Live from the Brilliance - at 3:45 am all H*** broke loose!

dirtgirl

Perhaps it is just me, but what is it with all these "thoughts and prayers?"

As unpleasant, uncomfortable and worrying as these type of things can be, they are one of the rare and occaissional hazards of travelling. Fortunetaly nobody was seriously injured and the damage will be repaired. Captains around the world make "mistakes" every day of every year, because they are required to make decisions. With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to classify a decision as a "mistake" if despite being done with the best of intentions and resource available at that time, it doesn't prove effective in the circumstances.

It sounds as if the decision to award everybody an onboard credit was a quick decision to provide some redress for the inconvenience suffered generally. No doubt individual claims for quantifiable damage will be considered in due course and on an individual basis where applicable.

Everybody is safe and well, so perhaps the "thoughts and prayers" are better directed from some vacationers who endured an uncomfortable and frightening night, to those whose circumstances put them in real jeopardy everyday, protecting our otherwise cossetted way of life.

$200 is not enough? Maybe not, but perhaps taking that sum in $1 bills and flicking through the message "In God we trust" two hundred times would be an adequate reminder. However for some the message on the back will be unimportant compared to the number on the front!

I believe the Port of Alexandria is a tricky one. Our captain stayed in open water an extra 30 minutes to allow the wind to quiet before attempting to enter. That was in October. There are probably many factors that went into this situation. It's going to take time to know the cause.

On a positive note they can probably take this experience and use it for training to help prevent this from happening again if possible.

Such incidents will be preventable when cruise lines can control 30 foot seas and 50+ MPH winds.:rolleyes:

I think that in your case the elimination of the smell was RCI's responsibility and you should have received some compensation. However, if last night's situation was due to an act of God then IMO $200 for every cabin on the ship seems very generous and if due to human error then not enough.

I agree.

As unpleasant, uncomfortable and worrying as these type of things can be, they are one of the rare and occaissional hazards of travelling. Fortunetaly nobody was seriously injured and the damage will be repaired. Captains around the world make "mistakes" every day of every year, because they are required to make decisions. With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to classify a decision as a "mistake" if despite being done with the best of intentions and resource available at that time, it doesn't prove effective in the circumstances.

It sounds as if the decision to award everybody an onboard credit was a quick decision to provide some redress for the inconvenience suffered generally. No doubt individual claims for quantifiable damage will be considered in due course and on an individual basis where applicable.

Everybody is safe and well, so perhaps the "thoughts and prayers" are better directed from some vacationers who endured an uncomfortable and frightening night, to those whose circumstances put them in real jeopardy everyday, protecting our otherwise cossetted way of life.

$200 is not enough? Maybe not, but perhaps taking that sum in $1 bills and flicking through the message "In God we trust" two hundred times would be an adequate reminder. However for some the message on the back will be unimportant compared to the number on the front!

Not sure exactly what your problem is but I was suposed to be on this cruise and had to cancel two weeks before sailing because of a medical emergency. I have been communicating with these people for a year now and feel like they are friends. It sounds like they went through a really rough time, (in addition to the air controller strike in Spain that created problems prior to the cruise) and there were some minor injuries to a few people I know. I did not make any comments on the $200 compensation and can't express any opinion concerning that since I wasn't on the ship. No question, they had a pretty unpleasant experience and if I want to send best wishes their way I really don't see why it gets your under ware all knotted up.

The firsthand accounts sound absolutely terrifying! I can't imagine how it must have felt being awoken from a sound sleep to doors, beds, TVs, etc. flying around the room! Thank goodness you're all okay!

I also can't believe some of the compassionless and cynical responses on this thread! Seems like some people have some VERY high standards of what's "worthy" of empathy! Get over yourselves and think about how scary this experience must have been for the people onboard.

Glad to hear that the internet and ship to shore phone calls are being provided free by RCL. It was the right thing to do. If I were on that cruise, I know the loved ones back home would want to hear from me. (but at $7.95 a minute many would hesitate to call - no way that would be a short call home - too many questions from those on the other side)

Hope the rest if the trip goes well for everyone. :)

Having been on a Med. Cruise last fall, I am very thankful that no one was seriously injured, but saddened that some vacation plans were disrupted. I'm sure for some it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and and turned into something unforgettable. Not being able to go to a certain destination because of weather related circumstances and expecting compensation is not something I'd like to see start. Unfortunately with cruising this is the "roll of the dice" we take when we cruise. They is always the possibility that the ship you are on won't be able to get to the port/destination that is the most desired of your trip for some reason beyond the cruise line's control. There are ports/destinations that are notorious for being difficult hard to dock/tender in. Penalizing the industry won't help cruisers in the long run. Seeking compensation for damage to personal items is a different matter - but beware of the fine print on your cruise documents. The cruise lines are liable for very little $$$. I hope that the trip back to Barcelona is a smooth trip.

The seas were calm enough to finally get some sleep last night, but have picked up again. The outer decks are once again closed, as are decks 11, 12, and 13. The gym will hopefully be reopened tomorrow. I am a fitness fanatic, and this has been tough. I've been running up and down 10 flights of stairs to do my cardio, and have an exercise band in my cabin (don't leave home without one). :p

I did hear at least one piano on the upper decks was destroyed.

The medical area was wrecked as well, and the x-ray machine fell over.

I'm sure many will feel better being on land when we arrive in Malta.

If this had happened during the day, no question there would have been severe injuries. The way the furniture was thrown around - I don't even want to imagine having dinner in the dining room or the Windjammer when that happened! :eek: They were both in shambles.

There was a gathering in the Centrum with some senior staff today. It was looking ugly. They are rescheduling that event for the theatre later. There are a lot of angry people. I am not angry. Disappointed in having missed Egypt - of course. But, the port was closed - nothing could be done about that. I was scared, but I am not angry. I love to cruise, and I am looking forward to the next one. ;)

But again - kudos to the staff. They are working so hard on very little sleep. Plus, the same things happened in their own cabins, and they were scared as well.

The internet is free, as are ship to shore calls.

Thanks for all your posts and so glad considering the events that there was minimal damage and injuries. I am saddened to read some of these comments of nasty remarks. It seems to be the way people act these days. Can't believe people on the cruise are mad. My God! They are alive aren't they??!!

Captains around the world make "mistakes" every day of every year, because they are required to make decisions.

I wouldn't call it a mistake (and by your quote marks, neither, apparently would you). These ship captains have to skate a knife's edge (or it that sail a storm's edge?) trying to meet their conflicting goals.

People who have no knowledge of the seas and sailing (and thank you, USN officer, for your knowledgeable insight) get all huffy and distressed because the captain makes decisions on the basis of years and years of experience and training AND the desires and intentions of the cruise line to meet its schedule and itinerary; trying to balance the safety of the ship, and the desire of the passengers to go (and the cruise line to take them) to various places around the world.

Some folks are angry because they missed a port they were counting on; some are angry because the captain tried to MAKE that port in very bad weather. Some are angry because he didn't turn tail and run out to sea where it (might have been) calmer. (Any of y'all have any idea how far he would have had to sail out to sea to get clear of the storm, and how long that would have taken, and if it even could have be done? Thought not.) Some are angry because the captain had to do the seamanship-required thing and slow down in traffic (would y'all would be happier if he went screaming into port and slammed into -- or, more likely, GOT slammed into by -- some other ship?! That would put a crimp in your cruise, eh?) (Can the captain possibly win here?!)

Look, the sea is dangerous! There's no way around it. Cruise ships are built at massive cost and with amazing engineering to go into harm's way for the pleasure of their passengers -- who mostly know little or nothing about the dangers of the sea and the requirements of operating a huge ship on a seething, flailing, rogue-wave-bearing 'animal' whose dangers are unknown or ignored or dismissed by folks who know very little about it.

That cruise ships manage to so INfrequently get into trouble is an amazing testament to the skill and determination of their captains and crews. That passengers (or worse, onlookers!) who know so little get so bitchy about "insufficient compensation" for being scared -- or knocked around and bruised -- or missing a port (and I don't just mean this cruise, which was certainly terrifying, but it seems to happen on any cruise whenever the sea or the weather interferes with the cruise), is alas unsurprising, but unwarranted.

Cruising is NOT a Disneyland ride (even if, yes, the cruiselines often make it sound like it is). The sea will always be dangerous -- and to blame the captain or the cruiseline for skirting the shoals between missing ports and sailing in heavy weather... well, it just doesn't seem reasonable, you know?

I must down go to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

(from Sea Fever by John Masefield)

I look at it differently. I don't think you can send or receive too many thoughts and prayers so I see no reason to ration them. I imagine those that are thinking of and praying for this group of passengers do the same for other groups.

Puzzling.

a-lap-dance-emoticon-12.gif

Talked to Crown and Anchor in Miami and they also said cruise is a go, but the blog for the Dec 17 cruise is saying that they are meeting now and will have an update soon.One can but hope. If you hear any news, please post it, if I hear any I will post it.

So sorry for everybody and feeling really badly for Flow after he worked sooo hard to plan the great overnight trip. That this came after the problems with travel to the cruise is especially terrible.

We were supposed to be on this but had to cancel about a month out. Regretting that less and less...

Good luck and enjoy as best you can! You now have a great story to tell!

Brilliance was on last night on NBC news. We were supposed to be on the MSC Magnifica which is in the same location as Brilliance but had to cancel due to illness. Our friends are on the ship and they have emailed us saying itinerary has changed and not sure where they are going now. Spent overnight in Turkey. Someone did mention here that they were heading back to Rhodes which was previously scheduled for Dec. 11.

Hope everyone is fine on the Brilliance.

Wise words MsArchangel.

This being my first cruise and knowing next to nothing about boats, I must say the scariest thing to me was not knowing. What to do, was this normal, etc. The bedside table had fell over twice within the 2 hours prior, so when it fell again, and the boat kept on tilting,I was no longer amused. But again, not knowing anything about boats, its impossible to form an informed opinion.

Im just p*ssed off my tour got cxld so did the Murder Mystery dinner and I have no one to blame!?!

As for the food, they are shortages (I was told no more meat for the specialty restaurents), so limited choices, (no more omelet bar or choice of sausages at breakfast for example). There is still more than enough. Considering we were supposed to be one day at sea between Rhodes and Alexandria and will be three, kudos to the crew.

Now, the million dollar question... Were we supposed to refuel in Egypt? :D

Hopefully well get some sun in Malta!

We were just told by a bartender that the ship will go into drydock for 2 weeks upon return to Barcelona and that the Dec. 17 cruise will be canceled. We're not surprised. Obviously RCCL is downplaying the "incident" but there is extensive damage to the interior including the salon, spa, dining rooms and many other common areas, including shattered glass elevator doors, holes in the wall, etc. An estimated 25 percent of cabin TVs flew from their cabinets and were destroyed. Many cabins are without electricity. More than 100 chairs and several tables were shattered in the main dining room, and regular dining service has not been re-established as of noon ship time on Monday, Dec. 13. RCCL has offered guests $200 shipboard credit. At least one guest letter circulating criticizes this "nominal" amount. As an 18-time cruiser who has experienced the wide range of "normal" rough sea activity, this incident was nothing of the sort. At approximately 3 a.m., the ship listed side to side about 30 degrees at least 4 times. The 7 x 4 feet closet door in our balcony cabin ripped from its hinges and flew across the room. The king bed slid across the cabin as if on wheels. The minibar contents smashed against the front door, along with the glasses, leaving broken glass all over the floor. The bed ended up perpendicular to where it started. The entire contents of the medicine cabinet were all over the bathroom, including shattered cologne bottles. Both nightstands, made of heavy wood, ended up across the room, as did the wood cocktail table. My wife narrowly missed being hit by the airborne closet door, which weighs 50+ pounds and easily could have killed her had it struck her head. Repeated "booms" against the side of the ship were later reported to be deck chairs from several stories above hitting the lifeboats below. The captain admitted in his first address within 30 minutes of the incident that a "mistake" had been made by slowing down in harbor traffic, causing the stabilizers to disengage. It is incredible -- if not miraculous -- that no one was killed by this error. Likely the captain was not at the controls at the time, given the hour. Before the captain's first PA announcement, my wife and I crawled in the darkness into the bathroom, dressed, donned our lifejackets and prepared for the worst. To say we thought the ship could conceivably capsize is not an overstatement. We remained huddled in the bathroom for 3 hours, until daylight. Two days later, we continue to endure 50+ knot winds and choppy sea en route to Malta, but the ship's movement is minimal contrasted to that nightware we awakened to. The mood aboard the ship is somber but thankful given that the injuries were mostly minor. (Word is the piano player has a broken nose, and you see the occasional stitches and splints.) We consider ourselves to be very reasonable travelers and don't blame RCCL or any other line for acts of nature. But by his own admission, the captain described the incident as a "mistake" more than once. The crew has been largely tireless in cleaning/repairing, but more than a few admit they have never experienced anything like this and that they "wish this cruise would just be over." We remain thankful, but shocked, that no one lost their life. We also are saddened that we won't be seeing Egypt, which was the highlight of this itinerary, and feel that a substantial discount on a future cruise would be reasonable. This terrifying experience won't scare us from future cruises, but we have a newfound respect for the power of the sea -- and for the engineering marvels of modern shipbuilding, including ship stabilizers, which if they aren't engaged can make grown men feel like rag dolls flung to and fro by an angry Mother Nature.

We're certainly checking in with RCI to see where the next cruise stands and for a comment on the stabilizers. We'll post a full report when they respond. Question: the cabin TV estimation, is that something a steward mentioned?

You don't happen to have any photos of the ship? Cruise Critic is working on a follow-up story, and we'd like to include some visuals. You can e-mail dan@cruisecritic.com.

Thanks,

Dan

The firsthand accounts sound absolutely terrifying! I can't imagine how it must have felt being awoken from a sound sleep to doors, beds, TVs, etc. flying around the room! Thank goodness you're all okay!

I also can't believe some of the compassionless and cynical responses on this thread! Seems like some people have some VERY high standards of what's "worthy" of empathy! Get over yourselves and think about how scary this experience must have been for the people onboard.

It's what the internet has brought about - the phenomenon of the Internet Tough Guy. It's sickening.

I wouldn't call it a mistake (and by your quote marks, neither, apparently would you). These ship captains have to skate a knife's edge (or it that sail a storm's edge?) trying to meet their conflicting goals.

People who have no knowledge of the seas and sailing (and thank you, USN officer, for your knowledgeable insight) get all huffy and distressed because the captain makes decisions on the basis of years and years of experience and training AND the desires and intentions of the cruise line to meet its schedule and itinerary; trying to balance the safety of the ship, and the desire of the passengers to go (and the cruise line to take them) to various places around the world.

Some folks are angry because they missed a port they were counting on; some are angry because the captain tried to MAKE that port in very bad weather. Some are angry because he didn't turn tail and run out to sea where it (might have been) calmer. (Any of y'all have any idea how far he would have had to sail out to sea to get clear of the storm, and how long that would have taken, and if it even could have be done? Thought not.) Some are angry because the captain had to do the seamanship-required thing and slow down in traffic (would y'all would be happier if he went screaming into port and slammed into -- or, more likely, GOT slammed into by -- some other ship?! That would put a crimp in your cruise, eh?) (Can the captain possibly win here?!)

Look, the sea is dangerous! There's no way around it. Cruise ships are built at massive cost and with amazing engineering to go into harm's way for the pleasure of their passengers -- who mostly know little or nothing about the dangers of the sea and the requirements of operating a huge ship on a seething, flailing, rogue-wave-bearing 'animal' whose dangers are unknown or ignored or dismissed by folks who know very little about it.

That cruise ships manage to so INfrequently get into trouble is an amazing testament to the skill and determination of their captains and crews. That passengers (or worse, onlookers!) who know so little get so bitchy about "insufficient compensation" for being scared -- or knocked around and bruised -- or missing a port (and I don't just mean this cruise, which was certainly terrifying, but it seems to happen on any cruise whenever the sea or the weather interferes with the cruise), is alas unsurprising, but unwarranted.

Cruising is NOT a Disneyland ride (even if, yes, the cruiselines often make it sound like it is). The sea will always be dangerous -- and to blame the captain or the cruiseline for skirting the shoals between missing ports and sailing in heavy weather... well, it just doesn't seem reasonable, you know?

I must down go to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

(from Sea Fever by John Masefield)

Too many people are under the impression that just because a cruise ship is big, it makes it safe, from all natural events. I do think the cruise lines have painted this picture, which is true 99% mosts of the time, but, there are things out in the high seas that no one can predict even with modern technology. This is coming from an experience boater/fisherman who has spent many many did I say, many hours in the Gulf Stream.

PS, I do not think RC owes anyone compensation. But, when the grand piano is not securely anchored down, what a mistake.

The seas were calm enough to finally get some sleep last night, but have picked up again. The outer decks are once again closed, as are decks 11, 12, and 13. The gym will hopefully be reopened tomorrow. I am a fitness fanatic, and this has been tough. I've been running up and down 10 flights of stairs to do my cardio, and have an exercise band in my cabin (don't leave home without one). :p

I did hear at least one piano on the upper decks was destroyed.

The medical area was wrecked as well, and the x-ray machine fell over.

I'm sure many will feel better being on land when we arrive in Malta.

If this had happened during the day, no question there would have been severe injuries. The way the furniture was thrown around - I don't even want to imagine having dinner in the dining room or the Windjammer when that happened! :eek: They were both in shambles.

There was a gathering in the Centrum with some senior staff today. It was looking ugly. They are rescheduling that event for the theatre later. There are a lot of angry people. I am not angry. Disappointed in having missed Egypt - of course. But, the port was closed - nothing could be done about that. I was scared, but I am not angry. I love to cruise, and I am looking forward to the next one. ;)

But again - kudos to the staff. They are working so hard on very little sleep. Plus, the same things happened in their own cabins, and they were scared as well.

The internet is free, as are ship to shore calls.

Carol, kudos to you for your attitude, as always. It's too bad that even at this very early stage, before you have even gotten to land, people are demanding more monetary recompense than initially offered. I'd just be thanking god we didn't capsize:(

Knowing you as I do, I am sure you are still managing to have a good time, and I bet the schooner bar is a happy place to be:D:D Stay safe, and look forward to hearing more when you get home.

Yes, however he did not have to enter it. I think we can all agree that the ship would be in better shape if he skipped Alexandria!!

And rest assured that had he opted to do that, there would be a shipful of irate passengers saying that the captain COULD have made port and didn't even try....:rolleyes:

I agree with you. We are taking the Mariner next June, and Egypt is the highlight of our cruise. I'm just glad that everybody is ok. After reading "london's" post I agree that $200 OBC is not enough. I will like to know who makes the decision to skip a port. The Captain? or RCCL headquarters? On a situation like this, does he has to call RCCL to decide to try to get to the port? Just wondering...

Decisions are made by the captain with guidance from all reasonable sources. Ultimately, however, it's the captain's word that is final.

Wise words MsArchangel.

This being my first cruise and knowing next to nothing about boats, I must say the scariest thing to me was not knowing. What to do, was this normal, etc. The bedside table had fell over twice within the 2 hours prior, so when it fell again, and the boat kept on tilting,I was no longer amused. But again, not knowing anything about boats, its impossible to form an informed opinion.

Im just p*ssed off my tour got cxld so did the Murder Mystery dinner and I have no one to blame!?!

As for the food, they are shortages (I was told no more meat for the specialty restaurents), so limited choices, (no more omelet bar or choice of sausages at breakfast for example). There is still more than enough. Considering we were supposed to be one day at sea between Rhodes and Alexandria and will be three, kudos to the crew.

I think the highlighted quote is the crux of the matter. Weather like this one is NO ONE's fault. People in our society today cannot seem to accept that there are some circumstances which are not the fault of anyone, therefore, no one can be blamed. :rolleyes:

I mentioned yesterday on another thread on the Egypt board that it wouldn't be long before angry passengers would be claiming RCI owed them compensation. And so it is....

I am very happy (as should everyone on board be) that the ship came through it with only minor injuries to people and without significant damage to the ship.

However, the first rule of destination cruising has always been that if you are VERY invested in one particular port or destination on a cruise, you'd be better off taking a land trip. Far too many things can happen when on a cruise. Ports get missed for weather reasons (e.g., this cruise), political reasons (Athens Greece, several times during the 2010 season due to strikes), safety reasons (Ashdod, early in the 2010 season, skipped by several ships after the capture of the Palestinian Aid flotilla), and indeed any other reason one can imagine!

Maybe I am just missing it, but I would have thought RCCL would have put a link on thier website with up to date infomation about future sailings on the Brilliance. It would prob save them 1000's of phone calls if they would do this. I know I have already called once and might do it again later on this afternoon to see if our cruise on the 29th will be affected. This is just my opinion which really doesnt mean much except to me. :)

Archived