Solstice class after Ruby Princess - how many steps down?

lusitanica

Lusitanica,

If you think that the Grand-Class or Crown-Class vessels offer a better maritime experience, you are wrong. The Ruby Princess is a ship that has been built specifically for warm-weather cruising, with a hull that was designed with maximizing space as first concern.

The Clebrity Solstice and her sisters has been designed with a HYDRODYNAMIC hull, where the priority lies with seamanners and wave-penetration flow-design.

Solstice has very much better sea-manners than the Princess whales which are not ony ugly but also have notoriously bad sea-manners.

Not that the Solstice-Class is to be compared with the QM2 (now THAT is a "maritime experience) due to her more shallow draft among other things (QM2 is designed specifically for North Atlantic crossings), but she IS the most Maritime advanced ship-class of all Mass-Marked vessels.

Ruby Princess does not have a Forward Observation lounge ( a must for any ship lover).

Solstice and her sisters have also good expanses of Teak decks on her superstructure. Sadly, you are indeed correct that there is no traditional promenade-deck and that the lifeboats block sea views from the one she do provides. A very important SAFETY aspect of that is that boarding lifeboats on Solstice is a lot faster than on Ruby.

Solstice-Class has 2 real working funnels, reminding her passengers of her ancestors of Chandris. Specifically the MV. Britanis. Not a lot of passengers know this but the funnels are extremely handsome in a classical nautical sense. By the way, the Whale tail funnel design of Carnival is coming from the Greatest Ship of All times: The Normandie!:)

Celebrity has always held high her Maritime tradition. Look at the Speciality restaurants on the Millennium Class which all have original artifacts and furnishing from the great Ocean-Liners.

Yours truly,

Despegue

Maritime affecionado

Thank you for your input regarding Solstice class.

Note. Whale tail funnel design of Carnival resembles the France, not the Normandie.

The outsides of the Grand class look like shopping carts at least they do to me.

Wrona, when we were on the Grand, which has the Skywalker Bar at the very rear, I called it the shopping cart handle, back in 1999.

Oasis and Allure.

The Oasis and Allure viewed from above via a helicopter look more streamlined then the grands or super-grands. And the structure supporting Skywalker blocks the sun from the rear pool deck.

So far beepers have not been reported on the Oasis.

I am still in the hope that food and entertainment on Silhouette will not disappoint after Ruby Princess.

Any info (from those happened to be both on Ruby and Solstice class) about food and entertainment on Silhouette (or sister-ships) will be appreciated.

Thank you.

In fairness, the OP's question was to ask for a comparison about food and entertainment, Ruby vs. S-class. We have not offered much to answer those questions, except to say Celebrity is better, without offering much in the line of specifics.

We found the food in the MDRs to be comparable. I couldn't say I was especially impressed with the food from either line, which is to say I didn't find a meal for which I was inspired to say, "I can't wait until I can have this meal again." I enjoyed most every meal, though I recall being disappointed by at least one meal on both ships-- likely nothing wrong with the food or preparation, just not what I was expecting. DW fell in love with the chocolate cake available at the International Cafe on Ruby, and was disappointed she could not find its equivalent on Solstice. We had one bad "express breakfast" on Solstice-- eggs were runny, food was cold. We were in a hurry to get to a shore excursion (which is why we wanted a fast breakfast in the first place), so did not ask to have it rectified. I'm sure if we had asked, though, it would have been made good. Regarding the buffets, I felt Ruby had a bit of an edge as to variety and quality, but I liked having a sundae bar available throughout the day on Solstice, not just a few flavors of ice cream for a couple of hours. And I have already spoken of the bratwurst.

We only attended a few shows, but I'd give Princess the slight edge, based on what we saw. One performance on Solstice involving what I can only describe as a comic mime interlude was a bit painful to watch, but that was the only black mark. Neither ship presented entertainment that was Broadway quality, but both came close.

Please bear in mind I still consider myself a rookie cruiser, and would defer to others with more experience. I don't claim our experiences are representative, but the OP asked for any information regarding food and entertainment. He was in hopes the food and entertainment on Silhouette would not disappoint after Ruby, and I'd say neither will. Not the same or even necessarily better, but I doubt he will be disappointed. Unfortunately, his other comments about the purported superiority of Ruby over S-class ships has colored others' responses and somewhat prevented them from answering the questions being asked. Maybe others with more experience can comment more thoroughly on the specifics of the cuisine or entertainment.

DJK - i'm thinking perhaps it's a language issue - ESL perhaps?

Party - the problem with answering the OP's question is that those two subjects are completely subjective. I may like 5 star dining, trying new things, and feel that Celebrity has the best food. I might like cirque du solei performances and broadway shows and feel that celebrity has the best entertainment. Someone else may not like any of that and think Princess is the best thing.

So unless you can find someone with similar tastes in food and entertainment to you, that has tried both lines....giving an accurate comparison is damn near impossible.

I had terrible food on my princess cruise. So much so that it was shocking to me. It made me wonder if it was just my particular cruise had a glitch because I've read plenty of people think the food on princess is fantastic.

Hopefully someone here can answer the op's question but I doubt that there will be a way to satisfactorily do so.

If you're looking for a more classic cruise ship design, Disney ships fit the bill. Their new ships which will be out in 2011 and 2012 have more suites.

Yes but if they don't like celebrity's prices for larger cabins they really won't like Disney prices.

I'm shocked by your post! I'm an Elite Princess cruiser and love what they do, but I cannot possibly say the Ruby Princess, or any other Princess ship is better than the Solstice Class ships on Celebrity. IMHO, and with all due respect to Princess, Celebrity outdoes them in most areas.... The food options are superior and the quality is better, the entertainment is top notch, the gym is excellent, the level of sophistication is higher.... The ships are elegant and classy, the whole ambience is a step up from Princess's mass market yet comfortable appeal....

I really, really like Princess and the package they offer, but would honestly score Celebrity higher in almost every area. Princess cabins are slightly bigger and Celebrity is pretty stingy in that area. However, Celebrity cabins are modern and classy in design. I like both lines enormously, but have to give Celebrity the edge. The Ruby is a lovely ship, but she's no Solstice class ship and none are any of her sisters..... The Solstice class ships are truly ships for the 21st century.... Maybe HAL would be more your style, if you want that traditional ambience. Celebrity is what it is and does it VERY well.

This poster seems to be familiar with both cruise products and I would accept her word if I ws considering Solstice. But her answer is not the answer that the OP is looking for so...................

DJK - i'm thinking perhaps it's a language issue - ESL perhaps?

Party - the problem with answering the OP's question is that those two subjects are completely subjective. I may like 5 star dining, trying new things, and feel that Celebrity has the best food. I might like cirque du solei performances and broadway shows and feel that celebrity has the best entertainment. Someone else may not like any of that and think Princess is the best thing.

So unless you can find someone with similar tastes in food and entertainment to you, that has tried both lines....giving an accurate comparison is damn near impossible.

I had terrible food on my princess cruise. So much so that it was shocking to me. It made me wonder if it was just my particular cruise had a glitch because I've read plenty of people think the food on princess is fantastic.

Hopefully someone here can answer the op's question but I doubt that there will be a way to satisfactorily do so.

Yes, food and entertainment can be subjective.

Nevertheless...

As an example, below is a brief description that gives a general idea of what is going on.

We had same menu every day in the MDR on Epic /completely new menu on Ruby every day, same selection every day in the buffet on Epic/ selection changed twice a day on Ruby, afternoon tea on Ruby/nothing on Epic, a few boring muffins in the atrium cafe on Epic/ it's hard to list everything in the atrium cafe on Ruby, 2 shows in the theatre on NCL/ 4 shows on Ruby...

Even without going into details - you get the picture.

So unless you can find someone with similar tastes in food and entertainment to you, that has tried both lines....giving an accurate comparison is @#!*% near impossible.

Sure, it's subjective, and that's why I tried to qualify my summary by saying that this was our admittedly limited experience. But with many such opinions, it's possible to at least approach a consensus. The OP now knows that I felt the food was comparable and you found it superior. If the OP gets enough anecdotal evidence that the food and entertainment is equivalent, if not superior, s/he may conclude that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Moreover, I was attempting to bring the discussion back to the original topic, which got lost in the discussion of which ships look like shopping carts, in large part due to the side comments made in the original post.

We found the food in the MDRs to be comparable. I couldn't say I was especially impressed with the food from either line, which is to say I didn't find a meal for which I was inspired to say, "I can't wait until I can have this meal again." I enjoyed most every meal, though I recall being disappointed by at least one meal on both ships-- likely nothing wrong with the food or preparation, just not what I was expecting. DW fell in love with the chocolate cake available at the International Cafe on Ruby, and was disappointed she could not find its equivalent on Solstice. We had one bad "express breakfast" on Solstice-- eggs were runny, food was cold. We were in a hurry to get to a shore excursion (which is why we wanted a fast breakfast in the first place), so did not ask to have it rectified. I'm sure if we had asked, though, it would have been made good. Regarding the buffets, I felt Ruby had a bit of an edge as to variety and quality, but I liked having a sundae bar available throughout the day on Solstice, not just a few flavors of ice cream for a couple of hours. And I have already spoken of the bratwurst.

We only attended a few shows, but I'd give Princess the slight edge, based on what we saw. One performance on Solstice involving what I can only describe as a comic mime interlude was a bit painful to watch, but that was the only black mark. Neither ship presented entertainment that was Broadway quality, but both came close.

Please bear in mind I still consider myself a rookie cruiser, and would defer to others with more experience. I don't claim our experiences are representative, but the OP asked for any information regarding food and entertainment. He was in hopes the food and entertainment on Silhouette would not disappoint after Ruby, and I'd say neither will. Not the same or even necessarily better, but I doubt he will be disappointed.

Thank you.

Sure, it's subjective, and that's why I tried to qualify my summary by saying that this was our admittedly limited experience. But with many such opinions, it's possible to at least approach a consensus. The OP now knows that I felt the food was comparable and you found it superior. If the OP gets enough anecdotal evidence that the food and entertainment is equivalent, if not superior, s/he may conclude that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Totally agree.

Usually I thoroughly study reviews and other sources.

This time I am a bit on a hurry with booking, so I decided to ask.

Thank you for taking time to answer.

Yes, food and entertainment can be subjective.

Nevertheless...

As an example, below is a brief description that gives a general idea of what is going on.

We had same menu every day in the MDR on Epic /completely new menu on Ruby every day, same selection every day in the buffet on Epic/ selection chaged twice a day on Ruby, afternoon tea on Ruby/nothing on Epic, a few boring muffins in the atrium cafe on Epic/ it's hard to list everything in the atrium cafe on Ruby, 2 shows in the theatre on NCL/ 4 shows on Ruby...

Even without going into details - you get the picture.

NCL has evolved into an a la carte cruise line. You pay a low basic price and then have to pay extra anytime you want a decent meal. They don't want the cruiser to have a good time in the MDR, they want you to go to an upcharge restaurant every night.

NCL was looking to lure the club crowd to the Epic. Blue Man Group, Ice Bar, etc. The city hipster crowd looks down it's nose at the cruise business so if you are looking for a traditional cruise experience on the Epic you are at the wrong place.

My feeling on the Solstice is that it is the MOMA at sea, while the equivalent HAL line is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, full of old masters. Anybody familiar with the Manhattan art scene will be familiar with these references.

You pay a low basic price and then have to pay extra anytime you want a decent meal. They don't want the cruiser to have a good time in the MDR, they want you to go to an upcharge restaurant every night.

Agree, except for "low basic price". The Epic price is neither low, nor basic.

As I mentioned above, roughly same price for three of us on Ruby.

A substandard product for the full price with extra charge for "decent meal".

Agree, except for "low basic price". The Epic price is neither low, nor basic.

As I mentioned above, roughly same price for three of us on Ruby.

A substandard product for the full price with extra charge for "decent meal".

Epic is new so NCL can get top dollar. The older smaller NCL ships start out much cheaper and then shoot up when you eat most nights in the many surcharge restaurants. This is how the cruiselines make their money, on board spending.

lusitanica, why don't you just go and try the S-Class and see what you think? Sometimes lots of research can leave one more confused than at the start point, especially if as you say you are in a hurry. FWIW I don't find the S-Class floating hotels, just beautiful l ships and they deal with traffic flow very well. Unless you are around the pool deck it's sometimes hard to believe you are on a ship with 2849 other passengers.

Phil

lusitanica, why don't you just go and try the S-Class and see what you think? Sometimes lots of research can leave one more confused than at the start point, especially if as you say you are in a hurry. FWIW I don't find the S-Class floating hotels, just beautiful l ships and they deal with traffic flow very well. Unless you are around the pool deck it's sometimes hard to believe you are on a ship with 2849 other passengers.Phil

I have just read all through the posts here, and formulated my responses to several comments,.......... and then I read this last post.

What sensible, concise comments...!! .......no more need be said .

NCL has evolved into an a la carte cruise line. You pay a low basic price and then have to pay extra anytime you want a decent meal. They don't want the cruiser to have a good time in the MDR, they want you to go to an upcharge restaurant every night.

NCL was looking to lure the club crowd to the Epic. Blue Man Group, Ice Bar, etc. The city hipster crowd looks down it's nose at the cruise business so if you are looking for a traditional cruise experience on the Epic you are at the wrong place.

My feeling on the Solstice is that it is the MOMA at sea, while the equivalent HAL line is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, full of old masters. Anybody familiar with the Manhattan art scene will be familiar with these references.

Excellent response.

Even though I have limited experience of MOMA and the Metropolitan I think it an apt comparison.

I just need some factual info to make sure.../QUOTE]

Your request for "factual info" is particularly odd because what you are asking about (food and entertainment) begs opinion rather than fact. Notwithstanding, it appears your mind was made up long before you decided to post. For the most part, you've either discounted or summarily dismissed attempts to assist you, and it's clear that you do not wish to be confused by the "facts" or opinions offered by others, because only those offered by you appear to have any merit. Your love affair with Ruby is...shall we say, admirable. Stick with Ruby - any other ship is bound to fall short of her perfection and will disappoint you.

Hello Don:)...I am guessing the OP does not like the look of the S

Class ships....ya think?:eek:

I don't know what to say except that this thread as someone else said is utter nonsense, I read the threads on the Epic and to come on here and be deliberately provacative.What happened to the days when you went on a cruise to enjoy yourself, complaining and taking movies of a sink, how silly. This is a receipe for failure. I'm done, have a nice day...

We are partial to "S" class & have not experienced Ruby, so can't compare the ships......and Epic is not a very appealing looking ship if tradition is what is sought---

We are booked on Crown Princess for a British Isles cruise this summer. It is pricier than X for a lesser stateroom, & we are not expecting anything even close in terms of food, elegance & service, unless we pay for the extra dining options. there's no crowding at the buffet area on S class... We wanted the itin. so that was how we made the choice.

Some overall diff we have found so far: are that on "X" you can book & pay for your excursions and Specialty dining ahead of the cruise to avoid a bigger shipbd acct bill.

Princess does not list prices for excursions until booking for them is open.

Celebrity does not require extra payment to enjoy the Solstice deck or the indoor pool areas versus a upcharge for the Sanctuary area.....

from reading the Princess board, seems to be more competition to book the extra cost Sanctuary area & specialty dinig & chef's table as soon as you can, whereas on X, just about everyone can be accomodated for things they want to experience.

We are looking forward to the Princess cruise & would not go if we had a strong bias against the ship or cruise line......Seems OP will not be happy on anything but Princess if he has his mind already made up in the negative!...

What a great comparison of the art/style on Celebrity vs HAL. I think I will use it if someone asks.

Archived