Prinsendam a creaky old lady???

Animated-one

Hi there,

My husband and I are currently booked on the Prinsendam on September 12, 2011 cruise. I read 3 recent reviews (dated October 2010) and needless to say, they were not very kind...Two of the reviews mentioned she was rusty inside and out, and referred to her as a "creaky old lady"! When you go on HAL's website to do a virtual tour on their staterooms, specifically AB catagory, it looks like a beautiful new ship!! I even asked our TA when was the last time the Prinsendam was refurbished, she said in January, 2010.... SO, is she a "creaky old lady" that's seen better days?? For those of you that have been on her recently, please give me your HONEST opinion.:)

p.s. Our room is in the aft AB 221

We were on the Prinsendam for over 3 weeks this past summer. She is our favorite ship in the HAL fleet and DH wants all our future HAL cruises to be on her. We didn't find her a "creaky old lady". She's known as the 'Elegant Explorer' for GOOD reason.

That said, your cabin is one of the recently added cabins. Can I just say that we wouldn't select one of them?

I am excited to board the Prinsendam in just 5 days! She will then be my home for 66 days.....and I am totally looking forward to it. I know she is an elegant ship....if I find a spot of rust somewhere I will just figure it is a part of her character.

We were on Prinsendam last summer. She is in fine shape and not at all in disrepair. I certainly would not call her a creaky old lady, but she is an older ship. What she lacks in new "Stuff", that newer, bigger ships might have, she makes up for in charm, great crew and excellent IT's

We were on the Prinsendam for over 3 weeks this past summer. She is our favorite ship in the HAL fleet and DH wants all our future HAL cruises to be on her. We didn't find her a "creaky old lady". She's known as the 'Elegant Explorer' for GOOD reason.

That said, your cabin is one of the recently added cabins. Can I just say that we wouldn't select one of them?

Okay, I feel MUCH better about the Prinsendam, she an "Elegant Explorer"!:cool: That being said, I'm curious why you would not pick an aft cabin??:confused: On most cruise ships the "Aft" cabin has a bigger balcony than the rest (excluding the suites), is there something I'm not getting??

It isn't because the cabin is an aft one per se, it is because it is one of the new ones added a year ago. As an example, I'd suggest reading the current "Amazon explorer nov 29-dec 22" thread. Post #10 mentions just one of the problems I've read about these cabins.

ALSO, at the moment and for the Grand Voyage around South America she has the man I consider HAL's BEST Hotel Manager, Firmin van Walle, who was with her in her early Royal Viking Line days. Anyone who gets to sail with him is lucky!

We were in one of the new aft cabins last summer. We were awakened regularly by the vibration of the walls and pictures and the running of the hydraulics which must be right under the aft cabins. Also if the weather is a little rough the pool above empties onto the verandas making them unusable.

Prinsendam is a lovely ship. Get out of the new aft cabins and move to midship unless you are willing to chance a noisy and wet voyage.

We were on the P'dam in November for the TA crossing---for the fourth time.

We did two crossings and some other cruising on her when she was operated by Seabourn.

She is a beautiful older ship that has been well maintained and is

always a pleasure to cruise on. Outstanding crew and officers, beautiful classic decor and a genuine "you are aboard a ship" ambiance are some of her hallmarks.

The addition of the new aft cabins has put a slight strain on Lido dining capacity at lunchtime, especially on at-sea days, but that lido issue is minor compared to lido crowding on some of the larger ships we have been on.

We wish the added deck area by the lap pool--that makes the covers over the balconies of the rooms you have booked-- had been given rounded corners to continue the classic look of the ship, especially when viewed from the aft outside dining area of the lido.

We love the size and ambiance, she is our favorite ship afloat.

We were on the P'dam in November for the TA crossing---for the fourth time.

We did two crossings and some other cruising on her when she was operated by Seabourn.

She is a beautiful older ship that has been well maintained and is

always a pleasure to cruise on. Outstanding crew and officers, beautiful classic decor and a genuine "you are aboard a ship" ambiance are some of her hallmarks.

The addition of the new aft cabins has put a slight strain on Lido dining capacity at lunchtime, especially on at-sea days, but that lido issue is minor compared to lido crowding on some of the larger ships we have been on.

We wish the added deck area by the lap pool--that makes the covers over the balconies of the rooms you have booked-- had been given rounded corners to continue the classic look of the ship, especially when viewed from the aft outside dining area of the lido.

We love the size and ambiance, she is our favorite ship afloat.

I want to thank everyone who has responsed to my post. BTW, I did (try) to look up the "Amazon Explorer" Nov. 29 - Dec. 22 posts and I saw nothing negative about an aft cabin (maybe I wasn't on the right thread):confused:.... Our TA said the "AFT" balconies on the Prinsendam were about 80 sq. ft. so that works for me:cool:...I don't want to give up our cabin unless it's a smaller room or not spacious as the rest the balconies?! Any other comments about the new aft cabins would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,

I want to thank everyone who has responsed to my post. BTW, I did (try) to look up the "Amazon Explorer" Nov. 29 - Dec. 22 posts and I saw nothing negative about an aft cabin (maybe I wasn't on the right thread):confused:....
I went and looked it up for you. Along the lines of what ajcruiser reported earlier on this thread:

Passengers in the new cabins on the stern reported water cascading from the pool onto their balcony in the rough seas.
We were in one of the new aft cabins last summer. We were awakened regularly by the vibration of the walls and pictures and the running of the hydraulics which must be right under the aft cabins. Also if the weather is a little rough the pool above empties onto the verandas making them unusable.

Prinsendam is a lovely ship. Get out of the new aft cabins and move to midship unless you are willing to chance a noisy and wet voyage.

Like I said, we wouldn't book one.... But I'm glad someone does. ;)

Okay, I feel MUCH better about the Prinsendam, she an "Elegant Explorer"!:cool: That being said, I'm curious why you would not pick an aft cabin??:confused: On most cruise ships the "Aft" cabin has a bigger balcony than the rest (excluding the suites), is there something I'm not getting??

I certainly don't mind an aft cabin. Mrs Banjo & I usually book a Deluxe Suite, (last time we upgraded to the Penthouse... ..but that is another story), and on the Prinsendam, they are all up front on the Veranda and Sports Decks.

We have also sailed on the Princess Lines; The Royal and her 2 sister ships, the Pacific and Ocean are similar size to Prinsendam and have Aft suites. They are fantastic! We are planning a September Holy land cruise on the Pacific. If all works out well, I will be booking one of the aft suites.

We love the Prinsendam. Elegant and reminiscent of a fine old liner rather than a glitzy piece of Las Vegas set upon the water. Her staff is truly the best from either of her captains who are both wonderful each in their own way to her hotel managers to the best crew in the HAL fleet. They make you feel special, at home, and cannot do enough for you.

If you are looking for the new, flashy amenities of the large glitzy new builds this ship is not for you. If you are looking for great itineraries and a laid back elegance, you will have it aboard this ship. She is not new -- but she is in great repair (we spent 36 days aboard her last summer) and can't wait to go back for another 28 days this April.

One of the best things about the Prinsendam is she is small enough for you to get to know both crew and passengers well as you will run into folks more than once. And, of course, the HAL crew members will quickly remember your name and your preferences.

In 2007 we spent 27 days in cabin 479 which is aft but not all the way aft -- and there is a pronounced vibration (as well as some resultant creaks) from the engines that we were constantly aware of -- more than you will experience in more recently constructed ships. Just so you know.

This past summer we were in 445 and it was quiet and smooth.

I guess this "creaky" old man loves being on creakly old ships because the Prinsendam has become one of our favorite ships (and we have been on more than 50 different ships). We have a friend who hates Paris because he says the city is old. Yes, it is true that the Prinsendam is showing its age (our cabin had rust and peeling paint all around the portholes). But she is a classy lady and we look forward to our next cruise (41 days) on her this coming year. In all fairness, we did meet one couple on the Prinsendam who hated the ship. But, that was one couple...and only one couple and their complaint was that the ship was too small and they were bored.

Hank

We spent 26 nites aboard Prinsendam in a Main Deck cabin slightly forward of midships. We loved the location, but truth be told, our cabin did creak! Yeah, I know it sounds silly, but it actually made a distinct groan that we've not heard on any other ship. It wasn't continuous or particularly bothersome & we got used to it quickly. In fact, we came to love that distinct creaking on Prinsendam & we miss it when we're on other ships.

Guys,

The OP seems to be a newbie. Moreover, the OP may be a low risk taker!

Personally, I wouldn't offer any reassurances. The OP have to decide for themselves whether to pay the final deposit.

There are many regular cruisers who have adapted to the Prinsendam's peculiarities. However, it must also mean that a number of one-time passengers have not returned. You don't know which group the OP belongs to.

It would be different with an issue of fact. “Are there many sharks in these waters?” You can offer the reassurance that no shark attack has been reported for many years!

We finally went and read the 3 October reviews and noticed that 2 of the 3 reviews gave the Prinsendam the highest overall rating. The one very negative review left us scratching our heads since this was nothing like our experience this past May when we cruised for 42 days on a transatlantic and then in Europe. My DW and I thought the food in the MDR was about as good as we have experienced on any mass-market cruise line in several years. We seldom had a problem finding tables in the lido buffet area (and our cruise was totally full), thought the crew was close to perfect, and even enjoyed most of the entertainment. We do agree that the ship has more then its share of rust, but we do not let some rust on the hull (or in our cabin) bother us to a point where we get upset. And sure, the Prinsendam does attract an older clientele because she does lots of very long interesting itineraries. On our cruise we did feel like the babies on the ship (and we are in our 60s) but really enjoyed the passengers who all seemed to have very interesting life stories to share. We did have a good laugh at dinner one night when somebody asked where everyone was when FDR died and all but us (we were not born) remembered every detail.

Hank

Guys,

The OP seems to be a newbie. Moreover, the OP may be a low risk taker!

Personally, I wouldn't offer any reassurances. The OP have to decide for themselves whether to pay the final deposit.

There are many regular cruisers who have adapted to the Prinsendam's peculiarities. However, it must also mean that a number of one-time passengers have not returned. You don't know which group the OP belongs to.

It would be different with an issue of fact. “Are there many sharks in these waters?” You can offer the reassurance that no shark attack has been reported for many years!

Dear HappyinVan,

If you are referring to me as a newbie than you are sadly mistaken! My husband and I have been avid cruisers for over 30 years. The purpose of this forum is to gather knownledge from prior cruise passagers about specific ships and itineraries. That is what "Cruise Critics" is all about (sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly with fellow cruisers)! I posted my questions as a direct result of several reviews on Cruise Critics that addressed these issues. Thank you to all of my fellow cruisers for your positive feedback as I now feel more comfortable and excited about our upcoming cruise. As far as your negative comments, you don't sound too "Happy" after all!

PS. We always choose an itinerary over the ship; this one is great!

I have never been on this ship. However those who have have raved about it. Most rate it the best of the Fleet. I don't do Europe and when this ship is in the Caribbean, I am not able to get away so I will probably never be on her unless HAL sends her on an Alaskan run. I hope you enjoy this ship.

Archived