Live from the Brilliance - at 3:45 am all H*** broke loose!

dirtgirl

My friend is on this cruise and posted on Facebook this morning that they had 30 ft waves, 73 miles an hour wind and the ship rolled 20 degrees.

Eeek, that is scary :eek:. We had like 30 miles per hour winds once and the ship was rocking slightly and I found that scary.

I can't imagine what everyone has gone through

Dirtgirl and roomie, I'm glad you're both ok. Let's hope everyone will stay that way.

Cindy

Yes, weather does happen, however, when you skip a port or miss something like Egypt on a Med cruise, one would hope that maybe you could get a discount on a future cruise or something like that. I know for us, we are scheduled on the next cruise and Egypt is one of the highlights and we would/will be extrememly disappointed if we miss it. I know that RCCL is not in control of the weather, and I agree that it looks like they did all they could and were very attentive to customers, I am just looking at it from the sheer disappointment of missing a major port due to weather. I am glad everyone on the ship is OK though.

Also, the Captain obviously knew the weather was very bad. He ELECTED to slow down for traffic knowing that the stabilizers would not be effective at the slow speed. The safe thing to do would be to turn around and stay out at sea with the speed to keep effective stabilizers.

Yes the weather was an act of God buy the decision to slow down to a point where the stabilizers were not effective was the Captain's.

Also, the Captain obviously knew the weather was very bad. He ELECTED to slow down for traffic knowing that the stabilizers would not be effective at the slow speed. The safe thing to do would be to turn around and stay out at sea with the speed to keep effective stabilizers.

Yes the weather was an act of God buy the decision to slow down to a point where the stabilizers were not effective was the Captain's.

Sorry, but entering the port area he has to slow down...

steamboats

Thanks everybody for all the info. My wife andI are slated for the 12day cruise leaving the 17th on this ship and without this site would have never had a clue what had transpired. Please keep us informed on the shape of the ship and if you think this will impact the up-coming cruises in any way. Thanks again and try to enjoy the rest of the cruise!

We are scheduled to be on the next cruise on the 17th...any word if the ship will be able to travel or do any of you think they will cancel the cruise?? The RCCL site is not selling any tickets for this next cruise on the 17th. Any thoughts out there??

We were just told by a bartender that the ship will go into drydock for 2 weeks upon return to Barcelona and that the Dec. 17 cruise will be canceled. We're not surprised. Obviously RCCL is downplaying the "incident" but there is extensive damage to the interior including the salon, spa, dining rooms and many other common areas, including shattered glass elevator doors, holes in the wall, etc. An estimated 25 percent of cabin TVs flew from their cabinets and were destroyed. Many cabins are without electricity. More than 100 chairs and several tables were shattered in the main dining room, and regular dining service has not been re-established as of noon ship time on Monday, Dec. 13. RCCL has offered guests $200 shipboard credit. At least one guest letter circulating criticizes this "nominal" amount. As an 18-time cruiser who has experienced the wide range of "normal" rough sea activity, this incident was nothing of the sort. At approximately 3 a.m., the ship listed side to side about 30 degrees at least 4 times. The 7 x 4 feet closet door in our balcony cabin ripped from its hinges and flew across the room. The king bed slid across the cabin as if on wheels. The minibar contents smashed against the front door, along with the glasses, leaving broken glass all over the floor. The bed ended up perpendicular to where it started. The entire contents of the medicine cabinet were all over the bathroom, including shattered cologne bottles. Both nightstands, made of heavy wood, ended up across the room, as did the wood cocktail table. My wife narrowly missed being hit by the airborne closet door, which weighs 50+ pounds and easily could have killed her had it struck her head. Repeated "booms" against the side of the ship were later reported to be deck chairs from several stories above hitting the lifeboats below. The captain admitted in his first address within 30 minutes of the incident that a "mistake" had been made by slowing down in harbor traffic, causing the stabilizers to disengage. It is incredible -- if not miraculous -- that no one was killed by this error. Likely the captain was not at the controls at the time, given the hour. Before the captain's first PA announcement, my wife and I crawled in the darkness into the bathroom, dressed, donned our lifejackets and prepared for the worst. To say we thought the ship could conceivably capsize is not an overstatement. We remained huddled in the bathroom for 3 hours, until daylight. Two days later, we continue to endure 50+ knot winds and choppy sea en route to Malta, but the ship's movement is minimal contrasted to that nightware we awakened to. The mood aboard the ship is somber but thankful given that the injuries were mostly minor. (Word is the piano player has a broken nose, and you see the occasional stitches and splints.) We consider ourselves to be very reasonable travelers and don't blame RCCL or any other line for acts of nature. But by his own admission, the captain described the incident as a "mistake" more than once. The crew has been largely tireless in cleaning/repairing, but more than a few admit they have never experienced anything like this and that they "wish this cruise would just be over." We remain thankful, but shocked, that no one lost their life. We also are saddened that we won't be seeing Egypt, which was the highlight of this itinerary, and feel that a substantial discount on a future cruise would be reasonable. This terrifying experience won't scare us from future cruises, but we have a newfound respect for the power of the sea -- and for the engineering marvels of modern shipbuilding, including ship stabilizers, which if they aren't engaged can make grown men feel like rag dolls flung to and fro by an angry Mother Nature.

Isn't it odd that whenever a cruise ship has to cancel a port of call because of weather - a decision taken for safety reasons - it's always at the "We only booked this cruise to see [insert port name here]" highlight of the itinerary, and inevitably followed by demands for com-pen-saaay-shun.

Isn't it odd that whenever a cruise ship has to cancel a port of call because of weather - a decision taken for safety reasons - it's always at the "We only booked this cruise to see [insert port name here]" highlight of the itinerary, and inevitably followed by demands for com-pen-saaay-shun.

Not really. Egypt is the highlight for most people on that itinerary. It's a destination many dream of seeing all their lives. Out of all of our cruises, Egypt has been the most impressive destination.

I'd hope RCI will offer another cruise or a greatly discounted cruise to the passengers. Gestures like that go a long way in the PR department. With all the damage to the ship, there were probably many personal items (laptops, netbooks, cameras, ereaders, etc.) that were damaged too.

This is my first time posting on the RCL boards. Just wanted to say glad everyone is ok and very sorry to hear this happen to anyone. Also i must say all boards are the same because the same complaining and unrealistic blame and wants are here too. And i thought it was just the other boards:DI just watched video of this on the news....very bad damage again my prayers and thoughts are with you.

Dear friends:

I always thought the pianos on a cruise ship were bolted down to the floor (except for perhaps a piano they might use for guest entertainers in the main theater).

So how do we get grand pianos crashing through the windows?

In any case, it sounds like a horrible situation and I hope all passengers and crew are safe and sound.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Carol - Len and I have been out today and just got home. All day long I've been thinking about this being the first day in Cairo and now I find out everyone had to go through this and on top of it miss Egypt completely. I'm so glad to hear there were no serious injuries. Please let everyone know our thoughts and prayers are with them and we hope the rest of the cruise is uneventful and safe.

Thanks so much - will do.

We were just told by a bartender that the ship will go into drydock for 2 weeks upon return to Barcelona and that the Dec. 17 cruise will be canceled. We're not surprised. Obviously RCCL is downplaying the "incident" but there is extensive damage to the interior including the salon, spa, dining rooms and many other common areas, including shattered glass elevator doors, holes in the wall, etc. An estimated 25 percent of cabin TVs flew from their cabinets and were destroyed. Many cabins are without electricity. More than 100 chairs and several tables were shattered in the main dining room, and regular dining service has not been re-established as of noon ship time on Monday, Dec. 13. RCCL has offered guests $200 shipboard credit. At least one guest letter circulating criticizes this "nominal" amount. As an 18-time cruiser who has experienced the wide range of "normal" rough sea activity, this incident was nothing of the sort. At approximately 3 a.m., the ship listed side to side about 30 degrees at least 4 times. The 7 x 4 feet closet door in our balcony cabin ripped from its hinges and flew across the room. The king bed slid across the cabin as if on wheels. The minibar contents smashed against the front door, along with the glasses, leaving broken glass all over the floor. The bed ended up perpendicular to where it started. The entire contents of the medicine cabinet were all over the bathroom, including shattered cologne bottles. Both nightstands, made of heavy wood, ended up across the room, as did the wood cocktail table. My wife narrowly missed being hit by the airborne closet door, which weighs 50+ pounds and easily could have killed her had it struck her head. Repeated "booms" against the side of the ship were later reported to be deck chairs from several stories above hitting the lifeboats below. The captain admitted in his first address within 30 minutes of the incident that a "mistake" had been made by slowing down in harbor traffic, causing the stabilizers to disengage. It is incredible -- if not miraculous -- that no one was killed by this error. Likely the captain was not at the controls at the time, given the hour. Before the captain's first PA announcement, my wife and I crawled in the darkness into the bathroom, dressed, donned our lifejackets and prepared for the worst. To say we thought the ship could conceivably capsize is not an overstatement. We remained huddled in the bathroom for 3 hours, until daylight. Two days later, we continue to endure 50+ knot winds and choppy sea en route to Malta, but the ship's movement is minimal contrasted to that nightware we awakened to. The mood aboard the ship is somber but thankful given that the injuries were mostly minor. (Word is the piano player has a broken nose, and you see the occasional stitches and splints.) We consider ourselves to be very reasonable travelers and don't blame RCCL or any other line for acts of nature. But by his own admission, the captain described the incident as a "mistake" more than once. The crew has been largely tireless in cleaning/repairing, but more than a few admit they have never experienced anything like this and that they "wish this cruise would just be over." We remain thankful, but shocked, that no one lost their life. We also are saddened that we won't be seeing Egypt, which was the highlight of this itinerary, and feel that a substantial discount on a future cruise would be reasonable. This terrifying experience won't scare us from future cruises, but we have a newfound respect for the power of the sea -- and for the engineering marvels of modern shipbuilding, including ship stabilizers, which if they aren't engaged can make grown men feel like rag dolls flung to and fro by an angry Mother Nature.

If there was a mistake by the crew then I understand passengers being unhappy with $200 OBC. If there was not mistake by crew (which doesn't seem to be the case here) then I think the OBC is sufficient.

I'm posting just to provide a comparison. When the Explorer dinged her propeller in 2008, I was on the following cruise. San Juan was cancelled and each passenger was give $75 OBC, which was $150/cabin. That situation was hardly in the same ballpark as what folks experienced on the Brilliance.

Yes, however he did not have to enter it. I think we can all agree that the ship would be in better shape if he skipped Alexandria!!

From todays point of view: definitely!!

I always thought the pianos on a cruise ship were bolted down to the floor

No, they aren´t. Most of them are on rollaway base (not using the rolls on the piano itself, it´s a base with rolls).

steamboats

Not really. Egypt is the highlight for most people on that itinerary. It's a destination many dream of seeing all their lives. Out of all of our cruises, Egypt has been the most impressive destination.

I'd hope RCI will offer another cruise or a greatly discounted cruise to the passengers. Gestures like that go a long way in the PR department. With all the damage to the ship, there were probably many personal items (laptops, netbooks, cameras, ereaders, etc.) that were damaged too.

I agree with you. We are taking the Mariner next June, and Egypt is the highlight of our cruise. I'm just glad that everybody is ok. After reading "london's" post I agree that $200 OBC is not enough. I will like to know who makes the decision to skip a port. The Captain? or RCCL headquarters? On a situation like this, does he has to call RCCL to decide to try to get to the port? Just wondering...

I will like to know who makes the decision to skip a port. The Captain? or RCCL headquarters? On a situation like this, does he has to call RCCL to decide to try to get to the port? Just wondering...
The Captain has the final say on decisions that effect the safety of the ship. BTY the MSC Magnifica elected to skip Alexandria

The seas were calm enough to finally get some sleep last night, but have picked up again. The outer decks are once again closed, as are decks 11, 12, and 13. The gym will hopefully be reopened tomorrow. I am a fitness fanatic, and this has been tough. I've been running up and down 10 flights of stairs to do my cardio, and have an exercise band in my cabin (don't leave home without one). :p

I did hear at least one piano on the upper decks was destroyed.

The medical area was wrecked as well, and the x-ray machine fell over.

I'm sure many will feel better being on land when we arrive in Malta.

If this had happened during the day, no question there would have been severe injuries. The way the furniture was thrown around - I don't even want to imagine having dinner in the dining room or the Windjammer when that happened! :eek: They were both in shambles.

There was a gathering in the Centrum with some senior staff today. It was looking ugly. They are rescheduling that event for the theatre later. There are a lot of angry people. I am not angry. Disappointed in having missed Egypt - of course. But, the port was closed - nothing could be done about that. I was scared, but I am not angry. I love to cruise, and I am looking forward to the next one. ;)

But again - kudos to the staff. They are working so hard on very little sleep. Plus, the same things happened in their own cabins, and they were scared as well.

The internet is free, as are ship to shore calls.

Good to hear there are no serious injuries and I am sure many are dissapointed about missing Egypt.

Should be interesting to see what they find long term for the cause. I suspect there will be other factors not just the Stabilizers. My understanding is these ships also adjust Ballast to account for sea conditions and that along with the stabilizers are both important. There is probably a formula for calculating all of that but I believe they add weight down low in very rough conditions. Perhaps when the ship slowed and the stabiizers were not as effective because of physics then maybe the ship needed more Ballast.

Just a thought but it would be interesting to know the final outcome but I imagine that will be kept tight to the vest. On a positive note they can probably take this experience and use it for training to help prevent this from happening again if possible.

Archived