Undercover Boss - Sunday at 9 p.m.

Oceanwench

The thing is, there is a difference between "crew" and "cruise staff" in the hierarchy.

The crew, or the more drudge oriented workers, do not live as "luxuriously" as the higher echelon staff.

Right ... and the position(s) he was allegedly testing for clearly did not warrant those accomodations.

...so many thoughts - but the primary one was "How on earth did this guy become CEO of NCL?"

He knows nearly nothing about cruising.

He knows nearly nothing about service.

He knows nothing about entertainment.

He doesn't even know that much about his customers.

Then I read his Bio:

"As CEO, Sheehan brings with him an extensive background in financial and senior executive positions." "Sheehan...is a Certified Public Accountant."

Say what you will about Micky Arison, but he spent his early years tending bar, waiting tables and dealing cards aboard his father's ships - and later working in sales and reservations. Arison knows first-hand what it takes to run a ship, how to sell a vacation and how to build ships that people want to cruise in.

As for Sheehan, while he may be a nice enough guy, all he really knows is how to crunch numbers - He couldn't do better or worse if NCL sold toothpaste, radial tires or toasters.

We finally got to watch it last night -- very interesting.

Guess the ice rink will go.

Enjoyed the show, and the NCL ships looked much better than I thought they would....

I always thought the Epic looked awful, but it seemed quite interesting in the show. Obviously a good PR exercise...

The ice rink though, was appalling... No wonder no one used it!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

...so many thoughts - but the primary one was "How on earth did this guy become CEO of NCL?"

He knows nearly nothing about cruising.

He knows nearly nothing about service.

He knows nothing about entertainment.

He doesn't even know that much about his customers.

Then I read his Bio:

"As CEO, Sheehan brings with him an extensive background in financial and senior executive positions." "Sheehan...is a Certified Public Accountant."

Say what you will about Micky Arison, but he spent his early years tending bar, waiting tables and dealing cards aboard his father's ships - and later working in sales and reservations. Arison knows first-hand what it takes to run a ship, how to sell a vacation and how to build ships that people want to cruise in.

As for Sheehan, while he may be a nice enough guy, all he really knows is how to crunch numbers - He couldn't do better or worse if NCL sold toothpaste, radial tires or toasters.

This sums it up nicely. It was also irritating to watch Sheehan moan and groan while having to do anything physically challenging. Observe the thickness of the work gloves he wears while putting down the ice rink while his female instructor is barehanded. And wow, what a dancer.

It has been years since we sailed on an NCL ship -- things sure did look differently than when we sailed on them.

KK, actually we were extremely impressed with NCL especially the Pearl. The ship was beautiful. The Garden Villa area was amazing. We really loved our Suite. To date the Pearl has my very favorite Spa area. I think they have come a long way in the last few years.

As for how Sheehan acted I think it was just that an ACT. :D

KK, actually we were extremely impressed with NCL especially the Pearl. The ship was beautiful. The Garden Villa area was amazing. We really loved our Suite. To date the Pearl has my very favorite Spa area. I think they have come a long way in the last few years.

As for how Sheehan acted I think it was just that an ACT. :D

And the fact that the ships are that good is all due to the ship crew/staff.

Looks like the cruise experience gets no help from Mr. Sheehan.

We thought he came across as sort of backward, not socially facile. He seemed to not know what to say to passengers and appeared to blush frequently. But if he's the CEO and has made improvements to NCL, that must have been an act.

I thought it was interesting when it showed him in his assistant waiters role. I had no idea there was a escalator that the waiters have to negotiate every time they pick up food to serve.

As others said, the crew members who were filmed with him must have known something was going on with the camera rolling. Obviously NCL chose employees who were already doing a good job, probably in line for promotions. The show looked like an ad for NCL.

I had no idea there was a escalator that the waiters have to negotiate every time they pick up food to serve.

Many ships have kitchens located on different decks than one or more levels of the dining rooms they serve - Escalators have been in use aboard numerous ships with this design solution since at least the mid-1930's.

Obviously NCL chose employees who were already doing a good job, probably in line for promotions. The show looked like an ad for NCL.

Quite so - No company is going to allow their "losers" to be on TV, much less chatting up the CEO.

It occurred to me how sad it was that Sheehan didn't remember the lady waitress, but she clearly remembered him after serving him just once despite his "Disguise" - I thought it sad since she's not only a smart and hardworking person, but one of those people who are just naturally memorable.

This wasn't one of the better Undercover programs. What I wanted was to see him wash his face in the sink on the Epic because of all the comments I've heard about how that style of sink is hard to use and the water goes everywhere. Maybe that's why he used the sink on Pride of America.

Come to think of it, why does the show always have "here I am at the sink washing my face" shots, in fact most of the bedroom scenes should be edited out.

Quite so - No company is going to allow their "losers" to be on TV, much less chatting up the CEO.

I agree. We have seen better episodes of this show (which I have always liked), but it has always occurred to me that the employees know they are being filmed regardless of who they are working with. Also, NCL management knew they were being filmed. There also had to be a large number of management who knew the CEO was there as he had to get through security, etc.

I am glad several staff did get promotions (one to a training program).

I watched the show with DH, I thought it was OK. DH didn't care for it. I did expect more from the CEO, he seemed a bit uneducated about cruising. When he mentioned that his cabin was similar to some of the crew both DH and I said "NO WAY". The crew probably were whispering under their breath "I WISH" when they saw the show.

When he was painting the railings he did a poor job, wouldn't you think as the CEO that you would want to do the job right the first time. Unless he wanted to see how his supervisor would reprimand him for doing a poor job.

He seemed very disorganized when he was working with Sylvia. She was a peach and I would love to have her as a waitress she seems so pleasant and loves her customers. I have never sailed on NCL however I did notice many Americans working on the ship, did anyone notice that when watching the TV show? When I've sailed before the majority of workers where from other countries and to be honest I've not seen many Americans if any on cruise ships. (Not talking about the entertainers, the actual laborers)

I think this was a good marketing campaign for NCL and other cruise lines may follow. Its too bad that he was not paired up with the housekeeper. Those poor souls work their tails off from 7am to 10pm with little time for themselves. That would have been a good show to see him scrubbing the bathroom down.

I have never sailed on NCL however I did notice many Americans working on the ship, did anyone notice that when watching the TV show?

The NCL Pride of America has more American employees as it is a USA registered ship. It does not have to comply with the Jones Act for foreign vessels, so can start and finish its USA cruises, around the Hawaiian islands, without visiting a foreign land. As such it cannot employ foreign workers the same way other cruise ships, which are registered in other countries can...

The Epic, like most other cruiseliners, had some American/Western entertainment staff, but most of the other staff looked like they were from other countries.

:D:D:D

Fun to watch because we enjoy cruising, but I, too, felt it was a bit "sanitized." For starters, for sure they selected the participants on recommendations of senior staff...those weren't just "any employee."

The production company selected the final crew members to be included in the show and it was up to them whether or not they wanted to be filmed. They were told it was a reality show but they did not know that it was Undercover Boss. The CEO actually worked in a couple of other positions but they were edited out of the show.

This wasn't one of the better Undercover programs. What I wanted was to see him wash his face in the sink on the Epic because of all the comments I've heard about how that style of sink is hard to use and the water goes everywhere. Maybe that's why he used the sink on Pride of America.

Come to think of it, why does the show always have "here I am at the sink washing my face" shots, in fact most of the bedroom scenes should be edited out.

Maybe all we all need to do to be promoted to CEO of our respective companies, is to wash our faces at night. Who knew! That must be where I'm going wrong LOL.

As for the episode, I was hoping he'd tail a cabin steward. I'm sorry but, tailing someone that was working the repelling wall? Not all that difficult a task, and not all that exciting.

I'd love to see a show come on about the inner workings of the cruise industry, you know, what it takes to run a ship for a typical itinerary. I think it would amaze most of us to see the intricacies of getting it all together. I can't even prepare a meal where the items all get done at the same time, yet these mega ships do so, with thousands of passengers eating simultaneously. Kudos to all of them, really. I know I couldn't do it!

I watched the show with DH, I thought it was OK. DH didn't care for it. I did expect more from the CEO, he seemed a bit uneducated about cruising. When he mentioned that his cabin was similar to some of the crew both DH and I said "NO WAY". The crew probably were whispering under their breath "I WISH" when they saw the show.

That's the first thing I thought to myself when I saw the cabin he was staying in. Over the years, we've talked to the crew, and even some of the musicians & entertainers, and Sheehan's cabin was NOT the typical crew member cabin! My understanding is that there are at least TWO crew members in a cabin. Maybe someone else who knows more can enlighten the subject a bit more.

Maybe Sheehan should have been a passenger and really experienced the cruise from our perspective. I've never been on NCL, but have heard over and over that they are not that good, especially in the food area. I had a niece who worked as a cook in the kitchen, and she said it wasn't a good place to work, but that was several years ago. Even my TA has warned us about NCL.

I've never been on NCL, but have heard over and over that they are not that good, especially in the food area. I had a niece who worked as a cook in the kitchen, and she said it wasn't a good place to work, but that was several years ago. Even my TA has warned us about NCL.

Why do people who haven't tried a particular line feel it necessary to criticize it? I have been on NCL and couldn't tell much differemce from Princess. NCL gets a bum rep, but they are much the same as all the major lines. There are many, many people who love NCL. (We liked it better than Carnival, but not as well as Princess.) I haven't been on HAL yet, so I can't compare HAL to NCL.

Why do people who haven't tried a particular line feel it necessary to criticize it? I have been on NCL and couldn't tell much differemce from Princess. NCL gets a bum rep, but they are much the same as all the major lines. There are many, many people who love NCL. (We liked it better than Carnival, but not as well as Princess.) I haven't been on HAL yet, so I can't compare HAL to NCL.

How true! We just finished our first HAL cruise and liked NCL and Princess much better.

Did anyone find it odd that Sheehan works in Miami, but his family resides in NYC? No, he & his wife are not divorced.

Probably points to the fact that he doesn't intend to stay with NCL for a long time. Some people don't want to uproot their lives for their jobs, especially if they tend to move around more frequently than others.

Else, maybe his marriage works better that way. Some don't have the typical married life. Or, maybe they hate eachother lol. You never know.

Probably points to the fact that he doesn't intend to stay with NCL for a long time. Some people don't want to uproot their lives for their jobs, especially if they tend to move around more frequently than others.

Else, maybe his marriage works better that way. Some don't have the typical married life. Or, maybe they hate eachother lol. You never know.

My guess would be that he doesn't plan to make it a life long career...

How true! We just finished our first HAL cruise and liked NCL and Princess much better.

I totally agree and fightt that little battle here often about people who comment about something they have never cruised on or tried and is simply just word of mouth :rolleyes:

While I agree I am a big HAL fan I also love NCL. I actually rate them very close to HAL with RCCL being at the very bottom of my list of cruise ines. I would not hesitate to book another NCL cruise and have a Future Cruise Deposit with them just not sure when I can fit it in. I just wish they did more West Coast sailings and were not pulling the Star out of San Pedro :(.

Archived