CAS Changes

thelion

That made me bust out laughing.

Anyway LT posts in a much younger style so I didn't realize ;)

I thought LT posts like a very old man. Is he blind? :rolleyes: You know how people talk when they are deaf, don't you? They scream at you.

(just teasing LT)

Gina

I just can't understand what criteria was used to determine the new levels. I don't have a single point earned for less than 7 days, and was expecting to make diamond at my Freedom B2B (2 points/14 days). If the new proposed level is correct, now I will not make Diamond at 70 days?

I don't understand how it cannot be a fair conversion if points earned for 7 days don't convert over to the same level.

It's people like you who I feel bad for - you and those just a point or two away from a new level. Some of us know you don't cruise just for a level - but knowing how close that extra point in December got you, and for the point to be worth nothing if changes happen as predicted...tsk tsk....:(

For me the change will change nothing really. My cruise credits are in the 50s with or without the extra cruise credit. But it would have been nice for it to mean something and to be added into the probable upcoming daily count.

Maybe they will surprise us all and add in ALL the credits we have earned according to past standards and then start counting the new way from that point on.

Gina

They could treat it the same way they do suites and use it to multiply the number of nights. So, if you did a diamonds in December for 7 nights in a balcony, you would have 14 nights the same as if you did a suite in November.

Of course they (the whales of cruising) have been snowballing. Just look at SuperMario's record, which he posted himself. From June 2009 to June 2010 he got 100 cruise credits. He says he has done only 30% of his entire cruising history in suites and mostly balcanies or less. So, how does one get 100 cruise credits with 52 cruises (almost exclusively on the 7 day Liberty itinary) when booking mostly insides, oceanviews and balconies? Answer, you get upgraded to JS because of your high(est) count and get double credit even though you did not pay for it.

It has happened once to us, and to almost every D+er I've talked to onboard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but this is the way it is - dispite the company rules.

I was also wondering if the double credits we got for the 18 days on Radiance in December will count as 36 days (nights) in the new system and if the JS up-grade on one of the 4 nighters will give us a total of 40 for the December cruises. Guess I'll know soon!

well, I must be on there bad side ,I have 228 days of cruising and have been a D+ for 3 years and have never been upgraded. heck I have never been invited to the officers table:rolleyes:

I thought LT posts like a very old man. Is he blind? :rolleyes: You know how people talk when they are deaf, don't you? They scream at you.

(just teasing LT)

Gina

mamabean

Old; oh behave ! ! ! !

Large colourful fonts was considered Screaming or Yelling in the Old Days; but now it is considered being creative and making it easier for the older folks to read.

I do not need nor wear glasses of any kind thank the Lord.

Keep smiling ! !

I just can't understand what criteria was used to determine the new levels. I don't have a single point earned for less than 7 days, and was expecting to make diamond at my Freedom B2B (2 points/14 days). If the new proposed level is correct, now I will not make Diamond at 70 days?

I don't understand how it cannot be a fair conversion if points earned for 7 days don't convert over to the same level.

For all we know, that may be the number. OP first said pinnacle would be 750 then changed it to 700. You'd think all levels would be current cruise credits times 7 for the new days at sea level if they are thinking a 7 day cruise should equal an average cruise vacation.

And they could ditch the Emerald level since it seems unusually silly to stuff it in between two levels that are so close already.

Gina

mamabean

Old; oh behave ! ! ! !

Large colourful fonts was considered Screaming or Yelling in the Old Days; but now it is considered being creative and making it easier for the older folks to read.

Keep smiling ! !

Ouch...my eyes hurt. Give me my blinders, sunglasses or something.

Gina

mamabean

Old; oh behave ! ! ! !

Keep smiling ! !

I guess you don't need to wear glasses with fonts this large :D:D:D

Can someone post a link or tell me where I look for the numbers in the C&A tiers. How many actually have over the 100 cruises credited or how many D+,,, Diamond and so on.. Just curious.. Also how many total members in C&A..

You think that is bad?

Me:

Current 9 credits.

Prepaid cruise 1/14 would bring me to 10 credits (Diamond on completion)

Change effective 1/12:

Completion of 1/14 cruise will put me at 54 points.

Not only back to Platinum...but one point shy of even making Emerald.

Amazing what 2 days will do to you.... :( :rolleyes:

That's a shame for you! I'm so sorry - I'm being sympathetic, not sarcastic.

Our last cruise made us Diamond and we will be happy if we can stay at that level.

Currently, we have 10 credits, 66 days with RCCL, gained from only 6 cruises and no suites. Our cruise lengths were 12, 7, 14, 14, 12, 11 nights. We live where we have to fly long distance to cruise, so we try to take long cruises.

We cruise for the itinerary first, and then for the cruise line, although given 2 cruise lines offering the same itinerary we would choose RCCL.

We've got 6 credits (42 nights) with Celebrity - 3 x 14-day cruises (RCCL didn't go there. We had actually booked 28 days on Radiance but then RCCL pulled her from South America). We'll gratefully accept any increased status perks we get on Celebrity thanks to our RCCL status.

Next year, we're doing 27 days on HAL - because their transatlantic repo cruise goes to Iceland and Greenland.

For us, the itinerary definitely comes first and the status perks are just that - a little icing on the cake, but not a deal breaker. I realise that others have different preferences.

My personal math...or why I've decided not to care

Okay, after reading this whole thread, I decided to log on to RCCL and try to figure out where I stand...

First know that I am Diamond under the current system and RCCL shows me with 13 credits...I have one more cruise on January 2, so that one will fall in under the old system, not that it matters...but, call it 14 current credits...

As a side here, I am Elite on Celebrity...they show me with 16 credits...

Here's where it gets to be fun...Royal Caribbean's accounting for this has never been very good...

When I go to my cruise history on RCCL, it's wrong...it's always been wrong...They have cruises credited to me that I am sure I never took...and they are missing cruises that I definitely took...most of these are many years ago in both cases...I don't know anyone could really reconstruct it...

I assume RCCL will just do all this by computer using whatever they have in their system...too many C & A members to go through them all individually...

So, looking at my history, for eight of those credited cruises, they have full descrptions, including number of nights--those total 46 nights...add the upcoming cruise and they have accounted for 53 certain nights...

However, the remaining three credited cruises, two of which date back to the 70s, DON'T show the number of nights...and these three cruises account for FIVE of my current credits (one credit each for the 70s cruise, the 3 credit cruise was in 2005)...So, how will they account for those? Will they give me ZERO credit? Or can they make the assumption that they were 7 nights per credit? Or will I have to now prove what cruise I was on so many years ago?

Let's say they somehow just assume 7 nights per "unknown credit"...That would put me at 88 credits...It won't be accurate, but does it matter?

What it will do is to leave me even farther from "Diamond Plus" than I already am (under the current system, I likely would have achieved that in my next 11 cruises or sooner--figuring 11 seven night cruises, I would have hit D+ in another 77 cruise nights (or less by throwing in a couple of 12 night Europe cruises...but, figure around 165 total nights or less...Unless RCCL reinstituted the 3 and 4 night routes out of LA they once did, in which case, I'd get there a lot sooner...Now, I'd need another 87 nights--or 13 more 7-nighters...

Now, over on my Celebrity Captains Club ledger--just in case they decide to do any "combining"--which I hope they do--I have 16 current cruise credits...Of course, over there, their accounting is slightly messed up as well...They've double-credited me for one cruise...and their accounting for my Alaska cruise tour brings up a question: It says 7-night cruise but I have THREE credits...I am assuming it is because we did it in a Suite and it was actually a 13-night "Cruisetour"...So, my assumption, therefore, is that they credit a "cruisetour" by the total number of nights, not just the cruise portion...

So, let's assume that cruisetour land days ARE credited...

Based on the new RCCL system and the Celebrity website accounting, my total nights on Celebrity, including double points for cruises in Suites, would be 115 nights...

So, if Celebrity went to a similar system and added new tiers, we would at least be closer with them...

Of course, should they decide to somehow COMBINE points from the two lines, we would currently be at 203 total nights...and, therefore beyond the initial threshold for Diamond Plus...

Now, we all know that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity is the same ownership...and my cruising on and loyalty to BOTH lines has put lots of money into the same pocket...

So, if they REALLY wanted to be fair, they would take my 203 total nights and jump me directly into Diamond Plus...Even combining the old system first, my current total combined 30 old credits would put me into Diamond Plus...

However, I don't count on it...

I assume that when they are done converting over, I will remain Diamond and Elite and nowhere near any higher level...

And that's just the way it is...

Of course, I don't cruise for the loyalty club amenities...I cruise for the cruise itself...

Sure, I enjoy some of the amenities--particularly the free drinks in the Diamond and Elite Lounges--Of course, when we first made Diamond, we had no such lounge...Then we got that lounge experience on the Liberty of the Seas...then our next couple of cruises were on ships where they didn't have it...That's when you realize that the C&A levels don't matter...they can give and they can take away...

The whole program is at their discretion...You really haven't "earned" anything...

So, there's no reason to stress out over any of this...As long as they take nothing from you in terms of level ...Of course, they can still take amenities away from those levels...

So, does it matter?

The only comment I have is that whatever level you are the highest with, i.e. RCCL or Celebrity, then you are supposed to be the same status on both. The only difference is that with Celebrity, you are Elite (highest) even if you are D or D+ w/RCCL. Celebrity only has three levels: "Classic, Select & Elite. Wonder if they will change the way their system levels are or if they will add levels to equate to RCCL's? Guess we will find out soon enough. Pat (ronpat)

How will we get credit for Days at Sea for cruises that show up in our account as Name of ship with no number of nights? I can't imagine RCCL will go into each account and do it manually. I do not have any proof of cruises I took years ago. Does anyone have any idea?

I am at 30 cruises, so am Diamond Plus. To be honest, the difference in perks between Diamond and Diamond Plus is pretty minor - an onboard amenity, like a bottle of wine, and 15 minutes more of free internet. The larger ships have Diamond Lounges and there are very few which have a Concierge Lounge, but no Diamond Lounge, so the D+ status does not mean much. As far as upgrades - after 30 cruises (actually about 27 cruises as we have booked junior suites, which gave us 2 credits on a few cruises) - we have yet to get any upgrade. If they start crediting cruise days, vs number of cruises, it will be a little more difficult to get to a higher Crown and Anchor Status, but as the perks keep lessening, it isn't much else but a marketing ploy. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

After reading the 2009 changes and thread after thread and already starting here-I sure have learned many people cruise for perks. Not my thing but to each his own.

I for one hope that whatever they do to the loyalty program and personally I could care less if they scrap the whole darn thing, but, keep the product good and worth returning as if no loyalty program exsisited please!! My first cruise made me want to do it again and I still like cruising and expect nothing in return but a good vacation. I'd much rather this company spend time on making folks enjoy cruising and the base product and not have to worry so much about a returning guest program.

None want to admit it but it's all about the lounges and free drinks. Not one person has asked about balcony discounts, not one person has asked if the D breakfast is still going to be around, not one person has asked are the coupon books possibly changing. [at least I think-waaaaay to many pages] I'm curious what an Emerald book may look like or even if they will still have them.

I think lots of folks swore off Royal after the last lounge boot-already some are swearing the same thing now but the company survived the last time and will proably again if there is another boot. I'm thinking no-but what do I know.:o

Hey Royal-if you need more room in the lounge for the loyalty program- give the suite guests a bar set up and kick our sorry a#$% out!!!:D:p

Seriously-I wonder if it is the crowding or expense in the lounges?

Who really knows? Not us-that's for sure-we can harldy agree on anything!!!:D

I love the breakfast in the DL (great views in the AM) or CL; love the balcony discount; love the special Reservation Desk. The coupon book has some good things especially the internet credits and spa discount.

The free drinks are nice but I like the camaraderie in the lounges as much and it's great to have a couple of hors d'oeurves to tide one over to dinner. The Concierges have always been helpful in getting me spa appointments and getting us a better time at a specialty restaurant.

Karen, I am surprised you and Pete are home....glad to see your post so Bill and I can wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bill and I had a blast with you 2 and Linda and Dennis on the Oasis and dinner was the best in the Solarium Bistro.....Have fun on the 9th and Congrats for hitting # 200. We are slumming it in Jan. on the Carnival Paridise....3 day weekend....but it is an Anaheim Angel fan Cruise so should be fun. I think we are doing the Repo Radiance in May so maybe we will see you on that.

Tell Linda ( Nancy ) and Dennis that we said hi. Thanks again for all of the fun and Wine and Champange.....that just made the Oasis that much more SPECIAL!

Mike and Bill

It took us from 9/1/2002 to 9/11/2009 to become D+. Unfortunately, most of them were inside cabins and seven day cruises. We worked really hard to attain the D+ level. We are now at 31 cruise credits with RCCL. Under the new system that will equate to approximately 185-190 days. I was shocked when RCCL changed the rules to receive the coveted "crystal block" at 20 cruise credits. Didn't seem fair to me that we had to wait until we hit 30 to get the block, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Guess RCCL was trying to get more "loyals" thereby giving them an extra incentive. We are "Elite" on Celebrity by having 12 cruise credits with them. I wouldn't mind having RCCL & Celebrity combining credits, however. Pat (ronpat)

The Diamond Lounges may be more attractive than the majority of the Concierge Lounges but at least in the Concierge Lounge I'm assured of finding a place to sit. This is usually not the case in the overcrowded Diamond Lounge.

We were on the Voyager 12/12/10 and the first nite it was so crowded in the CL. There were D & D+ folks and suite folks. Not a place to sit. The second nite they moved the Diamond folks to the Vault. And some of the D+ members went there also. They came back to the CL complaining that the music was too loud, etc. Anyway, it all calmed down after the 2nd nite. According to some of the folks we saw later on told us that they turned the music down and the a/c up (too cold). I wouldn't "bash" Diamond members, we all were there once. Pat (ronpat)

Please tell me you are just joking. that idea would take a lounge away for the diamonds, again. Granted, the diamond lounge is only present on newer ships but D could select those ships if a lounge is important. D's are a larger group than D+ and many D are still smarting from the loss of CL. And the Diamond lounge is actually named for the Diamonds. If you are serious, your suggestion would create many hard feelings and would, therefore, undermine the concept of a loyalty program. If your suggestion was tongue in cheek, it is kinda funny.

Some sailings have relatively few D or D+ cruisers (like my two recent Splendour of the Seas cruises), so it doesn't much matter where they put people.

some sailings will have a large number of D and D+ cruisers. It seems to me Royal should try to make these cruises special. Instead of an "overflow" room that sounds second class, they should have a wonderful competing nightly event many people would want to attend whether D or D+. Maybe theme nights in a nice lounge ( I am not as creative as RCI event planners, but something like Sangria and tapas, margaritas and Mexican snacks, nicer beers with tailgate fare, sparkling wines with terrific entertainment). whatever goes over well without too much labor.

RCCL used to hold the CL/D & D+ in Cleopatra's Needle on the Voyager class ships. It held everyone and was really a nice, comfortable place to sit, visit and dance (yep, they even had a little band playing). The bar was great, but of course, that was before they cut it back to only free Champagne and wine. Pat (ronpat)

We were on the Voyager 12/12/10 and the first nite it was so crowded in the CL. There were D & D+ folks and suite folks. Not a place to sit. The second nite they moved the Diamond folks to the Vault. And some of the D+ members went there also. They came back to the CL complaining that the music was too loud, etc. Anyway, it all calmed down after the 2nd nite. According to some of the folks we saw later on told us that they turned the music down and the a/c up (too cold). I wouldn't "bash" Diamond members, we all were there once. Pat (ronpat)

Diamond members haven't been allowed into the Concierge Lounge since September 2009.

On Indy in Jan. 2009, they used the disco for the happy hour instead of the DL because there were so many Diamonds on Board. There was no loud music. In fact, I don't remember if there was any music. Just hors d'oeurves and waiters coming around serving drinks. Columella was the Concierge and she did a great time. I think they had 400 Diamonds and D+ but had had 700 on a previous week.

I've been thinking about how most people say they cruise for other things and would never pick a cruise/cruise line based on a loyalty program and feeling kind of guilty that it seems to make so much difference to me. Then I remembered that we often go to Las Vegas and where we stay is always determined by their loyalty program and what offers they send us. So I guess that's just the kind of person that I am. Thus I will no longer hide or make appologies for putting so much emphasis on the loyalty program when I cruise.

Archived