Wouldn't it have been easier just to provide service to the customer?

[quote name='jcross2'][B]Yes and no.[/B] [SIZE="1"] My experience:

Just got off VOS yesterday. On embarkation day, my only checked bag didn't arrive, and I received a hand-delivered notice that I would have to go retrieve it on Deck 1 at 6 p.m.

I knew there was no "contraband" in it ... no iron, no booze, nothing else I could think of. I went down around 5:30 and was told to leave the area immediately and come back at 6. Sigh.

So I went back exactly at 6, and there were already very long lines there.

After standing in line for 20-30 minutes, a security person walked past the line and shouted "all those without alcohol in their bags, follow me."

So I did. Ended up standing in another, albeit shorter, line.

(Opinion: Not a fun way to start a cruise, I must say ... )

When I finally got to the front, the security person looked at her list and saw "wine opener" listed by my name.

Yes, a corkscrew, one I bring on most cruises because my old arthritic hands cannot manage the little cheap plastic ones that come with our room service wine. (No leverage on those at all.)

Anyway, I told her I'd be glad to hand it over; had no idea it was not permitted.

She did not reply, but had someone retrieve my bag and hand it over to me, [B]without taking out the corkscrew[/B], and I hauled it up to my room.

(I mean, really, the ship has so many corkscrews on board already ... not to mention steak knives?!)

So ... [B]no[/B], they didn't ban it, and allowed me to have my corkscrew. And [B]yes[/B], apparently it is now banned and considered dangerous contraband, and I wasted over an hour of my first night on board because of that.

Ironically, my roommate's bag had an identical corkscrew, which wasn't found. Her luggage arrived very promptly.

Jan[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

VERY annoying. RC has a right and perhaps even a duty to enforce its rules, particularly those regarding the safety and well-being of its ship, crew and passengers.

This is beginning to descend into petty madness.

And, one can always call room service to come and uncork the bottle for a buck! (ie....tip)

If we get three bottles of wine in our cabin, on different days, each one is accompanied with a corkscrew.....compliments of Royal Caribbean.

I can still uncork them, and when I can't, I'll start ordering champagne......those corks fly!!:D

Rick

[quote name='Merion_Mom']VERY annoying. RC has a right and perhaps even a duty to enforce its rules, particularly those regarding the safety and well-being of its ship, crew and passengers.

This is beginning to descend into petty madness.[/quote]

Not quite sure of your meaning here ... ?

[B]Aquahound[/B], hope I helped answer your question by describing my recent experience. Hope it saves someone else from repeating it.

Jan

ps, Merion Mom, my little arthritis-friendly corkscrew did not fall into any of these currently banned categories:
[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000I6NmKvNRv46jN8WbjKUmg4x:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq[/url]
so ... I can't really see that I either violated any of RC's rules, or threatened anyone's safety & well being ... I was actually following all their published rules, but was still, in effect, penalized.

[quote name='jcross2']Not quite sure of your meaning here ... ?

[B]Aquahound[/B], hope I helped answer your question by describing my recent experience. Hope it saves someone else from repeating it.

Jan

ps, Merion Mom, my little arthritis-friendly corkscrew did not fall into any of these currently banned categories:
[url]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000I6NmKvNRv46jN8WbjKUmg4x:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq[/url]
so ... I can't really see that I either violated any of RC's rules, or threatened anyone's safety & well being ... I was actually following all their published rules, but was still, in effect, penalized.[/QUOTE]

I think it is ridiculous that they put you through that and then even let you take the so-called contraband with you. I also think that even though you showed up a bit early that to "be told to leave the area immediately" is over the top. Maybe in reality it did not come across as rudely as it seems from reading your post but it just does not seem like an appropriate way to treat customers.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']OK, here is what I don't understand. If the wine goes to the dining room you are charged a corkage fee. If it goes to your cabin you are not. However, I have read several posts about how RCI is confiscating cork screws when people board the ship. SO, just what are you supposed to do with that bottle of wine that is in your cabin other than take it to the dining room??;)

I can just see new threads popping up on how to smuggle cork screws aboard RCI ships.:)[/quote]

They do give you a cork screw if you have wine delivered to your stateroom.

[quote name='Papa T']RCI will provide a cork screw but your post is backward - no corkage fee if the wine is delivered to the dinning room but a fee if you have it delivered to your room and then take it to the dinning room. Several of us got conflicting info on this before our last cruise (Adventure TA 11/28) and I discussed it at length with 2 supervisors from C&A. Over many cruises (with RCI) I have never been charged a corkage fee for complementary wine sent by RCI to our room. But as I stated in an earlier post, I always check with the waiter before I bring it to the dining room. Quite frankly as silly as this policy is, I would make a major issue of it if they tried to enforce it, but . . . that has never been necessary.[/quote]

Why do I feel so confused now:D The D+ amenity crew has always told me that if the bottle of wine was delivered to the MDR, then there would be a corkage fee. If the bottle was delivered to the cabin, no corkage fee, but if you bring the bottle to the MDR from your cabin, there would be a corkage fee.

Now people are saying if you have the bottle delivered to the MDR, there isn't a corkage fee:confused: this is contrary to what the D+ folks have told me in the past, so I have always had it delivered to the cabin, and then we pour our wine glasses and take them up to dinner with us.

[quote name='jmraggs']They do give you a cork screw if you have wine delivered to your stateroom.[/quote]

Yes, but it is one of those tiny plastic ones without any leverage. My hands are not strong enough to use them, so I bring my own corkscrew, especially when I'm not traveling with DH.

[quote name='jmraggs']
.................. Now people are saying if you have the bottle delivered to the MDR, there isn't a corkage fee:confused: this is contrary to what the D+ folks have told me in the past, so I have always had it delivered to the cabin, and then we pour our wine glasses and take them up to dinner with us.[/quote]

We have never been charged a corkage fee for a D+ bottle delivered to the dining room. Like the OP, that's where we always request it to be delivered.

[B]Ocean Boy[/B], you're right, it did not come across as rudely as it might seem. Although those were his words, it was said almost apologetically, and he did seem sympathetic when I told him I had no contraband. I wonder if RCL might have hired an outside contractor to scan the luggage, and [I]their[/I] staff went a little overboard? That was the "rumor" I heard while standing in line.

The RCL staff were much more pleasant & polite than one of my fellow pax standing in line ... you wouldn't believe some people.

Anyway, what I learned from this experience and wanted to share, is that it's now probably best to bring your corkscrew in your carryon. Then if they want to confiscate it, they'll do so when you embark and you won't have to go stand in line on Deck 1 for your checked bag! HTH.

Regards,
Jan

Last year I was on the Explorer and asked for my D+ wine to be delivered to my stateroom. It was not there upon check-in so I went to GR. The rep tells me the D+ amenity program was discontinued 3-4 years ago and I wouldn't be getting anything.

We go on 3-4 cruises a year and KNEW this wasn't true. I asked to speak to her supervisor...she told me the same thing. Luckily, we were still docked and I had my cell phone with me, so I called the D+ desk in Miami while still at the GR desk.

I spoke to XXX who happened to be the same person who took my D+ request the week before. She was mad and says they have D+ amenity problems aboard the ships all the time. She asked to speak to the GR supervisor. I handed my cell phone over and said "Miami office wants to speak to you". The GR supervisor (who overheard my phone conversation) wouldn't take the call, said that won't be necessary and that my wine will be delivered to my cabin shortly. It was delivered within a few minutes.

My question is WHY do they make up these stories? Especially the GR supervisor? They act as if THEY are paying for the amenities out of their own pocket.

Also, I agree with what others said about taking OBC documentation along to PROVE it's owed to you. I've had to prove it approx. 50% of the time.

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Too many questions. LOL.

1. Here is [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=163402&d=1280075196"]the list[/URL].
2. You can ask for it when you are in the specialty restaurant. They are supposed to have access to the list and be able to fetch the bottle for you.

Do you have any past experience with ordering a wine package from RCI (Platinum, etc). Is it safe to assume that similar problems do not occur with these...and that you do not have to make an advance decision on "where" the wine is consumed? Sorry...first time RCI cruiser...thanks! :)

[quote name='jsinohio'][.Do you have any past experience with ordering a wine package from RCI (Platinum, etc). Is it safe to assume that similar problems do not occur with these...and that you do not have to make an advance decision on "where" the wine is consumed? Sorry...first time RCI cruiser...thanks! :)
.[/quote]

You can only get wine package bottles from the MDR, Windjammer and specialty restaurants. If you want a bottle for your cabin, in my experience, they will be happy to get you one that they will either open for you or, if you've brought your own corkscrew, you can bring it back to the cabin unopened.

I wouldn't pre-pay for the wine package. There are only a few wines on the list that we like, and I would hate to board and find out that they are out of any of them. Plus, if you have any kind of onboard credit, you can use it to pay for the package.:)

Incredible and hard to believe. I've encountered similar problems, but my biggest gripe is with MDR table selections. When I book a cruise I ask for a table near a window. As a Diamond member, I expect some courtesy, but the table assigned is nowhere. I expect this, and as soon as we get on board we usually go directly to the MDR to see where our table is located. When I inquire as to why this happens, the M-D blames Miami and conversely Miami blame the M-D.

I've recommended to them that if I book a cruise some 12+ mos. I should be able to select my MDR table. I refer to the Airline seating selections.

[quote name='critterchick']You can only get wine package bottles from the MDR, Windjammer and specialty restaurants. If you want a bottle for your cabin, in my experience, they will be happy to get you one that they will either open for you or, if you've brought your own corkscrew, you can bring it back to the cabin unopened.

I wouldn't pre-pay for the wine package. There are only a few wines on the list that we like, and I would hate to board and find out that they are out of any of them. Plus, if you have any kind of onboard credit, you can use it to pay for the package.:)[/quote]

Good point. I'll just wait until I'm on board. Was just interested in making use of the little discount that they provide via the package. Thanks!

On our last cruise on Voyager several members of our group received bottles of wine from our TA--all delivered to our staterooms. Every night a different person brought their wine to our table, and everytime the waiter quietly placed a corkscrew on our table and we opened the bottle and poured the wine ourselves. No corkage fees appeared on any of our accounts...but he teased us and said we'd probably be charged a corkscrew rental fee!

[quote name='jcross2']Not quite sure of your meaning here ... ?

Jan

so ... I can't really see that I either violated any of RC's rules, or threatened anyone's safety & well being ... I was actually following all their published rules, but was still, in effect, penalized.[/QUOTE]

Jan, I was supporting you and your sense of aggrievement! I think that you were VERY badly treated, and that while they have a right to keep everyone safe, how they treated you had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with petty bureaucracy.

:)

[quote name='glendon3281']Last year I was on the Explorer and asked for my D+ wine to be delivered to my stateroom. It was not there upon check-in so I went to GR. The rep tells me the D+ amenity program was discontinued 3-4 years ago and I wouldn't be getting anything.

We go on 3-4 cruises a year and KNEW this wasn't true. I asked to speak to her supervisor...she told me the same thing. Luckily, we were still docked and I had my cell phone with me, so I called the D+ desk in Miami while still at the GR desk.

I spoke to XXX who happened to be the same person who took my D+ request the week before. She was mad and says they have D+ amenity problems aboard the ships all the time. She asked to speak to the GR supervisor. I handed my cell phone over and said "Miami office wants to speak to you". The GR supervisor (who overheard my phone conversation) wouldn't take the call, said that won't be necessary and that my wine will be delivered to my cabin shortly. It was delivered within a few minutes.

My question is WHY do they make up these stories? Especially the GR supervisor? They act as if THEY are paying for the amenities out of their own pocket.

Also, I agree with what others said about taking OBC documentation along to PROVE it's owed to you. I've had to prove it approx. 50% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Oh, now that is ridiculous!

"Discontinued 3 or 4 years ago"?!?!??!?

WTH?!?!?!??!

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Oh, now that is ridiculous!

"Discontinued 3 or 4 years ago"?!?!??!?

WTH?!?!?!??![/quote]

MM.......it's time that people that are telling us about the Guest Relations Manager.......giving stories...........give names.

When there are problems with either the Loyalty Ambassador or GSM, they need to be pointed out.......as Miami does read these threads, and staff that does not know what we are entitled to......needs to be replaced with someone that has the knowledge of what D+ are given.

Knuff said!:)

Rick

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Jan, I was supporting you and your sense of aggrievement! I think that you were VERY badly treated, and that while they have a right to keep everyone safe, how they treated you had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with petty bureaucracy.

:)[/quote]

Thanks, Merion Mom!

Yes, it was an aggravation at the time, and not a good way to start a cruise.

At least the rest of the week was great!

I have a feeling there was some kind of miscommunication with their screeners; hope they get that straightened out, as there were quite a few people in that line who, like me, were confused about why they had to be there!

(And of course, some who knew exactly why they'd been called ... :rolleyes:)

Regards,
Jan

[quote name='Tim,n,Sue']Yes we did but completely irrelevant to the point. What RCI said they would do did not happen. We should not have to phone aporund to different relatives too ask if they were the ones who gave us the OBC. RCI dropped the ball.[/quote]

The card should have been sent to your relatives, who would then give it to you. At least, that's how it happened when my mom ordered a gift certificate for my boyfriend for Christmas this year. My only guess the reason the card didn't come is if they purchased the gift certificate too close to your sailing date.

What's infuriating about all of these cases is not the error or misunderstanding itself. It's the attitude that they can't help you because it's out of their control.

On the EX a few years ago, we were turned away from the Diamond departure lounge because we apparently did not have the right tag colors. The LA immediately blamed the Stateroom Attendant and said there was nothing she could do because the lounge was only for those holding the Diamond tag colors.

On that particular cruise there were something like 60 D/D+ members. We were 3 of them, and the lounge had maybe 10 people in it. She was getting radio status on what tags were being called for departure. If she had kept an eye out for the tag color we were given, she could have saved the situation. Instead, she turned us away without even an apology, as the issue was not her fault.

I'm not sure what is worse - the fact that she didn't try to fix the situation or that she didn't even consider that there were alternatives.

Princess and HAL let you bring as much wine as you want on board with you. As long as you drink it in your cabin, there is no corkage fee. On our last cruise, we brought 2 cases. As another person noted, we just fill a glass before we head for dinner and have at at our table.

Their loss; our gain.

DON

[quote name='efields2']The card should have been sent to your relatives, who would then give it to you. At least, that's how it happened when my mom ordered a gift certificate for my boyfriend for Christmas this year. My only guess the reason the card didn't come is if they purchased the gift certificate too close to your sailing date.[/QUOTE]

A gift certificate is different than giving a gift of OBC...........

[quote name='alwayshappytocruise']A gift certificate is different than giving a gift of OBC...........[/quote]

You are correct, and from what I understood they were given $100 OBC, which is what my mom got for my boyfriend, so I'm assuming they both ordered it the same way.

I guess I have to wait until Christmas to see exactly what the card that came from RCL says!

[quote name='efields2']The card should have been sent to your relatives, who would then give it to you. At least, that's how it happened when my mom ordered a gift certificate for my boyfriend for Christmas this year. My only guess the reason the card didn't come is if they purchased the gift certificate too close to your sailing date.[/quote]

The card is supposed to be delivered to the stateroom. That way you (we) know who gave us the present.

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Whatever happened to.. "The customer is always right"??? :rolleyes: It really takes little effort to right a wrong and it makes for excellent public relations. Unfortunately, I've been reading lots of negativity regarding guest relations not only on this thread but on others.[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid][B] Seems passing the buck is the norm. :([/B][/COLOR]

The customer is NOT always right... Unfortunately sometimes the customer is a scammer, trying to take advantage of companies, collect free stuff, lying to save money... I could go on... Those types of customers end up costing the rest of us money and frequently cost an employee their job...

It's sad and wrong... It's also the reality and cost of doing business in our society today...

Please note that I am NOT saying that any of the examples posted in this thread qualify... I am however saying that the bad apples out there make it harder for honest customers to get the service they deserve....

Archived