phil

Hi Phil,:) as usual, your post is right on target:)

Hope things across the pond are going well.

I have sailed on both Celebrity and Princess. I really like both, they are very similar. There are a few things I like better about Celebrity, and a few things I like better about Princess. I make my decisions based on itinerary, price, and ease of getting to the embarkation port.

I make my decisions on the same reasons you do. That said the last couple of years Celebrity has been a notch above Princess as far as the food and service. That does not stop me from booking Princess. Princess tends to have better itineraries.

Though I have my doubts about the true intentions of this post, I will add my two cents.

We sail both Princess (platinum) and X (elite) often. We've been on Emerald and Ruby (twice, last in July 2010) and all three S-class ships thus far (just disembarked from Eclipse yesterday). I know everyone has their own tastes in food, entertainment, etc. and favorite lines but there is no way I would ever consider X or S-class a step down from Princess. If anything, it is a lateral step or a step above.

Food, in my opinion, is a cut above on X. Nicer presentation, slightly better quality. Specialty restaurants - I would give the edge to X as well, with unique dishes and fantastic service. Buffet food especially is miles above the awful trough they call the buffet on Princess. OP mentioned the International Cafe on Princess. Cafe al Bacio on S-class is similar, with complimentary pastries and snacks all day long, though no sandwiches. There is also Bistro on 5 for crepes and sandwiches, but there is a $5 fee (well worth it, IMHO). Everything we had there was fantastic.

Entertainment: after our cruise on Eclipse this past week, I will say X has stepped up their entertainment game quite a bit. I always used to give the nod to Princess here (and probably still would, if only by a bit), but X's production show quality has improved and they try to offer more evening options than before (late night comedy, dance parties, etc.) Princess does have more options in the evening, usually a few different things going on at any given time. BUT, some of the entertainment will then repeat the next night. So, I don't know if it's better to have more variety but the same things for multiple nights, or less variety but new things each night. It's all subjective.

It sounds to me like the OP has certain things in mind (wraparound promenade deck, observation deck, etc.) that he needs in order to have a great cruise. S-class does have a promenade deck, but it isn't wraparound. (And to be honest, Princess' promenade decks aren't true wraparound promenades either, as they are split between two levels. Perhaps OP should look at HAL, they have true promenades on all their ships.) There is no observation deck directly above the bridge, but plenty of open forward deck space in front of the AquaSpa, Fun Factory area, and Solstice decks.

If these won't suffice, then perhaps OP should consider another cruise because I doubt they would be happy with X. Vacation time is precious, I wouldn't waste it on a cruise if I had preconceived negative notions or if I knew wouldn't be happy with the line/ship.

I haven't sailed the Ruby, but I have sailed Caribbean & Emerald Princess. I have sailed Solstice.

I found the food to be much better quality on Solstice, and the buffet easier to navigate. Princess, however, offered many more entertainment options (MUTS, piano bar, pre-dinner dancing, activities as an alternate to the big shows), which Solstice was lacking.

What a great comparison of the art/style on Celebrity vs HAL. I think I will use it if someone asks.

Thanks for the compliment. I first thought of it after we took the old HAL New Amsterdam on the Y2K cruise Dec 1999 a year after we sailed on the Galaxy. And now with the Solstice, the comparison has grown even more; the S ships look like they were designed by a dozen of the hottest designers who work in SOHO, South Beach, etc.

We were looking forward to sailing the HAL Noordam out of Manhattan but they pulled the ship after just a year at West 50th Street. The mostly oldsters who sail HAL don't spend a lot on board and the line can't recoup the costs of barreling up and down the Atlantic coast, per my buddy who is a TA and knows people in the business.

I have many clients who cruise and tell me about their experiences on board. Several have complained that every Princess ship looks very similar to the others so they have branched out to different lines, like =X=, HAL and Cunard.

Princess does normally not change its ship décor within the same class. Interiours onboard Crown, Emerald and Ruby are the same, including a lot of the copy artwork. Some details are different: the Atriums room on emerals has some emerald glass and the Ruby's has...ruby details in the glass panels above the atrium. That's almost it.

Keeps the cost down though...

I have many clients who cruise and tell me about their experiences on board. Several have complained that every Princess ship looks very similar to the others so they have branched out to different lines, like =X=, HAL and Cunard.

After over 70 cruises, I do agree with your statement that 'every Princess ship looks very similar to the others.' That is why we cruise other cruise lines, too. Why stay strictly with only 1 cruise line when there are so many other great ones and each cruise line has its own experience. Done Princess, X and RCI this year. All different! Enjoy them all.

I haven't sailed the Ruby, but I have sailed Caribbean & Emerald Princess. I have sailed Solstice.

I found the food to be much better quality on Solstice, and the buffet easier to navigate. Princess, however, offered many more entertainment options (MUTS, piano bar, pre-dinner dancing, activities as an alternate to the big shows), which Solstice was lacking.

Food very subjective. Been on RCI, X and Princess this year. Each one has good food, not great, but good choices. Each one is a different experience. All these lines now are basically 'good/banquet food.' Not what it was 10 years ago when they did not have the Specialty Restaurants. Don't know when anyone had a great steak in the MDR. JMHO!

Food, in my opinion, is a cut above on X. Nicer presentation, slightly better quality. Specialty restaurants - I would give the edge to X as well, with unique dishes and fantastic service. Buffet food especially is miles above the awful trough they call the buffet on Princess. OP mentioned the International Cafe on Princess. Cafe al Bacio on S-class is similar, with complimentary pastries and snacks all day long, though no sandwiches. There is also Bistro on 5 for crepes and sandwiches, but there is a $5 fee (well worth it, IMHO). Everything we had there was fantastic.

Entertainment: after our cruise on Eclipse this past week, I will say X has stepped up their entertainment game quite a bit. I always used to give the nod to Princess here (and probably still would, if only by a bit), but X's production show quality has improved and they try to offer more evening options than before (late night comedy, dance parties, etc.) Princess does have more options in the evening, usually a few different things going on at any given time. BUT, some of the entertainment will then repeat the next night. So, I don't know if it's better to have more variety but the same things for multiple nights, or less variety but new things each night. It's all subjective.

You are right. Everyone has their opinion. Just got off of X and it was good, but not excellent as it was 5 years ago. The Solstice was nice, cabins great, but thought Liberty of the Seas had better entertainment, food, MDR, overall ship, and even service. But, everyone has an opinion. Cruising has changed over the years and it just is not the same. In fact, what is the same as it was years ago. LOL

After over 70 cruises, I do agree with your statement that 'every Princess ship looks very similar to the others.' That is why we cruise other cruise lines, too. Why stay strictly with only 1 cruise line when there are so many other great ones and each cruise line has its own experience. Done Princess, X and RCI this year. All different! Enjoy them all.

Food very subjective. Been on RCI, X and Princess this year. Each one has good food, not great, but good choices. Each one is a different experience. All these lines now are basically 'good/banquet food.' Not what it was 10 years ago when they did not have the Specialty Restaurants. Don't know when anyone had a great steak in the MDR. JMHO!

Have to agree. Some people want to cruise only one line, and they find change difficult. I like a little spice in my life.

And, YEP the food isn't what it was.

We have just returned from Ruby Princess.

Briefly: a true classic cruise ship which follows the best maritime traditions.

Now we are looking at something different but close in class to that level.

Solstice class seems to be the nearest option.

I am doing my homework on Solstice class.

What I see already is that Solstice class is one level below as a ship (unfortunately, just a modern floating hotel, not a ship) and the quality of accommodation (roughly for the same price) will be one level below as well.

I am still in the hope that food and entertainment on Silhouette will not disappoint after Ruby Princess.

Any info (from those happened to be both on Ruby and Solstice class) about food and entertainment on Silhouette (or sister-ships) will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Entertainment: Three giant steps above. You will be able to arrive 5-15 minutes before the show and get a decent seat. Actually, a far as the quality of entertainment Princess might be 1.5 baby steps above. Princess also offers more entertainment at different venues. they all seem to fill up.

Food: One baby step above. I like X food better except for the pizza. Princess excels at pizza. The beef is horrible on both lines IMO.

You will actually be able to get a table in the buffet without having to wait for someone to leave.

Sorry, don't really know where these two items puts your "steps down" asumption.

We are elite on both Princess and Celebrity - have taken more Princess cruises than Celebrity. We have been on all of the Princess ships excluding Sea Princess but have sailed on the Solstice twice which we found to be superior to Princess. The Solstice class ships are also superior to Celebrity's other ships in our opinion. The cabins on the Solstice were superior to Princess in that they all have full size sofas; large flat screen tv's; balconies have reclining lounges and tables large enough to eat on; superior room service with full breakfasts offered daily, not just continental as on Princess; superior food quality in regular dining rooms as to what Princess offers; specialty restaurants far superior to Princess; Elite members are also offered complimentary cocktails and hoer'derves daily from 4-6 which is quite a savings if you enjoy a few cocktails before dinner every evening. They also offer 90 free Internet minutes and 1 bag of complimentary laundry per cruise per person which is less than Princess offers their Elite members. The Princess Grand Class ships are beautiful ships and I do think their entertainment has been superior to Celebrity but all in all I can see why the Solstice ships are rating above Princess.

Thank you for your comment, but it's not a question for me what ship is better.

We enjoyed absolutely fantastic uncomparable wrap-around promenade on Ruby, huge observation deck above the bridge, another one (Deck 19) behind the funnel. Nothing close I expect on Solstice class.

I pay $$$$ for sea travel. Not for staying in a modern hotel.

Ruby simply offers a different (higher) class of cruising in that department.

We had a beautiful mini on Emerald (for three) with excellent view of the ocean - clean board from the bow to the stern, no lifeboats, no obsructions. Nothing comparable on Solstice class for the same price.

So my comparison is now limited to food quality and entertainment.

Thanks a lot.

I am confused? I was on the Caribbean Princess and it was not ship like? It was like a floating early 1900's hotel? its was a good cruise but the solstice class was amazing! and the Lawn club beats a space on princess you need to pay for to have quiet and sit on fake astro turf?

I really do not understand your comments?

Sky syute is amazing

and Aqua class beats a mini suite on princess for the perks alone

Been on Ruby in a suite and Princess in a mini suite and suites. Princess suites have amenities same to AQ room (better lotions and shampoo on Eclipse than suite) and closet wasn't any bigger in our Ruby suite. The Butler service would be a nice touch. Wish the Owners Suites on Ruby were more like the PH or Royal Suite on Eclipse. The AQ room reminded of us a mini-suite on Princess ships. Loved the covered balconies and no smoking in rooms or balconies. The food was better on Princess, although we were in Blu and could only find things to eat 3 of the 7 nights. But the food those nights were better than Princess. The buffet hands down wins, you cannot touch the buffet on Princess. The gelato was better, room service menu is the best. You have to get a chair in the sancutary to come close to all of the pool chairs. DId not notice much smoke at all.

Loved specialty restaurants. X is now our preference and everything was better and a definate step up. Wish more men wore tux's on formal night, more seen on Princess and women in gowns. If you like what Princess has, you will probably not enjoy the Solistice class at it is in a league of its own and you either enjoy it for what it is or you won't be happy.

Good Luck,

We just took our first Celebrity cruise, which was on the Summit, after six cruises on Princess. It was so nice to have a change. There is no way one could mistake a Celebrity ship for one of any other line. We missed the wraparound promenade and the gorgeous atriums of Princess. However, the Summit had the most attractive shopping arcade, reminiscent of a high end arcade in London. The buffet restaurant on the Summit has multiple stations, whereas the Princess buffets don't distinguish themselves in any way. Food quality on Princess and Celebrity are similar, though I think that Princess offers more attractive visual presentation of the food. Entertainment and service are great on both lines.

We have never had a bad cruise. Even the cruise we would rate at the bottom of our list of 19 was very good. The bar is just so high.

So, I would say to the OP, "What do you have to lose by trying a cruise on Celebrity?" Absolutely nothing. The worst that could happen is you may still prefer Princess. We were on an older Celebrity ship that needed considerable exterior work.

In spite of a nod in favor of Princess, there was nothing about our Summit cruise that would deter us from taking another Celebrity cruise. In fact, we have two more Celebrity cruises booked: The Infinity in South America in January 2011 and the Silhouette r/t Bayonne to Caribbean in January 2012. By then it should be time to return to Princess and enjoy their new class of ships premiering in 2013.

For information on what are to be the newest Princess ships, one can check out this press release from Carnival Corp.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1097

Celebrity Solstice was an amazing experience (twice). I have sailed Regent , Seaborn, etc all of which are in a class above Princess and Celebrity and I still think Solstice class is amazing. The attention to detail in the decor alone is superb. The food is among the best I've had at sea. Eclipse next!

Having 10+ Princess Cruises under my belt, plus a wonderful sailing on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE, there is absolutely no comparison. SOLSTICE and her sisters are by far the superior ships.

I have cruised on CROWN PRINCESS (sister to RUBY) and GOLDEN PRINCESS (earlier version of the Grand Class). These ships are comfortable enough, but the overall design is not that impressive and well over 10 years old. The CROWN PRINCESS and her subsequent sisters have an extra deck of cabins and almost 500 more passengers over the previous Grand Class ships. This can equate to crowding in certain areas. Add to that low ceilings, bland decor, paint by numbers art, very small standard staterooms, and numerous revenue producing announcements during the day. If you book a mini-suite, be prepared to have your balcony open to all decks above. In other words, no privacy not to mention objects from the balconies above can end up on your balcony. If you book a standard stateroom, be prepared for something smaller compared to most competitors (no sitting area or couch). Entertainment is ok as is the food, but nothing to really write home about. That great promenade deck you love so much is average at best. It's rather narrow and not teak, but fitted with a rubber surface. If a traditional promenade deck is so important to you, I suggest Cunard or Holland America Line and not Celebrity. There is also no forward facing lounge as you suggest on RUBY PRINCESS. Just the fitness center. The deck above the fitness center is The Sanctuary and you have to pay extra for it. There is a pseudo observation lounge called "Skywalkers", but it's actually aft and has the funnel blocking the forward view. Plus it's pretty much deserted during the day and used as the disco during the night.

In favor of Princess I will say they provide a very consistent product. So much so that once you have sailed on one Princess ship, you have pretty much sailed them all. The bland decor is the same right down to the lighting fixtures and carpet pattern. Princess regulars love this but I find it boring. I think Olive Garden on the high seas. The one thing I do really like about the Grand Class ships are the pool areas. They are top notch and there are plenty of pools to choose from. They are all fresh water and open 24 hours. I used to love the glass enclosed pool, but that was pretty much ruined with the addition of MUTS which blasts cartoons and video games during the day. It used to be a wonderful adult spot.

All this being said, I hardly consider RUBY PRINCESS the best option in the Caribbean as you suggest. Perhaps to you, but certainly not to me and many others. I also find it interesting you make this assumption without have experienced the other ships offered. Very presumptuous.

Regarding the Solstice Class, I personally think they are the best designed and most stunning new ships on the high seas. They are modern, airy, bright, contemporary, first class ships. The public spaces are jaw dropping beautiful and the food, service, and entertainment is first rate (for mass-market/premium ships). The art work onboard actually makes you stop and have a second look. You may not like it, but it will evoke a reaction which to me is a great thing. This is something unheard of on Princess. Art on Princess could easily be transplanted from a non-descript Marriott in Des Moines. It's true there is not a traditional promenade and if this is deal breaker I suggest you go back to Princess. The fact is that no Celebrity ships have a full wrap around promenade deck so this is nothing new for the line. The decks on the Solstice Class are not teak, but they do use a very expensive imitation teak that is the best I've seen. It even has ridges and a texture like teak, and unlike the cheaper rubber substitute it's doesn't get overly hot or slippery. Sure beats the cheap blue plastic found on some Princess decks and most balconies.

Some other things that place Celebrity a notch above Princess ...

- no annoying announcements except one at noon

- unlimited towels by the pool

- higher quality pool deck furniture and all loungers have pads

- champagne at embarkation

- cold towels and sorbet poolside

- superior food quality and presentation (this is subjective)

- a higher level of service in the dining venues

- far more dining options on the Solstice Class

Attached is a link to my photo gallery of CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. It was a joy to take these pictures as the ship was just so stunning. I didn't even take pictures of CROWN PRINCESS because frankly it just wasn't that inspiring.

http://gallery.mac.com/ekroller#100378

Ernie

Having 10+ Princess Cruises under my belt, plus a wonderful sailing on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE, there is absolutely no comparison. SOLSTICE and her sisters are by far the superior ships.

I have cruised on CROWN PRINCESS (sister to RUBY) and GOLDEN PRINCESS (earlier version of the Grand Class). These ships are comfortable enough, but the overall design is not that impressive and well over 10 years old. The CROWN PRINCESS and her subsequent sisters have an extra deck of cabins and almost 500 more passengers over the previous Grand Class ships. This can equate to crowding in certain areas. Add to that low ceilings, bland decor, paint by numbers art, very small standard staterooms, and numerous revenue producing announcements during the day. If you book a mini-suite, be prepared to have your balcony open to all decks above. In other words, no privacy not to mention objects from the balconies above can end up on your balcony. If you book a standard stateroom, be prepared for something smaller compared to most competitors (no sitting area or couch). Entertainment is ok as is the food, but nothing to really write home about. That great promenade deck you love so much is average at best. It's rather narrow and not teak, but fitted with a rubber surface. If a traditional promenade deck is so important to you, I suggest Cunard or Holland America Line and not Celebrity. There is also no forward facing lounge as you suggest on RUBY PRINCESS. Just the fitness center. The deck above the fitness center is The Sanctuary and you have to pay extra for it. There is a pseudo observation lounge called "Skywalkers", but it's actually aft and has the funnel blocking the forward view. Plus it's pretty much deserted during the day and used as the disco during the night.

In favor of Princess I will say they provide a very consistent product. So much so that once you have sailed on one Princess ship, you have pretty much sailed them all. The bland decor is the same right down to the lighting fixtures and carpet pattern. Princess regulars love this but I find it boring. I think Olive Garden on the high seas. The one thing I do really like about the Grand Class ships are the pool areas. They are top notch and there are plenty of pools to choose from. They are all fresh water and open 24 hours. I used to love the glass enclosed pool, but that was pretty much ruined with the addition of MUTS which blasts cartoons and video games during the day. It used to be a wonderful adult spot.

All this being said, I hardly consider RUBY PRINCESS the best option in the Caribbean as you suggest. Perhaps to you, but certainly not to me and many others. I also find it interesting you make this assumption without have experienced the other ships offered. Very presumptuous.

Regarding the Solstice Class, I personally think they are the best designed and most stunning new ships on the high seas. They are modern, airy, bright, contemporary, first class ships. The public spaces are jaw dropping beautiful and the food, service, and entertainment is first rate (for mass-market/premium ships). The art work onboard actually makes you stop and have a second look. You may not like it, but it will evoke a reaction which to me is a great thing. This is something unheard of on Princess. Art on Princess could easily be transplanted from a non-descript Marriott in Des Moines. It's true there is not a traditional promenade and if this is deal breaker I suggest you go back to Princess. The fact is that no Celebrity ships have a full wrap around promenade deck so this is nothing new for the line. The decks on the Solstice Class are not teak, but they do use a very expensive imitation teak that is the best I've seen. It even has ridges and a texture like teak, and unlike the cheaper rubber substitute it's doesn't get overly hot or slippery. Sure beats the cheap blue plastic found on some Princess decks and most balconies.

Some other things that place Celebrity a notch above Princess ...

- no annoying announcements except one at noon

- unlimited towels by the pool

- higher quality pool deck furniture and all loungers have pads

- champagne at embarkation

- cold towels and sorbet poolside

- superior food quality and presentation (this is subjective)

- a higher level of service in the dining venues

- far more dining options on the Solstice Class

Attached is a link to my photo gallery of CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. It was a joy to take these pictures as the ship was just so stunning. I didn't even take pictures of CROWN PRINCESS because frankly it just wasn't that inspiring.

http://gallery.mac.com/ekroller#100378

Ernie

Enjoyed your photos. But I now feel frustrated because there were areas that we never got around to photographing on our June cruise. The answer, of course, is to book the Silhouette when it comes to Bayonne in 2011! :D

Your comments were dead on analyzing the decor of Princess.

Thanks for posting Ernie. We sailed the ship this past august and loved it so much we booked Eclipse for January and we were confirmed small ship cruisers(twice on Seadream, five times on Windstar, twice on Silversea, once on Regent).Your photos are excellent! We did the eastern itinerary and will be doing the Western on Eclipse.

Having 10+ Princess Cruises under my belt, plus a wonderful sailing on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE..

Thank you for the photos.

I saw them before. It's nice to see them again.

I can comment on every detail in your post about the Ruby (you know from Epic discussion that I have 10 videos and 20 photos behind every word I post on CC) but this is not a Princess thread.

Just 2 things.

1. It sounds to me like you are talking about a different ship, not the Ruby.

2. I am very positive to a cruise on a Solstice class ship. We enjoyed every minute on the Ruby - a beautiful cruise ship, warm like home, very nautical, full of sea air. We had the best balcony cabin at sea for three at a reasonable price (mini on Emerald) with a large covered balcony and a spectacular unobstructed view of the ocean. We enjoyed 4 shows in the main theatre plus various entertainment in smaller venues. 7 days on Ruby were 24/7 culinary festival.

We are not planning to travel on the same ship twice.

So we are looking for something adequate to what we had on Ruby.

Solstice class seems to be the closest option.

Promenades on the Ruby Princess:

promenade11.jpg

promenade22.jpg

Thank you for the photos.

I saw them before. It's nice to see them again.

I can comment every detail in your post about the Ruby (you know from Epic discussion that I have 10 videos and 20 photos behind every word I post on CC) but this is not a Princess thread.

Just 2 things.

1. It sounds to me like you are talking about a different ship, not the Ruby.

2. I am very positive to a cruise on a Solstice class ship. We enjoyed every minute on the Ruby - a beautiful cruise ship, warm like home, very nautical, full of sea air. We had the best balcony cabin at sea for three at a reasonable price (mini on Emerald) with a large covered balcony and a spectacular unobstructed view of the ocean. We enjoyed 4 shows in the main theatre plus various entertainment in smaller venues. 7 days on Ruby were 24/7 culinary festival.

We are not planning to travel on the same ship twice.

So we are looking for something adequate to what we had on Ruby.

Solstice class seems to be the closest option.

Absolutely talking about the RUBY and her Grand Class sisters. Big Yawn IMO. The decor that you consider nautical and warm, I consider boring and contrived. As I mentioned before, it evokes no emotion what so ever. Princess is VERY careful to always play it safe. Olive Garden gone to sea. Been on one Princess ship, been on them all.

Also, I consider the Promenade Deck to be narrow when compared to other ships I have sailed (even those on Royal Caribbean), and of course there is the rubber decking. Your last picture is a little deceiving. It's of the bow and the picture has the appearance of the deck being wider than it is. Also, you can't sit in this area as there are no chairs and the side promenades are too narrow for traditional steamer loungers. Attached are some pictures of truly exquisite promenade decks. Again, if these are of such great importance to you I highly suggest Holland America (a very traditional cruise line) and Cunard (even more traditional).

Celebrity is not a "warm and fuzzy" cruise line and feels very different than Princess. You will be disappointed if you are expecting traditional. Celebrity is much more contemporary, modern, and eclectic. Many people that like Princess actually find Celebrity decor to be cold. Just a word of warning so be sure you have your expectations in line.

I'm not sure what kind of mini-suite you had, but almost all mini-suites on the Princess Grand Class are open to the decks above and are located on Dolphin Deck.

Regarding the food and entertainment, that is all subjective. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I found it adequate and for the most part, not memorable. This is not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I honestly don't recall any of the shows or specific meals on Princess. I do recall several of the meals on SOLSTICE and one show in particular that was excellent.

I just got of HAL's newest ship, NIEUW AMSTERDAM just last week. Based upon everything you have written, I would seriously consider this ship over the Solstice Class. I think it's more what you are looking for, especially if you enjoyed Princess so much.

Ernie

QM2 Promenade Deck - It's wide, wrap-around, and 100% teak.

web.jpg?ver=11962854160001

NIEUW AMSTERDAM - all teak and full wrap around

web.jpg?ver=12897625420001

DISNEY WONDER - full wrap around and teak - not quite as wide as some

web.jpg?ver=12578792780001

FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - it's not teak but it's lovely and wide, and wrap around - you can even walk all the way to the bow

web.jpg?ver=11959421190001

MAASDAM - traditional teak and wrap-around

web.jpg?ver=11964577850001

Attached is a pic from my balcony on CROWN PRINCESS on Dolphin Deck. This is a typical mini-suite balcony. It's completely open to all the balconies above. There are a few mini-suites on Emerald Deck (I think 12 total) that have covered balconies, so perhaps you had one of these? If so, it was not typical for this ship as a good 90% of the mini-suites have open balconies to the decks above.

Ernie

web.jpg?ver=11960437810001

Archived