Ryndam Trip Report - Cruise of Nov. 28th

fuzzywuzzy

Sorry for the delay in posting my trip report but with Christmas and moving, etc. I have finally completed it. I hope it isn't too long. If anyone has any further questions, please let me know.

We drove to Tampa late morning on Nov. 28th from Lakeland where we have a winter home. This is so convenient to find this cruise port and my husband parks the car in their parking building for approx. $100.00 for the week. We have never gone through embarkation as smoothly and efficiently as we did this day. We left Lakeland about 11:15 a.m. and were onboard by 12:50 p.m. !! We didn’t even have to sit in the waiting area this time for our number to be called. We walked right onto the ship after leaving the registration counter!! How easy is that?

Then upon boarding, we could immediately go to our cabin as it was ready for us. Our luggage arrived shortly thereafter. We loved our cabin was a verandah suite on the 10th deck. It was SO convenient to everything. We were steps away from the Lido deck and yet our cabin was very quiet. We had a Jacuzzi tub as well and I certainly enjoyed using it a few times. Our verandah was big enough for a chair, small table and a lounger. We really enjoyed sitting out there listening to the waves below and so private. This was our first time having a balcony. Now I’m totally spoiled.

We proceeded to the Lido buffet area to have lunch. We were surprised to note that the barbecue area was not open around the Neptune pool. Apparently they are doing things a little differently on boarding day to cut down on the risks of spreading germs. The staff serve you for about two days and then you can serve yourself. I went to the young man making the grilled sandwiches – he was “painfully” slow !! We had been looking forward to a burger but that’s OK. If it cuts down on the incidences of illness, then it’s worth it.

We had not sailed on the Ryndam since its refurbishments. Our last cruise on this ship was exactly a year ago. The ship is very lovely with upgraded public areas, new carpets, new bar areas, new furniture, etc. We noticed that the Explorer’s Lounge has been reduced in size and the piano bar is more open with a martini bar as well. The Crow’s Nest also has some new furnishings and floors. Our cabin also looked refurbished with new draperies, countertops, carpeting, etc.

My husband and I had late seating (8:00 pm) in the diningroom at a table for two this time. We loved our spot as we overlooked the dining area below. Dinners were delicious. Our servers as usual worked very hard and were very efficient.

We thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the Explorer’s Lounge before dinner listening to the string quartet called the Adaggio Strings. They were extremely good. I especially loved to listen to them play Bolero but the girls should look a little happier. If they smiled, I think their faces would crack.

Monday morning we had arranged for a Meet and Greet with other Cruise Critic message board people in the Crow’s Nest. It was quite successful. We were provided with complimentary Mimosas, coffee, cookies as the ship’s management had to move us last minute from the Explorer’s Lounge to the Crow’s Nest. We had a nice visit with the others.

Ports of Call

Our first port of call was Key West. We docked at about 1:00 p.m. The weather was perfect at about 82 degrees F. with a soft breeze. Even though it was a rather brief visit, we thoroughly enjoyed Key West. We had never been here before and wasn’t sure what to expect other than what we have heard and read about. I was very pleasantly surprised at how pretty and clean it is as well as very lush with trees and beautiful vegetation. Some of the residential areas are very lovely with big homes. A few large historic homes have been turned into dining establishments. Key West reminds me of a Caribbean village without the third world poverty.

There are also the funky shopping areas which is very interesting with lots of open air bars. Of course we made our way to Kermit’s where I bought a frozen key lime pie dipped in chocolate on a stick. It was SO good. It is literally a piece of pie that has been frozen with a stick stuck in the one end.

The highlight of our visit was visiting the Mel Fisher museum and viewing the treasures taken from the Atocha Spanish galleon that had been lost at sea in the 1600’s. This was absolutely fascinating. We saw gold ingots, pieces of eight, raw emeralds, gold chains that were as thick as my thumb to name a few of the treasure and stories about the Spanish galleon and who had been onboard. Upstairs there was an exhibit of the slave trade at the time with stories about the slave ships that docked at Key West in 1860. Horrifying.

We boarded the Ryndam at 4:00 p.m. and sadly had to say goodbye to Key West. There was lots we didn’t get a chance to see. As we sailed away, we watched the party atmosphere down below on the dock area where people congregate to watch musicians, etc. And to watch the sunset. That evening it was quite cool though and cloudy so there wasn’t much of a sunset.

Dec. 1st – Ocho Rios, Jamaica

The weather was lovely this day with temps. About 86 F. At first there was a downpour of rain as people were disembarking but luckily it lasted only briefly. We weren’t sure what to do this day but decided to wing it and got off the ship to head into town by a taxi. We found many buses waiting to take passengers wherever they wanted to go and ended up on a bus that took us to Dunn’s River Falls which was only a short ride from our dock. If we had known, we would have gone there but we let off one family and then the guide took us up into the hills to see a lovely view of our ship docked far below. So beautiful. It only cost us $4.00 each one way to the shopping area but we lucked out with this little tour as well into the countryside. There were huge Banyan trees, banana trees and flowering vegetation everywhere. We drove down twisty turny little roads and saw some of the homes. Some were large and beautiful and some were smaller. We were dropped off at a shopping mall and then the bus came back with the guide at whatever time we wanted. We spent an hour or so going from store to store and bought Blue Mountain coffee, Jamaican rum, and a few gift items. You had to barter on price. Not too much hassle here.

Grand Cayman Island – Dec. 2nd

Sailed into Grand Cayman Island at about 7:40 a.m. Beautiful morning. We had a ship excursion today to swim with the Stingrays!! We were off early and fortunately too because the water became too rough and the captain stopped others from getting off the ship later as we had to tender to Georgetown. It was a short ride but quite rough.

We boarded our bus and were taken to the catamaran where we began our ride out into the huge bay to a sandbar where the stingrays are located. The catamaran was very nice with a bar in the middle and a washroom. What more could you want? LOL. There were two young men and a woman who were our guides. The water was absolutely gorgeous – aqua blue, crystal clear and warm water and you stand on soft white sand. When we arrived at the area, there were a few other boats there as well with people in the water. You can see the rays swimming about under water !! It was so amazing. I would do this again in a heartbeat!! I was a little nervous at first as I’m not a swimmer, but not to worry. You are in only about 4 to 5 feet of water. Although it was windy that day and the swells were fairly large so you had to watch or some swells would go over your head and my husband and I are tall people. The rays are so gentle. Our guide held out his arms while one big stingray settled in his arms with its face towards him. People could have their picture taken with it which I did. You can purchase these pictures later onboard for $30.00. I thought the price was a bit steep but we bought the memory stick with all the pics.

People are not allowed to feed the stingrays anymore because people were feeding them the wrong things and they were dying! Now only the guides feed them the correct type of food. The rays have intelligent eyes. Some of the stingrays were big – maybe 5 feet in diameter and others were small. We were out in the water for maybe an hour. We didn’t feel rushed at all and I thoroughly enjoyed the water as well. So beautiful.

Upon returning to town after the excursion, we headed for Margaritaville for lunch. It was quite the happening place but FAR TOO EXPENSIVE. One small plastic glass of beer was $7.00. Come on. Stop gouging people. After having lunch and a beer, we proceeded to the shops but it was SO OVER CROWDED. This is totally unacceptable to allow SIX cruise ships at once to be docked at this small place. The town cannot accommodate all the people. We were disappointed with Georgetown. It was very pretty with upscale shopping but it was far too expensive as mentioned before and didn’t have a Caribbean feel at all. As we were walking to some of the stores, we suddenly noticed a huge lineup at the dock where people were getting on the tenders to go back to the ship. The Niew Amsterdam was also docked nearby us. There were three or four other ships docked on the other side of the island so therefore this made for an over crowded Georgetown. When we saw the lineup we thought we better get in line also as the last tender was supposed to be at 3:30. So needless to say, people were not happy having to stand in the blazing hot sun for over an hour to get into the tenders. The town should provide a more shady area for passengers. But we did learn later that the reason for the lines was due to the fact that the tenders were taking longer than usual because of the rough seas and were only allowing half the number of people on the tenders. It was very difficult to tie up at the ship and we smashed into the ship at one point. The crew was very good at helping everyone off the tender boat and we were whisked up the stairs so fast into the ship, all I saw was a flurry of hands and feet as I was helped up into the ship.

Dec. 3rd – Cozumel

There were SIX ships docked at Cozumel. We were right alongside the Norwegian Spirit. Temperatures were just right – about 75 F. so it was very comfortable for walking around the town. We had a great time walking around, stopping for a beer here and there at the outside cafes and shopping. Be very careful about bartering. You should immediately offer half what the shop owners ask for an item. There are many, many stores and a great place to look for silver if that is what you like.

Sat. Dec. 4th - Sea Day

We enjoyed sleeping in this morning. I sure will miss the lovely beds. The cabin is so comfortable and quiet at night. I enjoyed the disembarkation briefing and farewell. They always make it seem like it's the first time and that we are all very special to them.

At 12:30 we went to the Mariners' luncheon. We enjoyed our lunch with two other couples. One couple from Vancouver, B.C. and another older charming couple from N. Carolina.

We filled out our surveys; asked for a preview printout of our account - oh the joys of the last day. Hubby and I went to the Crow's Nest for Happy Hour from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. I really liked the new layout of the day's events. It is much more easy to read as it follows the time of day and what is going on every hour. I participated in Tai Chi a few times and really enjoyed that although this time, at 5:00 p.m. behind the Crow's Nest, the weather was changing and getting much cooler and very windy. We were almost froze by the time we were finished.

Master Chef's dinner tonight. The food was delicious. Said our goodbyes to Walter in the Explorer's Lounge and to our servers in the diningroom.

Disembarkation was a breeze. We were given coloured tags to attach to our luggage which we then set outside the cabin door the last night. The staff picked up luggage as soundlessly as a mouse during the night. The next day we were last to disembark as we were only driving to Lakeland. There were no announcements whatsoever. Everyone left according to their instructions on our disembarkation letter. Our luggage was waiting for us inside the warehouse upon leaving the ship which was colour coordinated into sections. It was extremely easy. We proceeded through Customs which was easy also. My husband went to get our car and within about 20 minutes we were driving away from the cruiseport. Weather was quite chilly this morning and everyone had on sweaters or jackets.

All in all, we had an extremely lovely week and would not hesitate to go back on the Ryndam.

I don't think I have been on the Ryndam since 2002 but I have sailed this ship on several occassions and I always liked this ship very much. You're report let me know she is still a fine ship. Thank you for sharing your report with us and have a Very Happy New Year.

Loved your review. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam at Grand Cayman the same day you were there. I had an aft wrap around suite so got to see your Ryndam swinging around with a birds eye view. What a sight!!

You make me want to do the Sting ray excursion EXCEPT I would definitely drown!! I am 5 ft tall so.....LOL

Joanie

• 2 years later...

Thank you so much for your review. We'll be on the Ryndam soon, doing different ports, but I was happy to read about the good condition of the ship. I wonder why Explorations was smaller. Did they put something else there? Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Carol - I'm sure you didn't notice, but this is a thread/review from 2010 so I don't think the OP can accurately address your inquiries about the condition of the ship at this point. Not sure why it was resurected from 2010, but it was. Hopefully you'll find more current information about your upcomign Ryndam cruise. Have a wonderful time, I'm jealous! Getting out of the freezing cold and escaping the winter blues would be good medicine for this Pennsylvania girl:)!

Thank you so much for your review. We'll be on the Ryndam soon, doing different ports, but I was happy to read about the good condition of the ship. I wonder why Explorations was smaller. Did they put something else there? Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Perhaps when they added Pinnacle Grille. This review is two years old and it could be long before two years that the OP was on the 1st time...and noticed the difference two years ago.

Archived