Undercover Boss - Sunday at 9 p.m.

Oceanwench

I think the idea is that it is a chance to see the behind the scenes operations of a cruise line. Just because this forum is HAL specific does not preclude people from posting items of general interest.

Yes however "general interest" is in the eye of the beholder. One or two non HAL topics from time to time isn't much but anything more and IMHO it detracts from the focus of the forum. Not trying to rock the boat, pardon the nautical pun, just adding my humble opinion.

Yes however "general interest" is in the eye of the beholder. One or two non HAL topics from time to time isn't much but anything more and IMHO it detracts from the focus of the forum. Not trying to rock the boat, pardon the nautical pun, just adding my humble opinion.

I'm the OP and to answer your question, very often cruise-related -- but not HAL-specific -- topics are discussed here.

Why? Because this is a specific community, what brings us together is our appreciation of HAL, but also our interest in cruising.

I can think of dozens of non-HAL-specific topics we've discussed here.

News stories on other cruise lines - rogue waves, missing passengers, rescued passengers ...

Also a big topic was the TV show about building a cruise ship. Was it the Oasis? I don't recall, but it was discussed here. People were genuinely interested in seeing how a ship was built. It did not have to be a HAL ship.

There have been threads wishing others a happy holiday or expressing appreciation for those who have served this country.

Again, we are a community here, and so we naturally want to express these tidings to those who are our online friends.

When I read about the upcoming show featuring NCL, I immediately thought, "The people on the HAL board might find this interesting."

To post it on the NCL board ... preaching to the choir. I am sure they have discussed it already. I didn't even look to see.

I am appreciative when people come to the HAL board and bring things to enrich my knowledge of cruising. It doesn't always have to be HAL-specific.

I like to think I'm not so narrow-minded that I can't read anything that does not have a mention of HAL in it. ;)

Our last few cruises have been on HAL, so this is the board I have bookmarked. That said, we've spent many happy hours on NCL (and found their suite perks to be outstanding), and would be interested in ANY Undercover Boss segment that had behind the scenes cruise information for any line. I have found most HAL cruisers to be well traveled with wide ranges of interests. Thanks for the original post.

Our last few cruises have been on HAL, so this is the board I have bookmarked. That said, we've spent many happy hours on NCL (and found their suite perks to be outstanding), and would be interested in ANY Undercover Boss segment that had behind the scenes cruise information for any line. I have found most HAL cruisers to be well traveled with wide ranges of interests. Thanks for the original post.

I agree thanks OW :) Travelmatron we too loved NCL and their Suite perks what's not to love :D While I have cruised many different lines recently the HAL board is my CC home and the one I check into daily. Because I do not have an upcoming NCL cruise booked nor do I check into the front page of CC I have the HAL board book marked this was a great reminder for me because I really wanted to see this.

This NCL topic is in the HAL forum because? :confused:

To me the statistics of 31 replies and 950+ views are sufficient answer to that question. If a thread doesn't interest you you are not obligated to click on it.

Roy

Well I am far from a first time cruiser and I absolutely LOVE NCL:) In many ways they have HAL Beat, especially when it comes to Suite passengers and amenities;) I have sailed NCL twice the last was this past APril on the Pearl, it reminded me so much of how HAL use to be about 5 years ago. I love their Past Passnger Parties, Officers are so approachable and the crew... well they were fantastic.

NCL has this bad stigma they cannot seem to get rid of, it is so much like the stigma that HAL is nothing but Seniors and we know that is not true ;)

So unless you have sailed NCL recently do not knock it because you really have no idea.

As for this show Sunday night.... I cannot wait :D

I couldn't agree more Lisa!! I too love NCL!! It's the same stigma that Carnival has...that it is just for partiers yet most guest on CCL say the food is just as good as HAL and there are all kinds of ages..not just spring breakers! I won't judge Carnival until I go on them...I admit that HAL is a good bargain (all the wine you want to bring on, only a couple of pay restaurants so you won't spend too much, etc...) but I still prefer NCL.

I can't wait to see the show tonight...thanks OP for posting!

I just wish the CEO's of cruise lines would go undercover as a PASSENGER, not a crew member! Though doing the latter will probably prove somewhat useful, most of the Undercover Boss episodes I've seen focus on just a few employees and what the CEO can do to help them personally. Usually, large scale improvements are not made as a result of these fun little forays by the CEO's. But, who knows, maybe this upcoming episode featuring the NCL CEO will be different. I certainly hope so! :cool:

Hey, better yet, pay ME to go undercover as a passenger. Or just let me cruise for free as a "secret shopper." Ha! :D

Well Thanks for posting because I would have forgot about it, and missed it, as I do not read every forum

Will be interesting but will be like most other times, some great employees, some not so great, and of course we will only see what they want us to see, (reality tv is a bit not so real sometimes)

But will def be very interesting all the same.

It very well could be interesting.

Even though we have never watched the show -- a couple of years ago our TV news stations talked about one boss discovering how a manager was treating some of his employees -- and the manager was fired. Can't remember the restaurant they mentioned.

Hooters... The way the manager was treating people was pretty bad. His excuse was that ran one of the most profitable ones. At the end of the episode it said he was "no longer with the company".

Could not have been too bright since he knew there were cameras there. :rolleyes:

It very well could be interesting.

Even though we have never watched the show -- a couple of years ago our TV news stations talked about one boss discovering how a manager was treating some of his employees -- and the manager was fired. Can't remember the restaurant they mentioned.

I saw that episode. It was Hooters. You can't imagine how demeaning that manager treated the girls, and saw nothing wrong with it!

Because it has to do with cruising. Just because it is happening on a NCL ship does not mean that avid HAL cruisers would not be interested. Personally I enjoy watching anything that relates to the cruise industry.

I completely agree Lisa..:)

Oh yes you are trying to rock the boat & decide what belongs on this forum & what does not..As a long time CC member I appreciate it when others may bring up something of interest about another Cruise Line on this forum..

If you believe a subject detracts from this forum, may I suggest you either skip over it or let the Moderators know your thoughts..It is their job to decide what subjects can be aired & are conducive to the focus of this forum..

JMO...Happy New Year...Betty

"The Steelers come on at 4:30 -- and if they run late -- as per norm in our area -- 60 minutes has to be shown in its entirety!! And has happened so often -- a show is dropped from the evening schedule -- we gave up watching Amazing Race as it was cut out too often."

CBS has never preempted the Amazing Race--or any other Sunday night program--due to football running late. The primetime lineup is delayed, certainly, but NEVER is a show skipped altogether.

Because it has to do with cruising. Just because it is happening on a NCL ship does not mean that avid HAL cruisers would not be interested. Personally I enjoy watching anything that relates to the cruise industry.

I would also agree, I have never sailed on NCL and when I read the description of "Undercover Boss" which is a show I don't watch, and saw that it had to do with cruising you bet your bottom dollar that I set my DVR because it has to do with cruising and I just love to cruise with hubby. ;)

I watched the show, and felt it didn't really give much of an "insider" look at things. I highly doubt that the cabin he was in was a typical low-level crew member's cabin. It looked like a passenger cabin to me.

I think his cabin was one of the 'studio' cabins...not a crew cabin. I really appreciated how hard Sylvia, the restaurant server, was working...hilarious that she recognized him! My goodness they deserve every dollar they get!

Archived